***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,594,415 Views | 47835 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by Rossticus
Rossticus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Rossticus
txags92
AG
aggiehawg said:

Blackbeard94 said:

Rossticus said:

Russia demanding things makes me laugh.
Return the note with a simple line at the bottom...."Go **** Yourself"
"Lend-Lease, MOFOs. You never paid us back from WWII. So we are repossessing your equipment, one piece at a time. Pray we don't alter the agreement further."
Just tell them we will stop supplying weapons when they stop attacking sovereign countries.
Rossticus
aggiehawg
AG
Thanks for the explanation folks.
Ulysses90
AG
The CBR generates a 10 digit grid to the point of origin and a presumptive weapon identification based on the velocity and trajectory. It can distinguish a 122mm rocket from a 122mm howitzer shell or a 82mm mortar based on those factors but it would probably not be able to distinguish a 122mm howitzer shell from a 152mm howitzer shell unless the 152mm trajectory as longer than the range of a 122mm.

I don't believe any of the Ukrainian artillery has a digital fire control systembut that shouldn't cause a significant time lag. Howitzers assigned a mission of counterbattery fire are usually manned with a crew that has a projectile fuzed with a VT (varaiable time) proximity fuze for an air burst 7m above the ground ready to ram into the breech. When they get the fire command from the battery Fire Direction Center the gun crew traverses and elevates the tube onto the taret, set the fuze time, rams the projo and puts the propellant charge behind it, locks the breech, and hooks up and pulls the lanyard. All of that should take less than 30 seconds from the time that deflection and quadrant are sent by the FDC even in a fully manual artillery battery.

As a historical example, back in 1983 during the Marine Corps presence in Beirut at the airport compound they were getting sporadic mortar fire from Druze militia that would set up 82mm mortars on street corners and quicky lob a half dozen mortar projectIles before picking up the mortar and displacing.

The Marines fixed that issue by setting a 105mm gun section with pre-fuzed proJos that only had to have the charges cut and they had the CBR turned on all the time. The Druze didn't have their own radar so there was no danger in having the CBR turned on around the clock.

The CBR was able to detect the 82mm mortar rounds on their ascending arc and send the location to the FDC in seconds. The gun crew on the 105mm howitzer could fire two rounds at low angle that hit the mortar position before the high-angle mortar rounds even hit the ground. The Druze stopped lobbing mortar rounds at the Marine compound because they were superstitious and believed that the Marines' guns were haunted because they could shoot back before their mortar rounds exploded.

deddog
AG
PJYoung said:

They should be easily able to cannibalize parts from other tanks, at least for the T-72s.
Waffledynamics
AG
PJYoung said:

Didn't they already announce this weeks ago, or was that another factory?

Edit: Yes, there was an article about this on March 22nd.

https://www.newsweek.com/russia-halts-tank-production-due-supply-problems-ukraine-claims-1690388
aggiehawg
AG
deddog said:

PJYoung said:

They should be easily able to cannibalize parts from other tanks, at least for the T-72s.
Should be is not what we are seeing in practice. Russian army does not have those types of trained guys to adapt on the fly from what I have seen, thus far.
txags92
AG
deddog said:

PJYoung said:

Quite a few of them were last seen behind a Ukrainian tractor. So if there is any cannibalizing of parts going on, it is probably on the Ukrainian side.
revvie
AG
aggiehawg said:

What are snus?
Skoal/Copenhagen pouches. I guess Texas doesn't have monopoly on the Market
Sea Speed
AG
What is the Shrek stuff a couple of pages ago about?
Gilligan
AG
Sea Speed said:

What is the Shrek stuff a couple of pages ago about?
An American showed up and asked about earning medals. He was sent away from the front.

For the short period he was on / near the front they called him Shrek.
Waffledynamics
AG
That's a nickname for a boneheaded soldier that James Vasquez encountered.
Waffledynamics
AG
https://liveuamap.com/en/2022/16-april-ukrainian-military-in-joint-forces-operation-zone

"Ukrainian military in Joint Forces Operation zone repelled 10 Russian attacks today. 15 tanks, 3 pieces of artillery, 24 armoured vehicles destroyed. 4 Orlan-10 drones and 2 cruise missiles shot down."
Sea Speed
AG
Surely some mope didn't think he would actually earn metals.

Also, was there a pic of this guy?
wangus12
AG
Probably going to see a ton of aggression for Russia this week. Ukes need to hold the line this week and withstand the onslaught and Russia probably runs out of steam again.
Waffledynamics
AG
wangus12 said:

Probably going to see a ton of aggression for Russia this week. Ukes need to hold the line this week and withstand the onslaught and Russia probably runs out of steam again.
That's my thought. Russia's building up for a massive offensive. I wish Ukraine could hit the massed up areas right now to soften them up. We know where they are if Speak The Truth on Youtube is correct. Here's praying some of the valuable equipment being sent their way makes it where it needs to go.
CondensedFogAggie
Ulysses90 said:

The CBR generates a 10 digit grid to the point of origin and a presumptive weapon identification based on the velocity and trajectory. It can distinguish a 122mm rocket from a 122mm howitzer shell or a 82mm mortar based on those factors but it would probably not be able to distinguish a 122mm howitzer shell from a 152mm howitzer shell unless the 152mm trajectory as longer than the range of a 122mm.

I don't believe any of the Ukrainian artillery has a digital fire control systembut that shouldn't cause a significant time lag. Howitzers assigned a mission of counterbattery fire are usually manned with a crew that has a projectile fuzed with a VT (varaiable time) proximity fuze for an air burst 7m above the ground ready to ram into the breech. When they get the fire command from the battery Fire Direction Center the gun crew traverses and elevates the tube onto the taret, set the fuze time, rams the projo and puts the propellant charge behind it, locks the breech, and hooks up and pulls the lanyard. All of that should take less than 30 seconds from the time that deflection and quadrant are sent by the FDC even in a fully manual artillery battery.

As a historical example, back in 1983 during the Marine Corps presence in Beirut at the airport compound they were getting sporadic mortar fire from Druze militia that would set up 82mm mortars on street corners and quicky lob a half dozen mortar projectIles before picking up the mortar and displacing.

The Marines fixed that issue by setting a 105mm gun section with pre-fuzed proJos that only had to have the charges cut and they had the CBR turned on all the time. The Druze didn't have their own radar so there was no danger in having the CBR turned on around the clock.

The CBR was able to detect the 82mm mortar rounds on their ascending arc and send the location to the FDC in seconds. The gun crew on the 105mm howitzer could fire two rounds at low angle that hit the mortar position before the high-angle mortar rounds even hit the ground. The Druze stopped lobbing mortar rounds at the Marine compound because they were superstitious and believed that the Marines' guns were haunted because they could shoot back before their mortar rounds exploded.

What the ****.

Thank you for that summary by the way, Ulysses90. I had no idea counter battery artillery could be this fast, this accurate. Is it possible to actually completely automate this?

What would be your recommendations for the Ukes operating in a wide open field, where they enemy has air power, drones, and much longer artillery range? If the CBR communicates the coordinates, drones can counter attack as well right?
GAC06
AG
Mortars go high and slow. Artillery can go high or low trajectory and fast.
CondensedFogAggie
GAC06 said:

Mortars go high and slow. Artillery can go high or low trajectory and fast.
Gotcha. And of course multiple batteries can counter fire I assume. Modern warfare is nuts.
GAC06
AG
We had IDF radar at Camp Bastion. It usually sounded the alarm right after the explosions.
CondensedFogAggie

Quote:

While the United States is shipping 18 155mm towed howitzers and 40,000 artillery rounds to Ukraine this week, even that amount could be expended within several days, raising the prospect of Ukraine forces running out of ammunition, the official said.

During some of the heavy earlier fighting, Ukrainian forces fired up to thousands of artillery rounds in a given day, the official noted.

US Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Gen. Mark Milley are conducting daily phone calls with counterparts in the region to encourage them to ship more weapons and supplies to Ukraine as soon as possible.
While I'm disappointed that ammo boxes aren't quite raining down on the Ukes, it warms my heart to know they're giving the Ruskies hell.
CondensedFogAggie

Ukrainian soldiers firing artillery and shouting "Russian warship go **** yourself". This vid started popping up after the Moskva successfully intercepted two Neptune missiles.

Brewskis
AG
GAC06 said:

We had IDF radar at Camp Bastion. It usually sounded the alarm right after the explosions.

Houthis would lob TBMs over/around PSAB in Saudi on the regular during the 2020 timeframe and every time they sounded the alarm it would be about a min or so after either impact near Riyadh or Patriot F-pole on the RV/warhead. Eventually I just decided that if it was my time, it was my time and I'd just die comfortable in my rack rather than throw on Kevlar and run to the bunker.
GAC06
AG
Exactly. I survived my first rocket attack sleeping in my rack. I thought about putting on my flak and Kevlar and going to the shelter but by the time you hear the explosions it's over. We had a guy that was high strung who worried about being out in the open. I pointed out to him that a rocket could get him in his office or in the chow hall or in his rack and that if he hears a rocket explode it means he just survived a rocket attack. It seemed to unnerve him further.

Of course we had the luxury of knowing the enemy couldn't correct their barrages without getting smoked.
MeatDr
AG
Ulysses90
AG
CondensedFoggyAggie said:

Ulysses90 said:

What the ****.

Thank you for that summary by the way, Ulysses90. I had no idea counter battery artillery could be this fast, this accurate. Is it possible to actually completely automate this?

What would be your recommendations for the Ukes operating in a wide open field, where they enemy has air power, drones, and much longer artillery range? If the CBR communicates the coordinates, drones can counter attack as well right?

Counterfire can be this fast but western armies have spent the time and money to mostly automate the process. The Ukrainian army doesn't have that degree of automation but even a manual couterfire loop can be very fast with practice. It just has to happen within the never ending cycle of shoot-move-communicate.

The CBR radar feeds (what used to be called) the Target Production Cell (TPC) that generates targets for the Fire Support Coordination Center that passes missions to firing batteries. In an automated system a designated couterfire unit can get the target location sent straight to the battery FDC and the fire solution can be computed by the AFATDS and sent to the guns so it can take well under a minute. There is always a human in the loop that reviews and approves the fire mission because it might be located in a no-fire area (NFA) where friendlies or civilians are located or a church or so other infrastructure. The Russians like putting artillery next to civilian infrastructure.

The ability to have your radars on all the time is a luxury that the Ukrainians don't have because they are fighting an enemy that can sent missiles to home in on radars. They have to displace their radars frequently to keep them from being hit.

I really like the potential of passive localization sendors like the AMMS from Microflown because it can be employed far forward of the couterfire battery with the infantry. The AMMS could triangulate the location of Russian artillery up to six KM away and send that grid by voice or digitally back to the battery without radiating and giving up their own location. A low power burst radio transmission is a lot less likely to be detected than a CBR antenna that pushes a lot of power.

Finding Russian artillery as soon as they fire and quickly fixing them in ace and destroying it is really important.
74OA
AG

Quote:

While the United States is shipping 18 155mm towed howitzers and 40,000 artillery rounds to Ukraine this week, even that amount could be expended within several days, raising the prospect of Ukraine forces running out of ammunition, the official said.

During some of the heavy earlier fighting, Ukrainian forces fired up to thousands of artillery rounds in a given day, the official noted.

US Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Gen. Mark Milley are conducting daily phone calls with counterparts in the region to encourage them to ship more weapons and supplies to Ukraine as soon as possible.
While I'm disappointed that ammo boxes aren't quite raining down on the Ukes, it warms my heart to know they're giving the Ruskies hell.
Sounds like they're soon going to need replacement barrels as well.
GAC06
AG
Three batteries aren't firing 40,000 rds anytime soon. I wonder if we're supplying ammo for former Soviet systems as well
CondensedFogAggie

Fresh graves in Irpin, around 1200~1500.

Remember, this is but one of many mass grave locations around the entire country.
CondensedFogAggie
Ulysses90 said:

Ulysses90 said:

What the ****.

Counterfire can be this fast but western armies have spent the time and money to mostly automate the process. The Ukrainian army doesn't have that degree of automation but even a manual couterfire loop can be very fast with practice. It just has to happen within the never ending cycle of shoot-move-communicate.

The CBR radar feeds (what used to be called) the Target Production Cell (TPC) that generates targets for the Fire Support Coordination Center that passes missions to firing batteries. In an automated system a designated counterfire unit can get the target location sent straight to the battery FDC and the fire solution can be computed by the AFATDS and sent to the guns so it can take well under a minute. There is always a human in the loop that reviews and approves the fire mission because it might be located in a no-fire area (NFA) where friendlies or civilians are located or a church or so other infrastructure. The Russians like putting artillery next to civilian infrastructure.

The ability to have your radars on all the time is a luxury that the Ukrainians don't have because they are fighting an enemy that can sent missiles to home in on radars. They have to displace their radars frequently to keep them from being hit.

I really like the potential of passive localization sendors like the AMMS from Microflown because it can be employed far forward of the couterfire battery with the infantry. The AMMS could triangulate the location of Russian artillery up to six KM away and send that grid by voice or digitally back to the battery without radiating and giving up their own location. A low power burst radio transmission is a lot less likely to be detected than a CBR antenna that pushes a lot of power.

Finding Russian artillery as soon as they fire and quickly fixing them in ace and destroying it is really important.

Fascinating, thank you again.
AGS-R-TUFF
AG

Fresh graves in Irpin, around 1200~1500.

Remember, this is but one of many mass grave locations around the entire country.
Tragic, shocking, unnecessary and infuriating.
Waffledynamics
AG
GAC06 said:

Three batteries aren't firing 40,000 rds anytime soon. I wonder if we're supplying ammo for former Soviet systems as well
What makes you so sure? Heck, even in World War One, thousands and thousands of shells were used per day.

GAC06
AG
18 guns at a max rate of fire for a proficient crew of four rounds per minute aren't going to fire 40,000 rds anytime soon, especially with opposition

All of those guns, firing at the sustained rate of fire, 24/7, with no losses or logistical issues would last 36 days.
First Page Last Page
Page 500 of 1368

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.