***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,594,439 Views | 47835 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by Rossticus
Rossticus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
aggiehawg
AG
This is from a Russian news aggregator. Thoughts?

https://t.me/s/intelslava/24930
Rossticus
aggiehawg said:

This is from a Russian news aggregator. Thoughts?

https://t.me/s/intelslava/24930

Thermobaric, imo
74OA
AG
Rossticus said:

.......and, besides, the Soviet Union doesn't exist, either.
Rossticus
Full thread: https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1515242598071472128.html

Rossticus
Ulysses90
AG
sharpdressedman said:

AGS-R-TUFF said:

Changing the subject back to a tactical one…

I have been reading about the "Counter-Battery Radar Systems" that we are supposed to be supplying in this recent weapons package.

They look very interesting in that they can isolate the origin of incoming artillery fire and communicate that to several response systems to return fire.

For those familiar with these systems…

Are they potential game changers for this Eastern front offensive? Can they stay out of ground attack range and execute their surveillance from distance?

Yes to all questions, according to Gen. Keane (sp?) on Fox News. Return fire is rapid and accurate.

The Counter Battery Radar (CBR) is connected with friendly artillery units hough a "sensor to shooter" link to put counterfire on the enemy's guns before the incoming rounds even hit the deck. The drawback is that they are active emitters and if the Ukrainians have them actively "cueing" the Russians know where they are and can take them out.

For the close fight there are some really amazing passive counterfre localization sensors from a company called Microflown based in the Netherlands. It's based on a really slick acoustic vector sensors that are battery powered, solid state, and can be mounted on vehicles, HESCO walls or wherever you want to put them. I saw it demonstrated in 2015 in Europe and it is an impressive detection capability for forces that are relatively close to the enemy. If it is connected in a "sensor to shooter" link with friendly counter battery artillery it can silence the enemy guns very quickly.

The Microflown AMMS (acoustic multi-mission sensor) uses triangulation from two or more sensors separated a short distance apart to locate the point of origin for small arms, mortars, or artillery. It can locate the origin of small arms fire up to 1km distrance and mortars or artillery up to 6km away. Since it's a passive sensor the enemy doesn't know their location has been identified.

https://www.microflown-avisa.com/

This system was tested by the US Army Research Lab in 2015 at Yuma Proving Grounds and you can read the unclassified test report by searching the title: ARL-TR-7431. After reading the test results I could not determine why this was not procured and fielded by US DoD for detecting low/small/slow drones as well as mortars and artillery. I don't believe we have anything like it. The only explanation I could come up with was that it was "not invented here" and it would disrupt someone's existing R&D program to develop a low/small/slow UAS sensor.

If you are familiar with the Boomerang system that was fielded about 15 years ago, it's not at all like that technology because it doesn't use microphones or tie difference to calculate the vector. This is a much better system than Boomerang and it's a lot simpler and more accurate.
Rossticus
Interesting strategy. Let's see how it works out for them…

Ulysses90
AG
Quote:

The biggest question is are what types of rounds are we giving them dumb or smart. The biggest difference IMO being range, some of our Excalibur rounds can go 70 KM (variants 23/40/70 KM) even at 23 KM should create a small buffer under russian indirect fire but given the roads situation and not leaving easily identifiable tracks all over the fields more range would be better. The radars are good for 18-20KM and the Ukrainians have had some since 2014. Ideally you would not co locate with the guns and they would be forward of them given the difference in range or continue to use FOs persons/drones for targeting.

The range depends on the propellant, breech, and gun tube length so the 39 caliber length tubes the Ukrainians would be getting will be shooting closer to 20km range than 40km.

The CBR is usually sensitive to greater ranges than the artillery it supports so it is positioned farther back than the gun line. In Desert Storm the Iraqis ad longer range on their guns than the US M109 and M198 so they would move forward under darkness and fire counter battery missions and then immediately displace before any Iraqiguns could reply. M110 8 ich guns from 5th Bn 10th Marines were actually used as bait to draw fire from well camouflaged Iraqi units that had remained silent and survived the initial air campaign attacks. The moved up to the Kuwaiti border and fired a ToT at midnight and immediately displaced. The Iraqis took the bait and got hammered MLRS.
PJYoung
AG
Rossticus
Great. Now start pumping small arms, UAVs, tanks, artillery, ammo to Ukraine in greater quantities before Putin has an opportunity to mobilize a greater number of troops.
JFABNRGR
AG
Appreciate the qualified input. Now I know who to defer to on artillery.

On the CBR, targeting automated with our guns or manual?
Manual with the soviet guns?
How do you think they would set up the CBRs with our guns and or their soviet style or do you now see the CBRs as being more effective in directing drone strikes if the range is limited on the guns?
On the 40,000 rounds what types do you think they are getting?
How long to displace and or feedback on my comment about leaving snail trails all over the fields and almost have to using the roads to avoid being found by aerial reconnaissance?
Rossticus
Russia demanding things makes me laugh.
Rossticus
Rossticus

Rossticus
Rossticus
B-1 83
AG
Rossticus said:

What is the significance here? Are they forced to go "bottom of the barrel" for equipment?
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
Rossticus
Either that or they're just making a propaganda vid with that hunk of junk. Either way, I'm not sure what they think they're accomplishing here. They should be embarrassed.
Rossticus
74OA
AG
JFABNRGR said:

Appreciate the qualified input. Now I know who to defer to on artillery.

On the CBR, targeting automated with our guns or manual?
Manual with the soviet guns?
How do you think they would set up the CBRs with our guns and or their soviet style or do you now see the CBRs as being more effective in directing drone strikes if the range is limited on the guns?
On the 40,000 rounds what types do you think they are getting?
How long to displace and or feedback on my comment about leaving snail trails all over the fields and almost have to using the roads to avoid being found by aerial reconnaissance?
EDIT: Never mind. Just saw previous extensive replies on this.
Rossticus
Current disagreement as to whether 100% legit, old, stand ins used for some crew, or edited/doctored but it's what has been released by Russia.

74OA
AG
Today's SITREP.
Rossticus

Rossticus
B-1 83
AG
Rossticus said:

Range? They've got to get some good "stand off" weapons to start pounding those Russian columns.
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
aggiehawg
AG
Rossticus
Full Thread: https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1515444350435606528.html

Blackbeard94
AG
Rossticus said:

Return the note with a simple line at the bottom...."Go **** Yourself"
aggiehawg
AG
Blackbeard94 said:

Rossticus said:

Return the note with a simple line at the bottom...."Go **** Yourself"
"Lend-Lease, MOFOs. You never paid us back from WWII. So we are repossessing your equipment, one piece at a time. Pray we don't alter the agreement further."
GAC06
AG
B-1 83 said:

Rossticus said:

Range? They've got to get some good "stand off" weapons to start pounding those Russian columns.

20km is what wiki says. It's a newer variant of the Grad rockets Ukraine (and Russia) already uses
Rossticus

aggiehawg
AG
What are snus?
Rossticus
aggiehawg said:

What are snus?

A type of snuff.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snus
GAC06
AG
Tobacco snuff pouches.

Dip is always at the top of the request list for care packages to troops
First Page Last Page
Page 499 of 1368

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.