***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,594,408 Views | 47835 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by Rossticus
Build It
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My guess is us or someone else is giving them or already has given them the weapons to shoot down those jets.

It's coming soon. We'll hear about a bomber being shot down in the coming days.

As far as enlisting. Well, I'm retired so better me than those of you that can keep the world working. Let's hope it doesn't come to that. But I'd rather enlist than have my two sons have to go.

I'm and old guy who entered public school in 1970. We had duck and cover drills every week. I've lived under a constant threat of nuclear war my whole life. Russians my age were taught the same way, fearing we would send nukes to them. We have a lifelong mutual fear. We'll see who backs down first. This time is much different. I think the world is soon to be a much different place if we don't all die in nuclear holocaust.

My kids think I'm crazy when I tell them about the fear we had before the fall of the Soviet Union. Here we are again.
rwv2055
AG
Rossticus said:

Does this mean they are not as bad as the Russians in WwII? Because they are worse than the Nazis.
74OA
AG
Russians resorting to carpet-bombing.

The gloves are now completely off, formal war declaration or no.

MARIUPOL
richardag
74OA said:

Russians now resorting to carpet-bombing.

MARIUPOL
Would be glorious if these bombers hit numerous Russian troops.
Among the latter, under pretence of governing they have divided their nations into two classes, wolves and sheep.”
Thomas Jefferson, Letter to Edward Carrington, January 16, 1787
MouthBQ98
AG
I believe some s300 from Eastern Europe are on the way. That will stop a lot of the air attacks wherever they site it.

So would a Mig air patrol, however.
lead
AGS-R-TUFF
AG
Changing the subject back to a tactical one…

I have been reading about the "Counter-Battery Radar Systems" that we are supposed to be supplying in this recent weapons package.

They look very interesting in that they can isolate the origin of incoming artillery fire and communicate that to several response systems to return fire.

For those familiar with these systems…

Are they potential game changers for this Eastern front offensive? Can they stay out of ground attack range and execute their surveillance from distance?

Rossticus
Full thread:

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1515258824441090050.html

Mule
AG
Build It said:

My guess is us or someone else is giving them or already has given them the weapons to shoot down those jets.

As far as enlisting. Well, I'm retired so better me than those of you that can keep the world working. Let's hope it doesn't come to that. But I'd rather enlist than have my two sons have to go.

I'm and old guy who entered public school in 1970. We had duck and cover drills every week. I've lived under a constant threat of nuclear war my whole life. Russians my age were taught the same way, fearing we would send nukes to them. We have a lifelong mutual fear. We'll see who backs down first. This time is much different. I think the world is soon to be a much different place if we don't all die in nuclear holocaust.

My kids think I'm crazy when I tell them about the fear we had before the fall of the Soviet Union. Here we are again.

There is wisdom in your words. We must strategically seek another way.
Texas Aggies
UTExan
Build It said:

Every war game in Cold War Europe that played out to the end went nuclear back in the day: we used nukes because the Russians overran us by sheer force of numbers. This Ukraine War is showing something different: our tech advantages being deployed by the Ukrainians are chewing up Russian ground, air and naval forces and forcing the Russians into contemplating either withdrawal or the use of WMDs. I believe at some point you could see use of a tactical nuke if they can locate a sufficiently valuable Ukrainian military asset. Putin won't be humiliated and his military has proved incompetent. This may be his only option.
“If you’re going to have crime it should at least be organized crime”
-Havelock Vetinari
Dorm 15
AG
Quote:

So would a Mig air patrol, however.
Saw/read/heard somewhere, and I don't have a link, that one of the issues with the Polish airplane transfer was that a lot of NATO avionics had been installed.
CondensedFogAggie

More senior leadership removed permanently is fine with me
Rossticus
"A column of 58 Russian military equipment has just passed through the town of Svatove from Starobilsk towards the excavated mountain (probably towards Severodonetsk): 13 of them are ACS, 12 Grad, the rest are KAMAZ, Urals, BMP, BMD, one fuel truck.

2 columns of enemy equipment. Approximately 15-40 from the Direction Starobilsk to the fork Lysychansk-Kupyansk drove about 30 ACS and 30 Grad + tilt KAMAZ."

Rossticus
Rossticus

aggiehawg
AG
"Detained" how? Is there a building left standing at this point?
Rossticus
aggiehawg said:

"Detained" how? Is there a building left standing at this point?

Impossible to know the setup without being on the ground but you don't need fully intact buildings to set detainment areas.
CondensedFogAggie

Translated partial transcript of Russians being notified of a soldier's death via facial recognition technology and social media scanning, of bodies the Russians just abandoned

Quote:

-Tatiana, hello, do you know Maxim Safonov?

-Who are you?

-What does it matter? I'm looking for Maksim's relatives, he died in Ukraine and I'm looking for his relatives to tell them about it. I'll give you proof

-What proof do you have?

-Do you want me to send you a photo?

-Yes

-(sends a photo of the corpse and his documents)

-It's not him

-Are you sure? These I.D.s were found next to the body

-Sending this information, what do you expect me to do?

-Tatiana, please answer me, do you know this man? (throws again the photo of the documents)

-This is my son. Why are you doing this? Do you want me to die? I don't live anymore... Are you enjoying this?

-We're doing this to inform people and to stop this madness. Thousands of young men are dying here.

Grim work, but death notification has to be given asap. Especially since the Russians will do nothing.
Dorm 15
AG
Quote:

Every war game in Cold War Europe that played out to the end went nuclear back in the day: we used nukes because the Russians overran us by sheer force of numbers.
Went to V Corp after we stood down in Viet Nam and indeed you are correct. Those were the days of retrograde operations. I will add however even then we were not completely in awe on the quality of the Soviet Army. East Germany was the exception.
sharpdressedman
74OA said:

Russians resorting to carpet-bombing.

MARIUPOL
Putin is acutely aware of his war clock ticking down as more, heavier, and increasingly sophisticated weapons arrive in Ukraine. Hence, his threat to America and NATO partners to stop their support.

He knows he must win quickly or lose, and he will use all methods and means available to overwhelm Ukraine. JMO, but I'm pretty sure of it.
sharpdressedman
Jayhawk said:

The Chechen Islamic terror squads have been sent into Ukraine to terrorize and brutalize the Christian inhabitants of the country, to break their morale and get them to submit. If the Ukrainians borrowed a page from the famous Romanian leader who also had to deal with invading barbarous islamic hordes, it would be a just response. E.g. Vlad Dracul crucified the Turks who came to terrorize his people.
Vlad the Impaler...turned away an entire army with only the visuals of impaled enemies lining the roadside for miles.
TacosaurusRex
CondensedFoggyAggie said:

More senior leadership removed permanently is fine with me

My only worry is that if the Ukes keep killing all the senior leadership of Russia, eventually someone competent will accidentally take their place.
sharpdressedman
AGS-R-TUFF said:

I have been reading about the "Counter-Battery Radar Systems" that we are supposed to be supplying in this recent weapons package.

They look very interesting in that they can isolate the origin of incoming artillery fire and communicate that to several response systems to return fire.

Are they potential game changers for this Eastern front offensive? Can they stay out of ground attack range and execute their surveillance from distance?

Yes to all questions, according to Gen. Keane (sp?) on Fox News. Return fire is rapid and accurate.
74OA
AG
sharpdressedman said:

AGS-R-TUFF said:

Yes to all questions, according to Gen. Keane (sp?) on Fox News. Return fire is rapid and accurate.
.......and these Firefinder counter-battery radars (Google!) are not new to the Ukrainians. We gifted them several in 2015 and the Netherlands gave them more just recently.
JFABNRGR
AG
AGS-R-TUFF said:

I am not familiar with the counter battery radar & targeting aspect of it, but its my understanding that they are getting 10 radars and 18 EA 155MM guns along with 40,000 rounds. I am not sure if the radars have to be wired to the system or are wireless. I suspect wireless given the ration of radars to guns and they could be used also with their own soviet era indirect fire, but manually adjusting.

The biggest question is are what types of rounds are we giving them dumb or smart. The biggest difference IMO being range, some of our Excalibur rounds can go 70 KM (variants 23/40/70 KM) even at 23 KM should create a small buffer under russian indirect fire but given the roads situation and not leaving easily identifiable tracks all over the fields more range would be better. The radars are good for 18-20KM and the Ukrainians have had some since 2014. Ideally you would not co locate with the guns and they would be forward of them given the difference in range or continue to use FOs persons/drones for targeting.

If they can keep them from getting destroyed by russian air or missiles AND with longer range munitions yes it should be a game changer force multiplier but again has to be combined arms with all else including the small unit tactics.
AGS-R-TUFF
AG
Thanks for the breakdown.
aggiehawg
AG
Anybody seen this? Confirmation?

AGS-R-TUFF
AG
aggiehawg said:

Would suck if true…possibly more drones from Turkey.
Rossticus
Rossticus

sharpdressedman
aggiehawg said:

If true, Putin is making good on his threat, climbing another step on the ladder to war with NATO.
GAC06
AG
aggiehawg said:

If there was a plane flying to Odessa it wouldn't show up on flight trackers. Twitter people seem to forget that they don't have the whole picture just because they have access to a lot of info
FamousAgg
I would expect that any aircraft over Ukraine has a significant risk of being shot down.

Would we expect Russia to hold fire for a NATO aircraft? I wouldn't expect that

I see these foot soldiers with manpads, with the fog of war, do they really know what they are shooting at?
Rossticus
74OA
AG
BattleGrackle said:

I would expect that any aircraft over Ukraine has a significant risk of being shot down.

Would we expect Russia to hold fire for a NATO aircraft? I wouldn't expect that

I see these foot soldiers with manpads, with the fog of war, do they really know what they are shooting at?
Ukraine-Russia is a combat zone. Anything supporting the military of either side is fair game inside the combat zone. This is why NATO brings materiel to the border and Ukraine carries it in from there.
First Page Last Page
Page 498 of 1368

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.