*****VERDICT WATCH CHAUVIN TRIAL*****

213,485 Views | 1867 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by will25u
aggiehawg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Keegan99 said:

Told y'all this was lost at voir dire.

All the experts. All the testimony. None of it mattered.
Most of that comes back to Cahill. As long as they said the magic words, "I can be fair and impartial," he would not entertain challenges for cause.

Counting down, #52 was the sixth juror seated. Nelson should have used peremptory on him if Cahill refused to strike for cause. But note there were 7 jurors selected before the city announced the 27 million settlement. So Cahill had to talk to him on voir dire about his knowledge of the settlement. The only reason I say that is because Cahill conducted those alone and did not allow the attorneys to make any inquiries.
aggiehawg
AG
More from Juror #52.

Quote:

Mitchell added that Martin Tobin, a pulmonary expert and witness called by the prosecution to testify about the last moments of Floyd's life, was the most convincing part of the defense's argument.

"Once Dr. Tobin was finished with his testimony, I felt like the trial was done. He spoke everything in laymen's terms, and it made sense," he said
The Hill

Tobin was the one who claimed he could determine the volume of Floyd's lungs from watching a video, among other outrageous and medically impossible testimony.
aginlakeway
AG
aggiehawg said:

More from Juror #52.

Quote:

Mitchell added that Martin Tobin, a pulmonary expert and witness called by the prosecution to testify about the last moments of Floyd's life, was the most convincing part of the defense's argument.

"Once Dr. Tobin was finished with his testimony, I felt like the trial was done. He spoke everything in laymen's terms, and it made sense," he said
The Hill

Tobin was the one who claimed he could determine the volume of Floyd's lungs from watching a video, among other outrageous and medically impossible testimony.

So BEFORE he ever heard from the defense, he thought the "trial was done."

Wow.
Sully Dog
Yep. Tobin was a lying piece of ***** He also said he could tell from a video the exact second Floyd died. Which is also bull***** Death is a process and rarely an on and off switch.
Deplorable Neanderthal Clinger
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
sounds like we need basic iq tests for jurors.

nothing like putting your life in the hands of strangers that couldn't pass an open book 7th grade science quiz.
aggiehawg
AG
ruddyduck said:

nothing like putting your life in the hands of strangers that couldn't pass an open book 7th grade science quiz.

Still can't believe the critical care nurse fell for all of that crap.
Sully Dog
aggiehawg said:

ruddyduck said:

You give too much credit to nurses. She was an SJW and nothing trumps that
Sully Dog
My one take away from all of this was how awful our legal system can be.
AustinCountyAg
ruddyduck said:

same with voting in elections
UTExan
aggiehawg said:

ruddyduck said:

Next time somebody brings a gun to their ICU, maybe she should call a social worker.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
SW-14
AG
Juror #9 "voted in hope of getting a jury summons for the Chauvin case"? Did this lady really say that? How is that not disqualifying?
PlaneCrashGuy
AG
As much as I personally believe he was guilty (and could not have been objective) its concerning to think there were jurors that didn't make the state prove it....
“Not gonna lie...its a little disconcerting to have our minister of positivity be PlaneCrashGuy but Im in"
aginlakeway
AG
LDA9336 said:

As much as I personally believe he was guilty (and could not have been objective) its concerning to think there were jurors that didn't make the state prove it....

Yep. Not a fair trial.
aggiehawg
AG
SW-14 said:

Juror #9 "voted in hope of getting a jury summons for the Chauvin case"? Did this lady really say that? How is that not disqualifying?
Juror #9 was very troubling in many respects. Cahill should have dismissed her for cause. Nelson requested a sidebar asking for that but Cahill refused. Nelson had already had a Batson challenge against him claiming he was using his peremptory strikes in a discriminatory way, striking people of color. She was bi-racial so that is why I think he didn't use a peremptory on her.

I said at the time that was a mistake.
Stupid@17
AG
Pretty clear from the jurors talking this was a kangaroo court. I hope Nelson uses the term on appeal too.
aggiehawg
AG
Sully Dog said:

My one take away from all of this was how awful our legal system can be.
Certainly not the judicial system I was taught in law school 40 years ago.
richardag
aggiehawg said:

ruddyduck said:

I sincerely doubt she did. Fear of retribution is alive and well, just ask Maxine.
NASAg03
Keegan99 said:

Told y'all this was lost at voir dire.

All the experts. All the testimony. None of it mattered.
More gems from juror #52 Brandon Mitchell:
Quote:

"Coming in each and every day and having to watch somebody die is stressful enough by itself. So anything outside of that was a secondary it's because, as a human, it's natural to feel some kind of way. As you're watching somebody in agony."

Mitchell even questioned how he, as a Black man was going to make it through the full trial.

"It definitely had its impact on me I mean there was a few days where I was like 'I don't know how I'm going to make it in this next day' especially as a Black man and a larger Black man," he said.

Keep talking you dumbass SJW jurors. You're going to get Derek Chauvin a new trial. Seems evident this dude did everything he could to get on this jury and convict Chauvin, regardless of the facts. It was all feels.
Good Poster
AG
NOTHING surprises me about this trial. Trump was a bright spot in an otherwise dark, dark time of government overreach and incompetence.

I need to vastly change how I view the general public. Most people are very, very stupid.
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

The joint manslaughter trial against former Minneapolis police officers J. Alexander Kueng, Thomas Kiernan Lane, and Tou Thao in the death of George Floyd will be televised and livestreamed, Judge Peter Cahill ruled Wednesday.

Local and national media companies have already begun giving their required notice of intent to broadcast the trial live.

A court spokesperson told Minnesota Public Radio that the original order that allowed for T.V. cameras in Derek Chauvin's trial will also apply for the upcoming trial.
Quote:

The trial is scheduled for Aug. 23 at the Hennepin County Government Center.

Kueng, Lane, and Thao all assisted Chauvin in detaining George Floyd on the day he died. Each face one count of aiding and abetting second degree unintentional murder and one count of aiding and abetting second degree manslaughter.
Quote:

The four former officers all of whom were fired the day after Floyd's Memorial Day 2020 death were initially set to stand trial together. However, Judge Peter Cahill ordered that in January that Chauvin receive his own trial, citing concerns over the coronavirus.

If concivted, each officer faces a maximum of 40 years in prison, the same sentence Chauvin now faces after he was convicted on April 20 of second and third-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter.

Chauvin will be sentenced on June 25.
Quote:

Minnesota Assistant Attorney General Matthew Frank will represent the state as the lead prosecutor against the three former officers. However, prosecutors Jerry Blackwell and Steve Schleicher who did the majority of the examininer for the state in Chauvin's case are expected to be back for this trial, reports the Star Tribune.

Thao will be represented by defense attorney Robert Paule. Attorney Earl Gray will represent Lane, and Thomas Plunkett will represent Kueng.

Judge Peter Cahill who oversaw Chauvin's trial will preside in this trial as well.
Oh joy! Not.

Link
gtaggie_08
AG
Hawg, Andrew Branca was Tim Pool's guest on his podcast last night. There is a 15 minute clip on YouTube from it talking about the media's role in only covering favorably for the State. I found the last few minutes of the clip were really important as Branca was outlining what justice really meant. I couldn't help but think that he was speaking things that you have posted in this thread the last few weeks.

I would post it if I knew how to. It was really good and Pool asked him if the jury got it right and he basically said legally, no, but backed it up with facts
chickencoupe16
AG
I watched every bit of the Chauvin trial minus jury selection. I won't watch this once, I already know the ending... Forget all of the reasons finding impartial jurors wasn't possible for Chauvin (at least in Minneapolis), the Chauvin verdict alone makes it impossible.
Sully Dog
aggiehawg said:

Quote:

Kueng, Lane, and Thao all assisted Chauvin in detaining George Floyd on the day he died. Each face one count of aiding and abetting second degree unintentional murder and one count of aiding and abetting second degree manslaughter.
Quote:

The four former officers all of whom were fired the day after Floyd's Memorial Day 2020 death were initially set to stand trial together. However, Judge Peter Cahill ordered that in January that Chauvin receive his own trial, citing concerns over the coronavirus.

If concivted, each officer faces a maximum of 40 years in prison, the same sentence Chauvin now faces after he was convicted on April 20 of second and third-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter.

The bolded is how you know the state is full of ***** The state argued that Floyd died of positional asphyxia. This was the premise of their entire closing argument. They all but completely dropped the knee argument.

If Floyd died of positional asphyxia and it was Chauvin, Lane and Kueng that put him in that position then why aren't all of them being tried on murder charges instead of aiding and abetting?

The state isn't even consistent in it's own argument.

Sully Dog
How could Thao even know what was happening to Floyd when his back was to him almost the entire time?
aggiehawg
AG
Sully Dog said:

aggiehawg said:

Quote:

Quote:

The bolded is how you know the state is full of ***** The state argued that Floyd died of positional asphyxia. This was the premise of their entire closing argument. They all but completely dropped the knee argument.

If Floyd died of positional asphyxia and it was Chauvin, Lane and Kueng that put him in that position then why aren't all of them being tried on murder charges instead of aiding and abetting?

The state isn't even consistent in it's own argument.

One other thing. These officers have not been on the job very long. They do not have the same exposure on taking the stand in their own defense. Particularly, Lane the rookie. He has the most exculpatory evidence in his favor. And Tao was doing crowd control and never even touched Floyd that I saw.

Yet the state has to argue that Tao knew there was an aggravated assault happening by his fellow officers and did not not stop it.
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

Leading up to Derek Chauvin's murder trial, Justice Department officials had spent months gathering evidence to indict the ex-Minneapolis police officer on federal police brutality charges, but they feared the publicity frenzy could disrupt the state's case.

So they came up with a contingency plan: If Chauvin were found not guilty on all counts or the case ended in a mistrial, they would arrest him at the courthouse, according to sources familiar with the planning discussions.

The scenario presumably entailed the Minnesota U.S. Attorney General's Office charging "Chauvin by criminal complaint a quicker alternative for a federal charge that doesn't require a grand jury," the report says.

The scheme was not needed. Chauvin was guilty on all three counts. But federal prosecutors purportedly still plan to indict Chauvin with civil rights violations.

The news comes after Minnesota Attorney General Keith Ellison said Sunday there is no evidence George Floyd was a victim of a "hate crime" or racial bias from Chauvin.
"I wouldn't call it that because hate crimes are crimes where there's an explicit motive and of bias," Ellison stated. "We don't have any evidence that Derek Chauvin factored in George Floyd's race as he did what he did."

"I will admit, I felt a little bad for the defendant. I think he deserved to be convicted. But he's a human being," Ellison continued.

"I'm not in any way wavering from my responsibility," Ellison stated. "But I hope we never forget that people who are defendants in our criminal justice system, that they're human beings. They're people."
The other three officers at the scene of George Floyd's arrest, J. Alexander Kueng, Thomas Lane, and Tou Thao, will reportedly also be indicted by a grand jury to be tried in federal court for civil rights violations.
Link
Sully Dog
aggiehawg said:

Quote:

Leading up to Derek Chauvin's murder trial, Justice Department officials had spent months gathering evidence to indict the ex-Minneapolis police officer on federal police brutality charges, but they feared the publicity frenzy could disrupt the state's case.

So they came up with a contingency plan: If Chauvin were found not guilty on all counts or the case ended in a mistrial, they would arrest him at the courthouse, according to sources familiar with the planning discussions.

The scenario presumably entailed the Minnesota U.S. Attorney General's Office charging "Chauvin by criminal complaint a quicker alternative for a federal charge that doesn't require a grand jury," the report says.

The scheme was not needed. Chauvin was guilty on all three counts. But federal prosecutors purportedly still plan to indict Chauvin with civil rights violations.

The news comes after Minnesota Attorney General Keith Ellison said Sunday there is no evidence George Floyd was a victim of a "hate crime" or racial bias from Chauvin.
"I wouldn't call it that because hate crimes are crimes where there's an explicit motive and of bias," Ellison stated. "We don't have any evidence that Derek Chauvin factored in George Floyd's race as he did what he did."

"I will admit, I felt a little bad for the defendant. I think he deserved to be convicted. But he's a human being," Ellison continued.

"I'm not in any way wavering from my responsibility," Ellison stated. "But I hope we never forget that people who are defendants in our criminal justice system, that they're human beings. They're people."
The other three officers at the scene of George Floyd's arrest, J. Alexander Kueng, Thomas Lane, and Tou Thao, will reportedly also be indicted by a grand jury to be tried in federal court for civil rights violations.
Link
Wow
Slicer97
AG
So, Floyd was granted sainthood and Chauvin was going to be a sacrificial lamb no matter what.
chickencoupe16
AG
The entire government is just throwing **** at the wall to see what sticks. The witnesses, cause of death, the motive, the charges, etc. all seem to be on a hope and a prayer. I still doubt that I would hangout with Chauvin, but I can empathize with a guy that's getting bent over from every angle.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
LDA9336 said:

Ah, but at least he is in a cage from impartial jury verdicts.

Isn't that how you do it?
aggiehawg
AG
chickencoupe16 said:

The entire government is just throwing shot at the wall to see what sticks. The witnesses, cause of death, the motive, the charges, etc. all seem to be on a hope and a prayer. I still doubt that I would hangout with Chauvin, but I can empathize with a guy that's getting bent over from every angle.
The dog pile here is the scary part. Mob rule causing jury intimidation is one thing. When the mob is the federal government determined to effectively lynch this guy and due process be damned, is quite another.
Maroon Dawn
AG
Dems are in power

Riots are now counterproductive for them

There is no scenario where they were going to allow him to walk away free no matter how little actual evidence of wrongdoing because "guilty" was the only politically expedient option for the DNC

As Hawg said, this should terrify us all

But of course no mean tweets so it's all fine
OldArmyBrent
AG
Either you have probable cause or you don't. Why make this statement other than to make sure everyone knows DOJ will use their power to placate the mob de jour?
aggiehawg
AG
OldArmyBrent said:

Either you have probable cause or you don't. Why make this statement other than to make sure everyone knows DOJ will use their power to placate the mob de jour?
Last year, US Attorney for Minnesota was standing right next to the Hennepin County DA during pressers in the days following Floyd's death. They could have taken the case away from the state and prosecute under federal law if they thought they had a case. They have had nearly a year to put this before a grand jury, get an indictment, seal it and wait for the state trial to play out. They didn't do that.

But now when he's already facing 40 years, they do? And going after the other officers, too?

It just stinks.
Pumpkinhead
AG
9 1/2 minutes repeated over and over, ME ruled it a homicide, plenty of video clips, Minny cops testifying use of force went too far, the prosecution's closing statements were pretty compelling.

IMO, The OJ verdict was 1000x more out of line than this one. You could easily justify at least manslaughter and it isn't hard to understand why the jurors went guilty on all counts.

National polls showed about 70% agreed with the verdict. The jurors did not deviate from what the majority of the country felt.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.