Another Sully Protest?

46,607 Views | 423 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by erudite
Pease
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Pease said:

DTP02 said:

CanyonAg77 said:

Quote:

Fort Bend County was 80% Majority Black in 1870.
It was 2/3 black, 1/3 white.

Your numbers are as flawed as your analysis.

To be fair to his numbers, his analysis is way worse.
It's not an analysis, it's just a statement of facts, ma'am
Fort Bend county 1870 Census
77% black
23% white
https://www2.census.gov/library/publications/decennial/1870/population/1870a-10.pdf

and Ross is still a Jim Crow racist
PabloSerna
AG
Pease said:

Pease said:

DTP02 said:

CanyonAg77 said:

Quote:

Fort Bend County was 80% Majority Black in 1870.
It was 2/3 black, 1/3 white.

Your numbers are as flawed as your analysis.

To be fair to his numbers, his analysis is way worse.
It's not an analysis, it's just a statement of facts, ma'am
Fort Bend county 1870 Census
77% black
23% white
https://www2.census.gov/library/publications/decennial/1870/population/1870a-10.pdf

Selective history is quite popular on this board. Keep speaking the truth though - like light shining in the darkness.

The more we learn about Ross - the more it is obvious, to me, that we need to relocate this statue. A statue that honors his contributions to the State of Texas while serving as the President of AMC of Texas. We need to add context to his story and create a place for other Texans who contributed to the growth of Texas and TAMU.

I plan to attend. Bringing family and friends!

+pablo

EDIT to correct some wording for clarity.
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

A statue that honors his contributions to the State of Texas while serving as the President of AMC of Texas.
You mean like the current statue does?
PabloSerna
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Quote:

A statue that honors his contributions to the State of Texas while serving as the President of AMC of Texas.
Yes I do believe he SHOULD be honored. I am of the opinion that it should NOT be at the center of campus life.

+pablo

CanyonAg77
AG
PabloSerna said:

CanyonAg77 said:

Quote:

Yes I do believe he SHOULD be honored. I am of the opinion that it should not be at the center of campus life.

+pablo
Why not the center. No one did more for A&M
Serotonin
AG
Quote:

How you know you are dealing with someone who cannot be reasoned with.

In the puritanical worldview everyone is either 100% good (which is their side) or 100% evil (the other side).
PabloSerna
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

PabloSerna said:

CanyonAg77 said:

Quote:

Yes I do believe he SHOULD be honored. I am of the opinion that it should not be at the center of campus life.

+pablo

A good question and I have a solid reason - In short what is termed a "cult of personality."

From Merriam Webster:

"Cult of personality definition is - a situation in which a public figure (such as a political leader) is deliberately presented to the people of a country as a great person who should be admired and loved."

For me, this really should be about US - Aggies. Past, current, and future.

HTH

+pablo
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

There would have been no Aggies past about 1892, if there were no Sul Ross.

But you know this, you're just looking to be offended.
TxSquarebody
PabloSerna said:

CanyonAg77 said:

PabloSerna said:

CanyonAg77 said:

Quote:

+pablo

A good question and I have a solid reason - In short what is termed a "cult of personality."

From Merriam Webster:

"Cult of personality definition is - a situation in which a public figure (such as a political leader) is deliberately presented to the people of a country as a great person who should be admired and loved."

HTH

+pablo

You just described the Obama presidency.
HeadGames
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Quote:

But I want to judge people from yesteryear today!
TChaney
On a short break today.
Smells like **** in here this morning with a hint of Alvard cult.
PabloSerna
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Quote:

Textbook example - it is impossible to know. However, you are willing to defend a hunk of metal and stone to the end - is that a correct understanding?

I gave you my answer for relocating - is your reason because no one did more for TAMU than he? Yet here we are a public institution using public money. Your money and mine correct? Do I have any say in how my taxes are spent?

You don't know me - best to keep it between the lines. For the record, I'm not easily offended.

+Pablo
CanyonAg77
AG
Sully is not the center of a cult of personality.

He is an exemplar.
Quote:

An exemplar is a person, a place, an object, or some other entity that serves as a predominant example of a given concept
Soldier, Statesman, Knightly Gentleman.

Sort of like

First in War. First in Peace. First in the hearts of his countrymen.

Or

IN THIS TEMPLE
AS IN THE HEARTS OF THE PEOPLE
FOR WHOM HE SAVED THE UNION
THE MEMORY OF ABRAHAM LINCOLN
IS ENSHRINED FOREVER
End Of Message
AG
Just the same: you are willing to protest to relocate same.
Resistance to tyranny is obedience to God.
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

Textbook example - it is impossible to know.
https://archive.is/20071016123823/http://theeagle.com/aandmnews/anniversary/1rossbio.htm

Quote:

After his term as governor ended in 1890, Ross turned down a chance to become a senator in Washington in order to accept the job of president at the state's struggling 14-year-old land-grant institution.

He arrived in College Station to find that "everything looked cheerless." The campus had no running water, a housing shortage, a disgruntled faculty, and a wild, unruly student body. It had acquired the reputation as a "reform school" for its incorrigible boys.

An editorial in the Galveston Daily News, the state's oldest and largest newspaper at the time of Ross' presidency, went so far as to suggest that the school's agricultural and mechanical departments be transferred to Austin and the remaining infrastructure be used as a "Central Texas lunatic asylum." The feeling was that there was no need for two colleges in the state of Texas.

But Ross' reputation as both a soldier and governor soon earned him the respect of those on campus and persuaded those who felt best to close the school to reconsider.

Parents began sending their sons to Sul Ross the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas just happened to be where Ross could be found. Ross encouraged students to have pride in their school.
During his tenure, the Aggie ring was created, the Aggie Band formed, the Olio A&M's first yearbook was printed and the first intercollegiate football game was played against the University of Texas at Austin.

It was also during his term that the Corps of Cadets made its first trips, traveling to San Antonio, Houston and the San Jacinto Battlefield.

Ross was so well-respected that one of the Corps' elite groups, the Scott Volunteers, changed its name to the Ross Volunteers. More than 110 years later, the name remains the same and the group's outstanding reputation is known throughout the nation.

By the time of Ross' death on Jan. 3, 1898, he had transformed the college. A Houston Press article written more than 50 years after Ross' death stated that A&M's once insubordinate students and the school's reputation for the first time resembled Ross the man and the words of his own epitaph: "Soldier, Statesman, Knightly Gentleman."
TxAg82
AG
PabloSerna said:

CanyonAg77 said:

Quote:

Yes I do believe he SHOULD be honored. I am of the opinion that it should NOT be at the center of campus life.

+pablo

What a weird stipulation. "I believe he should be honored, just not the place he has been honored for a century." Ok.

Also, he isn't really in the center of campus life by any definition. He is in a plaza in front of a building that hosts almost no classes. I had never even been inside the Academic Building until my senior year when I took a random Russian language class.

Places with a better claim to be the "center of campus life".

MSC
Dorms
Northgate
any of the bus stops.
PabloSerna
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Sully is not the center of a cult of personality.

He is an exemplar.
Quote:

An exemplar is a person, a place, an object, or some other entity that serves as a predominant example of a given concept
Soldier, Statesman, Knightly Gentleman.

Sort of like

First in War. First in Peace. First in the hearts of his countrymen.

Or

IN THIS TEMPLE
AS IN THE HEARTS OF THE PEOPLE
FOR WHOM HE SAVED THE UNION
THE MEMORY OF ABRAHAM LINCOLN
IS ENSHRINED FOREVER
After reading about his exaggeration of the Pease River Massacre - I would say he was an opportunist, vain, and conflicted. I am not as impressed with his documented history as you are. We disagree on the level of adulation he should merit - that's all.

CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

I had never even been inside the Academic Building until my senior year when I took a random Russian language class.
Do football players even come to that part of campus these days?
fasthorse05
Using the mores of today, to judge so many from the past is ignorance personified.

If you want to have a discussion, like this thread, great. If you want to take action on those "modern" thoughts to ACT on past "sins and crimes", the you really do fall into the Orwell category.

When the mantle of our egalitarian and intellectual purists are being used, then it's perfectly fine to wait for them to age, and pour over every single decision and action they have made. We can judge their family, children, and relatives, using the mores of tomorrow, whatever they may be. Knowing their current thinking, which means they have an infallible life during the time they're alive, I'm certain they'll cast aside this thought, but now they've chosen to open the door, it means the floodgates should be open to every decision of their professional and personal life to be acted on by others.

PabloSerna
AG
TxAg82 said:

PabloSerna said:

CanyonAg77 said:

Quote:

+pablo

What a weird stipulation. "I believe he should be honored, just not the place he has been honored for a century." Ok.

Also, he isn't really in the center of campus life by any definition. He is in a plaza in front of a building that hosts almost no classes. I had never even been inside the Academic Building until my senior year when I took a random Russian language class.

MSC
Dorms
Northgate
any of the bus stops.
Agreed - would not use geometry to figure out the center of campus.

In my opinion - that part of campus where his is now, has a history to it and is located in front of one of the oldest buildings on campus. To me, these things matter.

deddog
AG
UniqueIGN said:

I mean, he quite literally forced black people out of office in Fort Bend county and gave the office to all white people who made it illegal to run for office if youre black in that county. So I would not call him an ally.
You realize this was over 120 years ago right?
Even schools were desegregated only in the 1950s

Do they not teach history to gender studies majors?
Or is this a result of eating too much bad cheesecake?
CanyonAg77
AG
Move those goalposts, Pablo. First you're saying he's not that great when it comes to A&M, then you switch to what a 22-year-old said about a fight he was in.

That's the modus operandi of the anti-Sully forces. Throw up crap, when it gets debunked, throw up different crap.

You are not clever or insightful. You're merely tiresome and regurgitating your mentor Alvard's talking points.
agAngeldad
PabloSerna said:

TxAg82 said:

PabloSerna said:

CanyonAg77 said:

Quote:

+pablo

MSC
Dorms
Northgate
any of the bus stops.

In my opinion - that part of campus where his is now, has a history to it and is located in front of one of the oldest buildings on campus. To me, these things matter.

what is the end game? how does a move make it better or worse to those who feel offended. Do we move the RV's as well?
TxAg82
AG
Well... he is one of the oldest Presidents. Makes a lot of sense to me that he would be in front of one of the oldest buildings.
PabloSerna
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Move those goalposts, Pablo. First you're saying he's not that great when it comes to A&M, then you switch to what a 22-year-old said about a fight he was in.

That's the modus operandi of the anti-Sully forces. Throw up crap, when it gets debunked, throw up different crap.

You are not clever or insightful You're merely tiresome and regurgitating your mentor Alvard's talking points.
I don't know who Alvard is - but fine, I respect your decision to stop this discussion. I am merely making my point. For me, I did read about Sul Ross and it wasn't pretty. He did some good things, he did some bad things. What is troubling to me is the extent that good people will go to honor his legacy - even against the current and future students of our great school.

+pablo

End Of Message
AG
I have a scheduled call with a former board member who remains very influential later today. I cannot and will not provide further details, but please know multiple people are trying to address issues with the administration.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Don't think for a second that Alvard doesn't post here. A guy who violates simple civility instructions from the police so that he can be a "martyr" can't help but tell everyone how wrong they are on a message board.
Tanya 93
PabloSerna said:

TxAg82 said:

PabloSerna said:

CanyonAg77 said:

Quote:

+pablo

MSC
Dorms
Northgate
any of the bus stops.

And his history of that is saving this school

These protesting twits wouldn't be here if it wasn't for him.

They hate A&M. They need to go somewhere else because if you think A&M is racist instead of select individuals, you don't belong here. This not a racist school. They bend over backward for these morons and it will never be enough.

Somehow saying All Lives Matter is racist

**** them. Their lives are no more important than my son's. Or CanyonAg77. Or a fireman. Or kids in HS theatre.

Tailgate88
AG
Those who wish to take Sully down are not interested in facts, they deal only in emotion. As such, you can never change their mind by presenting facts. They just want their emotions validated.

Sorry, not sorry.
cisgenderedAggie
TxAg82 said:

PabloSerna said:

CanyonAg77 said:

Quote:

+pablo

MSC
Dorms
Northgate
any of the bus stops.

Centralside!
astros4545
AG
PabloSerna said:

CanyonAg77 said:

Quote:

Textbook example - it is impossible to know. However, you are willing to defend a hunk of metal and stone to the end - is that a correct understanding?

I gave you my answer for relocating - is your reason because no one did more for TAMU than he? Yet here we are a public institution using public money. Your money and mine correct? Do I have any say in how my taxes are spent?

You don't know me - best to keep it between the lines. For the record, I'm not easily offended.

+Pablo

Not easily offended maybe

But easily confused
Sterling82
Apparently, if Pease and Pablo had been on hand when challenged with whoever is without sin, let him cast the first stone, they would have grabbed a boulder.
PabloSerna
AG
agAngeldad said:

PabloSerna said:

TxAg82 said:

PabloSerna said:

CanyonAg77 said:

Quote:

+pablo

MSC
Dorms
Northgate
any of the bus stops.

what is the end game? how does a move make it better or worse to those who feel offended. Do we move the RV's as well?
I am an architect by training. One of the axioms we hold is "place."

Good architecture seeks to create "places." A good place should strive to bring a community together. If you have ever traveled to Europe - you may have visited their squares/plazas. Small Texas towns were developed in this model.

I believe the space in front of the Academic Building is such a place.

I would hope that we can all agree to make that place more inviting and a place we can all (past, present, and future Aggies) get to know each other.

+pablo

End Of Message
AG
What makes it not inviting?
deddog
AG
Mr. AGSPRT04 said:

Don't think for a second that Alvard doesn't post here. A guy who violates simple civility instructions from the police so that he can be a "martyr" can't help but tell everyone how wrong they are on a message board.
Oh i think he's posting on *this* page.
At his age, if you're still an Associate Professor, it probably means he has a lot of time on his hands.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.