How to be saved?

24,719 Views | 576 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by dermdoc
Zobel
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Can you repeat that? Who chose - the congregation?

Do you think the church of Christ denomination is unique in that they have presbyters or elders in every church? Does any denomination not have an elder, pastor, presbyter, in each church?
aggiedad20
dermdoc said:

https://www.britannica.com/topic/Church-of-Christ

Romans 16:16
Ephesians 4:12/ 5:23
1 Cor 12:27
Col 1:24
aggiedad20
Elder pastor bishop are the same office

The autonomous nature of the NT church isn't a mystery or rocker science
Zobel
AG
Ok, I'll accept that you can't support your assertions from either a historical or a scriptural basis. No reason to keep beating a dead horse.
dermdoc
AG
aggiedad20 said:

Who met for the Councils that decided the Canon?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
dermdoc
AG
Zobel said:

Ok, I'll accept that you can't support your assertions from either a historical or a scriptural basis. No reason to keep beating a dead horse.

Yep
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
aggiedad20
dermdoc said:

aggiedad20 said:

Hmmmm the Brazos Fellowship senior choir members?

dermdoc
AG
aggiedad20 said:

dermdoc said:

aggiedad20 said:

Hmmmm the Brazos Fellowship senior choir members?

Done
dermdoc
AG
And I want to correct myself as no Council actually decided the Canon. Thank you Zobel.
aggiedad20
dermdoc said:

And I want to correct myself as no Council actually decided the Canon. Thank you Zobel.

Nice correction. Saved me some words.

Words matter
one MEEN Ag
AG
I don't get it, what is your point for the past 5 pages here. You show up, don't engage in honest discourse, and constantly puff your chest out about church of Christ. No one here has A) been so wowed with your pride and arrogance that they want to go join a church of Christ church, or B) Thought you've given any contextually accurate biblical answers to the valid questions laid before you.

Just to recap, you haven't given any explanation about why a independent, autonomous churches are a good thing. Nor pointed out any critiques of what was wrong with the early churches have interchurch councils. You also haven't explained why Paul himself was wrong to endorse positions of regional church leadership like a bishop.

Your remarks stink of pride. You do not boast in Christ, but in your Church of Christ (TM) worldview. Whats your view on other churches? Are church of Christ members the sole group who Christ calls his church? When we get to heaven do you think its just going to be the cast of characters from the old testament, Jesus, his direct disciples and then a 1800 year gap across time and an ocean to church of Christ members?

The most frustrating part of these exchanges is that you have intentionally have created no room for new knowledge in your worldview.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Quote:

Hm, I think we may be talking about different things. When you say unilateral decrees, what does that mean? St Paul's epistles are filled with absolute statements that tolerate no deviation. For example, "By this gospel you are saved, if you hold firmly to the word I preached to you. Otherwise, you have believed in vain." or "If Christ has not been raised, our preaching is worthless, and so is your faith." Or, "Take notice: I, Paul, tell you that if you let yourselves be circumcised, Christ will be of no value to you at all." Those are pretty strong decrees.

Or, do you mean things like "women should cover their heads in worship"? Because I think there's a kind of difference there, no?
I was referring to specific commandments and prohibitions of the second type, which I would call Christian legalisms.

Quote:

Anyhow, the way I see it, authority is participation in Christ's authority. It's not something any bishop has solely from their office or from their person. If St Paul deviated from truth in his teaching, he'd deviate from that authority. If a lay person teaches the truth, they teach with authority.
It's really no fun to argue with you when you go and say awesome stuff like this
wcb
AG
This thread makes me a bit sad. Page one we have a guy asking essentially how to become a disciple. Reading between the lines he's accepted Christ and now doesn't have a clue what the first step is. Near as I can tell he checked out after page one.

While the following 16 pages are meaningful debate my guess is it contributed zero to OP's spiritual development. It seems to be a perfect picture of how we, the church, are so easily derailed.

OP, if you're still around, "go and sin no more". Plug into a solid bible teaching church that will help you explore the scriptures. They're your playbook for getting to know the heart of God.
ramblin_ag02
AG
wcb said:

This thread makes me a bit sad. Page one we have a guy asking essentially how to become a disciple. Reading between the lines he's accepted Christ and now doesn't have a clue what the first step is. Near as I can tell he checked out after page one.

While the following 16 pages are meaningful debate my guess is it contributed zero to OP's spiritual development. It seems to be a perfect picture of how we, the church, are so easily derailed.

OP, if you're still around, "go and sin no more". Plug into a solid bible teaching church that will help you explore the scriptures. They're your playbook for getting to know the heart of God.
Hey, we made it almost a whole page being helpful and informative before we started bickering. That's got to be an internet record
aggiedad20
one MEEN Ag said:

I don't get it, what is your point for the past 5 pages here. You show up, don't engage in honest discourse, and constantly puff your chest out about church of Christ. No one here has A) been so wowed with your pride and arrogance that they want to go join a church of Christ church, or B) Thought you've given any contextually accurate biblical answers to the valid questions laid before you.

Just to recap, you haven't given any explanation about why a independent, autonomous churches are a good thing. Nor pointed out any critiques of what was wrong with the early churches have interchurch councils. You also haven't explained why Paul himself was wrong to endorse positions of regional church leadership like a bishop.

Your remarks stink of pride. You do not boast in Christ, but in your Church of Christ (TM) worldview. Whats your view on other churches? Are church of Christ members the sole group who Christ calls his church? When we get to heaven do you think its just going to be the cast of characters from the old testament, Jesus, his direct disciples and then a 1800 year gap across time and an ocean to church of Christ members?

The most frustrating part of these exchanges is that you have intentionally have created no room for new knowledge in your worldview.

Nobody "joins" the church.

God adds those to His church that obey the Gospel (Acts 2:41)
aggiedad20
wcb said:

Or he could just read the Bible and obey the gospel

http://www.thywordistruth.com/plan-of-salvation.html
Pierow
AG
aggiedad20 said:

one MEEN Ag said:

Nobody "joins" the church.

God adds those to His church that obey the Gospel (Acts 2:41)

So a church of Christ'er believes in God's justification, God's predestination, and a little bit of Calvinism? I love to hear it. As a former member of the COC, I applaud you. That's the perfect scripture to use.
Acts 2:38
dermdoc
AG
And here we go

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.