How to be saved?

26,243 Views | 576 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by dermdoc
Pierow
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Zobel said:

How am I making it too complicated by quoting what the scripture says? I'm not adding or subtracting to it.

You point out that St John said "I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, so that you may know that you have eternal life." But he also wrote: "If we say that we have fellowship with Him and yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth." Is one statement more or less true than the other? Is it too complicated to say both are true? If St John wrote a letter explaining how to know you have eternal life, shouldn't we say that the entire content of the letter explains the opening summary?
Quote:

It should be able to be understood by the average person. Peter didn't go on a diatribe when he was asked the question of what you must do to be "saved". Repent, and be baptized. He didn't add anything to it, other than to explain why. We have a tendency to twist things into pretzel shaped enigmas. In the meantime, the gospel is to be taught to little children.
I think you're confusing St Peter with St Paul and the Jailer in Acts 16. St Peter at Pentecost didn't respond to what to do to be saved, just "what shall we do?" (Acts 2:37) As in - oh no, we killed the Messiah. And even so, yes - repent and be baptized. And then? "he earnestly testified many other words and was exhorting them".

And what of the Jailer? Yes, to be saved, one must repent and be baptized. It is the first step - it is being born, as you point out, of water and the Spirit. But life does not end with birth, but begins.

It isn't complicated. The average person can understand it just fine. My kids understand the idea of faith, and trust, and obedience. They also understand disobedience, and consequences. These are not complicated ideas.

What is complicated is all of the special pleading about why even though nearly every author of the NT and many of the prophets and the psalmist and the Lord Himself say at the Day of the Lord everyone will be judged for what they said and did, it somehow doesn't mean that.

No, I'm not. Acts 2:38. It was Peter.
Acts 2:38
Pierow
AG
Zobel said:

I didn't even make an argument about Matthew 12. All I did was point out the Lord says we will be judged for every word we say.

Quote:

This is why your argument doesn't work (in my opinion). You need the conclusion to be that the fruits determine the health of the tree when Matthew 12 says the opposite.

My argument? You seem to be making it for me. I don't recall ever saying that the fruits determine the health of the tree. I think you said that was wrong, but I didn't say it was right.

Quote:

But thing is, the Orthodox Priests I've listened to actually get it, whether they realize it directly or not. I can remember Fr Damick talking with awe about a Priest on Mt. Athos who could simultaneously pray, while also listening/carrying a conversation at the same time. There's a realization that our fruits will never be enough, and that drives people extremes when they realize it.
I don't know how many times I have to tell you that you do not understand what I am saying and are arguing against things I am not putting forward before perhaps you'll believe me. When I say that I reject the idea of "enough" do you think I am fibbing?

Quote:

To your last question, yes the Lord will judge us, and I can tell you the verdict for you, for me, for every single person born of a man and women. Romans 3:23, "all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God." I can even tell you the punishment. Romans 6:23 "For the wages of sin are death."

So yes, we will stand, and yes we will be found guilty, but I put my hope in the second half of Romans 6:23 "the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord."
I think this is not correct. The wages of sin are death, but death is not a punishment at the judgment seat of Christ. "man is appointed to die once, and after that to face judgment." Death isn't the punishment but the consequence of sin - the wage you earn when you sin. It is not a judgment from the Lord, but a sad reality - and one which He endured death to defeat.

Second, the Day of Judgment is not strictly a negative thing in the Law, or the Psalms, or the Prophets. The righteous call out for vindication to the Lord. The Day of the Lord is not simply the Lord coming down and smiting and destroying everyone and everything - on the contrary, "He executes justice for the fatherless and the widow" and "The Lord sustains the humble but casts the wicked to the ground" and "The Lord tears down the house of the proud, but protects the borders of the widows" and "The wicked are overthown and perish, but the house of the righteous will stand." It also says in another place "The Lord detests the thoughts of the wicked but the words of the pure are pleasant to Him." The Psalmist calls for the Lord to arise and judge the earth, to vindicate the righteous, to put an end to evil but establish the righteous. The Psalmist says "The righteous will rejoice when they see they are avenged." Yes, the Day of the Lord is presented as a terror in the prophets, over and over - but a terror because of wickedness, pride, arrogance, unbelief, rebellion. As The Prophet Micah heard: says,
Quote:

For behold, the day is coming, burning like a furnace, when all the arrogant and every evildoer will be stubble; the day is coming when I will set them ablaze, says the LORD of Hosts. Not a root or branch will be left to them.

But for you who fear My name, the sun of righteousness will rise with healing in its wings, and you will go out and leap like calves from the stall. Then you will trample the wicked, for they will be ashes under the soles of your feet on the day I am preparing," says the LORD of Hosts.
And so St Peter says, because we anticipate the Day of the Lord to "make every effort to be found at peace, spotless and blameless in His sight." Not, "because you have been justified you will be..." but "make every effort..."

Not everyone will be judged a sinner. That doesn't fit with the teaching of the Lord
"The angels will come and separate the wicked from the righteous"
"The Son of Man will send out His angels, and they will weed out of His kingdom every cause of sin and all who practice lawlessness"
"He will separate the people one from another, as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats"

To one He will say "Enter into the joy of your master" and to another "You wicked, lazy servant!" To one, He will say "Come, you who are blessed by My Father" and to another "Depart from Me, you who are cursed" - And "Blessed is that servant whose master finds him doing so when he returns."

St Paul says we must appear before the judgment seat so that we may receive what is due for the things done in the body, whether good or bad. He says "each will be rewarded according to their labor." Not, all will be judged sinners, but for good and bad.

The righteous wait for the day of judgment, they hope for it, because as St Peter says, "we are looking forward to a new heaven and a new earth, where righteousness dwells."

He became sin for us, not so that he could pronounce us sinners, but "so that we might become the righteousness of God", because "He is our righteousness". The culmination of the Law was Christ, "to bring righteousness to those who believe". So,

"In Him and through faith in Him we may enter God's presence with boldness and confidence"
"Such confidence before God is ours through Christ"
"remain in Christ, so that when He appears, we may be confident and unashamed before Him at His coming" "if our hearts do not condemn us, we have confidence before God"
"God is love; whoever abides in love abides in God, and God in him. By this is love perfected with us, so that we may have confidence for the day of judgment, because as he is so also are we in this world."

And "The one who practices righteousness is righteous, just as Christ is righteous."
Quote:

I don't put it the hope that my works will be good enough at judgement day, I know they won't be.
Right - you still are not understanding. I don't know how to make this more clear. I am not saying that at the judgment seat we will put forward our works to tell the Lord, because of this that I have done I merit righteousness. Or, because I did this and that, I accomplished something. Or, because I did this or that, I am worthy. No. It is not our works which save us like that, not did we do enough, did we cross the bar, but whether or not we are righteous or wicked. It's not merit, its ontology.

He as the judge will say, because you did this or that, I never knew you, or I knew you. He will ask, what did you do with your talents? He will separate based on what we did when we saw Him "hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison." People will be judged righteous or not, by the Judge, and "they will be known by their fruit" - "those who have done good to the resurrection of life, and those who have done evil to the resurrection of judgment."

Ontology, or not, you have just described an unregenerate, un-born again human being. Those not covered by the blood of Christ. Those who will be judged by their thoughts, words, and deeds. Those who will still be in their sins. He's not talking about those who are true parts of the body of Christ.
Zobel
AG

Quote:

Yes, John was talking to the false converts. There are a great deal of false converts. They were never were part of the body to begin with. Along that vein, if you were walking in the light by the Holy Spirit, you are not a false convert.
Nowhere does St John imply he was talking to anyone but believers. The entire letter makes no sense talking to false converts. Can you actually provide any evidence to support this?
Zobel
AG
St. Peter is answering the question "Brothers, what shall we do?" not "what shall we do to be saved?" The words "to be saved" aren't in Acts 2.
Zobel
AG
Provide evidence from scriptures please. It's no good just saying things. How do you say that only the deeds of the evil will be judged by the Lord? The scriptures don't say that.

"For we will all stand before God's judgment seat."
"For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, that each one may receive his due for the things done in the body, whether good or bad."

"Therefore judge nothing before the appointed time; wait until the Lord comes. He will bring to light what is hidden in darkness and will expose the motives of men's hearts. At that time each will receive his praise from God."
"For the Son of Man is about to come in the glory His Father, with His angels, and then He will give to each according to his deeds."

"Do not marvel at this, for an hour is coming in which all those in the tombs will hear His voice, and will come forth--those having done good to the resurrection of life, and those having done evil to the resurrection of judgment."

Pierow
AG
Zobel said:

Quote:

Yes, John was talking to the false converts. There are a great deal of false converts. They were never were part of the body to begin with. Along that vein, if you were walking in the light by the Holy Spirit, you are not a false convert.
Nowhere does St John imply he was talking to anyone but believers. The entire letter makes no sense talking to false converts. Can you actually provide any evidence to support this?

You believe everybody that attends congregational, corporate worship is a Christian? Even then. And yes, Jesus talks about falseness inside the body quite a bit. Many fool themselves.
Zobel
AG
You didn't answer the question. Can you provide evidence that St John is speaking to false converts?
Pierow
AG
Zobel said:

St. Peter is answering the question "Brothers, what shall we do?" not "what shall we do to be saved?" The words "to be saved" aren't in Acts 2.

"Now when they heard this they were cut to the heart, and said to Peter and the rest of the apostles, "Brothers, what shall we do?" And Peter said to them, "Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. For the promise is for you and for your children and for all who are far off, everyone whom the Lord our God calls to himself." And with many other words he bore witness and continued to exhort them, saying, "Save yourselves from this crooked generation.""
Acts 2:37-40 ESV

What were you saying again? Reading this in context, it is clear. The crooked generation are those destined for hell. Twist it all you like.
Zobel
AG
You said:
Quote:

Peter didn't go on a diatribe when he was asked the question of what you must do to be "saved". Repent, and be baptized".
He wasn't asked anything about being "saved". They said, "Brothers, what shall we do?"

The person who asked "what shall I do to be saved" is the Jailer in Acts 16.

At any rate you said he didn't go on a "diatribe" but it says there, he told them what to do "and with many other words he bore witness and continued to exhort them" so I think your original point wasn't correct anyway.
Pierow
AG
Zobel said:

You said:
Quote:

Peter didn't go on a diatribe when he was asked the question of what you must do to be "saved". Repent, and be baptized".
He wasn't asked anything about being "saved". They said, "Brothers, what shall we do?"
The person who asked "what shall I do to be saved" is the Jailer in Acts 16.

What did you think he meant? Or what did you think they meant? Sweep out the joint? When you receive the Holy Spirit, you are saved. Free gift of God. End of story.
Zobel
AG
I think they wanted to know what they should do, seeing as they were in a pretty tight predicament having just murdered the Messiah.

Can't take the L huh?

Quote:

When you receive the Holy Spirit, you are saved. Free gift of God. End of story.
Yes, this is the point in question. I have quoted numerous times to show you that St Paul uses saved in past, present, and future. It is not end of story.

You believe in Sola Scriptura? Support it.
Pierow
AG
"For all the promises of God find their Yes in him. That is why it is through him that we utter our Amen to God for his glory. And it is God who establishes us with you in Christ, and has anointed us, and who has also put his seal on us and given us his Spirit in our hearts as a guarantee."
2 Corinthians 1:20-22 ESV

"For as many as are the promises of God, in Him they are yes; therefore also through Him is our Amen to the glory of God through us. Now He who establishes us with you in Christ and anointed us is God, who also sealed us and gave us the Spirit in our hearts as a pledge."
2 Corinthians 1:20-22 NASB1995

"For all the promises of God in him are yea, and in him Amen, unto the glory of God by us. Now he which stablisheth us with you in Christ, and hath anointed us, is God; Who hath also sealed us, and given the earnest of the Spirit in our hearts."
2 Corinthians 1:20-22 KJV

Zobel
AG
I'm sorry but I don't think that proves your point. Can you explain why you think that means both the righteous and the wicked won't be judged?

A few pages later St Paul says "For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, that each one may receive his due for the things done in the body, whether good or bad." He also says - "we urge you not to receive God's grace in vain."

Does a man's faithlessness nullify the faithfulness of God?
Pierow
AG
Zobel said:

I'm sorry but I don't think that proves your point. Can you explain why you think that means both the righteous and the wicked won't be judged?

A few pages later St Paul says "For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, that each one may receive his due for the things done in the body, whether good or bad." He also says - "we urge you not to receive God's grace in vain."

Does a man's faithlessness nullify the faithfulness of God?

"And every priest stands daily at his service, offering repeatedly the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins. But when Christ had offered for all time a single sacrifice for sins, he sat down at the right hand of God, waiting from that time until his enemies should be made a footstool for his feet. For by a single offering he has perfected for all time those who are being sanctified."
Hebrews 10:11-14

We are not going to be judged for any sin. We are perfected for all time.

The perfection that comes from Jesus' sacrifice has no end even though those who have been made perfect are still in the process of "being made holy." What makes us perfect is not what we do, but what Jesus did on our behalf. His infinite perfection cannot be stained by our imperfections. If we have put our trust in Jesus' death to pay the penalty for sin, we can be confident that sins from our past, our present, and our future, are forgiven all because of the perfection of Jesus' sacrifice.

"In him we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to the purpose of him who works all things according to the counsel of his will, so that we who were the first to hope in Christ might be to the praise of his glory. In him you also, when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and believed in him, were sealed with the promised Holy Spirit, who is the guarantee of our inheritance until we acquire possession of it, to the praise of his glory."
Ephesians 1:11-14 ESV

We are predestined. We have the Holy Spirit to guarantee our down payment. Our inheritance is assured.

If we turn to Romans 8:1, it says, "There is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus." On the basis of that one verse alone and of course there are myriad others like it we can conclude that while believers will be judged after death we will not be condemned and consigned to hell. As Jesus tells us in John 6:40, "Everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day." That is a clear statement of justification at the end for all who look to Christ in faith.

So, if you believe we will be judged for bad deeds, in heaven, what will the judgment be? Will there be punishment? According to Scripture there is not going to be any punishment. Not for those truly in the body.

At the judgment seat of Christ, what we have done or not done, will be judged, but not only that. Also, our motives for what we have done will be judged. Paul presented essentially the same idea in 1 Corinthians 3:12, where he spoke of a coming assessment of each one's work before the Lord. In that passage, by the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, the Apostle Paul made it clear that what we have done and our motive for doing it will be tested by fire and the purifying fire of God will burn up everything that was not of Him.

The judgment seat of Christ is not punishment for the things we have not done rightly. Instead, the things that we have not done unto God's glory, both in action and in motive will simply be burned up. And it will be as if we never did those things to begin with, and we will be rewarded for what remains. I think it is kind of sad to consider that there are some people who will get to heaven, thinking they have done great things for God and they will find out at the judgment seat of Christ (when the purifying fire of the assessment and the judgment of Jesus passes over what they did and their motives for doing it) that all those things will be burnt up, and it will be apparent to them that they really did nothing for God, certainly nothing great for Him. On this basis, rewards will differ for God's people in the age to come.

Christians will not appear before the throne of God's judgment, what we call in the Revelation 20:11-12 sense, the Great White Throne of judgment. However, having been saved, what we do for the cause of Christ, how we live unto His glory, and our motives for doing those things that will be assessed by Jesus Christ, and the things that we have not done out of right action and motive will be burned away and it will be as if they never existed.

Is there a judgment for Christians? Yes, there is a judgment for Christians, the judgment seat of Christ, as you mentioned are there in 2 Corinthians and in 1 Corinthians. But we will not face the Great White Throne judgment. Our sins were paid for, by what Jesus did at the cross.
Zobel
AG

Quote:

We are not going to be judged for any sin.

We are perfected for all time.

I'd like to talk about these two statements, second first. The word for perfected is a form of telos, which means complete, finish, accomplish, reach the aim. It isn't perfect as in, without flaw, but perfect as in, fulfilled in function, taken to the ultimate conclusion, added what is lacking. It's the same concept in "Christ is the end (telos) of the Law for those believing." You could say, by this single offering He has finished for all time those who are being sanctified. Put another way, there is no further offering needed and nothing more needs to be done for those in order to be sanctified.

So this idea of perfection is finished-ness not flawless-ness otherwise the idea is a bit of a temporal contradiction. If we take it, as you are, as "flawless," then it says that He has made flawless those who are being made flawless. I think it makes quite a bit more sense to say, he has brought to the finish line those who are being made flawless - which, in fact, the Greek supports.

But, this verse doesn't actually say the second part. It doesn't say that there is no judgment for sin. In fact, quite the opposite! A few verses later it says
Quote:

If we deliberately go on sinning after we have received the knowledge of the truth, no further sacrifice for sins remains, but only a fearful expectation of judgment and of raging fire that will consume all adversaries. Anyone who rejected the law of Moses died without mercy on the testimony of two or three witnesses. How much more severely do you think one deserves to be punished who has trampled on the Son of God, profaned the blood of the covenant that sanctified him, and insulted the Spirit of grace?

For we know Him who said, "Vengeance is Mine; I will repay," and again, "The Lord will judge His people." It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.

...So do not throw away your confidence; it holds a great reward. You need to persevere, so that after you have done the will of God, you will receive what He has promised
Therefore, in the once for all sacrifice we are completed, and there is no need for further sacrifice for sin - we lack nothing to be sanctified. What we have is unlimited forgiveness for our sins, there is nothing further needed to obtain forgiveness. Yet if we go on sinning there are still consequences, and the reward comes at the end. The "no judgment" is conditional on our obedience and faith, which is made possibly by the Spirit (not by our own power).

Quote:

We are predestined. We have the Holy Spirit to guarantee our down payment. Our inheritance is assured.
Predestined is a tough translation because it carries a great deal of linguistic burden in English - the word is better in the old KJV "foreordained." Its pro (before / towards) and horizo (boundary or limit - where we get the word "horizon" from). This word in other classical sources is used of generals arranging their units before a battle. One simple way to understand when St Paul uses this word is something like God who before creation creates His "battle plan" and knows which "units" are His and which belong to the enemy, and arranges His plan accordingly, to carry out His will - which, in this case, is to save mankind and creation.

But of course, I agree with this verse, and your understanding of it. Part of salvation is escaping condemnation on the Day of the Lord. And everyone in Christ will not be condemned, everyone who looks to Christ in faith will be saved, and from the beginning He has worked to accomplish this very thing for those He foreknew. Clearly.

Quote:

So, if you believe we will be judged for bad deeds, in heaven, what will the judgment be? Will there be punishment? According to Scripture there is not going to be any punishment. Not for those truly in the body.
Here there is some confusion. I'm not sure how you envision the "timeline" working out. Do you think there is judgment "in heaven"? It seems as if you are saying we die, and go to heaven and then are judged. I think the modern concept of "go to heaven" is wholly unscriptural, so we can leave that aside, but this may be where things are getting tripped up. It seems to me that the scriptures say there will be a time, then the judgment will come, and then the new creation will happen from the judgment, and heaven and earth will be united. Those who sleep in the Lord are awaiting that day, but the dead will rise for judgment (which has not come).

And, I am glad we have concluded correctly that everyone - the righteous and wicked alike - will be Judged by the Judge who is the Son of God, who is Christ Jesus.

I don't understand how one can justify that there are two thrones (are there two Lords?) and two judgments (are there two Judges)? But essentially nothing you've said other than that is misaligned with my understanding.

The only last step here is to understand what separates the sheep from the goats. You're calling the sheep "Christians" but this is not in the scriptures. We don't get to say who is sheep, and who is goats, certainly not by our religious or denomination affiliations. The Lord will separate them. The scriptures go through effort to tell us a lot about how people will be judged. It is the subject of this entire thread. It doesn't say "Christians" and "non-Christians". In fact it seems to me that every warning against judgment in the NT is directed to people who are already in the church the NT is not written to unbelievers but believers! It says that the Lord separates people by what they've done.

Before you bristle and say "but that's works righteousness!" please pause a moment. He isn't saying - how much good did you do, you need to have 10 points to get into heaven. He didn't do that in the parable of the Talents. Quantity must be precluded. He judges, as you say, the heart, the intent, and truly who we actually are - which is of course knowable to us by our own fruit. This is why - as we judge others we will be judged. And if we judge ourselves, as St Paul says, we will not be judged. If we accept the work of God in us, His grace - which is a free gift - and work with Him, allowing Him to work, we will be righteous. Even the righteousness of God. And, being righteous, we will yield righteousness. And so, the judgment of deeds and the judgment of faithfulness or wickedness are one and the same: "by their fruit you will know them." Not that having two sins is the max, and three you're screwed, unless you have four good deed offset tokens. No - you may know you're righteous if you love others, and because of this we have confidence that we are forgiven, justified, and will not face condemnation.
DirtDiver

Quote:

Here is a nonsense combination of words that arose only with the Protestant Reformation: "People gain eternal life before they die". It's still a head scratcher for me, and I've been taught this theology since infancy. Take just a single step back and you see how the statement doesn't make any sense and contradicts itself. If you gained eternal life before death, then you wouldn't die. Seems pretty straightforward to me. Yet here we all are, still mortal and still dying just the same as ever.
I could see where this is confusing to some however when we exhaust the scriptures things are pieced together better. A person has eternal life the moment they believe in Jesus. That's His promise. The reason this does not contradict is because of the resurrection.

I'm fairly confident that Jesus does not define eternal life as the absence of physical death because His plan for eternal life goes far beyond never dying in our earthly bodies and because of the resurrection He promises. in other words, eternal life is not living forever in our bodies as they are, with pains, weakness, illness, etc. His plan for our resurrected bodies is no pain, imperishable, etc.

"Truly, truly, I say to you, the one who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life. - Jesus John 5:24

Truly, truly, I say to you, the one who believes has eternal life. Jesus

Paul - even when we were dead in our wrongdoings, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved),

Quote:

But until that last second you can still turn toward or turn away.

Can a believer undo this promises?

and I give them eternal life, and they will never perish; and no one will snatch them out of My hand. 29 My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father's hand. 30 I and the Father are one."

Jesus says we can have eternal life while we are alive. To lose it by definition would have meant it was no longer eternal
Zobel
AG
I agree with the first half. If a person is in Christ they have passed from death into life.

St Paul says you can receive grace in vain, or believe in vain, and says he keeps pushing so that having preached to others he himself isn't disqualified. The entirety of the NT was written to believers, so either we need to accept that a person may be mistaken about themselves and thus need to be warned - lest they fall away, or accept that you can fall away by active disobedience. In Romans, again writing to believers, he says if you live according to the flesh you will die, but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body you will live. Hebrews warns against deliberate sins.

And - I mean, this is the real thing - you ask if a believer can undo a promise. The answer is no - God's promise doesn't change. But a person being faithless doesn't invalidate the promise, we literally have this question rhetorically asked and answered in Romans 3. And, part of the gospel (which is the promise of God) is both the promise of salvation, and the promise of judgment. The return to judge the living and the dead is part of the gospel, and cannot be excluded. So - can a believer undo that promise?

The whole "if you fell away you never were saved" just seems to me to be tautological and rather useless, especially since we have numerous verses warning against falling away, parables about people who believe and later fall away, etc.
AgLiving06
[quoteI didn't even make an argument about Matthew 12. All I did was point out the Lord says we will be judged for every word we say./quote]

Sure you did.

Or do you not recall how you claimed I " go through great pains to argue with the Lord," or "The struggle you're having is because you're burdened this one word."

Everything for you so far has been all about how our works will be judged.

Quote:

My argument? You seem to be making it for me. I don't recall ever saying that the fruits determine the health of the tree. I think you said that was wrong, but I didn't say it was right.

Meh...It's the logical conclusion of your argument.

Quote:

I don't know how many times I have to tell you that you do not understand what I am saying and are arguing against things I am not putting forward before perhaps you'll believe me. When I say that I reject the idea of "enough" do you think I am fibbing?

I understand what you're saying. I'm also not allowing you to try and wiggle out of the conundrum your position puts you in....

Quote:

I think this is not correct. The wages of sin are death, but death is not a punishment at the judgment seat of Christ. "man is appointed to die once, and after that to face judgment." Death isn't the punishment but the consequence of sin - the wage you earn when you sin. It is not a judgment from the Lord, but a sad reality - and one which He endured death to defeat.

Second, the Day of Judgment is not strictly a negative thing in the Law, or the Psalms, or the Prophets. The righteous call out for vindication to the Lord. The Day of the Lord is not simply the Lord coming down and smiting and destroying everyone and everything - on the contrary, "He executes justice for the fatherless and the widow" and "The Lord sustains the humble but casts the wicked to the ground" and "The Lord tears down the house of the proud, but protects the borders of the widows" and "The wicked are overthown and perish, but the house of the righteous will stand." It also says in another place "The Lord detests the thoughts of the wicked but the words of the pure are pleasant to Him." The Psalmist calls for the Lord to arise and judge the earth, to vindicate the righteous, to put an end to evil but establish the righteous. The Psalmist says "The righteous will rejoice when they see they are avenged." Yes, the Day of the Lord is presented as a terror in the prophets, over and over - but a terror because of wickedness, pride, arrogance, unbelief, rebellion. As The Prophet Micah heard: says,

Thank you again for pointing out the mess that comes when you try to use scripture to show synergism.

Because of sin, we have death. Because of sin we are separated from God.

There's no loophole in the Psalms. David begs the Father for mercy all the time. He begs to be declared righteous, knowing he isn't.

Does the Lord ignore the sin of the fatherless or the widow? Of course not. There may be justice to be had and there maybe rewards for those who suffered in this life, but that continues to be a secondary action.

Quote:

And so St Peter says, because we anticipate the Day of the Lord to "make every effort to be found at peace, spotless and blameless in His sight." Not, "because you have been justified you will be..." but "make every effort..."

You're preaching to the choir.

Did I already point out that we are "slaves to righteousness" or "slaves to sin?" How about that we were created for good works?"

Of course we should make every effort to follow the commandments of God. It's what we were created to do.

Quote:

Right - you still are not understanding. I don't know how to make this more clear. I am not saying that at the judgment seat we will put forward our works to tell the Lord, because of this that I have done I merit righteousness. Or, because I did this and that, I accomplished something. Or, because I did this or that, I am worthy. No. It is not our works which save us like that, not did we do enough, did we cross the bar, but whether or not we are righteous or wicked. It's not merit, its ontology.

He as the judge will say, because you did this or that, I never knew you, or I knew you. He will ask, what did you do with your talents? He will separate based on what we did when we saw Him "hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison." People will be judged righteous or not, by the Judge, and "they will be known by their fruit" - "those who have done good to the resurrection of life, and those who have done evil to the resurrection of judgment."

You really had me in the first paragraph. I thought you finally understood why synergism doesn't work...but then the second paragraph jumps right back to why works are important.

Because here's the reality...with this mindset you're always left wondering, "did I do enough?" It can be works, prayers, donating, etc, etc. You're not a slave to God anymore, you're a slave to your works and whether you've done enough with the talents to earn something.

That seems much less like the "free gift of god" and more like the chains of satan to me...
Zobel
AG
Shrug. If at this point you still think I'm pointing to any quantitative thing ("enough") you aren't getting it. Works are important because they are the fruit of who we are. Ontological. It's not as if it is me saying we will be judged by our works, after all.
AgLiving06
Zobel said:

Shrug. If at this point you still think I'm pointing to any quantitative thing ("enough") you aren't getting it. Works are important because they are the fruit of who we are. Ontological. It's not as if it is me saying we will be judged by our works, after all.

A bit of this is "turnabout is fair play" because you do the exact same thing on other threads. Something to keep in mind...

The majority of it is that this is why synergism does not make sense to me. It appears to confuse the role of Law and Gospel to the point they overlap. It takes a work of the Law and tries to apply Gospel to it as well. Yes our fruits are important, because the Law commands it. But as Jesus pointed out, a fruit tree is going to produce fruit regardless, the question is whether the fruit is good or bad. So the real question is not about the fruit, but about the health of the tree and no fruit can heal the tree. That only comes through hearing the Gospel and the free gift that is offered. Only that heals the tree and that's not something you or I can participate in.
Zobel
AG
It have no idea what your first paragraph means.

And your last paragraph *still* doesn't address the point. How is the tree judged? Is it by the fruit or not? What will we be judged by, according to the scriptures?
AgLiving06
First paragraph is straight forward. Probably more concerning you don't know...

--------------------

Last paragraph absolutely addressed the point. You must not have liked what I said though and I'm ok with that.

You continue to want the fruit to be the cause of salvation or the cause of judgement. Nobody looks at the fruit of a tree and claims that this is the cause of the tree being good or bad.

Likewise, the tree does not decide whether to produce good fruits or not. It doesn't have a choice. It simple does as it was created to do (Ephesians 2).

Certainly the fruits play a role, something that nobody has denied. They play the role of the visible representation of the health of the tree. If a tree does not produce fruits, we would call that a dead tree (James 2).

So then the final question, is whether the tree can cause itself to produce good fruit? Can it will itself to be healthy on it's own? The answer is no. It can only receive the light from the sun. It can only be nourished by the good soil it is in. This is not a one time thing either though. It requires constant attention to make sure that the tree remains healthy and so there needs to be a farmer who maintains the tree, so that if bad fruit starts to come, those branches can be pruned to keep the good fruit coming.

So yes, I addressed your point. The fruit is important because it is the outward sign of the health of the tree, not because the fruit in itself is important. The tree could do nothing else besides produce it.

Zobel
AG
So you don't believe in free will? "Tree has no choice"?
Pierow
AG
Zobel said:

I agree with Sproul, as do most Baptists:

"I will begin in verse 9 of chapter 9:

For this is the word of promise: "At this time I will come and Sarah shall have a son." And not only this, but there was Rebecca also, when she had conceived twins by one man, our father Isaac (for though the twins were not yet born and had not done anything good or bad, in order that God's purpose according to His choice might stand, not because of works, but because of Him who calls) it was said to her, "The older will serve the younger." Just as it is written, "Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated." (Rom. 9:913)

Here, when Paul seeks to illustrate his understanding of divine election, he uses an example of two men for purposes of illustration. It's significant that the two he chooses are brothers, and not only brothers, but twin brothers. That is, they have the same family, the same background, and the same geographical locationeverything that could possibly be the same is the same. They are, in fact, "womb-mates." (Thank you, I get a little punchy after we study predestination for this long.)

In his consideration of these two men, Paul labors the point that one is preferred over the other before either is born. That statement, "before they were born," raises the question of God's foreknowledge.

The most popular view of predestination that rejects the Augustinian view is what we call the foreknowledge view of election. Its basic thesis is this: predestination simply means that God, from all eternity, looks down through time, knows in advance what people will do, and then chooses people on the basis of that foreknowledge.

We notice that chapter nine of Romans speaks sharply to this question. We read, "For though the twins were not yet born and had not done anything good or bad" (Rom. 9:11). Let's just look at that phrase.

Paul does not say that God had not known what they were going to do, nor that He had known what they were going to do. He simply declares that the twins hadn't been born yet, and they hadn't done anything. So, all the text explicitly teaches is that God's choice of Jacob over Esau was made before they were born.

Awkward Silence

The foreknowledge view would agree that God's predestinating choice is done at the foundation of the earth before anybody is born. Everybody agrees that predestination is accomplished in the mind of God before people are born. But the foreknowledge view says that, though God makes the choice before people are born, He makes it in light of what He knows they will do after they are born.

We have silence in this passage with respect to that question specifically, but if ever in biblical content there was an awkward silence, here it is.

What I'm getting at is this: if the Apostle had any desire to make clear that the electing, predestinating actions of God are done with a view to the future actions of man, this would have been the place to say it. In other words, if the biblical view is the foreknowledge view, namely that God always chooses in light of His knowledge of future decisions, then why doesn't the Bible ever say that? It never says it. And if it ever had the opportunity to say it, here it is.

Not only does Paul not say this, but he also takes the time to say that the choice was made before they were born and before they had done any good or evil. We have to ask the question: Why does he include that? If his purpose was to communicate a foreknowledge view of election, the addition of these words would certainly confuse the people of God, wouldn't it?

God's Purpose Will Stand

Let's go on further: "Though the twins were not yet born and had not done anything good or bad." What is Paul's concern here? "In order that God's purpose according to His choice might stand" (Rom. 9:11).

The emphasis in the passage is on God's purpose. Paul is saying that the reason the decision is made before they're born, before they've done anything good or evil, is so that God's purpose will stand.

Do you see that the flavor of this passage is totally opposed to the concept of a foreknowledge view of predestination? What other reason could we give for the Apostle's emphasizing this fact that they had not done any good or evil?

Not only had they not done it in space and time, but by implication, they had not done it even in the mind of God. That is, from God's perspective, there is no good or evil taken into consideration. The reason the Apostle gives for having said it this way is "that the purpose of God might stand according to His choice, not because of works, but because of Him who calls."

The foreknowledge view says that God looks down into the future and sees that some people will make the correct choice and others will make the incorrect choice. This view suffers from basing election upon a good work: believing.

"This is the work of God, to believe in the one whom He has sent" (John 6:29). In one sense of considering the biblical concept of good works, the supreme good work is to place one's trust in Jesus Christ. But Paul is saying that God's purpose of election is clearly not because of human works, but because of Him who calls.

The bottom line is that the Arminian view, which has various styles, shapes, and forms, makes the final decision for our salvation rest upon a human choice, not upon a divine action. I think Paul is annihilating that position here as strongly as he possibly could by emphasizing that it is not because of works, but because of the One who calls. The accent and the credit for your redemption is to be given to Godto God alone is the glory."
AgLiving06
Zobel said:

Not when it comes to salvation. There's nothing we can do to will our salvation. All we can do is resist.

Salvation is only through and because of God's grace.
Zobel
AG
Is resistance not a choice?
Zobel
AG
Anyone who reads that verse and misses that "Jacob have I loved, Esau have I hated" is a reference to the nations of Israel and Edom - and not the two individual men - should more or less not be listened to on this passage. It's a huge miss.

Esau the man wasn't hated by God. Esau received a portion of the inheritance promised to Abraham, even though he gave up being the heir for a bowl of soup. Indicating a lack of faith - he had no trust in the promise. Jacob and Esau reconcile. Yet even with his lack of faith, God made of him a nation - Edom - and the Edomites were not conquered by Israel coming into the promised land, but told they were their brothers, and they weren't to take a single inch of their land, and they could trade with them. Only later will Edom be under judgment for how they treated Judah when Judah was under attack and in exile. Of course, St Paul knows all this, so he isn't talking about whether or not God foreordained for the person Jacob to be "saved" and the person Esau to be "condemned" because God loved one and hated the other. Because Romans 9 is not about that - it is talking about Israel and the Gentiles, and how they fit into our God's plan to save the world and all mankind.

Romans is not a treatise on the topic of salvation. Those existed in the ancient world, people wrote them all the time. Pagans and philosophers and Christians alike. Romans is not "On Salvation" or "On Election". It is an epistle, and it needs to be read as an epistle. The main topic is to a church struggling to stay as one church versus being split between a Jewish church and a gentile church. I wrote an overview a while back in this thread. An overview like plus the idea that when St Paul interprets scripture he does so correctly must always be in the back of our minds when reading epistles, to guard from the errors in exegesis due to selective proof texting or removing things from context.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Quote:

The bottom line is that the Arminian view, which has various styles, shapes, and forms, makes the final decision for our salvation rest upon a human choice, not upon a divine action.
I just have to say that I hate this perspective. Regarding the elect:

God: creates existence, creates man, goes to great lengths to teach men right and wrong, sends His son to be human and die by torture so he can be resurrected, offers the same resurrection to men

Man: constantly attempts to do God's will, always fails to some degree, asks forgiveness and a chance to do better

God: Acts as the ultimate judge at the end of the age, determines the man's pitiful attempts at righteousness are acceptable, and raises him to eternal life

Calvinists: see! Man made the final decision regarding his own salvation.

I wish Texags had a facepalm emoji

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
AgLiving06
Where did I say we doing have a choice?

But can you choose something you don't know exists?
Pierow
AG
ramblin_ag02 said:

Quote:

The bottom line is that the Arminian view, which has various styles, shapes, and forms, makes the final decision for our salvation rest upon a human choice, not upon a divine action.
I just have to say that I hate this perspective. Regarding the elect:

God: creates existence, creates man, goes to great lengths to teach men right and wrong, sends His son to be human and die by torture so he can be resurrected, offers the same resurrection to men

Man: constantly attempts to do God's will, always fails to some degree, asks forgiveness and a chance to do better

God: Acts as the ultimate judge at the end of the age, determines the man's pitiful attempts at righteousness are acceptable, and raises him to eternal life

Calvinists: see! Man made the final decision regarding his own salvation.

I wish Texags had a facepalm emoji

That was a Calvinist trying to explain an Armenian view. That is not what Calvinists believe at all. I really don't know what you're trying to say. Arminianism and Calvinism are opposed. I am a Calvinist who believes in predestination. Man plays no part in deciding his salvation. It is a calling of God.
Zobel
AG
You said - "Likewise, the tree does not decide whether to produce good fruits or not. It doesn't have a choice. It simple does as it was created to do."

Are you full on predestination no free will?
Zobel
AG
Limited atonement? Gods creates some men destined for condemnation from the get-go? Gross.
ramblin_ag02
AG
My intention was to present the standard free will view and the typical Calvinist response to it. As far as Calvinism is concerned, giving humans any more free will than the average potato means we are "the ultimate arbiters of our eternal disposition". My short description of free will salvation was meant to show how ridiculous that is
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Pierow
AG
Zobel said:

Limited atonement? Gods creates some men destined for condemnation from the get-go? Gross.

No, what is Gross is thinking that you are good enough in any way, shape, or form to have anything to do with your own salvation, other than bringing your filthy, wretched sin to the equation. It isn't our choice, it's God's.

"What shall we say then? Is there injustice on God's part? By no means! For he says to Moses, "I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion." So then it depends not on human will or exertion, but on God, who has mercy. For the Scripture says to Pharaoh, "For this very purpose I have raised you up, that I might show my power in you, and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth." So then he has mercy on whomever he wills, and he hardens whomever he wills. You will say to me then, "Why does he still find fault? For who can resist his will?" But who are you, O man, to answer back to God? Will what is molded say to its molder, "Why have you made me like this?" Has the potter no right over the clay, to make out of the same lump one vessel for honorable use and another for dishonorable use? What if God, desiring to show his wrath and to make known his power, has endured with much patience vessels of wrath prepared for destruction, in order to make known the riches of his glory for vessels of mercy, which he has prepared beforehand for glory"
Romans 9:14-23

Pretty plain. He makes some of us for wrath, and some of us for glory. You just like to think that you play a part in that. You don't.
AgLiving06
Zobel said:

You said - "Likewise, the tree does not decide whether to produce good fruits or not. It doesn't have a choice. It simple does as it was created to do."

Are you full on predestination no free will?

Was paul "full on predestination" when he said:

Ephesians:
"10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them."

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.