Jon Stewart Proving Why He's the Best in the Business Again

13,242 Views | 144 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by double aught
johncAG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I don't think its the far left that's mad at Stewart today for going after Biden. Progressives have been done with Biden for years. It's the #Resistence liberals who post Trump bad memes. Very "more female drone pilots" crowd.

I can't believe in the time Jon Stewart left, each party has become so protective of two candidates that would have been laughed off the stage 40 years ago.
BowSowy
AG
Capybara said:

This is the issue. Look at how easy it is for the puppet masters to get people to argue about individuals, foregoing any real interest in improving material conditions for those in the lower classes, improving our rapidly declining public education, ensuring every person has clean water to drink, clean clothes to wear, and so on.

But why ever expect this stuff to improve? How many teachers do you know who have dipped out of the profession in the past five years or so? Rightly complaining about unruly kids, low pay, and so on. Things that won't get better, because of both ops by intelligence (introducing crack into poor black communities for instance) and yes, some amount of personal failings by these kids' parents. Not to mention how the entertainment and social media sphere fundamentally alters people's desires and actions to an extent we've never seen.

Partisan politics are a dead end. Just a spectacle. Things for middle class people to complain about. To maintain and maybe even improve their place. Which is understandable, but still, it's all so fake and gay.
K.
TCTTS
AG
johncAG said:

I don't think its the far left that's mad at Stewart today for going after Biden. Progressives have been done with Biden for years. It's the #Resistence liberals who post Trump bad memes. Very "more female drone pilots" crowd.

I can't believe in the time Jon Stewart left, each party has become so protective of two candidates that would have been laughed off the stage 40 years ago.

I see the far left and resistance liberals as one and the same, but perhaps there should be more of a distinction there.
BenTheGoodAg
AG
I think in general, we lump too many people into groups way too often. It's ok to have an original thought that doesn't align with a political party.
ElephantRider
AG
SNL goes after Biden quite a bit.
TCTTS
AG
BenTheGoodAg said:

I think in general, we lump too many people into groups way too often. It's ok to have an original thought that doesn't align with a political party.

This has been the main issue over the past eight years.

Social media reaching its apex form (for worse) + Trump winning the presidency = a line forged in the sand like we'd never seen before.

Whatever one thinks about his policies/accomplishments, Trump was/is such a vile, detestable person - especially to those on the left - that to be seen on social media, or in life in general, as endorsing/excusing him in any way obviously made for a hyper sensitive, hyper partisan political climate. Which, for the left, suddenly meant not being able to critique/joke about their own team in any way, or risk appearing as endorsing Trump and everything he represented. Which was amplified via social media and had the potential to result in ostracism/cancellation from their peers. Throw in MeToo, Covid, and BLM - all while Trump was president - and it was the perfect, once-in-a-century storm that caused each side to dig in on their respective ideologies to unprecedented extremes, often resulting in performative insanity.

All that said, in the wake of Covid, and all the misinformation we've learned there, along with Biden's age/increasingly-impossible-to-ignore issues, I've noticed the fever finally start to break on the left here in the last six months or so. The sentiment of course remains that Trump is a dangerous POS, but I'm at least finally starting to see the left, both on the news and where I live (among friends, colleagues, etc), realize that their sh*t stinks too. I even see it on CNN now, and have noticed more digs at Biden on things like SNL as well.

All of this is to say that I think Stewart is the perfect voice (entertainment-wise) to try and get us through the next eight months, one who can at least bring us together in our attempts to grapple with the fact that BOTH sides/candidates suck. I don't know what happens in November, as four more years of Biden feels like further fiscal decay, while four more years of Trump feels like further moral decay (and will instantly erase any progress the left makes between now and then in diagnosing its own problems). I just keep hoping that somehow, someway, in the next eight months a third road miraculously presents itself.
TCTTS
AG
ElephantRider said:

SNL goes after Biden quite a bit.

You beat me to it. I've definitely noticed the same.
Prosperdick
AG
wangus12 said:

Know Your Enemy said:

Capstone said:

It seems from the comments in the X post that there are many liberals that are not pleased he poked any fun at Biden.

And that's the #1 problem with Democrats. They have a complete inability to realize that Biden needs to be put out to pasture and replace him on the ballot with someone who isn't going senile. They feel like votes are owed to Biden simply because he's not Trump. Both of those guys are horrible candidates and should not be the nominee for their party. Meanwhile I have no viable candidate to vote for.
The fact we we've gone 8 years between the 2 of them and still decided that we'll just roll out the same options again tells you a lot about how dumb this country is, or rather how dumb or political parties are
It's actually worse than that if these two remain the only choices for 2024...it will mean this country will have a TWELVE YEAR period where our only choices were Hillary, Trump, or Biden. Greatest country on the planet and those are our choices for twelve f***ing years...unbelievable.
20ag07
It's hilarious that Apple canceled Jon Stewart.

Like they clearly couldn't handle this.

But they shouldn't really be in the business of trying to buy this if they can't handle it.

I don't really think he can keep this up all season, but he did come out guns blazing in the best way.
Tailgate88
AG
Nm
The Porkchop Express
Please staff wipe this ****ty mess up and get back to jon Stewart

[The OP asked to have the posts that were removed to be activated. -Staff]
The Porkchop Express
The thread is about Jon Stewart returning to the Daily Show. Trump vs. Biden and Left v. Right has its entire playground 3 doors down.
jokershady
AG
Always loved Jon Stewart. I don't agree with his politics but he's always been funny and also comes across as a guy you could genuinely agree to disagree with and still shake hands when done having a conversation.

Also his speech about 9/11 firefighters dealing with post 9/11 health issues and getting taken care of is something everyone needs to watch
wildcat08
AG
Gigem314 said:

barbacoa taco said:

and listening to people seethe about him poking fun at Biden last night... have these clowns ever watched his show before? do they think the current president is off limits or something?
They probably do, because that's the example that's been set for them over the past 3 years. None of the traditional comedy shows touch Biden despite endless amounts of material. It's...awkward...the elephant in the room. You would think Trump has been President all this time when you tune into one of the late night comedy shows. Strangest thing I've ever seen in entertainment. It's like they just pretend Biden and Harris don't exist - when there are just as many clips of them saying awkward things as there were back when Jon Stewart would react to under GWB.

I feel fortunate to have grown up in a time when comedy was truly funny and poked at everyone. Carvey as Bush 41, Carvey as Perot, Hartman/Hammond as Clinton, Hammond as Gore (he also did a fantastic Trump). Weekend Update with Norm, Nealon, and Spade. Farley as Gingrich. It wasn't mean spirited, it was meant to be silly and get everyone laughing at ourselves. That's a lost art. Now it's more being done to try and convince others of a particular point of view.

Here's to hoping others can break through the corporate noise.
Those would be fun, but I would like to see Johnny Carson riffing on Trump and Biden. He poked fun at anyone who needed it.
Sea Speed
AG
In the posted clip, while Stewart did hit Biden, he definitely hit trump harder. I'm.not complaining and understand Jon def has his biases, but there is A LOT more to rip on Biden about. Literally every time he opens his mouth. I mean, just this single clip could get miles of use because it is so bad and hilarious. I wish comedy took the MJ approach of Republicans buy Sneakers Too

https://www.c-span.org/video/?c5010667/user-clip-biden-describes-america-word
Funky Winkerbean
AG
Quote:

So, you defend Trump, which means you are clearly a right-wing, Nazi sympathizer.

Bwaaaaahaahaaa
ElephantRider
AG

nevermind
Gigem314
AG
jokershady said:

Always loved Jon Stewart. I don't agree with his politics but he's always been funny and also comes across as a guy you could genuinely agree to disagree with and still shake hands when done having a conversation.
Yeah it was obvious where he stood politically, and that of course colored the content of his show - but it certainly appealed to his core audience.

That being said, he could always make me laugh about something. His facial expressions and reactions were unmatched - no one could pull that off like he could. He could take a single clip that might have been somewhat funny and make it 100x better based on his reaction. I still love the one where he continually spits out his drink in reaction to the UN putting China and Cuba on the Human Rights council.

Political comedy aside, I would love to just see him react to a bunch of random Tik-Tok clips of young weirdos. That would be a great modern segment for his new show.
El Gallo Blanco
AustinAg2K said:

El Gallo Blanco said:

Capstone said:

It seems from the comments in the X post that there are many liberals that are not pleased he poked any fun at Biden.
So many of them have been conditioned to view Trump as the ultimate evil beast. Half Hitler, half Satan. If you criticize Joe Biden, it must mean you are a Trump worshiper, and thus, equally as evil.

In reality, Trump is who he has always been. Rich, brash, flashy, crude, in your face. That's why I laugh at the rappers who used to worship him, and then despised him as soon as the media etc began to trash him. But he has won a ton of them back.

Want to make it clear that I am not a Trump guy...I just think he's mischaracterized as a monster.
So, you defend Trump, which means you are clearly a right-wing, Nazi sympathizer... Yet you say you are not a Trump guy, which makes you left-wing, Commie nut job. You sound like you might be the most deranged person on the planet.
Where I did this?

Saying he's not the absolute monster many on the left has made him out to be is not defending him.
barbacoa taco
AG
Making fun of presidents has been a thing since political comedy has hit the airwaves. SNL has done it for decades, and the Daily Show has done it relentlessly since it first aired in the 90s. Not sure why ANYONE would think this time should be any different.

Stewart is going to be on the air for all of 2024 and he's going to continue going hard at Biden and Trump. If anyone can't handle that then don't watch it.
TCTTS
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

The thread is about Jon Stewart returning to the Daily Show. Trump vs. Biden and Left v. Right has its entire playground 3 doors down.

This seems like an arbitrary line to draw, as what Stewart is discussing in the clip is literally Trump vs Biden. So we can talk about Stewart but can't talk about what Stewart is talking about? Even though my two posts that got deleted both talked about Stewart as he related to Trump vs Biden? I'm genuinely confused.
Sea Speed
AG
As the creator of the thread can I ask staff to not delete anything and say that I have zero problem with any discussion that has taken place
Gigem314
AG
barbacoa taco said:

Making fun of presidents has been a thing since political comedy has hit the airwaves. SNL has done it for decades, and the Daily Show has done it relentlessly since it first aired in the 90s. Not sure why ANYONE would think this time should be any different.

Stewart is going to be on the air for all of 2024 and he's going to continue going hard at Biden and Trump. If anyone can't handle that then don't watch it.
But the fact that people are reacting so harshly to Stewart not even digging in that hard on Biden shows that there's been a considerable absence of presidential comedy these past 3 years despite endless material. It's been extremely tame - so when someone goes there it really sticks out.

I agree, people that can't handle it shouldn't watch it - I probably disagree with Stewart at least half the time but I still found a lot of his jokes pretty funny back when he was clowning the GWB years.

It's a more polarized time now, and that's impacted comedy. Just look at what happened to Jimmy Fallon. He had a great impression of Trump - a lot like Darryl Hammond's Clinton. He loved to mock Trump's hair and his 'Yuge' language. Then he played with Trump's hair trying to have some fun and people lost their minds over it - and his content made a considerable shift after that. He was just trying to have some fun and bitter people ruined it.

It's a different landscape now.
Apache
AG
Quote:

I would like to see Johnny Carson riffing on Trump and Biden. He poked fun at anyone who needed it.

Carson didn't do politics because he knew it divided his audience. Comedians, Actors, Writers, Musicians, Directors, Athletes & of course Jim Fowler were his standards. This is why everyone loved the guy (with the exception of his ex-wives)

The only time I ever remember him making a political joke was something about Ronald Reagan getting tired of being cooped up in the hospital after he was shot. Carson quipped that Reagan went missing one day & they found him several hours later clearing brush around the hospital.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Same for Conan.
DallasTeleAg
Conan leans into silly, and doesn't take himself seriously, which makes it funny when he does occasionally step into politics. This is the exact opposite of all the woke, unfunny, leftists I see on late night and elsewhere, these days. Their humor comes off as vindictive, angry, and purely hateful. Just isn't funny to me.

I remember seeing bits like these from Conan, and laughing my ass off:

MW03
AG
At some point in Trump's term, a huge parcel of the media/entertainment at large decided they had a moral obligation to save America from itself. That ego told them they were important enough that they had to do it. It was a whole "great power comes great responsibility" Spider-Man thing.

The funny thing is that the court jesters among us forget their place. The comedians, the actors, the athletes, they all conflated entertainment with importance, and what's worse, intelligence.

That's what sunk the Daily Show and Trevor Noah. They took themselves way too seriously compared to being funny. The message became more important than the joke.

I'm not commenting on the message, by the way. In many ways, I thought the message was important. However, it got in the way of what it was supposed to be. Funny gave way to preachy, and there's plenty of places to go for sermons besides Comedy Central.

Jon Stewart understands that if you have a point to make, wrap it in a slice of American cheese like a pill you have to feed the dog. He's far better at this than maybe anyone in my lifetime.
TCTTS
AG
Very well said.
TCTTS
AG
Thankfully, I'm seeing fewer and fewer of the Joanna-type tweets and more and more of the Gianmarco variety. There was a loud, petulant minority (that also included bitter dumb dumbs like Keith Olbermann), but now the adults are responding with truth and sanity...

PatAg
AG
TCTTS said:

Thankfully, I'm seeing fewer and fewer of the Joanna-type tweets and more and more of the Gianmarco variety. There was a loud, petulant minority (that also included bitter dumb dumbs like Keith Olbermann), but now the adults are responding with truth and sanity...

I tend to go with "twitter opinions arent real/twitter people arent real" take , and mostly just use it for sports info and for the occassional bit of humor that some comedians still put out there on it.
But her twitter bio is so funny to me, and not intentionally.
It says "one of Cameron Crowe's Uncool", which we all know the reference right.
Great movie, was a great scene in the movie too..but I think having that as your twitter bio would disqualify you from being an actual journalist.
Its just so ****ing lame, not 'uncool'. Just dull and unimaginative, like something you would put on MySpace when you were a kid
Proposition Joe
PatAg said:

TCTTS said:

I tend to go with "twitter opinions arent real/twitter people arent real" take

I wish more people would take this approach. So much time is spent by so many people tilting at windmills.
bluefire579
AG
PatAg said:

TCTTS said:

I tend to go with "twitter opinions arent real/twitter people arent real" take , and mostly just use it for sports info and for the occassional bit of humor that some comedians still put out there on it.
Great movie, was a great scene in the movie too..but I think having that as your twitter bio would disqualify you from being an actual journalist.
Its just so ****ing lame, not 'uncool'. Just dull and unimaginative, like something you would put on MySpace when you were a kid
Same reason why I tend to ignore reaction "news" articles. It's usually like 5 tweets from random people somehow made into a headline that people take at face value
Gigem314
AG
MW03 said:

At some point in Trump's term, a huge parcel of the media/entertainment at large decided they had a moral obligation to save America from itself. That ego told them they were important enough that they had to do it. It was a whole "great power comes great responsibility" Spider-Man thing.

The funny thing is that the court jesters among us forget their place. The comedians, the actors, the athletes, they all conflated entertainment with importance, and what's worse, intelligence.

That's what sunk the Daily Show and Trevor Noah. They took themselves way too seriously compared to being funny. The message became more important than the joke.

I'm not commenting on the message, by the way. In many ways, I thought the message was important. However, it got in the way of what it was supposed to be. Funny gave way to preachy, and there's plenty of places to go for sermons besides Comedy Central.

Jon Stewart understands that if you have a point to make, wrap it in a slice of American cheese like a pill you have to feed the dog. He's far better at this than maybe anyone in my lifetime.
Spot on.

Comedy was meant to be silly and not be the "authority" telling others what to think. Somewhere along the way, it went from being the Animal House frat guys pulling pranks on everyone...to becoming Dean Wormer.

Here's to bringing back the silly/stupid that many of us 90's kids were raised on.
Sea Speed
AG
bluefire579 said:

PatAg said:

TCTTS said:

Same reason why I tend to ignore reaction "news" articles. It's usually like 5 tweets from random people somehow made into a headline that people take at face value

Journalism today is basically scraping Twitter for inflammatory posts and then linking them with one or two lines about why people are posting that on Twitter. It is absolutely pathetic.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

Please staff wipe this ****ty mess up and get back to jon Stewart

[The OP asked to have the posts that were removed to be activated. -Staff]

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.