Jon Stewart Proving Why He's the Best in the Business Again

13,257 Views | 144 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by double aught
Sea Speed
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Absolutely hilarious. Welcome back.

El Gallo Blanco
That was pretty good. Many comedians miss the mark by over-villainizing Trump and making him out to be way more of a monster or bogeyman than he actually is imo, to the point it's laughable and they come across as out of touch loons. There is so much great comedic material to use to clown on Trump...he's a walking gold mine. But when the audience can sense actual raw hatred, the comedy is ruined for a lot of ppl.

If he can clown on Trump, or any other GOP'er, without going overboard with the over-the-top divisive gaslighting bogeyman nonsense (SNL and others have never been able to do this...they hate Trump and think he is Hitler) I think he will be able to capture a much larger audience.
Apache
AG
Jon Stewart went after Biden back in his days as VP & it was glorious.
Capybara
Probably not a great thing that politics is entirely within the larger entertainment bubble, with him/his old show playing no small part. I mean whatever though. It's been bad for at least 35+ years, as Joan Didion wrote about in 1988.
The Porkchop Express
$20 says he gets Colbert to bust out his old right wing superhero before the end of the year.
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
DallasTeleAg
Someone explain this to me. I was told for the last 9 years or so that I was just racist, xenophobic or a neo-con because I did not think Tevor Noah was funny... at all.

I watched that short clip of Jon Stewart and laughed out loud several times.

I disagree with Stewart on probably the majority of his opinions, but the man has legendary comedic timing.
The Porkchop Express
What a comeback. I haven't watched the Daily Show once since he left. Monday is must-see TV now.
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
boy09
AG
barbacoa taco
AG
great to have Jon back. the show wasn't the same without him. I don't blame Trevor Noah, he just didn't have that same touch Jon Stewart had. it's too bad considering the MOUNTAINS of material Trump would have had throughout the Trump years then the first half of the Biden presidency.

and listening to people seethe about him poking fun at Biden last night... have these clowns ever watched his show before? do they think the current president is off limits or something?
TXAG 05
AG
El Gallo Blanco said:

That was pretty good. Many comedians miss the mark by over-villainizing Trump and making him out to be way more of a monster or bogeyman than he actually is imo, to the point it's laughable and they come across as out of touch loons. There is so much great comedic material to use to clown on Trump...he's a walking gold mine. But when the audience can sense actual raw hatred, the comedy is ruined for a lot of ppl.

If he can clown on Trump, or any other GOP'er, without going overboard with the over-the-top divisive gaslighting bogeyman nonsense (SNL and others have never been able to do this...they hate Trump and think he is Hitler) I think he will be able to capture a much larger audience.

On SNL, Alec Baldwin's impression was full of hate, which made it horribly unfunny. James Austin Johnson's is the opposite and is really good and actually funny.
Faustus
Thanks for posting the clip Sea Speed.
Capstone
AG
It seems from the comments in the X post that there are many liberals that are not pleased he poked any fun at Biden.
El Gallo Blanco
Capstone said:

It seems from the comments in the X post that there are many liberals that are not pleased he poked any fun at Biden.
So many of them have been conditioned to view Trump as the ultimate evil beast. Half Hitler, half Satan. If you criticize Joe Biden, it must mean you are a Trump worshiper, and thus, equally as evil.

In reality, Trump is who he has always been. Rich, brash, flashy, crude, in your face. That's why I laugh at the rappers who used to worship him, and then despised him as soon as the media etc began to trash him. But he has won a ton of them back.

Want to make it clear that I am not a Trump guy...I just think he's mischaracterized as a monster.
AustinAg2K
DallasTeleAg said:

Someone explain this to me. I was told for the last 9 years or so that I was just racist, xenophobic or a neo-con because I did not think Tevor Noah was funny... at all.

I watched that short clip of Jon Stewart and laughed out loud several times.

I disagree with Stewart on probably the majority of his opinions, but the man has legendary comedic timing.
Trevor Noah is very funny... Just not on the Daily Show. I think his standup is great, and his autobiography is one of the funniest and thoughtful things I've ever read. I'll never forget the story about him DJing for Hitler at the local Jewish school. He did not translate well to the Daily Show, though.
AustinAg2K
El Gallo Blanco said:

Capstone said:

So many of them have been conditioned to view Trump as the ultimate evil beast. Half Hitler, half Satan. If you criticize Joe Biden, it must mean you are a Trump worshiper, and thus, equally as evil.

In reality, Trump is who he has always been. Rich, brash, flashy, crude, in your face. That's why I laugh at the rappers who used to worship him, and then despised him as soon as the media etc began to trash him. But he has won a ton of them back.

Want to make it clear that I am not a Trump guy...I just think he's mischaracterized as a monster.
So, you defend Trump, which means you are clearly a right-wing, Nazi sympathizer... Yet you say you are not a Trump guy, which makes you left-wing, Commie nut job. You sound like you might be the most deranged person on the planet.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Capstone said:

And that's the #1 problem with Democrats. They have a complete inability to realize that Biden needs to be put out to pasture and replace him on the ballot with someone who isn't going senile. They feel like votes are owed to Biden simply because he's not Trump. Both of those guys are horrible candidates and should not be the nominee for their party. Meanwhile I have no viable candidate to vote for.
wangus12
AG
Know Your Enemy said:

Capstone said:

And that's the #1 problem with Democrats. They have a complete inability to realize that Biden needs to be put out to pasture and replace him on the ballot with someone who isn't going senile. They feel like votes are owed to Biden simply because he's not Trump. Both of those guys are horrible candidates and should not be the nominee for their party. Meanwhile I have no viable candidate to vote for.
The fact we we've gone 8 years between the 2 of them and still decided that we'll just roll out the same options again tells you a lot about how dumb this country is, or rather how dumb or political parties are
Sea Speed
AG
Know Your Enemy said:

Capstone said:

The fact that those 2 mopes are the options in a country of 330 million is absolutely pathetically absurd. Im so sick of trump and Biden is a brain dead mongoloid and has been for as long as I can remember, except now he has dementia.
maroon barchetta
Not kidding at all, I wrote in my next door neighbor for President one year.

This year i will write in Ron Swanson.
Capybara
Honestly why care so much about presidential elections at this point? Looking towards the future, you'll either get plainly corrupt people (Newsom et al.) or dorks/strivers (Vivek, Mayor Pete, DeSantis, etc.).

I mean there's always been an entertainment aspect to it, but with rare exceptions, the more charismatic candidate who better understands media wins (or their team, whatever). Feels silly to identify with any of these people.

I know it matters because of which judges are selected and so on, but whatever, cynicism seems appropriate when looking at broad movements/structures now and going forward. Like I know too that many just want to believe in something, but this…come on.

Idk, maybe I'm just done with anything mainstream that has to do with pop culture/news, now that it's all so plainly manufactured/refined. Certainly doesn't help that tech companies are basically in control of the entire media apparatus at this point. Just so disgusting to think about, not to be too melodramatic or whatever.

Sea Speed
AG
Because their agendas get shoved down the throats through the bureaucracy and EOs. Look what Biden has done to oil and gas, which a TON of people on this website depend on, as an example.
ElephantRider
AG
Know Your Enemy said:

Capstone said:

The same can be said for Republicans who have a complete inability to realize it's time to put Trump out to pasture. Both are garbage candidates who don't belong anywhere near public office
Capybara
Okay, then vote for a Republican. Which you already probably do. Just feels weird to identify with any of these people or argue about it/them online. Or in person, but who wants to do that?

Way too much available information at this point. A deluge of disparate words, images, videos, sounds. Makes most of the internet boring at best. Makes tons of people anhedonic or just blas.
The Porkchop Express
We have entered year 5 of real life giant ****** VS turd sandwich
Sea Speed
AG
Capybara said:

Okay, then vote for a Republican. Which you already probably do. Just feels weird to identify with any of these people or argue about it/them online. Or in person, but who wants to do that?

Way too much available information at this point. A deluge of disparate words, images, videos, sounds. Makes most of the internet boring at best. Makes tons of people anhedonic or just blas.

You asked why people should care about who they vote for president and I told you one reason. Not sure what your diatribe is all about.
TCTTS
AG
Know Your Enemy said:

Capstone said:

As someone who lives in one of the most liberal cities in the world, most every left-leaning person I know is far more in line Jon Stewart/Bill Maher than any of these extremely online far left wackos in the comments. I don't know any Democrat who doesn't think Biden needs to be put out to pasture, and wasn't under the assumption that he would be a one term president/bridge. Both sides are stuck with senile geriatrics, held hostage by their respective extremist followers.
Capybara
No, I asked why care so much about the elections as spectacle. As entertainment, which is now all this is, even though there are real effects, as you've said.

I get why people were into Trump. He's a performer, a comedian basically. And our broader culture began to plummet as soon as he rose, mostly because people (mostly those with disposable income) dove head first into the media fakery that was becoming more potent as it shifted entirely into social media (secondarily tv). But I do appreciate how he alone made many realize how weak institutional media always has been.

But now he's not so funny. And Biden is decrepit. And all of the younger candidates now and in the future are either boring or dorks, if not both. I guess this is what happens when STEM dominates and changes tastes, temperaments, personalities. Someone like Vivek is seen as compelling. Not to mention Elon, who has the personality of an annoying 12 year old. Such a joke. But this is the future.

Final thing, I don't expect much to change. I mean lots of people of all stripes were into the Tucker/Putin interview, even though the former was unprepared/uninformed, which Putin probably always knew. Easy win for him, not that it matters much. And I don't blame anyone for being into Tucker btw. He's entertaining for many, which is all that really matters anymore.
TCTTS
AG
Sea Speed said:

Capybara said:

You asked why people should care about who they vote for president and I told you one reason. Not sure what your diatribe is all about.

This is what Capybara does. Whether it's movies or politics, his schtick is constantly commenting on the commentary, letting the rest of us know just how juvenile our tastes are and how pointless our discourse is. It's as if someone has a gun to his head, forcing him to read and comment on these threads against his will, when, in reality, he can leave at anytime. I once compared it to showing up to Whataburger expecting a five-course meal, then sticking around to complain about it to the very people clearly enjoying their burgers, onion rings, and shakes.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
The senate, Supreme Court, and presidential candidates are all geriatric. Those branches of our political system are designed, in many ways, to reward tenure over merit.

There's a minimum age for these offices. There should be a maximum age, too. We need a youth movement in American politics
Thanks and gig'em
BenTheGoodAg
AG
Capybara said:

I guess this is what happens when STEM dominates and changes tastes, temperaments, personalities.
LOLWUT. Those damned engineers are to blame for the downfall of society.
maroon barchetta
Aggie_Journalist said:

The senate, Supreme Court, and presidential candidates are all geriatric. Those branches of our political system are designed, in many ways, to reward tenure over merit.

There's a minimum age for these offices. There should be a maximum age, too. We need a youth movement in American politics

As someone who is on a campus full of youth every day, many of whom were Top 10% or had amazing SAT scores, trust me, we don't need to go too young. So many of them may be book smart, but they are brain dead. Zero common sense.

Many of them can't change a tire because "daddy said call road hazard service".

Plus, Vice President McKay'Leigh and President Aiden won't be able to get off their phones long enough to negotiate with other world leaders.

When they learn to cross the street and when they get a little humility, then they can run for office. Until then, keep worrying about getting "likes" on social media.
Gigem314
AG
barbacoa taco said:

and listening to people seethe about him poking fun at Biden last night... have these clowns ever watched his show before? do they think the current president is off limits or something?
They probably do, because that's the example that's been set for them over the past 3 years. None of the traditional comedy shows touch Biden despite endless amounts of material. It's...awkward...the elephant in the room. You would think Trump has been President all this time when you tune into one of the late night comedy shows. Strangest thing I've ever seen in entertainment. It's like they just pretend Biden and Harris don't exist - when there are just as many clips of them saying awkward things as there were back when Jon Stewart would react to under GWB.

I feel fortunate to have grown up in a time when comedy was truly funny and poked at everyone. Carvey as Bush 41, Carvey as Perot, Hartman/Hammond as Clinton, Hammond as Gore (he also did a fantastic Trump). Weekend Update with Norm, Nealon, and Spade. Farley as Gingrich. It wasn't mean spirited, it was meant to be silly and get everyone laughing at ourselves. That's a lost art. Now it's more being done to try and convince others of a particular point of view.

Here's to hoping others can break through the corporate noise.
maroon barchetta
Biden literally called out for a dead representative at a press conference. And a few months later ended a speech on gun control with "God save the queen", even though she had died a couple months earlier.

He has no idea what the hell is going on.

Bill Burr, who is a professed liberal, crapped all over Biden at his show in College Station last year and talked about how people know he's a dementia patient.

But they haven't gone after Biden at all. Zero.

Ron Swanson needs to be a real person.
Gigem314
AG
It's strange. Almost like there's this sensitivity to making fun of Biden because it's so blatantly obvious he has health and personal/family issues. Like a corporate entity circling the wagons and instructing people to not make criticizing comments about the company.

I mean, Jon Stewart is far from an impartial comedian. He pulled plenty of punches even at his peak, because he had a particular audience that watched his show. But comedy's been so bad the past few years, that even he looks impartial in comparison for bothering to address it.

Comedy used to be entertainment that could bring Americans together because everyone could get a laugh about something. Now it's being used as a political football so much of the time. It takes the fun out of it.
Capybara
This is the issue. Look at how easy it is for the puppet masters to get people to argue about individuals, foregoing any real interest in improving material conditions for those in the lower classes, improving our rapidly declining public education, ensuring every person has clean water to drink, clean clothes to wear, and so on.

But why ever expect this stuff to improve? How many teachers do you know who have dipped out of the profession in the past five years or so? Rightly complaining about unruly kids, low pay, and so on. Things that won't get better, because of both ops by intelligence (introducing crack into poor black communities for instance) and yes, some amount of personal failings by these kids' parents. Not to mention how the entertainment and social media sphere fundamentally alters people's desires and actions to an extent we've never seen.

Partisan politics are a dead end. Just a spectacle. Things for middle class people to complain about. To maintain and maybe even improve their place. Which is understandable, but still, it's all so fake and gay.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.