Jon Stewart Proving Why He's the Best in the Business Again

13,260 Views | 144 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by double aught
Aggie_Journalist
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Try picking up a newspaper. Lots of great local reporting happening out there. Communities that lose their newspapers see more corruption, more wasted government money, worse outcomes for residents when the watchdogs are gone.
Thanks and gig'em
superunknown
AG
I liked the part where he ate the popcorn
The Porkchop Express
100%.
TV reporters think a story is reading random Twitter comments on live TV.
YouBet
AG
Aggie_Journalist said:

Try picking up a newspaper. Lots of great local reporting happening out there. Communities that lose their newspapers see more corruption, more wasted government money, worse outcomes for residents when the watchdogs are gone.

Maybe at the local level. Many community papers are now just reprinting AP for national news. And, as you should know, we don't have much in the way of watchdogs papers at the national level anymore.

It's largely Democrat propaganda for the left, a few examples of shock jock news on the right, and then the WSJ that is arguably the most down the middle.

To be fair, we've always had papers that picked a political side from an editorial standpoint. It's just now most papers do that in their reporting as well.
The Porkchop Express
Are you sure about that? Membership to the AP for the purpose of running their copy is expensive. Most local papers are on shoestring budgets at this stage in the game.
YouBet
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

Are you sure about that? Membership to the AP for the purpose of running their copy is expensive. Most local papers are on shoestring budgets at this stage in the game.

Yes, several local papers I've looked at in recent years simply ran AP by lines for national stories. I have no idea what the actual breakdown across the US is for doing this but I've seen it first hand and it's pretty common knowledge. I'm sure some have just stopped running national stories, period, if paying for it got too expensive.
The Porkchop Express
Interesting. Maybe I'm just out of touch.
BenTheGoodAg
AG

Please staff wipe this ****ty mess up and get back to jon Stewart

[The OP asked to have the posts that were removed to be activated. -Staff]

Wow! Well played Sea Speed
TCTTS
AG
I've literally never seen this in all my time on TexAgs.

Props to Sea Speed.

Props to staff.
The Porkchop Express
RIP Tucker Carlson

TCTTS
AG
I didn't realize just how much I missed Stewart's seething hatred for Carlson, and more specifically, how good he is at speaking truth to Carlson's bullsh*t, in the most hilarious fashion. It's legit cathartic to have this back.

That said, I'm as equally glad Stewart doubled down on his Biden criticisms as well, mocking all the crazies on the left who went after him last week.

Overall, after two episodes, he hasn't missed a beat, not even in the slightest, which is pretty amazing to see. It's like he never left, yet he simultaneously makes the hole in his absence the past nine years that much more glaring.
javajaws
AG
TCTTS said:

I didn't realize just how much I missed Stewart's seething hatred for Carlson, and more specifically, how good he is at speaking truth to Carlson's bullsh*t, in the most hilarious fashion. It's legit cathartic to have this back.

That said, I'm as equally glad Stewart doubled down on his Biden criticisms as well, mocking all the crazies on the left who went after him last week.

Overall, after two episodes, he hasn't missed a beat, not even in the slightest, which is pretty amazing to see. It's like he never left, yet he simultaneously makes the hole in absence the past nine years that much more glaring.
Well, he turns his dislike of Carlson from humor to visceral hatred...at which point he really isn't funny any more but disturbingly preachy and cultish. No surprise though that someone on the left finds that appealing and humorous. I do think Stewart has skill in delivering a biting monologue, but he just can't get out of his way sometimes. He needs to learn when to stop and move on instead of digging in and making it personal. Otherwise his timing and humorous mannerisms are outstanding.
dreyOO
That's a great way of articulating it. Not making it feel personal. That's something the master (Chappelle) does so well while he clowns everybody.
jeffk
AG
Well, I guess I must be a flaming leftist too because I thought he displayed appropriate and funny(!) levels of disdain for Putin-loving Tucker Carlson.
The Porkchop Express
Not sure how else you should treat a person who agrees with Putin that Poland started WW II by antagonizing the Nazis.
Claude!

Not sure how else you should treat a person who agrees with Putin that Poland started WW II by antagonizing the Nazis.
Warsaw clearly shouldn't have been wearing that short skirt.
Independence H-D
maroon barchetta said:

Not kidding at all, I wrote in my next door neighbor for President one year.

This year i will write in Ron Swanson.

Ron Swanson is great. Just not Nick Offerman.
The Porkchop Express
Claude! said:

Warsaw clearly shouldn't have been wearing that short skirt.
That was some of the best humor I've heard from WWII since my home nation of Greece told Angela Merkel that once Germany paid back the loan (with interest) that Greece was forced to give Germany during WWII in addition to reparations., Greece would be out of debt. They only asked for $339 billion.
El Gallo Blanco
jeffk said:

Well, I guess I must be a flaming leftist too because I thought he displayed appropriate and funny(!) levels of disdain for Putin-loving Tucker Carlson.
Tucker Carlson doesn't like Putin, he has said as much. Yall realize Putin has been interviewed by many journalists over the years right? And they didn't go in there with guns ablazing. Hell, CNN interviewed Osama Bin Laden...AFTER he attacked us the first time around. Journalists have interviewed evil sacks of sh** like Saddam Hussein and Xi Jinpeng as well...cordially...not coming in barking and making pissy faces.

I don't like Putin either, but my main take away was how far he is ahead of just about any US Politician, in terms of cognitive ability and knowledge. We are a bunch of clowns in comparison. I guess to work your way from KGB to where he is now, you have to be pretty damn sharp. It's a pretty fascinating interview...and Putin is 100% dead on when he exposes how our intelligence agencies are basically running our country.

Also funny/interesting that he clearly prefers Biden as President over Trump.
The Porkchop Express
El Gallo Blanco said:

Also funny/interesting that he clearly prefers Biden as President over Trump.
He wants the bigger of 2 idiots in charge. he's gotten his wish 2 elections in a row.
Red Dane
I think it would be curious to pull a guy like Stewart away from his audience bubble laughing on command at the routine "righty bad" skits. I recall seeing a Big Bang Theory without the laugh track and it was pretty brutal. I imagine it would make him seem a lot more fanatical, dishonest, and cringe worthy rather than the way some apparently see him as humorous.
PatAg
AG
javajaws said:

TCTTS said:

Overall, after two episodes, he hasn't missed a beat, not even in the slightest, which is pretty amazing to see. It's like he never left, yet he simultaneously makes the hole in absence the past nine years that much more glaring.
Well, he turns his dislike of Carlson from humor to visceral hatred...at which point he really isn't funny any more but disturbingly preachy and cultish. No surprise though that someone on the left finds that appealing and humorous. I do think Stewart has skill in delivering a biting monologue, but he just can't get out of his way sometimes. He needs to learn when to stop and move on instead of digging in and making it personal. Otherwise his timing and humorous mannerisms are outstanding.
He's a comedian, not a journalist or a news show.
Thats actually something he originally destroyed Carlson over back during the original run of his show.

It was hilarious (comedy is subjective)
PatAg
AG
Some people on this thread are lost
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Red Dane said:

I think it would be curious to pull a guy like Stewart away from his audience bubble laughing on command at the routine "righty bad" skits. I recall seeing a Big Bang Theory without the laugh track and it was pretty brutal. I imagine it would make him seem a lot more fanatical, dishonest, and cringe worthy rather than the way some apparently see him as humorous.

Did you watch the video? The first 5 minutes were talking about how his show was excoriated online by people on the left because he had the audacity to criticize both sides of the aisle.

I think Jon Stewart did a good job in this recent video highlighting the difference between simply interviewing a leader that is opposed to the US, and excusing absurdities so that you can continue criticizing one side of the aisle in US politics.

Tucker is free to interview whomever he wants. But when you start being a simp for a literal dictator, you should get called out for that.
TCTTS
MASAXET
AG
Definitely Not A Cop said:

Red Dane said:

Did you watch the video? The first 5 minutes were talking about how his show was excoriated online by people on the left because he had the audacity to criticize both sides of the aisle.

I think Jon Stewart did a good job in this recent video highlighting the difference between simply interviewing a leader that is opposed to the US, and excusing absurdities so that you can continue criticizing one side of the aisle in US politics.

Tucker is free to interview whomever he wants. But when you start being a simp for a literal dictator, you should get called out for that.
What do you mean? It's not like Tucker admitted that something as dumb as, like, a grocery store, has actually radicalized him against America's leaders.

. . . .

. . . .

Oh.

Well.

Never mind, then.
DallasTeleAg
I don't mind him going after Tucker for some of that cringy stuff, but it's fairly tone deaf to accuse Tucker of similar things he did himself, during COVID.

Also, there are several Americans having to deal with prison sentences over simply being in DC during the Jan 6th riots. So to say we don't have those same issues in the US is absolutely tone deaf. I honestly don't think our establishment politicians in the US are any better than Putin, and to say that we somehow hold some moral high ground just tells me he refuses to really tear apart his side of the aisle. This is where people like Rogan and other true liberals are actually able to see some of the ridiculousness of the left and call it out while Stewart will only go skin deep on the left.

Making fun of Joe Biden is not that courageous. It is simply taking an easy shot at something comedians should have been doing for years.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Do you have a clip in mind from COVID?

The only thing I remember from Jon Stewart back then was this clip mocking anyone promoting the bat theory, but he absolutely could have changed his position between then and the initial outbreak.

TCTTS
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

I don't mind him going after Tucker for some of that cringy stuff, but it's fairly tone deaf to accuse Tucker of similar things he did himself, during COVID.

Also, there are several Americans having to deal with prison sentences over simply being in DC during the Jan 6th riots. So to say we don't have those same issues in the US is absolutely tone deaf. I honestly don't think our establishment politicians in the US are any better than Putin, and to say that we somehow hold some moral high ground just tells me he refuses to really tear apart his side of the aisle. This is where people like Rogan and other true liberals are actually able to see some of the ridiculousness of the left and call it out while Stewart will only go skin deep on the left.

Making fun of Joe Biden is not that courageous. It is simply taking an easy shot at something comedians should have been doing for years.

This would imply you either believe that a number of our politicians consistently have people murdered who disagree with them/threaten their power - or - you think said murder is somehow comparable to locking people up who participate in insurrections. I'm confused which one it is, though either option is equally wild.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
I really don't want to get involved in this argument.

That being said, in regards to people who threaten politicians power; Jeffrey Epstein didn't kill himself.
TCTTS
AG
We're in agreement there!
El Gallo Blanco
TCTTS said:

DallasTeleAg said:

This would imply you either believe that a number of our politicians consistently have people murdered who disagree with them/threaten their power - or - you think said murder is somehow comparable to locking people up who participate in insurrections. I'm confused which one it is, though either option is equally wild.
They may not have people murdered, aside from Epstein type cases that threaten to expose some of the most powerful/elite...but our government really shouldn't be throwing stones imo. I realize this FACT will be uncomfortable for some here, but our weaponized intelligence agencies literally colluded with the private sector (tech and media) to rig/influence the last election. This cannot be denied by anyone with a straight face unless they are just clueless and want to say "nuh-uh".

That "OMG RUSSIA COLLUUUUSION!" stuff Trump was falsely accused of, but Jon Stewart and the vast majority of the left likely believed? Yeah, that is what the FBI and many members of the intel community actually carried our by colluding with huge tech companies and pressuring them to suppress information that could be very damaging to their preferred candidate.

51 current and former intelligence officers signed off on the Hunter Biden laptop stuff being "Russian disinformation" LOL. Zuckerberg has admitted to being pressured to suppress and censor this stuff. media companies wouldn't touch it. We are talking INSANELY WILD SH**....just a fraction of this type of behavior and they would have been all over any of the Trump kids.
maroon barchetta

That being said, in regards to people who threaten politicians power; Jeffrey Epstein didn't kill himself.

Now do Vince Foster
Who had a bunch of Whitewater documents in his car
And drove himself to a park and committed suicide
Without his car keys. They were never found.

But yeah. It's totally only corrupt leaders of other countries who kill people that threaten their position.

Nobody on the left would ever do such a thing.

That's what I'm always calling out. It's not the poster. It's their hypocrisy.
The Porkchop Express
TCTTS said:

TCTTS
AG
maroon barchetta said:

Now do Vince Foster
Who had a bunch of Whitewater documents in his car
And drove himself to a park and committed suicide
Without his car keys. They were never found.

But yeah. It's totally only corrupt leaders of other countries who kill people that threaten their position.

Nobody on the left would ever do such a thing.

That's what I'm always calling out. It's not the poster. It's their hypocrisy.

Notice I very specifically said "consistently." Of course there have been examples of murder - on both sides - within our own system. But not to the level, consistency, and insecurity of Putin. Not anywhere close.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.