BARBIE vs OPPENHEIMER

26,419 Views | 307 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by TCTTS
Bunk Moreland
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Would $70M be the biggest Nolan opening weekend outside of TDK and TDKR, or was Interstellar/Inception bigger?

Edit...looks like Interstellar was right at $50MM, Inception at $62MM, and Dunkirk $50MM
Cliff.Booth
I expect word of mouth to have opposite effects on Barbie and Oppenheimer.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
TCTTS said:

I'm not sure why this would be a surprise to anyone. Barbie has a huge built-in audience. Whereas prior to Nolan's new movie, most folks don't recall hearing the name Oppenheimer at any time during any history classes.

https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/3388152
#FJB
Philo B 93
Well, you can add another $12 to Indiana Jones, because I'll be seeing it for a 2nd time instead of Barb or Op.

TCTTS
AG
Again, no one's comparing the box office of the two movies to each other. Everyone expected Barbie to dominate Oppenheimer. The shock is coming from how high BOTH are tracking. Oppenheimer wasn't expected to do anywhere close to $68M, especially considering Nolan's past opening weekends, mentioned by Spilner above. And the fact that Barbie is now in upper-tier Marvel territory is just insane. One of the top tracking companies said its pre-sales have even outpaced Doctor Strange 2 and could end up around $180M. They've never seen a movie in their 20+ years of tracking skyrocket like this, and more than triple its tracking projections in however many weeks.

In other words, add in M:I7's second weekend, along with the business Sound of Freedom is doing, and this weekend is going to be absolutely bonkers for theaters.
Bruce Almighty
AG
My wife didn't care at all about Barbie a month ago. Now, she's seeing it opening night with a big group of her girl friends. I imagine there's going to be a lot of "girls night out" this weekend.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

My wife didn't care at all about Barbie a month ago. Now, she's seeing it opening night with a big group of her girl friends. I imagine there's going to be a lot of "girls night out" this weekend.
Yep. My daughter is going this evening when she gets back from Galveston. Undecided at this point if my wife is joining her. So glad my daughter is 17 and I don't have to take her to movies like this any more.
#FJB
Bunk Moreland
Bruce Almighty said:

+1. Girlfriend is going to a "barbie party" Sunday...movie then drinks after.
Velvet Jones
AG
What are we going to do about the problematic issue of Margot Robbie allegedly having Conservative views?

It's clear she can't be trusted anymore.
JCA1
AG
I bought Mattel stock in the hopes that this movie prompts a massive Barbie renaissance and Christmas. Here's hoping these numbers are right.
oragator
They have 45 film adaptations for their toys in development,

https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/article/barbie-mattel-cinematic-universe-films
TCTTS
AG
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
https://instagr.am/p/Cu2_lA5Ns7i
Sea Speed
AG
Where would I go to find how appropriate barbie would be for children of younger ages? My kids have never really been interested in things skewed towards adults and I generally subscribe to the keep them innocent as long as possible plan, but as the only male in a family of 5, im getting it from all sides about the kids seeing barbie.
TCTTS
AG
Having not yet seen it for myself, all I can tell you in that regard is that it's rated PG-13. Not PG. That, and the comparisons I keep seeing are things like Austin Powers and The Brady Bunch (the movie not the show). So it seems to be more of a "tween" and up movie, not necessarily a movie for young kids.
agdoc2001
AG
You can check "common sense media". They say 11+
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG

Sea Speed
AG
Yea if it is being compared to Austin powers that's a hard no. Thanks.

Also I saw in that other thread that the company that would release filtered versions of movies for families was sued and became the company that releases SOF. that is kind of a bummer i feel like I could have really used those filtered movies now that my kids are getting older but not old enough to see everything.
Sea Speed
AG
agdoc2001 said:

You can check "common sense media". They say 11+

Thanks I knew there was a site like this. I appreciate it.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Common sense media is very conservative with their ages. For example, the last Transformers movie has 12+. If it says 11, it's probably good for 8 year olds.
InternetFan02
AG
Seeing Oppenheimer late tonight with my teenage sons and then they are seeing Barbie with large friend groups tomorrow with costumes and stuff. Marketing for Barbie aimed at Gen Z teens has been a huge success and they believe they will be the ones owning the momentum like the Minions craze last year.
TCTTS
AG
Sea Speed said:

Yea if it is being compared to Austin powers that's a hard no. Thanks.

Also I saw in that other thread that the company that would release filtered versions of movies for families was sued and became the company that releases SOF. that is kind of a bummer i feel like I could have really used those filtered movies now that my kids are getting older but not old enough to see everything.

For the record, I'm only referring to the tone. I have no idea if there are actual sex jokes and things like that, like the kind you'd find in Austin Powers. I seriously doubt this movie is that overt, though.
Sea Speed
AG
I understood what was meant. No worries.
Sea Speed
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

Common sense media is very conservative with their ages. For example, the last Transformers movie has 12+. If it says 11, it's probably good for 8 year olds.

I'm hyper conservative with my kids. Again, I think children should remain innocent as long as possible, because once that childlike innocence is gone, it isn't ever coming back. This goes doubly for sweet little girls like mine who 2 days ago was saying that the recipe we made together for a dessert was extra good because it was made with so much love. I dont want that youthful sweet innocence to disappear and imo the world will rip it away. I'm not saying barbie specifically would ruin my child's innocence, but the less they are exposed to the better.

YNWA_AG
AG
InternetFan02 said:

Seeing Oppenheimer late tonight with my teenage sons and then they are seeing Barbie with large friend groups tomorrow with costumes and stuff. Marketing for Barbie aimed at Gen Z teens has been a huge success and they believe they will be the ones owning the momentum like the Minions craze last year.

The sex scenes are pretty heavy in Oppenheimer fyi
Claude!
YNWA_AG said:

InternetFan02 said:

The sex scenes are pretty heavy in Oppenheimer fyi

Does Cillian Murphy wear a fat suit?
TCTTS
AG
HollywoodBQ
AG
TCTTS said:

Yeah, what's the deal with that.

My daughter said that everybody recited the words along with Nicole Kidman when she went to see Barbie at the AMC16 in Burbank.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
It's a meme.
Chipotlemonger
AG
That doesn't really give much context.
Bunk Moreland

AMC released this commercial before their movies a year or 2 ago. It got made fun of online, spoofed on SNL, etc.

So the tweet is just saying that before the movie someone stood up and recited the speech as she was doing it.
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Barbie 89% audience.

Oppenheimer 94%.

Nolan wins.
BadMoonRisin
AG
Man, I remember having to go theater-to-theater to get tickets for Jurassic Park THE NEXT DAY only to see every single time in the box office with a SOLD OUT sticker covering it.

Those were the days. You had to call the theater normally to see if things were sold out, but back in those days the phone lines were always busy, for DAYS, so you had to go in person.

Congo, same thing. Independence Day (ID-4).

No idea why I have these 3 burned into my mind, but man summer blockbusters used to be a cultural phenomenon.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.