BARBIE vs OPPENHEIMER

26,411 Views | 307 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by TCTTS
Gangnam Style
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
lmao NY Post with the only overly negative review thus far.
Bunk Moreland
Gangnam Style said:

lmao NY Post with the only overly negative review thus far.

And you could read into that both ways too. I did read that review and some of the points they brought up made me cringe if the scenes in the movie are anywhere close to the depiction
TCTTS
AG
YNWA_AG
AG
Looks like it will finish In the 80s. Seeing it tomorrow night
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
Dimebag Darrell
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
BadMoonRisin
AG
TCTTS said:

I dont know anything about movies and what not but isnt the TAM for Barbie much higher than Oppehneimer, being PG-13 v. rated R?

Or is this a big deal comparatively that Barbie is fighting above its weight class?
Chipotlemonger
AG
Yes to market. Big deal? Not sure, time will tell.
TCTTS
AG
BadMoonRisin said:

TCTTS said:

I dont know anything about movies and what not but isnt the TAM for Barbie much higher than Oppehneimer, being PG-13 v. rated R?

Or is this a big deal comparatively that Barbie is fighting above its weight class?

It's not the comparison that's the news. No one expected these movies to compete, box-office-wise. Yeah, it's that no one expected Barbie to be this big.
TCTTS
AG
No one except for me, of course.
Bunk Moreland
Lol everyone expected barbie to be huge from a box office standpoint. Massive stars, the Barbie brand and a year long marketing campaign. It could literally be a dog **** movie of all movies and every woman in America will cheer for feminism and many others who may want to critique it will default to "well it was still super fun and visually stimulating."

Im going next week and expect to be entertained but this has one of the most baked in guarantees on financial return of any movie in recent memory
TCTTS
AG
Ha, I will not stand for this rewriting of history. Last summer, on multiple occasions, I predicted that Barbie would be one of the top three movies this summer, box-office-wise, and I got endless sh*t for it. In a summer featuring GOTG3, Fast X, Little Mermaid, Spider-Verse, Flash, Indy 5, M:I7, and Oppenheimer, the vast majority of people here absolutely rolled their eyes at the prospect, hardly anyone knew who was making/starting in it, hardly anyone knew what tone to expect, or that it was going to be a big, irreverent comedy also aimed at adults, etc. Most people just assumed it was going to be some kids movie aimed at little girls. The idea that "everyone" expected it to be a hit is a straight up fabrication.
TCTTS
AG
Also, the first teaser trailer didn't even drop until Christmas, with Avatar.
Bunk Moreland
TCTTS said:

Ha, I will not stand for this rewriting of history. Last summer, on multiple occasions, I predicted that Barbie would be one of the top three movies this summer, box-office-wise, and I got endless sh*t for it. In a summer featuring GOTG3, Fast X, Little Mermaid, Spider-Verse, Flash, Indy 5, M:I7, and Oppenheimer, the vast majority of people here absolutely rolled their eyes at the prospect, hardly anyone knew who was making/starting in it, hardly anyone knew what tone to expect, or that it was going to be a big, irreverent comedy also aimed at adults, etc. Most people just assumed it was going to be some kids movie aimed at little girls. The idea that "everyone" expected it to be a hit is a straight up fabrication.

I realize you predicted it but every female I know has been stoked about this movie the moment the stills came out from production. It's the biggest doll brand in the world that had a solid director and star studded cast. Too loaded to fail even if the actual product doesn't end up being great. Now the level of its success may outdo early predictions but it always had a high floor.
FL_Ag1998
AG
Ok everyone, I need some help. I've read multiple articles stating there are only 19 theaters in the U.S. showing Oppenheimer in the preferred 70mm IMAX format. They all only list one such theater in FL, and its down in Ft. Lauderdale.

Yet I'm seeing an AMC theater here in Tampa listing a 70 mm IMAX showing of it.

What am I not understanding here?
Bunk Moreland
Do they have a 70mm non imax showing?
TCTTS
AG
This is of course anecdotal, but I'm not seeing a single AMC in all of Los Angeles County that is playing the movie in 70mm IMAX. It requires a special projector that either always shows movies in 70mm IMAX, or one has to be installed, and most AMCs, in my experience, do neither. Even the Chinese Theater here had to install a massive 70mm IMAX projector just for this movie, that's literally taking up seats, and I just can't see AMC doing the same. That said, I wouldn't rule it out, in some special circumstance, I'm just saying if there're not doing it in LA I seriously doubt they're doing it Florida.
TCTTS
AG
I did see one non-IMAX 70mm showing listed at an AMC around here, so maybe that's what it could be.
FL_Ag1998
AG
So ya'll are saying maybe its a non-IMAX 70mm version showing on an IMAX screen?

If that's the case what a ****ing bait and switch scam.
FL_Ag1998
AG
The official IMAX site is only listing the FT. Lauderdale theater as showing the official IMAX 70mm version, so I'm trusting that.

Sigh
TCTTS
AG
I would definitely trust the official IMAX site over any others.
Bunk Moreland
FL_Ag1998 said:

So ya'll are saying maybe its a non-IMAX 70mm version showing on an IMAX screen?

If that's the case what a ****ing bait and switch scam.

Yes I think they have standard 70mm showings.

My preference would be...

70mm imax
Digital imax
Standard 70mm
Standard

But I would see it in standard 70mm no matter what at some point.
Chipotlemonger
AG
TCTTS said:

Hey I was with you too! Maybe I didn't post enough on it, but I blue starred many of your posts on this topic.
HollywoodBQ
AG
TCTTS said:

I did see one non-IMAX 70mm showing listed at an AMC around here, so maybe that's what it could be.
That's what I've got tickets for on Thursday night in Burbank.

The Burbank AMC16 and Universal CityWalk both had 70mm IMAX but they were sold out. So 70mm regular screen it is.
TCTTS
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

TCTTS said:

Hey I was with you too! Maybe I didn't post enough on it, but I blue starred many of your posts on this topic.

BadMoonRisin
AG
damn i kind of want to see both of these movies. And I haven't been eager to go to the theaters to see anything in almost a decade.
cone
AG
this tweet made me sad
Cliff.Booth
Based on reviews it looks like this will be a love it or hate it movie. Apparently the opening act is mostly lighthearted fun but the 2nd and 3rd acts are preaching about the patriarchy relentlessly. Some people will probably attend this expecting a feminist lecture, but a lot of less informed people are probably going expecting something like Lego Movie but with Barbies.
javajaws
AG
What does a Palm Pilot have to do with Oppenheimer? Pretty cool article about IMAX:

https://www.theverge.com/23801118/imax-movie-palm-pilot-oppenheimer
TCTTS
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.