BARBIE vs OPPENHEIMER

26,382 Views | 307 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by TCTTS
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Quote:

Basically it was something to the extent of your post reads like a wannabe Hollywood insider who thinks his words are more important than everyone else's.

It was pretty bizarre to read that from your post. Probably some deep-seeded resentment and hatred there I gather.

It's just comical at this point how obsessed/deranged some of these guys are with their hatred toward me. I don't know what else to do but laugh at this point. I mean, the Barbie vs. Oppenheimer thing has been all over the internet the past week/weekend, and I simply thought it'd be fun to call attention to it here, since the memes are good and it's a somewhat funny situation. It was also a way of calling attention to the Barbie movie itself without posting a straight up Barbie thread in a forum made up mostly of middle-aged dudes. I guess there *is* one tiny little "insider" thing I mentioned about WB spiting Nolan with the release date, but if I'm aware of that fact, why not mention it, if it adds to the story? Otherwise, for the life of me, I can't image what about my post suggests that I think my words are more important than anyone else's? Either way, what kind of loser gets so annoyed/aggrieved by something like this, enough to call me names and post about it? Just goes to show, no matter what I post, some assh*le always has to find fault with it, even in an innocuous thread about a freaking Barbie movie. It really is so f-ing bizarre.
The Porkchop Express
TCTTS said:

Whatever I Am A Critic said, I'm sure it's nothing that hasn't been said to me at least a dozen times before. Except the others at least stand by their words and don't cowardly delete them without some kind explanation.
He also doubted you could hold your breath for 7 minutes.
TCTTS
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
You : Barbie :: Me : Avatar 2

Nobody else gives a ****, but damn it if we didn't try.
TCTTS
AG
Ha, ironically, I'll actually be rooting for Oppenheimer more that weekend, because I want dramas made for adults to do well, especially ones made by Christopher Nolen. That said, I also want to see another Mario-type situation, where a clever, winking, well-made "brand" movie like Barbie catches on fire at the box office (though at this point there's no way it catches Mario). That, and a friend of mine is working on Barbie, in a pretty big behind-the-scenes role, so I want to see it do well for her sake too.

Whatever happens, all I know is that, come July 21st, we all win.
Capybara
It's going to be something more for adults than kids, and assuming you go see it, you'll find that most of the audience (especially since you're in LA) will be gay guys and women/teen girls. Maybe we'll see each other without knowing lol. I've been confident it's going to be good since a few stills/videos emerged last summer.
PatAg
AG
It may just be the concept of a Barbie movie seems dumb to me, or the promotional material not really telling us anything about the movie, or seeing a lot of media types say it will be great without knowing anything about the movie, Barbie just has all the makings of a flop to me.
I'll still be seeing it opening week, of course just in case it's great.

I also have a little bit of concern about Oppenheimer, even though I have personally loved every movie Nolan has made. The concept of this movie doesn't really seem to translate directly to the kind of story he has told, but he has so many great actors in it and he himself is a great storyteller that it just has to be good.
jeffk
AG
Yeah, Barbie just doesn't resonate for me at all. Oppenheimer *might* get me to the theater, but probably not opening weekend.
Capybara
We should all be extremely disappointed if a project involving Greta, Noah Baumbach, and Rodrigo Prieto flops.

The promotional material should tell you very little about any film imo. Way too many people put too much stock into trailers. If anything, the movie poster should be more than enough, but I understand that's not our reality today.
TCTTS
AG
PatAg
AG
Capybara said:

We should all be extremely disappointed if a project involving Greta, Noah Baumbach, and Rodrigo Prieto flops.

The promotional material should tell you very little about any film imo. Way too many people put too much stock into trailers. If anything, the movie poster should be more than enough, but I understand that's not our reality today.

I will be pleasantly surprised if Barbie is good, but I expect it to be well made either way. If that makes sense
GrayMatter
AG
Kinda makes me wonder how it will all turn out since it is being pegged as a boys vs girls kind of contest.

I'm not sure about the quadrants you're talking about but if Barbie was rated PG, it would have brought in a whole lot of people. However, Oppenheimer being rated R, also excludes a lot of people.

It will be interesting for sure.
Faustus
TCTTS said:

That would be pretty bad form if Gosling went in as Ken and stole the show in Barbie's flick.
TCTTS
AG
Barbie already selling out all over the place. It's going to be hilarious when it has a higher opening weekend than The Flash (both WB movies)…

Capybara
The girls + gays demographic doesn't mess around (when it comes to movies).
InternetFan02
AG
I can report that Gen Z seems to be all in on Barbie and my moron teenage sons expect it to take off like Minions last summer. Saw my local suburban theater having a costume party promotion. I chalk this up as great marketing as to me it looks more like what I would expect from a greta gerwig / Noah baumbach indie movie.
TCTTS
AG
Your sons are smart and know what they're talking about.
GoAgs92
AG
No interest in either of these yet. Will wait for word of mouth.
TCTTS
AG
It must suck not to be able to look forward to quality filmmaking or fun.
BowSowy
AG
Last Podcast on the Left is doing a good series on Oppenheimer and the atomic race, if anyone is interested.
GoAgs92
AG
TCTTS said:

It must suck not to be able to look forward to quality filmmaking or fun
I looked forward greatly to Spiderverse…Barbie looks stupid but could end up surprisingly good (first Brady bunch movie pulled it off so who knows), the other is a topic I am already very familiar with, but Nolan's movies being usually great, I may check it out.

I suppose I could look forward to every movie that comes out and be let down by most of them, or I could wait for peoples opinions I trust and see the cream of the crop.

TCTTS
AG
I hear you, just giving you a hard time.
TCTTS
AG
Personally, for me, this might be my most anticipated week+ stretch of movies ever?

- 7/15 - MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE - DEAD RECKONING PART ONE - TLC Chinese Theater IMAX
- 7/22 - OPPENHEIMER - TLC Chinese Theater IMAX
- 7/23 - BARBIE - AMC Westfield Century City 16

Eight tickets for each showing. Seeing all three with a few of the same friends + others who can only make one or two. Best seats in the house for each showing. All of them either preceded or proceeded by dinner with the same groups of friends, who are all just as stoked as I am.

Haven't had a big group outing to the theater since Top Gun: Maverick, now we get three in a row and I absolutely cannot wait.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
GoAgs92
AG
TCTTS said:

Personally, for me, this might be my most anticipated week+ stretch of movies ever?

- 7/15 - MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE - DEAD RECKONING PART ONE - TLC Chinese Theater IMAX

Eight tickets for each showing. Seeing all three with a few of the same friends + others who can only make one or two. Best seats in the house for each showing. All of them either preceded or proceeded by dinner with the same groups of friends, who are all just as stoked as I am.

Haven't had a big group outing to the theater since Top Gun: Maverick, now we get three in a row and I absolutely cannot wait.
Where do you consider the best seats in the house, does it vary by whichever theater you're going to?
Faustus
It depends on the flick too.

For example, for Schindler's List you want to sit in the very back so no one will spot you making out with your date.
TCTTS
AG
GoAgs92 said:

TCTTS said:

Where do you consider the best seats in the house, does it vary by whichever theater you're going to?

I wouldn't say they're the best in the house, but for most stadium theaters I choose about halfway up on the isle. I'm not a middle-of-the-theater guy. Especially if seeing a movie solo I like to minimize the amount of people I have to sit directly next to.

But for the Chinese, hands down, it's the orange highlighted seats below. Front row, on the railing, of the upper middle section (it's one continuous slope, not a balcony). But still on the isle, especially since I know a couple of the women we're going with like the isle for easy bathroom access. I somehow managed to get those seats for both M:I and Oppenheimer, as that row is always the first to go...

TCTTS
AG
Faustus said:

It depends on the flick too.

For example, for Schindler's List you want to sit in the very back so no one will spot you making out with your date.
GoAgs92
AG
Big theater.
jackie childs
i'm almost dreading oppenheimer. i have absolutely no doubt that it will be visually stunning with great performances. but it seems like one that's going to leave you absolutely exhausted and feeling uneasy. which is similar to how i felt after 1917. i didn't regret seeing it and was actually glad i saw it on the big screen, but i had zero desire to experience it a second time.
TCTTS
AG
We're doing Oppenheimer Saturday night, Barbie Sunday afternoon. Because of scheduling issues we couldn't do both on the same day. That said, if we could, I'd do Barbie > early dinner > Oppenheimer > drinks. Oppenheimer not only feels like more of a "night" movie to me, but I'm looking forward to it more, so I'd want to see it last.

What's everyone else doing?

PatAg
AG
I think if you see both movies in the same day, the 2nd movie is not getting a fair shake. Oppenheimer definitely feels like a 'see at night' movie to me.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Watching Oppenheimer and not watching Barbie, like a normal well-adjusted adult male.
TCTTS
AG
A) I'm supporting my friend, who's been charge of the entire marketing campaign and can't wait to show it to us.

B) It's from two of my favorite filmmakers of the last decade+.

C) It stars Margot Robbie, who should rev the engine of any "normal, well-adjusted male."

D) Good movies are good movies, subject matter be damned.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.