BARBIE vs OPPENHEIMER

26,398 Views | 307 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by TCTTS
Sea Speed
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
To be fair, you don't know if D is applicable yet.
Saxsoon
AG
TCTTS said:

A) I'm supporting my friend, who's been charge of the entire marketing campaign and can't wait to show it to us.

B) It's from two of my favorite filmmakers of the last decade+.

C) It stars Margot Robbie, who should rev the engine of any "normal, well-adjusted male."

D) Good movies are good movies, subject matter be damned.

Frankly it's gay if you don't go see Barbie as a well adjusted male.
Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2012
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Just giving you a hard time, as the "adults that go to theme parks are all weird" guy.
TXAG 05
AG
jackie childs said:

i'm almost dreading oppenheimer. i have absolutely no doubt that it will be visually stunning with great performances. but it seems like one that's going to leave you absolutely exhausted and feeling uneasy. which is similar to how i felt after 1917. i didn't regret seeing it and was actually glad i saw it on the big screen, but i had zero desire to experience it a second time.

I'm with you. No doubt that Oppenheimer is going to be great, but it just seems like it could be a beat down of a movie, where Barbie looks like it is going to be a lot of fun.
TCTTS
AG
Aries
I have been skeptical of The Barbie movie. But after seeing a few previews, I think Gosling is going make it freaking hilarious (especially to this 80s girl who loved Barbies). & Then to add on Will Farrell too....could be a good time.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
jeffk
AG
Definitely Not A Cop
AG

TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
BenFiasco14
AG
Fianc and I are seriously considering making a day of this. Early Oppenheimer showing out in time for a late lunch or brunch, maybe decompress with some shopping, then go see Barbie in the same day
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Saw the trailer for Barbie in front of The Flash, which was the first I'd seen it. Looks entertaining enough. My 17-year-old daughter is definitely going to see it - without me. I might watch it at some point on Max.

Edit - already have tickets for the wife and me for Oppenheimer on opening weekend.
#FJB
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
This is what I'm thinking, while I see Oppenheimer opening closer to $50M…

veryfuller
Staff
AG
I think A LOT is going to happen between now and then. Also, I'd say reviews are going to matter for those numbers as well. If either of them don't rate fresh, then the bet is off as far as how much they can get on opening weekend.

Barbie has already kicked off its press tour, so its definitely more top of mind to general audiences. BUT...some of the things the cast is saying about the movie are edging closer to political territory that typically turns off audiences. And since they already kicked off the tour, and the cast is so huge, I think the likelihood of controversy engulfing the buzz is growing. To be clear...im not WANTING this....I'm just saying this is the world we currently live in, and of the two, this movie is much more likely to get mired in the culture muck.

Mario and Top Gun were able to steer clear of this to great success. Oppenheimer, IMO, is much likelier to be able to do the same. It also has a huge cast of much more established names, so when they kick things off, the buzz will probably start popping as well.
Sea Speed
AG
What are they saying?
TCTTS
AG
veryfuller said:

I think A LOT is going to happen between now and then. Also, I'd say reviews are going to matter for those numbers as well. If either of them don't rate fresh, then the bet is off as far as how much they can get on opening weekend.

Both movies will rate fresh. Gerwig's last two directorial efforts have rated 99% and 95% respectively, while early reaction buzz so far has been positive. Same for Oppenheimer, as those who have seen it have all been blown away (no pun intended). In other words, all signs point to two highly rated movies releasing that weekend.

Barbie has already kicked off its press tour, so its definitely more top of mind to general audiences. BUT...some of the things the cast is saying about the movie are edging closer to political territory that typically turns off audiences. And since they already kicked off the tour, and the cast is so huge, I think the likelihood of controversy engulfing the buzz is growing. To be clear...im not WANTING this....I'm just saying this is the world we currently live in, and of the two, this movie is much more likely to get mired in the culture muck.

I'm sorry, but this reads like needless concern trolling / sh*t-stirring. I have no idea what you're talking about, re: whatever the cast has said (meaning it hasn't pierced the mainstream media), but even if Margot Robbie wore a trans flag dress to the premiere, and Ryan Gosling went in drag, and they both said the movie was a metaphor for trans rights while chugging Bud Light, it wouldn't affect the box office one bit. In other words, you're placing way too much emphasis on the anti-woke crowd's ability to influence a movie like this, never mind the fact that nothing notably controversial has even been said yet, same as there's zero indication the movie has any kind of "woke" messaging. By all accounts it carries a simple, positive message for young women about finding their worth and place in the world. I of course could end up eating my words, but three weeks out and there have been zero signs of any of that, which, if present, typically kick in long before now in these cycles.

Mario and Top Gun were able to steer clear of this to great success. Oppenheimer, IMO, is much likelier to be able to do the same. It also has a huge cast of much more established names, so when they kick things off, the buzz will probably start popping as well.
Claude!
TCTTS said:

veryfuller said:

I'm sorry, but this reads like needless concern trolling / sh*t-stirring. I have no idea what you're talking about, re: whatever the cast has said (meaning it hasn't pierced the mainstream media cycle), but even if Margot Robbie wore a trans flag dress to the premiere, and Ryan Gosling went in drag, and they both said the movie was a metaphor for gay rights while chugging Bud Light, it wouldn't affect the box office one bit. In other words, you're placing way too much emphasis on the anti-woke crowd's ability to influence a movie like this.

Hypothetical question: what size trans flag are we talking about for this dress here?
TCTTS
AG
Skin tight of course. This is a Barbie movie, after all.
AggieLitigator
Oppenheimer looks amazing. I'll be contributing to their opening weekend
veryfuller
Staff
AG
Yikes…sorry for the "concern trolling"? Didn't know that was a thing.

I also fully expect them to be highly rated…but you never know.

TCTTS
AG
nm
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS said:

This is what I'm thinking, while I see Oppenheimer opening closer to $50M…

cbr
AG
Its quite a statement of where we are that barbie is ahead of oppenheimer in anything.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
cbr said:

Its quite a statement of where we are that barbie is ahead of oppenheimer in anything.
While I agree, Barbie is going to appeal to a far larger audience. It will very likely make a hell of a lot more at the box office. But Oppenheimer will be, hands down, the better movie.
#FJB
TCTTS
AG
jackie childs
i have no real idea what to expect from Barbie, but for whatever reasons, i'm getting a 21 jump street vibe from it.

i remember when 21 jump street got announced, it got lumped into the "hollywood is out of ideas" and "oh great, another movie about an 80's tv show" basket and few people expected it to be good.

but it had solid directors, a great cast and offered a different take than what anybody was expecting.

i could see Barbie doing that same thing
TXAG 05
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

cbr said:

While I agree, Barbie is going to appeal to a far larger audience. It will very likely make a hell of a lot more at the box office. But Oppenheimer will be, hands down, the better movie.

Agreed. Everyone in the world knows who Barbie is. I'd bet a very high percentage of people in this country, even college educated, know who Oppenheimer was, or have even heard the name.
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
When the bomb goes off:
double aught
AG
TCTTS said:

Movies are fun.

Sea Speed
AG
I see celebrities have a new thing
Sapper Redux
I'll take this thing over most of their things.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.