BARBIE vs OPPENHEIMER

26,417 Views | 307 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by TCTTS
Bruce Almighty
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The Force Awakens was just 8 years ago. Have people already forgotten what insane movie marketing is like?
Sea Speed
AG
Oh man I can hear the movie phone voice in my head. Completely forgot about that.
Bunk Moreland
Sea Speed said:

Oh man I can hear the movie phone voice in my head. Completely forgot about that.

I can never hear the movie phone voice again. I only hear Kramer.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

Sea Speed said:

Came here to say this.

Why don't you just tell me the name of the movie you want to see?
#FJB
JCA1
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Bunk Moreland said:

Sea Speed said:

Came here to say this.

Why don't you just tell me the name of the movie you want to see?

Chunnel.
Leggo My Elko
AG
Breggy Popup
AG
BadMoonRisin said:

Man, I remember having to go theater-to-theater to get tickets for Jurassic Park THE NEXT DAY only to see every single time in the box office with a SOLD OUT sticker covering it.

Those were the days. You had to call the theater normally to see if things were sold out, but back in those days the phone lines were always busy, for DAYS, so you had to go in person.

Congo, same thing. Independence Day (ID-4).

No idea why I have these 3 burned into my mind, but man summer blockbusters used to be a cultural phenomenon.

I remember standing in a line around the block with my parents to see Ghostbusters at the old Palms Theater in Sugar Land. There was one screen so dad got tickets, drove us into Houston to go to the mall and we came back that evening to see the movie.

HollywoodBQ
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

AMC released this commercial before their movies a year or 2 ago. It got made fun of online, spoofed on SNL, etc.

So the tweet is just saying that before the movie someone stood up and recited the speech as she was doing it.
At the showing of Oppenheimer that I attended, most of the theater clapped at the beginning and end of the Nicole Kidman part.

But at my daughter's showing of Barbie, apparently most of theater actually recited Nicole Kidman's lines. I'd never heard of that before.

I first saw that commercial - ironically - before Top Gun Maverick.
_mpaul
AG
BadMoonRisin said:

Man, I remember having to go theater-to-theater to get tickets for Jurassic Park THE NEXT DAY only to see every single time in the box office with a SOLD OUT sticker covering it.

Those were the days. You had to call the theater normally to see if things were sold out, but back in those days the phone lines were always busy, for DAYS, so you had to go in person.

No idea why I have these 3 burned into my mind, but man summer blockbusters used to be a cultural phenomenon.
I worked at a theater for many years starting as a HS senior. I knew nothing about concession or cash registers or box office. I was just an usher. At some point, the theatre made me a supervisor and decided the best time for me to learn to "supervise" concession, where I had never worked, was . . . opening weekend of Jurassic Park. I still have nightmares about that weekend.

But I learned concession.
Paper. An insane deer. Taco meat.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Bregxit said:

BadMoonRisin said:

I remember standing in a line around the block with my parents to see Ghostbusters at the old Palms Theater in Sugar Land. There was one screen so dad got tickets, drove us into Houston to go to the mall and we came back that evening to see the movie.

Recognized that building before I even saw the word Palms. Saw many movies there, from Star Wars and Alien to Raiders of the Lost Ark to The Boogens (yeah, look that one up).

Interesting that the title on the marquee says "The Sugar Land Express" for a theater in Sugar Land.
#FJB
Sea Speed
AG
HollywoodBQ said:

Bunk Moreland said:

AMC released this commercial before their movies a year or 2 ago. It got made fun of online, spoofed on SNL, etc.

So the tweet is just saying that before the movie someone stood up and recited the speech as she was doing it.
At the showing of Oppenheimer that I attended, most of the theater clapped at the beginning and end of the Nicole Kidman part.

But at my daughter's showing of Barbie, apparently most of theater actually recited Nicole Kidman's lines. I'd never heard of that before.

I first saw that commercial - ironically - before Top Gun Maverick.

Omg what has she done to her face
BadMoonRisin
AG
_mpaul said:

BadMoonRisin said:

I worked at a theater for many years starting as a HS senior. I knew nothing about concession or cash registers or box office. I was just an usher. At some point, the theatre made me a supervisor and decided the best time for me to learn to "supervise" concession, where I had never worked, was . . . opening weekend of Jurassic Park. I still have nightmares about that weekend.

But I learned concession.
Movies, baby. Movies.

They were fun. And they can be fun again.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
https://instagr.am/p/CuH9O-Lvukn
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
In the five years I've been going to this AMC, I have NEVER seen the parking lot this packed. Literally end to end with a couple open spots.

Not even for Endgame.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Holy crap!

TCTTS
AG
wangus12
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Holy crap!

Not falling for that **** again lol
Breggy Popup
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Bregxit said:

BadMoonRisin said:

Recognized that building before I even saw the word Palms. Saw many movies there, from Star Wars and Alien to Raiders of the Lost Ark to The Boogens (yeah, look that one up).

Interesting that the title on the marquee says "The Sugar Land Express" for a theater in Sugar Land.

Same here. That was the only place I saw movies from 1980 to 1990ish. Then Tinseltown opened off Beltway 8 and that was the place to go.
GoAgs92
AG
I wonder if Oppenheimer regrets the hyperbole of that destroyer quote when the bomb has actually saved more lives than it took….so far at least.

Or maybe he figured we'd all be dead by now….what a dope.

Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Bregxit said:

Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Bregxit said:

BadMoonRisin said:

Same here. That was the only place I saw movies from 1980 to 1990ish. Then Tinseltown opened off Beltway 8 and that was the place to go.
When I moved out to the far west side of Houston after A&M, that Tinseltown was my go-to through the 90s.
#FJB
johnnyblaze36
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Holy crap!

Has to do with this:

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/amc-stock-surges-more-than-70-after-delaware-judge-puts-brakes-ape-to-stock-conversion-plan-14e271f3

Quote:

Shares of AMC Entertainment Holdings Inc. rocketed more than 60% higher on Friday after a judge in Delaware shot down a settlement that would have allowed the movie-theater chain to move ahead with a plan, maligned by some investors, to dump more shares onto the market, according to reports.

AMC has wanted to turn its so-called APE or AMC Preferred Equity preferred units into common stock. But Delaware Chancery Court Vice Chancellor Morgan Zurn rejected an earlier settlement that would have allowed that conversion to move forward.
Bunk Moreland

Holy *****
TXAG 05
AG
The Regal by me has over twice as many showings as Oppenheimer and only have a couple seats available. The oppenheimers are pretty well sold, but not on the scale of Barbie
Bunk Moreland
For both types of movies to debut same weekend that is simply an astounding number.

And the message to Hollywood should hopefully be, stop with the comic books and the retreads. Yes Barbie is a long established brand but these are 2 fresh new movies nobody has seen before. And I can't even say they went up 'against' each other. They complemented each other. The world is aching for new stories.
TXAG 05
AG
I'm surprised it took this long to make a Barbie movie.
javajaws
AG
TCTTS said:

When I went to the restroom after seeing Barbie half the men were wearing pink! I had to do a double take and make sure I was in the men's room and not the women's. But then I remembered I was in Austin...
TCTTS
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.