BARBIE vs OPPENHEIMER

26,401 Views | 307 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by TCTTS
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So, during the pandemic, Warner Bros infamously decided to release their entire 2021 theatrical slate to HBO Max, with each movie that year releasing on the platform the same day each movie also released in theaters, in attempt to drive subscriptions during an incredibly turbulent period. The thing was, Warner Bros didn't tell a single actor/director/writer/etc that they were doing this, it caused all kinds of financial headaches, they had to make all kinds of new deals with talent in the wake of this announcement, and massively pissed off two of their top directors, Christopher Nolan and Denis Villeneuve. The former ultimately left the company over it, a company he'd had a deal with for well over a decade. Nolan took his next movie, Oppenheimer, to Universal Pictures instead, preemptively claiming a July 21, 2023 release date in the process, Nolan's go-to, late-July, release slot since The Dark Knight in 2008.

In the meantime, Warner Bros. was developing a Barbie movie starring Margot Robbie and Ryan Gosling as Barbie and Ken respectively, written by Greta Gerwig and Noah Baumbach, and directed by Gerwig. Gerwig/Baumbach are a famous indie couple (both professionally and romantically), with Gerwig responsible for writing/directing the incredibly well-received Lady Bird and Little Women, while Baumbach has written/directed such indie favorites as Marriage Story, Frances Ha, While We're Young, Greenberg, and The Squid and the Whale. Needless to say, they were an out-of-left-field choice for a Barbie movie, but with Margot Robbie producing, the three of them came up with a take so unique and fun, that Warner Bros not only decided to make it a huge summer blockbuster, in an effort to screw with/spite Nolan (a fact I have on very good authority), they decided to slot Barbie in Nolan's old late-July slot... on July 21, 2023.

And thus was born *the* multi-meme-generating movie battle of 2023... the colorful, uber-happy Barbie vs. the dour, uber-serious Oppenheimer. The scorned studio taking on their former golden boy in a movie-going weekend for the ages.

Personally, I think Barbie is going to be a massive box office success, partly because I know a bit about what they have planned, but more so based on the sheer online buzz/excitement so far. I really do think it has the potential to be the Top Gun: Maverick-like phenomenon of summer 2023 (though obviously not *that* big), except for the ladies/young girls, but will draw in all four quadrants as well. Which could be unfortunate for Oppenheimer, even though it looks like it has the potential to be one of Nolan's best yet (and one I'm beyond stoked for).

Either way, we win, and if both dates hold, what an incredibly great weekend at the movies...

TCTTS
AG

TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
Also, just FYI, both of these hit just one week after Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning: Part One, and just one week before The Marvels. In other words, July 2023 is going to be INSANE.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Barbie didn't play the Aqua song. Will not be watching.
toucan82
if you do the double feature, what order do you go in?

I'm leaning Barbie first
TCTTS
AG
Same. I'm thinking Barbie around 4 PM, then Oppenheimer around 7 PM. Will probably just end up seeing them on different nights, though, unless I end up trying to get a group together to make an event out of both.
FL_Ag1998
AG
Count me in (for now) for the Oppenheimer-only group. I'm a 46 yr old man with a son, no daughters. The Barbie trailer was funny, Gosling usually picks good roles, and I really like Gerwig, but as of now I only picture myself seeing Barbie when it gets released on streaming if it gets absolutely rave reviews.

What I think is hilarious, in a non-demeaning and friendly way, is seeing grown straight men excited to see a Barbie movie. You have to admit its a humerous situation.
Claude!
From the trailers, Oppenheimer looks to be beautifully shot and acted. On the other hand, Barbie clearly has Margot Robbie in a bathing suit.
InnocentBystander99
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
My daughter is 16 and no longer has any interest in Barbie dolls or movies like that. Will not be seeing.

Will be seeing Oppenheimer on opening night, and probably a time or do additionally.
#FJB
PatAg
AG
I think there is a very good chance Barbie is just a bad movie. We'll see, good directing/writing team but anyone can have a bad idea.
The Porkchop Express

DUH
oragator
I would be shocked if Margot and Ryan signed on and stayed with it if it was going to be bad. They are two of the biggest names in the industry right now and have their pick of roles.not that things can't happen between script and screen of course.
PatAg
AG
oragator said:

I would be shocked if Margot and Ryan signed on and stayed with it if it was going to be bad. They are two of the biggest names in the industry right now and have their pick of roles.not that things can't happen between script and screen of course.
Big stars arent immune to appearing in duds
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
PatAg said:

oragator said:

Big stars arent immune to appearing in duds
Yep, I give you Birds of Prey.
#FJB
oragator
Oh I agree that it could happen..
I am just saying when you look at the works of Gerwig Robbie and Gosling over the past decade misses are rare. Odds are this will be good. Question is whether it will have broad appeal.
Quad Dog
AG
I get the feeling a lot of people will absolutely love to hate Barbie without ever seeing it.
Quad Dog
AG
Quote:

Personally, I think Barbie is going to be a massive box office success, partly because I know a bit about what they have planned, but more so based on the sheer online buzz/excitement so far. I really do think it has the potential to be the Top Gun: Maverick-like phenomenon of summer 2023 (though obviously not *that* big), except for the ladies/young girls, but will draw in all four quadrants as well.

I know nothing, but I'm curious what the audience is that you see?
Will it appeal to girls currently young enough to play with Barbie? Looks to old maybe for them.
Will it appeal to older girls who outgrew Barbie? Maybe if meta enough to dig into nostalgia, but also makes fun of the dolls.
I do think a lot of women will see this.
Boys will shun anything Barbie.
Older boys will too, unless Robbie is enough of a pull to their hormones.
I doubt many men will see this unless dragged by a daughter or wife/girlfriend.
Is it a family movie?
schmendeler
AG
I'll probably see both if Barbie gets good buzz but Oppenheimer is my clear fave
Sapper Redux
Claude! said:

From the trailers, Oppenheimer looks to be beautifully shot and acted. On the other hand, Barbie clearly has Margot Robbie in a bathing suit.

It's a problem as old as time:
goinjukin
The Porkchop Express said:

DUH

Did she sign her initials WR? Because there's no way that's an M.

She probably thought no one would notice a sloppy signature given the picture itself but we must be vigilant.
I Am A Critic
Username checks out.
Claude!
You're such a critic.
schmendeler
AG
Next time just close the thread and go about your day
double aught
AG
Wow. What an a-hole post for absolutely no reason.
Philo B 93
Wish we had a ******bags Board for you.
The Porkchop Express
And that was the day I am a Critic taught the Entertainment Board the true meaning of Christmas.

YouBet
AG
Big fan of gosling. Won't go to theater for it but will absolutely rent it. I'm assuming it's going to be like the Lego movie.

Want to see Manhattan as well especially since we just went to Los Alamos this year and checked out the atomic museum that tells this story. Great little museum if you are ever there.

Just hope Nolan bounces back from his last endeavor which was a bit painful.
PatAg
AG
btw, not saying it will suck for sure
Just a vibe I'm getting, I'll be seeing it for sure
TCTTS
AG
Whatever I Am A Critic said, I'm sure it's nothing that hasn't been said to me at least a dozen times before. Except the others at least stand by their words and don't cowardly delete them without some kind of explanation.
maroon barchetta
I missed it so no idea.
TCTTS
AG
Quad Dog said:

Quote:

Personally, I think Barbie is going to be a massive box office success, partly because I know a bit about what they have planned, but more so based on the sheer online buzz/excitement so far. I really do think it has the potential to be the Top Gun: Maverick-like phenomenon of summer 2023 (though obviously not *that* big), except for the ladies/young girls, but will draw in all four quadrants as well.

I know nothing, but I'm curious what the audience is that you see?
Will it appeal to girls currently young enough to play with Barbie? Looks to old maybe for them.
Will it appeal to older girls who outgrew Barbie? Maybe if meta enough to dig into nostalgia, but also makes fun of the dolls.
I do think a lot of women will see this.
Boys will shun anything Barbie.
Older boys will too, unless Robbie is enough of a pull to their hormones.
I doubt many men will see this unless dragged by a daughter or wife/girlfriend.
Is it a family movie?

I think you're over-analyzing it. Forget the actual Barbie doll and who does/doesn't play with it. It's not like only people who were playing with Transformers in 2007 saw Transformers in 2007. It was a lot broader than that, and this will be too. Except this is going to be a big, bold comedy (The Lego Movie comparison above is a somewhat apt comparison, not mention Will Ferrell is in this too, if that tells you anything) that girls/women will not only drag their significant others too, I really do think after word-of-mouth gets around, boys/men will start showing up too. It's a four-quadrant movie for the whole family (not to say it'll be rated PG, though), that will have late July and all of August to play, build buzz, make bank, etc.
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
TCTTS said:

It's a four-quadrant movie for the whole family (not to say it'll be rated PG, though), that will have late July and all of August to play, build buzz, make bank, etc.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Basically it was something to the extent of your post reads like a wannabe Hollywood insider who thinks his words are more important than everyone else's.

It was pretty bizarre to read that from your post. Probably some deep-seeded resentment and hatred there I gather.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.