Embarrassing RE Oppenheimer - a cautionary tale

20,220 Views | 257 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by davec81
HollywoodBQ
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
At the request of my Engineering degreed daughter, I just bought tickets to see Oppenheimer in 70mm tomorrow night (the day before it opens nationally - one of the few perks of paying to live in LA).

You would think this is going to be a hooray hashtag Women in STEM story but unfortunately, it's a sad state of education story.

After I bought the tickets, she says to me, now who was this guy? Was he like a Nazi scientist or something?

My jaw hit the floor. Not so much that she didn't know who he was - at least she's going to attend the movie and find out, but the fact that she didn't even know whose side he was on. She does know that we stole some scientists from the Nazis but that is more space program related.

I spent a ton of dough on private girls school in Australia and on out of state tuition at the West Point of the South. I can't believe that they didn't cover the development of The Bomb in either of those settings.

Maybe it's just accepted these days that "Nukes are Bad M'Kay" and they don't even discuss the Manhattan Project in history class.

It's been a long time since I took American History in HS, or US Military History in college but I just can't believe that kids these days would not even know the particulars about how we won the War in the Pacific. Since the Pacific Theater affected Australia the most, you'd think that they would teach schoolchildren that their bacon was saved by The Yanks and their A-Bombs. Also by Yanks like my Grandfather who went to Brisbane before participating in amphibious assaults in New Guinea and The Philippines.

So I asked her why did she want to see a 3 hour long movie (runtime 180 minutes with $22 tickets) if she didn't even know who the guy was. She said she heard it was a good movie.

I sure hope it is a good movie, we'll see.

So my question for the parents out there is - What do your kids know about Robert Oppenheimer, The Manhattan Project, WWII in the Pacific?

Is this just an isolated incident or, are we in the midst of an American History Pandemic?

Politics because - our kids should being taught this at the HS and/or College level.
The Banned
It's possible that the name was tossed out there and she simply doesn't remember it. I've personally taught students material that they don't remember the next week. It has to be repeated over and over and over, because the baseline for kids right now is memorize crap for a test and forget it immediately after.
HarryJ33tamu
Kids are too busy learning about mutilating kids' genitalia, how boys can have babies, and men can have periods. They don't have time to learn history, math, etc.
Viper16
AG
Don't take this the wrong way Hollywood BQ, but what did you teach your child about US History over the years?
93MarineHorn
I wasn't taught anything about Oppenheimer in HS or college. I don't think this is that big a deal, OP. It's certainly not a "sign of the times" thing.
Logos Stick
The Banned said:

It's possible that the name was tossed out there and she simply doesn't remember it. I've personally taught students material that they don't remember the next week. It has to be repeated over and over and over, because the baseline for kids right now is memorize crap for a test and forget it immediately after.

Some people really like history and remember it. Others don't.
zoneag
My kids know that it wasn't over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor
CorpsTerd04
AG
It called Home School. I find you can actually teach your Children History.
JABQ04
AG
I really don't remember leaning about Oppenheimer I. Public schools or, hell even college and I was a history major. Now what I learned is because I'm a huge history nerd and studied this on my own. I don't know all the facts but have a decent idea of what he did.
beerad12man
AG
Meh. A lot of people know about WWII, the general timeline, d-day, what countries were fighting who, etc. But may not know the name Oppenheimer. Or had heard it but aren't sure who he was. Doesn't mean much.

On another note, Cillian Murphy is one of the most underrated actors in the world. Fantastic cast in this movie. I won't be going on opening weekend but will be seeing it the weekend of August 4th.
TxSquarebody
WC87
AG
Throw another nuke on the barbie, mate!

My son knows. He is 8. How the hell he knows is beyond me but I asked him and he said didn't he invent a big bomb or something? Maybe he has seen the movie trailer. My daughters have no clue. They are 10.

DukeMu
The Banned said:

Yep. I force students to think - you know I'm vilified!
Showertime at the Bidens

I'll admit I didn't know who Oppenheimer was until a few years ago. And I've studied a lot of WW2 history. I've seen some documentaries on the Manhattan project, and know the gist of the story but nothing specifically remembered about Oppenheimer.

slaughtr
AG
Where did you live in Australia?
I attended Rostrevor College in Adelaide as a boy, speaking of expensive private school.
AgEngineer72
AG
For a reference, I'm an old who was apparently taught more history in public school and at TAMU than my kids were. We were taught the bomb was developed by the U.S. and there was some mention that it was a secret called the Manhattan Project. But we were never taught names like who the scientists were other than a passing mention or two. I don't recall learning of Oppenheimer until my own readings as an adult.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
I only learned Herstory. What would you like to know about Kitty Oppenheimer?
Martin Q. Blank
The name "Oppenheimer" sounds pretty Nazi-ish.
goatchze
AG
I think you're blowing it out of proportion a bit.

I'm an engineer and a history lover. If asked about:

Manhattan project? Sure, could talk about it. Enola Gay? She was a B-29. Fat Man and Little Boy? Those were the bombs.

Oppenheimer? They sell investments.
aggiehawg
AG

AgGrad99
AG

My HS son took a dual credit, college History course last summer.

It was so ridiculous, I ended up auditing it with him. It should have been renamed 'Racial History of the United States', because that's all it dealt with. As an example, the section on WWII didnt mention Hitler one time, in any of the study material, quizzes or tests. Not once. Every section was like this. Very little actual historical knowledge, just information about how groups were negatively affected socially.

I was bothered by the material, because it was severely lacking actual historical information. As a result, I did some quick research on the book/author and found out it was the #1 history curriculum used in High School and college currently.
P.U.T.U
AG
I know a decent amount of him since I did a paper in middle or high school, very interesting life. I always appreciated his humility as well, after the first test explosion he knew he just killed hundreds of thousands of people. Its one of those it had to be done to save millions of people since if the Germans finished their nuclear bomb first they would use it on the Allies which would kill millions.

It also ended the war without a major offensive on Japan, estimates are it would have taken 400k-1 million Allied soldiers. Instead there was "only" around 200k Japanese casualties from the bombs. A lot of weight for those who had to make the decisions back then.

Quote:

We have to hold people accountable for what they do with the tools that they have...I am become death, the destroyer of worlds
P.H. Dexippus
AG
When I was dating my born and raised Texas wife, I discovered she had no idea who Sam Houston was. And she had lived in Houston, including during high school. History is just not some people's strong suit.

I'd rank ignorance on the father of the atomic bomb somewhat lower.
aggiedent
AG
I certainly don't remember being taught anything to do with the development of the bomb or the first reactor in HS. I'm an 80's grad.

All learned from my own self interest.
twk
AG
Heck, even if you only get your history from the movies, this isn't the first film to cover the subject:

Fat Man and Little Boy

Knowledge of history seems to get less every year. Maybe it's that they are focusing on different aspects of history, but, whatever the reason, it's not doing a service to young people.

[Edit: hawg beat me to it. ]
TxTarpon
Wow
I am sorry

I heard that he briefly had a relative go to aTm before they defected to tu and became a lawyer.
localag88
I'm well educated, yet I had never heard the name until Sting or Billy Joel used it in a song....not sure who was first.
The problem with people that don't get it is they don't get that they don't get it.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
As a history teacher, I can't tell you how many times I've been told by adults "Every students should know about…". Sure, I can usually find a lot of it interesting but I've only got so much time. A person's historical learning should be completely on any school system, private or public, and it shouldn't end at graduation.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
twk said:

Heck, even if you only get your history from the movies, this isn't the first film to cover the subject:

Fat Man and Little Boy

Knowledge of history seems to get less every year. Maybe it's that they are focusing on different aspects of history, but, whatever the reason, it's not doing a service to young people.

[Edit: hawg beat me to it. ]

History gets harder every year.
Sid Farkas
AG
Martin Q. Blank said:

The name "Oppenheimer" sounds pretty Nazi-ish.
Sounds Jewish to me. Kinda makes him an anti-Nazi.

I got tix for the first IMAX showing on Saturday morning in Irvine. Ca.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/oppenheimer-movie-70mm-imax-travel-f4931482?st=3zebuz1v6iw45iw&reflink=desktopwebshare_permalink

Quote:

Dedicated film buffs are hitting the road to grab a seat at one of only 30 theaters in the world capable of projecting IMAX 70mm film prints of "Oppenheimer." Their journeys range from an hour's drive to hourslong flights. Some are turning the excursions into weekend getaways, crashing at friends' homes nearby....

In the U.S., just 19 IMAX theaters will project the 70mm film with a perfect 1.43:1 aspect ratio. None of those theaters are in Milwaukee, where Pablo Hurtado lives. So Hurtado, a freelance writer and senior annuity contract manager at an insurance brokerage, is taking Friday off work to get up at 5 a.m. and drive five hours to Indianapolis, where he will see "Oppenheimer" in IMAX 70mm.
Close friend of mine is driving from Austin to SA to watch it.

I predict it's going to be great.
Corporal Punishment
AG
localag88 said:

I'm well educated, yet I had never heard the name until Sting or Billy Joel used it in a song....not sure who was first.

Russians by Sting
"Oppenheimer's deadly toy"

Cool song.
aggiehawg
AG
There's a great musuem is Albuquerque. Virtual tours are here
aggiehawg
AG
Longer clip here.

Predmid
AG
"I am become death, destroyer of worlds"
TxSquarebody
At 9, my son came home with this...

He was a "student" of military history ever since. Now at 24, and in the Army, he knows so many small skirmishes that I've never even heard of! Some kids just "get it".

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.