Embarrassing RE Oppenheimer - a cautionary tale

20,248 Views | 257 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by davec81
HollywoodBQ
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
evan_aggie said:

My daughter recently gave me the nickname "hairy monster with a tooty bottom."

She is 3, but I'll do my best to educate her on project manhattan.
Sounds like you need to enroll her in expensive private pre-school right away.

Or move her to Houston ISD where I understand they've dramatically increased teacher salaries which should produce great outcomes for students.

Probably not too young to get started playing Call of Duty.
Burdizzo
AG
So you're saying there boobs in this movie, and I may not be able to take my kids?
BoydCrowder13
Great movie. Everyone should go see it
HollywoodBQ
AG
Burdizzo said:

So you're saying there boobs in this movie, and I may not be able to take my kids?
One female, repeated. Probably 2 minutes of screen time in a 180 minute long movie.
If your kids are 7th Grade and up, it's probably OK.

The sex scenes are not steamy at all and they do discuss adultery but there's nothing graphic. For 2023, it's pretty tame.

One funny part related to being topless is that we see the lead actor (an Irishman) with his shirt off several times. I don't know if things were different back in the 1930s but you can tell he's not American because he's got no chest muscles. How much can you bench bro is a dead giveaway (well, used to be anyway) that a male is American.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
Was in Artisia,NM whe the first test was made- heard nothing but about 100 miles away. on way back to austin

in Brady when bells went off for the end of ww2.

In Navy 1946 saw where the abombs were stored on Kwajeline. Left Marshalls when the first abomb

test after the end of ww2 went off. was on ship back to states about 250 miles away - looked but saw nor heard nothing.

Small World!
BigJim49AustinnowDallas
techno-ag
AG
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas said:

Was in Artisia,NM whe the first test was made- heard nothing but about 100 miles away. on way back to austin

In Navy 1946 saw where the abombs were stored on Kwajeline. Left Marshalls when the first abomb

test after the end of ww2 went off. was on ship back to states about 250 miles away - looked but saw nor heard nothing.

Small World!
Actually sounds like a big world.

Thank you for your service.
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
BluHorseShu
AG
HollywoodBQ said:

At the request of my Engineering degreed daughter, I just bought tickets to see Oppenheimer in 70mm tomorrow night (the day before it opens nationally - one of the few perks of paying to live in LA).

You would think this is going to be a hooray hashtag Women in STEM story but unfortunately, it's a sad state of education story.

After I bought the tickets, she says to me, now who was this guy? Was he like a Nazi scientist or something?

My jaw hit the floor. Not so much that she didn't know who he was - at least she's going to attend the movie and find out, but the fact that she didn't even know whose side he was on. She does know that we stole some scientists from the Nazis but that is more space program related.

I spent a ton of dough on private girls school in Australia and on out of state tuition at the West Point of the South. I can't believe that they didn't cover the development of The Bomb in either of those settings.

Maybe it's just accepted these days that "Nukes are Bad M'Kay" and they don't even discuss the Manhattan Project in history class.

It's been a long time since I took American History in HS, or US Military History in college but I just can't believe that kids these days would not even know the particulars about how we won the War in the Pacific. Since the Pacific Theater affected Australia the most, you'd think that they would teach schoolchildren that their bacon was saved by The Yanks and their A-Bombs. Also by Yanks like my Grandfather who went to Brisbane before participating in amphibious assaults in New Guinea and The Philippines.

So I asked her why did she want to see a 3 hour long movie (runtime 180 minutes with $22 tickets) if she didn't even know who the guy was. She said she heard it was a good movie.

I sure hope it is a good movie, we'll see.

So my question for the parents out there is - What do your kids know about Robert Oppenheimer, The Manhattan Project, WWII in the Pacific?

Is this just an isolated incident or, are we in the midst of an American History Pandemic?

Politics because - our kids should being taught this at the HS and/or College level.
Grandfather worked with him on Little Boy. My 3 kids are well versed on Oppie, Los Alamos and Manhattan project from early age.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
techno-ag said:

BigJim49 AustinNowDallas said:

Small World!
Actually sounds like a big world.

Thank you for your service.
Many thanks, tech-no, for your comment.

I was an aerologist (weatherman) on Majuro, Marshall Islands - all our weather later went over Eniwetok and Bikini about 200 miles north.

Got to serve again due to my Aggie commission in the AF -Germany 12thAFHQ. Again due to a need

because of the Russian blockade of Berlin in 55-56.
BigJim49AustinnowDallas
techno-ag
Burdizzo
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

If anyone reads the whole thread (I know, it's TexAgs, no one reads the thread, they just comment on the title) that's not a new spoiler, it's already been discussed.

Germany was the hotbed for research into theoretical physics. Lots of the scientists were Jewish. Most of them fled when Hitler came to power. And almost all joined the MP because they were terrified that Hitler would get an A Bomb first.

There was a big celebration at Los Alamos on VE Day, and lots of the scientists thought the program would be shut down as unnecessary. There was a small revolt when they realized it was going ahead, and now aimed at Japan

On top of getting all those Jewish scientists, Indiana Jones captured the Lost Ark of The Covenant so we had it on our side
Tanya 93
Old Army Ghost said:

parents not taking responsibility for there childs education and thinkig paying private schools is the answer

their, not there.

child's, not childs.

thinking, not thinkig..
Burdizzo
davec81
AG
Tanya 93 said:

Old Army Ghost said:

parents not taking responsibility for there childs education and thinkig paying private schools is the answer

their, not there.

child's, not childs.

thinking, not thinkig..
Brutal.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.