*** She Hulk: Attorney At Law ***

50,718 Views | 656 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Ornithopter
jeffk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So the people who hated the series hated the finale? Shocking.
jeffk
AG
Madmarttigan said:

Yeah I'm a little worried this is how daredevil was introduced back into the MCU. I hope he isn't just a gimmick and is something in a more serious nature in the future.

Yeah, it might be worthwhile to start tempering our expectations for the Netflix Marvel characters. They'll probably all be softened a bit now that they're coming in under the Mouse's tent.
AgfromHOU
AG
jeffk said:

The series was okay to me, but the finale was the best part. Loved all of the meta Marvel Studios stuff.

Overall, Pug was great as a strait laced dude but total Avengers fanboy. Cameos were great and added to the story instead of distracting from it. Jen was great from start to finish. There were some pretty corny moments but overall a decent series with a really good finale.
Mathguy64
AG
jeffk said:

You don't understand. They hated it so much they watched every episode to explain just how much they hated every episode.

I can't fathom hating a show but coming back for more week after week. I really didn't like Rings of Power. I tried to watch it and gave up after 3 episodes. I'm not watching any more and certainly not complaining about it. It wasn't for me and that's it. I moved on.
TCTTS
AG
Loved the series. Wasn't a fan of the finale.
Red Five
AG
TCTTS said:

This.

I enjoyed every episode of the show prior to the finale. I actually enjoyed a lot of the finale, even up to her conversation with KEVIN. The resolution, or lack of, dragged the episode down. It was a good series with a bad ending. It happens.
TexasAggie_02
AG
honestly, you could have written off the 4th wall stuff as her talking to the Watcher or another higher power, but flat out acknowledging that it's all made up kind of cheapens the whole MCU in my opinion.
jeffk
AG
TCTTS said:

I liked the series a lot. I appreciated what they were going for in the finale, but I just wanted a little more. Especially coming off the previous episode which was honestly one of my favorite single episodes from any of the D+ shows.
TCTTS
AG
Same. LOVED episode eight, which felt like it could be such a great season finale in and of itself, save for the last few moments.
The Porkchop Express
Mathguy64 said:

jeffk said:

You don't understand. They hated it so much they watched every episode to explain just how much they hated every episode.

I can't fathom hating a show but coming back for more week after week. I really didn't like Rings of Power. I tried to watch it and gave up after 3 episodes. I'm not watching any more and certainly not complaining about it. It wasn't for me and that's it. I moved on.

If people followed that logic, the entertainment board would get about 96% fewer posts a day. I too stop watching if I don't like a show. Blows my mind that people to watch programs they clearly don't like so they can keep railing on them online.
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
The Dirty Sock
Mathguy64 said:

jeffk said:

Watched strictly for the side characters. Shehulk character was pretty worthless.

Actually made it through rings of power ok. Not that bad or great. But I can see how the nerds got all riled up.

Only marvel show I gave up on midway was ms marvel.
kerrag06
AG
It's an amazing show and something different. It almost seems to be mocking the people who demand non stop over the top action with crazy cameos. The bottom line is Endgame level casting and action will not be matched until MAYBE the next avengers movies in 2026 (whatever it is). Be patient!
Madmarttigan
AG
TexasAggie_02 said:

honestly, you could have written off the 4th wall stuff as her talking to the Watcher or another higher power, but flat out acknowledging that it's all made up kind of cheapens the whole MCU in my opinion.

Yeah it somehow took something fictional and ridiculous and made it even more ridiculous?

It's like this world that has been built that we escape to for fun and the 4th wall stuff to that extreme degree just shatters that escapism and I don't care for it at all.
jeffk
AG
The fourth wall breaking is a big thing with the character as established in the comics, but I get why that's off putting for some.
AliasMan02
AG
This has to be a troll because Ma Marvel is a top tier Marvel show.
Iowaggie
AG
Mathguy64 said:

jeffk said:

Your last paragraph somewhat describes many Aggie football fans.
PatAg
AG
AliasMan02 said:

This has to be a troll because Ma Marvel is a top tier Marvel show.
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
Loki has been the best marvel show to date
-Ben There/R.C.
C@LAg
Ghost of Bisbee said:

Loki has been the best marvel show to date
I have it behind Hawkeye.

Loki had some stronger story beats, but Hawkeye was a more consistent, well told story.
cav14
TCTTS said:

The Porkchop Express said:

There is no real world life for Jen Walters. She know she's a character in at TV show, she says it from the very first episode about "this being a lawyer show".

There was no need to re-do the climax because she made the changes with KEVIN - the discussion was the climax.

The whole show as a showcase in satire masking itself as a superhero series. I think watching it back I am going to see a lot of layers that I didn't see the first time because I was thinking it was going to be a corny as hell "cousin of the superhero gets powers" filler-fest. There was no need to act out her changes to the script, we already saw them through Kevin's screen.

Thought it was very smart and so counter-culture to what they've put out previously.

That's my problem with it right there. A discussion should never be a climax. That's completely antithetical to what a climax is. And I know the entire point was that she didn't want the big, ridiculous, smash-em-up ending. I totally get that. But I just needed *something* after the K.E.V.I.N. thing. Some kind of choice/decision/action - some little beat - where she does something that affects her arc and the plot *within* the four walls again.
So did you also hate the discussion climax in the first Dr. Strange film, "Dormammu, I've come to bargain"?
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
cav14 said:

TCTTS said:

The Porkchop Express said:

There is no real world life for Jen Walters. She know she's a character in at TV show, she says it from the very first episode about "this being a lawyer show".

There was no need to re-do the climax because she made the changes with KEVIN - the discussion was the climax.

The whole show as a showcase in satire masking itself as a superhero series. I think watching it back I am going to see a lot of layers that I didn't see the first time because I was thinking it was going to be a corny as hell "cousin of the superhero gets powers" filler-fest. There was no need to act out her changes to the script, we already saw them through Kevin's screen.

Thought it was very smart and so counter-culture to what they've put out previously.

That's my problem with it right there. A discussion should never be a climax. That's completely antithetical to what a climax is. And I know the entire point was that she didn't want the big, ridiculous, smash-em-up ending. I totally get that. But I just needed *something* after the K.E.V.I.N. thing. Some kind of choice/decision/action - some little beat - where she does something that affects her arc and the plot *within* the four walls again.
So did you also hate the discussion climax in the first Dr. Strange film, "Dormammu, I've come to bargain"?

I loved Dr. strange, but I do know people that didn't like it for that exact reason.
OCEN99
AG
TCTTS said:

MBAR said:

TCTTS said:

You conveniently left out the word "tangible." Breaking the fourth wall isn't doing something tangible, within her own story. It's magic nothingness that didn't affect her in-universe story/arc in any real way.
I left it out because I feel it's irrelevant. The entire story has been with fourth wall breaks and the entire comic genre is magic nothingness. I disagree it didn't affect her story as it literally completely changes the ending of the first season.

I think its perfectly fair to say that you didn't care for it, but you can't say they didn't do anything and try to come up with a way to dismiss what they did because you don't care for it. The word tangible here is completely arbitrary. I say this before I even knew there is a comic backstory for THIS VERY THING which further erodes that line of criticism.

The fourth wall breaks happened basically once an episode, sometimes twice, for a few seconds each time. They hardly made up the "entire" story. There were multiple times where I forgot that was even a thing she did. So to then devote basically an entire episode to it felt, to me, incredibly off balance. I don't care if it's based in the comics or not. That doesn't make it any less jarring here, in a completely different medium.

Still, like I said, it's not completely about the fourth wall break for me either. It's about how, after the K.E.V.I.N. thing, everything is magically/suddenly solved simply because she asked for it. It was a lot of talking not showing. There was no re-do of the climax, no choice to make or obstacle to overcome in her "real world" life. I would have been *completely* fine with everything else in the episode had there been something more tangible, more character driven, in the real world, AFTER the K.E.V.I.N. thing. Instead, she just *wanted* something to happen, it happened, and that was that, which I found it incredibly unsatisfying.
Yep, really the only issue I had with the finale. Even Wayne's World gave us a little bit of a rewind/re-do when they did the multi-ending thing.
ABATTBQ11
AG
I felt like the ending made me realize why Jen kind of sucks as a character. She's very into herself and selfish. It's all about *my* show and what *I* want with her. Like in the very beginning with Bruce. She wasn't interested in a lot of what he had to say because she was too concerned with how she wanted things to be. In the finale, it's all about getting the ending she wants. Screw what viewers might want or how the show fits into the wider universe, this is *her* show about *her*. There's never a thought to the fact that the show is for The viewers and funded by Marvel/Disney. *****, you get a show because of other people, but you don't care about what's in it for them.

Also, her dating thing. "I want men to like me for Jen," completely ignores the other side of the relationship. Does she never stop to think it might be awkward for a guy to date a woman who changes from frumpy to hulk lawyer and not maybe have a preference? She's cool about using her hulkness to her advantage, but you're seemingly a **** if you want she-hulk instead of normal Jen because you don't want her for her.

And ultimately, she didn't really learn anything or change at all. She basically got everything she wanted because she threw a tantrum.

I liked the series up until the finale. I get what they were maybe trying to do, but they missed pretty hard IMO.
PatAg
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

I felt like the ending made me realize why Jen kind of sucks as a character. She's very into herself and selfish. It's all about *my* show and what *I* want with her. Like in the very beginning with Bruce. She wasn't interested in a lot of what he had to say because she was too concerned with how she wanted things to be. In the finale, it's all about getting the ending she wants. Screw what viewers might want or how the show fits into the wider universe, this is *her* show about *her*. There's never a thought to the fact that the show is for The viewers and funded by Marvel/Disney. *****, you get a show because of other people, but you don't care about what's in it for them.

Also, her dating thing. "I want men to like me for Jen," completely ignores the other side of the relationship. Does she never stop to think it might be awkward for a guy to date a woman who changes from frumpy to hulk lawyer and not maybe have a preference? She's cool about using her hulkness to her advantage, but you're seemingly a **** if you want she-hulk instead of normal Jen because you don't want her for her.

And ultimately, she didn't really learn anything or change at all. She basically got everything she wanted because she threw a tantrum.
This is a hilarious thing to type
ABATTBQ11
AG
I liked the show and the series up until the finale. Up until that point, Jen/She-Hulk seemed kind of funny and witty. The ending took all of that and reframed it to just being really whiny about everything. I could see some of her gripes and thought it was funny how they poked fun at the MCU and Kevin Feige, but overall it just really missed for me. She just came off as super shallow with the whole, "I want my ending," bit without ever having to consider, "Why is this even a show in the first place?" If they wanted to get all meta and existential, they should have gone deeper than, "I'm just going to write my own ending and get everything I want for nothing." It was almost literally deus ex machina and terribly convenient.
rhutton125
AG
I agree that the resolution (post-K.E.V.I.N.) was a bit rushed, but I'm totally on board with She-Hulk not wanting to do the same generic Disney+ finale that we've seen 5 times already (Loki was different). Fits her personality, and it just fits the show better.

It's a legal sitcom. The writers say "there are some things you just have to do in a superhero show" but why? Like she says, Jen coming to terms with She-Hulk was the arc here - do we really need a surprise appearance from Red Hulk, or a surprise Bruce return so he can literally drop in and save the day? Did She-Hulk really need to do more punching to tie it all together?

Consider all the WandaVision theories (who is the engineer? Was Agatha really behind it all? Is the bunny a demon?). Or the Falcon & Winter Soldier theories (will Chris Evans return?). Or the way Kingpin returns in Hawkeye and Hawkeye doesn't even have a scene with him. Or the way the finale for each of these shows is 90% action and rushing to tie up loose ends. Did She-Hulk really need to do that too? Isn't it pretty generic at this point? For that alone, I appreciate that it did something different.
CoachRTM
AG
PatAg said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

This is a hilarious thing to type
Yea, that post sounds like something that would have been said at that Intelligencia get together. Just needed to include a few more "her" in quotation marks to hammer home the sexism.
jeffk
AG
Females! Amirite?
Saxsoon
AG
jeffk said:

Females! Amirite?

Dr. Horrible
Taken me a bit to think about what I wanted to say, but I think I'm aligned with at least a couple others here. I actually really liked everything including the major 4th wall break. No problems with than and all the stuff with Kevin. It was just the transition to the immediate aftermath that sucked because it felt too clean.

Probably what I hated the worst was random introduction of hulks kid. Either leave it out or do something more.

All that said, it wasn't enough to dampen the series for me and will still watch a season 2
rhutton125
AG
Has anyone read any Skaar comics? I'm not a fan but I haven't read very much. Surprised they're doing it but I guess it's the next direction to take Hulk.
redline248
AG
Who is the lucky girl that hooked up with Hulk? Guess he got over leaving Nat on Earth pretty quick.
BenFiasco14
AG
Just watched.

I am fine with the finale if we can from a canon perspective forget that entire 4th wall breaking scene and meeting "KEVIN". That was just WAY too on the nose and circle jerky. It was just cringey imo. Saving grace - she hulk in that outfit.

Fine with it ending that her and Daredevil are together. So they can do whatever from here with her character and his with a setup for her to be in the upcoming daredevil show.

Overall I'd say the show was good for what it was - a lighthearted comedy, really, with a marvel brand. As other mentioned if she's in future properties, I don't see why they can't do it. Hulk was offering ant man tacos in infinity war. She shows up to beat stuff up - has a few jokes. Boom.
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
TexasAggie_02
AG
redline248 said:

Who is the lucky girl that hooked up with Hulk? Guess he got over leaving Nat on Earth pretty quick.

Someone from saakar.

Wonder how his son feels right now. When Hulk left saakar, he was a ruthless, undefeated gladiator that had killed countless foes. His son has probably heard the tales and was very proud. Then his dad finally shows up and he meets a big green nerd.
jokershady
AG
redline248 said:

pretty sure it was the big green dude laying pipe in some creature that could handle it and not Banner…..

Green dude was all like….Nat who?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.