*** She Hulk: Attorney At Law ***

50,321 Views | 656 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Ornithopter
EMY92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
jokershady said:

redline248 said:

Who is the lucky girl that hooked up with Hulk? Guess he got over leaving Nat on Earth pretty quick.
pretty sure it was the big green dude laying pipe in some creature that could handle it and not Banner…..

Green dude was all like….Nat who?
New perspective with "Hulk smash!"
AustinAg2K
I'm still trying to make it through this show. I think I'm episode 7. I find the CGI very distracting and hard to watch. Imo, the quality is really bad. Also, the side characters costumes are awful. I don't know if maybe they they were going for something super cheesy, but it doesn't feel like Marvel. I feel like I'm watching a B level show on UPN like Xena Warrior Princess.
jokershady
AG
AustinAg2K said:

I'm still trying to make it through this show. I think I'm episode 7. I find the CGI very distracting and hard to watch. Imo, the quality is really bad. Also, the side characters costumes are awful. I don't know if maybe they they were going for something super cheesy, but it doesn't feel like Marvel. I feel like I'm watching a B level show on UPN like Xena Warrior Princess.
this show is not meant to be taken serious. Have fun with it and it'll make the ending WAY more fun for you
The Porkchop Express
AustinAg2K said:

stop watching it and you'll be happy and we'll be happy!
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
PatAg
AG
The CGI in the office scenes was probably the only truly 'bad' part of the show, but its not exactly hard to just ignore it.
imjustsayin
AG
TCTTS said:

Loved the series. Wasn't a fan of the finale.

That's funny.. I was the opposite… I found the finale very fun and entertaining… but the rest of the season a little more meh. I felt like the finale left no doubt about what it was trying to be and wasn't.
Iowaggie
AG
Mathguy64 said:

jeffk said:

So the people who hated the series hated the finale? Shocking.

You don't understand. They hated it so much they watched every episode to explain just how much they hated every episode.

I can't fathom hating a show but coming back for more week after week. I really didn't like Rings of Power. I tried to watch it and gave up after 3 episodes. I'm not watching any more and certainly not complaining about it. It wasn't for me and that's it. I moved on.

Generally, agree, but there is a difference between watching a stand alone show and watching a show that is part of a franchise.

Sometimes people complain about something because they love the franchise (or sport) and hate the direction that it is going. Going to a message board to complain about it sometimes the only outlet people have to voice their displeasure or frustration about something they've invested in or care about.

Fans can love Aggie football or Star Wars or Marvel and hate the season or show, but still watch to see what is going on, complain about something because it is problematic, because they care. To shout down all complaints with "Quit watching" makes sense if that person isn't already historically invested. There is a big difference between watching She-Hulk if you've watched all the other Marvel content on Disney+ and watching Netflix's GirlBoss and stopping 1.5 episodes in.

(I liked She-Hulk and appreciate the attempt on the finale and liked it at the time although I can appreciate the problems people have with it)

Ghost of Bisbee
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

I felt like the ending made me realize why Jen kind of sucks as a character. She's very into herself and selfish. It's all about *my* show and what *I* want with her. Like in the very beginning with Bruce. She wasn't interested in a lot of what he had to say because she was too concerned with how she wanted things to be. In the finale, it's all about getting the ending she wants. Screw what viewers might want or how the show fits into the wider universe, this is *her* show about *her*. There's never a thought to the fact that the show is for The viewers and funded by Marvel/Disney. *****, you get a show because of other people, but you don't care about what's in it for them.

Also, her dating thing. "I want men to like me for Jen," completely ignores the other side of the relationship. Does she never stop to think it might be awkward for a guy to date a woman who changes from frumpy to hulk lawyer and not maybe have a preference? She's cool about using her hulkness to her advantage, but you're seemingly a **** if you want she-hulk instead of normal Jen because you don't want her for her.

And ultimately, she didn't really learn anything or change at all. She basically got everything she wanted because she threw a tantrum.

I liked the series up until the finale. I get what they were maybe trying to do, but they missed pretty hard IMO.

There is a lot of truth to this

Haven't seen more polar opposite reactions for a marvel show until this series
-Ben There/R.C.
Not a Bot
AG
I just managed to get through this. Effects were CW-worthy, maybe. I was confused by the tone. Was I supposed to take it seriously or not?
The Porkchop Express
Private PoopyPants said:

I just managed to get through this. Effects were CW-worthy, maybe. I was confused by the tone. Was I supposed to take it seriously or not?
The entire thing was a satire of the superhero genre and Marvel.
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
TCTTS
AG
I've never understood the effects critique with this show. There were maybe three shots in the entire run that looked iffy to me, like when it was a full body shot and she was walking around a corner or was walking through a random outdoor space. I thought everything else looked incredible (no pun intended), and I was consistently blown away by how photorealistic she was, her facial expressions, etc. I thought they absolutely nailed that aspect.
PatAg
AG
Private PoopyPants said:

Thank you for your service
tysker
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

Private PoopyPants said:

The entire thing was a satire of the superhero genre and Marvel.
I kind of hope you're wrong. I really liked that it was comedic, legal show set in the MCU with a somewhat reluctant and relatable superhero that has flaws and considerations outside of saving the world all the time. The last episode may have been satire but if the whole was, then all of the other parts including Wong, Abomination, and even Intelligencia are just caricatures, which somewhat takes away from their relevance.

My biggest issue with the finale was the writers seemed to out smarted themselves in a Charlie Kaufman meets modern Andy Kaufman sort of way. It almost changed the tone of the entire serious

eta: i really enjoyed the finale, but understand why it didnt hit for so many
MBAR
AG
I'm honestly amazed at people who keep watching a show they don't like just to go online and complain about it and their lack of self awareness with this shows contents. Don't ya'll have families and friends to spend time with instead? Any hobbies? Its wild.
schmendeler
AG
I enjoyed it pretty much all around. The least believable part was a woman looking like Jen having a problem getting attention from a man.
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
MBAR said:

I'm honestly amazed at people who keep watching a show they don't like just to go online and complain about it and their lack of self awareness with this shows contents. Don't ya'll have families and friends to spend time with instead? Any hobbies? Its wild.

If people think it's ruining the marvel brand, it's gonna get a lot of complaints, justifiably so
-Ben There/R.C.
Not a Bot
AG
MBAR said:

I don't think this was referring to me, but for me I didn't hate it. I was just confused by it. I think there's some retconning going on about it being satire. I don't really get that tone until later in the season which is why I thought it was odd.

Writers were definitely reading online comments. The final episode reflects that. Didn't realize until reading things afterward that one of the online detractors was an almost carbon copy of a real YouTube channel. That's weird.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.
AustinAg2K
TCTTS said:

I've never understood the effects critique with this show. There were maybe three shots in the entire run that looked iffy to me, like when it was a full body shot and she was walking around a corner or was walking through a random outdoor space. I thought everything else looked incredible (no pun intended), and I was consistently blown away by how photorealistic she was, her facial expressions, etc. I thought they absolutely nailed that aspect.
I guess to each their own, but to my eyes the She-Hulk CGI doesn't look very good. To be honest, though, I'm not a big fan of the Hulk's CGI, either. I don't know that I've ever really seen a human CGI face that I like. The whole uncanny valley thing hits me.
schmendeler
AG
Quote:

Writers were definitely reading online comments. The final episode reflects that. Didn't realize until reading things afterward that one of the online detractors was an almost carbon copy of a real YouTube channel.
Or those goofy YouTube channels are so predicable that it doesn't take much to anticipate their lame hot takes?
Madmarttigan
AG
Her face was fine but her CGI movement was god awful.
Not a Bot
AG
schmendeler said:

Quote:

Writers were definitely reading online comments. The final episode reflects that. Didn't realize until reading things afterward that one of the online detractors was an almost carbon copy of a real YouTube channel.
Or those goofy YouTube channels are so predicable that it doesn't take much to anticipate their lame hot takes?
In the comics, Intelligencia was a group of geniuses that ended up being linked into the Beyonder showing up, which leads to Secret Wars. That's why I just thought it was odd the way they were portrayed in this show.

This particular "Intelligencia" group was written as a group of misogynist internet troll incels. Their costumes were similar to a satirical character named "Doomcock," who posts on YouTube on the Overlord DVDchannel (although both seem to have modeled after Dr. Doom). They moderated the Intelligencia voices to make them sound similar to Doomcock. It was kind of a middle finger to that guy or groups of similar people, IMO.

That being said, Dr. Doom was part of Intelligencia and Doomcock is a sendup of Dr. Doom, so that could explain the similarity (maybe in this version the Intelligencia are Dr. Doom minions who like to dress like him). But the vocal tone and tone of the videos were very similar to Doomcock and given Doomcock likes to try to leak Disney stuff I can't help but think they built the character design around him.

I just thought given where the MCU is apparently headed (Secret Wars?) that they wouldn't be as satirical with that group, but I don't know. I just thought it was weird.
The Porkchop Express
I'm not wrong. It took a satirical look at just about every superhero trope there is, plus all of the complaints that are most prevalent on the Internet like Marvel has the same formula for every single show and women superheroes are being made to look more powerful than men.

Just think of the first episode and how much it made light of common superhero movie/TV show plot points.

1) Superhero happens to have family member get similar powers
2) Scene where person gets their powers is totally ridiculous (car crash caused by alien spaceship)
3) Person blacks out, wakes up as superhero
4) Person struggles to use powers at first, then uses them perfectly after a montage scene
5) Way too many act totally normal after person acquires super powers.

It had lots of laughs, great cameos by Wong and Roth, but no one should have taken any part of the plot seriously or expected it to have some sort of high stakes ending. The show had a Asgardian shapeshifter impersonating Megan Thee Stallion for god's sakes. It was far and away my favorite show that Marvel has put out on D+.
AustinAg2K
So, does the finale make She-Hulk the strongest superhero? I mean, if she can just contact the writers and have them change the script, she will basically never lose.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
AustinAg2K said:

So, does the finale make She-Hulk the strongest superhero? I mean, if she can just contact the writers and have them change the script, she will basically never lose.

Deadpool still wins.
TCTTS
AG
AustinAg2K said:

Curious to see if she appears in any other MCU entries, or if she's meant to exist in her own little meta corner. If the latter, I think she's basically meant to be a Deadpool-like novelty "outside" of the traditional MCU. But if she shows up the Daredevil series or any other movies, the answer to this question could be pretty interesting.
jeffk
AG
I bet she shows up in future D+ shows and maybe even films at some point. But without the fourth wall breaking dynamic. That's a part of her solo character, if that makes sense. And that's pretty much how they handle that in comics too. If it's a She-Hulk named comic (Deadpool too), you can expect that weirdness. If it's someone else's titled material, they're just the flatter versions of themselves.
AustinAg2K
TCTTS said:

AustinAg2K said:

Curious to see if she appears in any other MCU entries, or if she's meant to exist in her own little meta corner. If the latter, I think she's basically meant to be a Deadpool-like novelty "outside" of the traditional MCU. But if she shows up the Daredevil series or any other movies, the answer to this question could be pretty interesting.

I hope she doesn't show up in the Daredevil series. She will completely ruin the tone of the show. Daredevil isn't some quirky rom com. It would be like if Ally McBeal showed up on Breaking Bad. She-Hulk needs to stay in her own world. In fact, I prefer to think of her show as not part of the MCU, but just a side project. I feel like it works better that way.
dave94
AG
Private PoopyPants said:

MBAR said:

Writers were definitely reading online comments. The final episode reflects that. Didn't realize until reading things afterward that one of the online detractors was an almost carbon copy of a real YouTube channel. That's weird.

How long ago were these episodes written, shot and post-produced?
ABATTBQ11
AG
AustinAg2K said:

Thor: "I'm the god of thunder."

She-Hulk: "I'm going to have the writers make your next movie 90 minutes of naked."

Thor: "I don't do movies. I'm the god of thunder, not an actor."

She-Hulk: "You keep thinking that."
jeffk
AG
AustinAg2K said:

I hope she doesn't show up in the Daredevil series. She will completely ruin the tone of the show. Daredevil isn't some quirky rom com. It would be like if Ally McBeal showed up on Breaking Bad. She-Hulk needs to stay in her own world. In fact, I prefer to think of her show as not part of the MCU, but just a side project. I feel like it works better that way.

I really do think we need to temper our expectations for Daredevil, Punisher, and the rest of the Netflix series heroes moving forward. I just don't think that level of grittiness and violence is in the cards for them now that they're back in the Disney-controlled fold.
tysker
AG
If the entire show was satire who was the target of the satire? The characters, the MCU, the tropes? Probably just semantics but the (un)intended effect of satire is to soften, demystify, or even delegitimize the target. If it was satire, then those same characters and tropes and maybe even the the MCU can no longer be taken seriously, can it? The other issue is that during the finale, the main character breaks the fourth wall and looks at the audience and tells us that the scenario and the fight scene are dumb, which is totally inline with the character and tone of the show. But then, for all those viewers that would have preferred a smash 'em up fight scene instead, its easily construed that the audience was the target of the satire, and maybe our taste as the audience is delegitimate in the view of the writers and the MCU. I think show was more parody than satire and will remain nave that the writers outsmarted themselves and accidently wrote themselves into a Kaufman-esque meditation on the inevitability that their work is generally written for the general public which includes lots of dumb people.
schmendeler
AG
The satire seemed self-directed. I mean they cast the architect of the entire MCU as a robot doing everything as a calculation trying to get the best reaction.
Gigem314
AG
AustinAg2K said:

MBAR
AG
Private PoopyPants said:

MBAR said:

Nah writers know what the online comments were going to be because some people are incredibly predictable when it comes to 1) what they say, 2) when they say it, and 3) about what they'll say it. I've had discussions with people on this site where we've predicted what various other posters will say because after seeing a film its so obvious what will trigger them.
tysker
AG
schmendeler said:

The satire seemed self-directed. I mean they cast the architect of the entire MCU as a robot doing everything as a calculation trying to get the best reaction.
Which the main character criticizes and devalues, and by proxy also devalues the audience's attachment and responses to those products. So again are they making fun of themselves within MCU or us as viewers who have an attachment to these characters and stories?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.