Severance (Apple TV)

38,848 Views | 286 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by Sex Panther
BenTheGoodAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Now that looks interesting. Somehow, the nefarious opening shot of the Lumon megacampus strikes me as ironic considering this is an Apple production.
Engine10
AG
That's my kinda mind****. I'm in. Been enjoying the ATV content beyond Ted Lasso more than I thought I would!
2008and1
AG
Looks intriguing for sure.
BenTheGoodAg
AG
New Trailer

amercer
AG
Looks cool. Wonder if they can keep the mystery box going for more than one season
TXAGFAN
AG
Anyone watching this?
tk for tu juan
Not yet, still trying to disconnect my own work week before watching this show
TXAGFAN
AG
tk for tu juan said:

Not yet, still trying to disconnect my own work week before watching this show
Yeah I don't know that I'm wild about watching a tv show about work. Trailer looks interesting and initial reviews are favorable.
cr0wbar
AG
Started this on a whim the other day - enjoying it so far. Episode 3 drops on Friday
TRD-Ferguson
AG
We tried to watch it tonight but gave up after about 15 minutes. Really slow start it seems. Not much to draw us in.
TCTTS
AG
One of the best pilots I've seen in a long time. Super inventive conceit, executed in slick fashion, that really maximizes the mystery. I can't remember the last sci-fi-ish show to pull me in like this. Stiller really nails the look and tone, too. Can't wait to see where it goes.
The Dog Lord
AG
We watched the first 2 episodes and are looking forward to the next one.
Sazerac
AG
Pretty meh for me so far.
But I've never liked the lead actor.
TCTTS
AG
All caught up, through episode three, and this show continues to be damn good. It's such a cool mindf/ck. There's a hint of Lost intrigue (Desmond on the Swan computer, us wondering what the hell is going on) mixed with a bit of Counterpoint (two versions of the same person), but more contained/creepy than both, and built around such a great mystery. So, so curious to see where it's all going.
TCTTS
AG
That said, two technical questions...

1) How do the Innie versions know what movies, oceans, dentists, etc even are? Those are all things each of them have mentioned so far (along with a ton of other Outie objects/experiences), and I'm just wondering if I missed a line of dialogue or something that further explains how this whole thing works. The Innies obviously know English from the jump, so I'm assuming knowledge is different than memory? Still, how can you picture in your minds eye what a dentist is, but not remember ever seeing one? I guess those are just completely different parts of the brain?

2) How do the Innie versions not go insane from a never-ending existence of work? Like Helly said, to them, they're *always* at work, and it sounds like there's no feeling of hours-long sleep/extended unconsciousness in between work days. Yes, they can feel refreshed from sleep, but to an Innie, at the end of the day, it sounds like they get on the elevator, start going down, and then, in a blink, they're suddenly going up in the elevator the next day for a new day of work. If so, wouldn't they go batsh/t insane without experiencing any kind of down time/time away from the office? It's basically a never-ending work day that lasts years and years, and I don't know if I can think of anything more horrifying. So how do Innies stay so chipper?

Granted, neither of these things ruin my enjoyment of the show by any means, and I'm guessing the answers basically boil down to "don't think about it," I'm just wondering if I happened to miss any additional explainer lines.
Garrelli 5000
AG

Quote:

wouldn't they go batsh/t insane without experiencing any kind of down time/time away from the office?

I've only watched the first two but I feel this is where they're heading for at least one of the story lines.

My wife hit the eject button after 2 episodes - waayyy too slow for her. I'll have to add this to the never ending list of stuff to watch by myself.
Take the trash out staff.
GreasenUSA
AG
TCTTS said:

That said, two technical questions...

1) How do the Innie versions know what movies, oceans, dentists, etc even are? Those are all things each of them have mentioned so far (along with a ton of other Outie objects/experiences), and I'm just wondering if I missed a line of dialogue or something that further explains how this whole thing works. The Innies obviously know English from the jump, so I'm assuming knowledge is different than memory? Still, how can you picture in your minds eye what a dentist is, but not remember ever seeing one? I guess those are just completely different parts of the brain?

2) How do the Innie versions not go insane from a never-ending existence of work? Like Helly said, to them, they're *always* at work, and it sounds like there's no feeling of hours-long sleep/extended unconsciousness in between work days. Yes, they can feel refreshed from sleep, but to an Innie, at the end of the day, it sounds like they get on the elevator, start going down, and then, in a blink, they're suddenly going up in the elevator the next day for a new day of work. If so, wouldn't they go batsh/t insane without experiencing any kind of down time/time away from the office? It's basically a never-ending work day that lasts years and years, and I don't know if I can think of anything more horrifying. So how do Innies stay so chipper?

Granted, neither of these things ruin my enjoyment of the show by any means, and I'm guessing the answers basically boil down to "don't think about it," I'm just wondering if I happened to miss any additional explainer lines.

1) I am assuming it works somewhere along the same way that an amnesia works. You understand the world, but your interpersonal connections are all severed.

2) On the flipside, what about the outtie version also going crazy from feeling like there is no purpose in life? People derive pride and accomplishment from their work, and essentially the outties only know a life of leisure.
TCTTS
AG
I like the amnesia comparison. Good call.

As for the Outie experience, if you had a job you truly disliked, I think it would probably be awesome for the first few months/years. You wouldn't have to dread work, take work with home with you, etc, and could essentially devote all of your brainpower/passion to your family/home/hobbies, with just a quick drive to and from an office everyday being your only real commitment. But yeah, in the long run, I could see the no-purpose thing come into play for sure, for people who are wired like that. I think the trick would just be always having home projects or hobbies or even a "side hustle" that you devote yourself to.
cr0wbar
AG
Man, tonight's episode ratcheted things up a notch. This is getting weird, and I like it
BQ2001
AG
Mark did mention that the innies don't experience sleep, but they can focus on the feeling of being refreshed when they come to work.

I love shows like this, slow burn and just off enough to keep me guessing. This weeks episode just expanded the crazy world of the innies.
TCTTS
AG
Super weird, but yeah, so good too. Absolutely loving this show.
TCTTS
AG
Good point, but it still feels like they'd need more than that to stay sane.
YouBet
AG
I'm starting to wonder if Patricia Arquette is actually a "good guy" and is trying to break Severance on purpose...from the inside. She seems to be doing enough to maintain her status, but is also being a little rogue with her practices in defiance of her own staff and the faceless board.

The Asian therapist gal almost seems like a robot. Literally. I'm going to assume she has been so brainwashed or lobotomized that she's effectively a robot.
tk for tu juan
Interesting scene at the end, were the modifications to keep them from roaming?
TCTTS
AG
I'm usually not a big fan of binging, but I'm so into this show, and so desperate to know what's going on, that all I want to do is binge the hell out of it. Every single episode hooks me more than the last, episode six more than ever.

That scene with Dylan in the closet was so wild, and then of course what a tease of an ending.

Such an all around great show that I wish more people were watching/talking about.
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, that's definitely the impression I got.
Saxsoon
AG
TCTTS said:

I'm usually not a big fan of binging, but I'm so into this show, and so desperate to know what's going on, that all I want to do is binge the hell out of it. Every single episode hooks me more than the last, episode six more than ever.

That scene with Dylan in the closet was so wild, and then of course what a tease of an ending.

Such an all around great show that I wish more people were watching/talking about.

It is really ****ing good
BQ2001
AG
Damn this show has me hooked hard.
Check out the book they just dropped. A short read that gives some background.
https://books.apple.com/us/book/severance/id1613220757
LMCane
when does the leftist sucker punch drop?
TXAGFAN
AG
LMCane said:

when does the leftist sucker punch drop?
Can just not watch tv, but seems like if you're looking for this can always find it and ruin the show.
TCTTS
AG
We've officially reached the point where these morons are now popping in to complain about the mere *possibility* of politics in an utterly apolitical show.
TXAGFAN
AG
TCTTS said:

We've officially reached the point where these morons are now popping in to complain about the mere *possibility* of politics in an utterly apolitical show.
No comment other than to say I agree with you.
GreasenUSA
AG
Can't go anywhere on Texags anymore without MFBarnes trolling around.
TCTTS
AG
Wow. Wow. Wow.

The second Cobel asked Mark's sister if Mark ever sees his wife around - in what we think is a hallucinatory/mourning-type way - I knew she was still alive. I just didn't think she'd be someone we already knew. What an incredible twist.

Even before that moment, though, this episode had me hooked, and was fantastic from top to bottom. Feels like so much just changed.

It almost pisses me off, though, that this show isn't dominating social media or water coolers or whatever right now. About halfway through this episode it hit me that this is the first post-Lost series to truly hook me in nearly the same way Lost did. I'm just so damn intrigued by the mystery of it all, can't wait for them to keep peeling back the layers, and am baffled as to how it hasn't caught on more or why this thread isn't on fire every week. Don't get me wrong, it seems like it's doing well enough, and reviews are all great, I just think it deserves so much more attention.

Anyway, I can't wait to see where these final two episodes go. And to be clear, they're the final two of the season - not the series - as season two is apparently about to start filming.
TCTTS
AG
Oh, and "You smug motherf/cker" / "Let's burn this place to the ground" were just amazing line deliveries from Turturro. I love this cast so much.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.