Dave Chappelle

33,533 Views | 232 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by LMCane
JCA1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Is it just me or is this just as simple as comedians dislike anybody who proclaim they cannot be the butt of a joke? I don't think it matters what group they fall in, it's the mentality.
Kellso
JCA1 said:

Is it just me or is this just as simple as comedians dislike anybody who proclaim they cannot be the butt of a joke? I don't think it matters what group they fall in, it's the mentality.
This.

Its a gigantic sense of entitlement.

Many comedians are getting pissed at the arrogance of white liberals. Its A-OK to make fun of white people...as long as its the right kind of white people.....Trump voters and racist folks from the sticks.

But these protected class of people?

Off limits.
You can't make fun of their mental disorder because it might hurt their feelings.
PatAg
AG
Dr. Mephisto said:

Dave is one of the last brave commedians out there.

Dave.

Bill Burr.

Norm McDonald before he got called upstairs to better gigs.

Anthony Jeselnik
AustinAg2K
Dr. Mephisto said:

Dave.

Bill Burr.

Is he? I feel like nearly every comedian complains about cancel culture. Even Seinfeld complains about it, and he doesn't really do anything controversial in his acts. Maybe it's just the kind of comedians I watch, but complaining about cancel culture has been pretty common for a couple of years now.

I do feel like it's fair to say stand up comedy is one of the few places where people aren't afraid to stand up to cancel culture. Even those that are pretty left leaning realize it's ridiculous.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
AustinAg2K said:

Dr. Mephisto said:

Dave.

Bill Burr.

Is he? I feel like nearly every comedian complains about cancel culture. Even Seinfeld complains about it, and he doesn't really do anything controversial in his acts. Maybe it's just the kind of comedians I watch, but complaining about cancel culture has been pretty common for a couple of years now.

I do feel like it's fair to say stand up comedy is one of the few places where people aren't afraid to stand up to cancel culture. Even those that are pretty left leaning realize it's ridiculous.

It's also a function of having people try to heckle in actual shows because they don't agree with the politeness of the joke. So bringing up cancel culture and making fun of it early is a way to help get everyone settled down and nip that stuff in the bud. Similar to how most of the time they open up with making fun of the town they are in, to start getting buy-in.
Madmarttigan
AG
There is a difference between complaining about cancel culture just to complain and complaining about it and then saying what you want to say anyways. Yeah a lot of comedians complain about it but they are still scared to step outside the lines. Kevin Hart got hit pretty hard with cancel culture so you can tell he mostly keeps it tame.

I'm not mister Merica freedom guy over here but it's getting to the point where it hinders freedom of thought, speech, discussion because people don't want to get caught up in a ****storm of internet idiots.

Mulberrywildman
AG
You get what you vote for, that's how it has always worked...
Claude!
Mulberrywildman said:

You get what you vote for, that's how it has always worked...
Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.

--H. L. Mencken
Madmarttigan
AG
I'm pretty sure insane people on the internet have been cancelling people with both Trump and Biden.
Inca
AG
I just watched (mostly listened) to this special and I don't understand what all the uproar is about. I didn't think anything he said was that bad, taken in context and realizing it is Dave Chappelle.
watty
AG
Man, I don't know what special some of you watched. Not the same one I watched. This one was hilarious! Tons of huge laughs for me. This was probably the best of all his recent work. Not just the humor, but the commentary. The stuff he said, it needs to be said. His points are getting continually proven. He IS brave. Absolutely. He is a master of crafting a coherent, meaningful comedy set. I don't even agree with a lot of what he says, but everything he says, every last bit, is thought out, and it is all said with honesty and intention. This special was very funny. But it was so much more than just funny. I don't care if comedy has meaning behind it. But this comedy did, and it resonated.

Also I just marvel at his technical skill. That performance, his ability to write and perform with such ease, is a master class in stage presence and performance. He's a rare talent.
Stat Monitor Repairman

Classic Dave
Stat Monitor Repairman

Gold here.
Stat Monitor Repairman
RikkiTikkaTagem
AG
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

Another Doug
AG
So a boycott where no one is vocally boycotting. Surely this isn't manufactured contraversary just to get people to watch the show.
Stat Monitor Repairman
If you a comedy writer, boycotting Dave seems like a bad idea.
Madmarttigan
AG
Pretty sure Chappelle and JK Rowling are doing just fine despite the trans community trying and failing to tear them down.
Formerly tv1113
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
If Dave writes the sketches, I will definitely be watching. This season has been a definite step down from last season in regards to the writing.
JCA1
AG
Madmarttigan said:

Pretty sure Chappelle and JK Rowling are doing just fine despite the trans community trying and failing to tear them down.
I'm sure they are but that's somewhat beside the point. There's a chilling effect for those that don't have millions of dollars and the requisite independence to take on the mob. The result of this would be the only people who truly feel free to exercise their free speech are those who are multi-millionaires and who are at a point in their life where they can withstand it. I don't want to see free speech relegated solely to millionaires who DGAF.
Madmarttigan
AG
The funny part is I really just don't understand why Chappelle is getting railed on about it. I've watched all of his stuff and it is largely pretty tame. Maybe I haven't seen the worst of it but his recent specials I really don't remember anything that outrageous. Nothing worse than normal comedian stereotypes and jokes about race/gender/sexuality.

I understand JK Rowling more but from what I can see I think the Chappelle hate is purely based on the fact that he refuses to give a **** about pandering to them.
Formerly tv1113
bluefire579
AG
Why do people post images with headlines instead of actual articles with quotes? It's not that hard, and headlines literally never tell the whole story.

https://pagesix.com/2022/11/09/snl-writers-boycott-over-dave-chappelle-hosting-the-show/
Quote:

Chappelle was at 30 Rock on Tuesday meeting with writers and producers and his rep told us "there was no evidence of a boycott."

"The room was full of writers. They all pitched ideas and they seemed very excited about it…. Dave is looking to have some fun," they told us.
Even if one or two of the writers is boycotting, as is suggested in the article, the bulk of them are not, the cast is not, and he's still hosting. This is the very definition of non story
PatAg
AG
I have an idea which 2-3 writers might have a problem
Know Your Enemy
AG
bluefire579 said:

Why do people post images with headlines instead of actual articles with quotes? It's not that hard, and headlines literally never tell the whole story.

https://pagesix.com/2022/11/09/snl-writers-boycott-over-dave-chappelle-hosting-the-show/
Quote:

Chappelle was at 30 Rock on Tuesday meeting with writers and producers and his rep told us "there was no evidence of a boycott."

"The room was full of writers. They all pitched ideas and they seemed very excited about it…. Dave is looking to have some fun," they told us.
Even if one or two of the writers is boycotting, as is suggested in the article, the bulk of them are not, the cast is not, and he's still hosting. This is the very definition of non story
BUT THE LIBS ARE TRYING TO RUIN MY GOOD FRIEND DAVID CHAPPELLE'S LIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIFE
Another Doug
AG
Tell us more about when your free speech rights have been infringed.
Stive
AG
JCA1 said:

Madmarttigan said:

I'm sure they are but that's somewhat beside the point. There's a chilling effect for those that don't have millions of dollars and the requisite independence to take on the mob. The result of this would be the only people who truly feel free to exercise their free speech are those who are multi-millionaires and who are at a point in their life where they can withstand it. I don't want to see free speech relegated solely to millionaires who DGAF.

In what ways have poor people's free speech been taken away?

I'm thinking you may be missing how this works but fully admit that maybe I'm missing your point.
Quad Dog
AG
bluefire579 said:

Quote:

We all have free speech, but the rich have the resources to pay the consequences of their speech, regardless of what they say. Which has been the case forever.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Still blows my mind that they still going after Dave.

He's dismantled all of their arguments over the course of a few Netflix specials but they still after it.
Trajan88
AG
"World Series of Dice" made Ashy Larry a star.
TexasAggies06
AG
Quote:

After the announcement, "SNL" writer Celeste Yim reportedly wrote on Instagram Stories: "I'm trans and non-binary. I use they/them pronouns. Transphobia is murder and it should be condemned."
Stat Monitor Repairman
Damn.

Dave knocked it out of the park with that SNL monologue. Damn.

And all that stuff was recent, so it ain't like he had been working on it for a long time.

The whole set was as polished as a special.

You got to wonder if Dave was flexing with that opening monologue. Seemed like he went out there and did an entire set.

Some of the show is taped, but you got to wonder if that was live. If it was Dave had them by the balls.

Seemed like he was daring somebody to **** with him. That's just the sense that I got.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Quote:

Do you feel that, because this is a Netflix special, that comedy about this topic perhaps balances out what Dave Chappelle has been saying about trans people in his specials?

Um, I don't know about balancing it out, because I think what he said was so hurtful and damaging to the trans community. So yeah, the scale is still tipped, I will say, in their favor. But I know I wanted to say something, because so much has been said on that platform. I definitely want to something on the other side of it.
Instead of trying to be funnier, Wanda Sykes coming after the goat.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
If it's funny, I won't care. If it's not, it will be no different eye rolling.

I prefer a comedian going for laughs than for applause. That's the issue with a lot of comedy nowadays.
Stat Monitor Repairman

They so mad at Dave now they got cousin pookie accusing him of being a clone.
maroon barchetta
WTH

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.