Dave Chappelle

33,551 Views | 232 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by LMCane
CrawfordAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
250 was my borderline price point, 350 is like eff you we sold out at 250 last week in 10 minutes...have a feeling that they're going to keep resting price points until demand slows.
johnnyblaze36
AG
lazuras_dc said:

Ended up grabbing tix for 1/22 chappelle/rogan. Anyone else been to the December shows ? Or get tix for January?
I tried at 9:59 am on Saturday for 1/23. Sold out in less than 5 seconds. Quickly chose another date and it was sold out. I think all ten January shows sold out in less than 10 seconds. Frustrating. But it saved me about a grand. The prices are outrageous.
lazuras_dc
AG
johnnyblaze36 said:

lazuras_dc said:

Ended up grabbing tix for 1/22 chappelle/rogan. Anyone else been to the December shows ? Or get tix for January?
I tried at 9:59 am on Saturday for 1/23. Sold out in less than 5 seconds. Quickly chose another date and it was sold out. I think all ten January shows sold out in less than 10 seconds. Frustrating. But it saved me about a grand. The prices are outrageous.

One trick I've heard - If you have the time - keep refreshing every 5-10 minutes over the next hour either 1) the site drops ticket availability over a certain amount of time or 2) bc people will have multiple groups trying at once. And say a 3 people successfully get the date they want , then two end up canceling or timing out , those tickets go back on sale.

Tobias Funke
AG
lazuras_dc said:

Friend of mine was able to score a table for 8 on 12/12, and I went with them.

Rogan's set was fantastic- better than I anticipated.
Dave was exactly what you'd expect: hilarious, poignant, meandering, and incredible confident:

Both of them, plus the two openers (including Ashy Larry!) went really hard against cancel culture, trans-people, and a few other topics. That in itself I am totally great with, but after four straight acts kind of talking about the same thing it got a little old. Dave's set was very similar to his last standup special, but still great.

Things got weird in the encore. It was supposed to be Dave and Joe on stage together just riffing back and forth, but:
1) Dave was absolutely hammered on tequila and still pounding it
2) Joe was more stoned than I've ever seen somebody in my life, literally to the point where he couldn't talk. He stood on stage holding the mic to his mouth, but just stared into the lights and sweated profusely. Not sure what kind of mix and how much of it he had done, but it did not make for good standup comedy.

All in all, really enjoyed it and I guess it was worth $300 with fees, but I wouldn't pay that again. Definitely not the $400 they are now asking, which seems kind of shameless but hey more power to them.
johnnyblaze36
AG
It was probably the DMT.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Dave got that lung Aids.

https://www.tmz.com/2021/01/21/dave-chappelle-positive-test-covid-19-cancel-show/
Stat Monitor Repairman

This is worth the 2 mins to watch.
Petrino1
New Netflix Chappelle special came out yesterday. I just watched it.

It was decent, lots of chuckles, but very few laugh out loud moments. He basically spends an entire hour talking about (and making fun of) the LGBTQ community and his interactions with them. I've already seen a few journalists trash the special and say it's offensive.

Not his best standup, but worth the watch if you're a Chappelle fan. Probably his worst netflix special IMO.
Madmarttigan
AG
I appreciate chapelle for being one of the few comedians to fight back against cancel culture and say whatever is on his mind. It probably also has something to do with the fact that he is at the top so people will watch no matter what but I think everyone is sick of the cancel culture and eye rollingly stupid media lashings for any little thing they do.

Will always support Chappelle for encouraging comedic freedom even if you don't agree with his politics sometimes.
Petrino1
tv1113 said:

I appreciate chapelle for being one of the few comedians to fight back against cancel culture and say whatever is on his mind. It probably also has something to do with the fact that he is at the top so people will watch no matter what but I think everyone is sick of the cancel culture and eye rollingly stupid media lashings for any little thing they do.

Will always support Chappelle for encouraging comedic freedom even if you don't agree with his politics sometimes.
I totally agree, Im glad Chapelle speaks out against cancel culture. I agree with him. But at the same time, I dont want to hear him complain about cancel culture for an hour lol. Its like the comedian who has an entire set full of Trump jokes, like ok we get it.

I like Dave's earlier non-netflix specials way more than his netflix ones.
FancyKetchup14
AG
ea1060 said:

tv1113 said:

I totally agree, Im glad Chapelle speaks out against cancel culture. I agree with him. But at the same time, I dont want to hear him complain about cancel culture for an hour lol. Its like the comedian who has an entire set full of Trump jokes, like ok we get it.

"Killin' Them Softly" might go down as the greatest stand up of all-time.
Petrino1
FancyKetchup14 said:

ea1060 said:

tv1113 said:

"Killin' Them Softly" might go down as the greatest stand up of all-time.
100%. Killin Them Softly is 10x better than all of his recent netflix specials, its like night and day. Just pure laugh out loud comedy. Same goes for kevin hart, his earlier specials were hilarious. His recent specials are blah.
cajunaggie08
AG
I imagine writing stand up is kind of like writing a music album. You have your whole life to create your early material. If it is great, now you are held up to that standard from that point on, but you are expected to put that material out in a quicker turn around time. Putting out 6 specials in 5 years is a lot of material in a short amount of time. There will definitely be some clunkers in there.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
He's done the same special four times in a row now. After a while, it's becomes boring to listen to a grown man complain about being canceled again and again. This is coming from a huge Dave fan. Like bruh, get over it.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
cajunaggie08 said:

I imagine writing stand up is kind of like writing a music album. You have your whole life to create your early material. If it is great, now you are held up to that standard from that point on, but you are expected to put that material out in a quicker turn around time. Putting out 6 specials in 5 years is a lot of material in a short amount of time. There will definitely be some clunkers in there.

Yeah, the main difference being that good comics now are starting over from scratch with a new routine as soon as the Netflix special is out. Whereas musicians write the album first, then play it live for the next 2-3 years. Another big thing is that I can write a song that doesn't really fit on an album, and hold on to it until I have an album it will work on. Jokes are much harder to do that with, for a variety of reasons.
Petrino1
Head Ninja In Charge said:

He's done the same special four times in a row now. After a while, it's becomes boring to listen to a grown man complain about being canceled again and again. This is coming from a huge Dave fan. Like bruh, get over it.
Agreed, its basically the same material as the last few specials. Also, he loves talking about how great he is and how hes the best comic alive. Seems like the success went straight to his head. While he might be a great comic, Ive never seen Chris Rock, Seinfeld etc talk about how great they are.
cajunaggie08
AG
Very true. Almost no one who goes to a stand up show wants to see them do the material from the last special they saw. You need new material for the tour and perhaps that can be used for the next special.
JYDog90
AG
Netflix paid him $60 million, he's mailed it in. It's natural. I just saw this yesterday from another artist:

Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Willy Wonka said:

Netflix paid him $60 million, he's mailed it in. It's natural. I just saw this yesterday from another artist:

So his point is that he wants to live in a world where artists are paid nothing, right?
RikkiTikkaTagem
AG
Willy Wonka said:

Yet, right there in the tweet is photographic evidence of somebody studying it intently.
AustinAg2K
ea1060 said:

Agreed, its basically the same material as the last few specials. Also, he loves talking about how great he is and how hes the best comic alive. Seems like the success went straight to his head. While he might be a great comic, Ive never seen Chris Rock, Seinfeld etc talk about how great they are.
When Chapelle talks about how great he is, it's usually kind of tongue in cheek. It's usually a joke where he's basically saying, "I can get away with this because I'm famous."

Anyways, I think I've seen all his televised specials, including random YouTube stuff, and I would have to say this was probably his worst body of work. Nothing was really laugh out loud funny, and honestly after watching it yesterday, I don't really remember much from it. The amount of time he spent on LGBTQ in this special was really overkill. Although, I'm not really sure any one joke was super offensive, doing a whole hour of LGBTQ jokes was a bit much. Also, I felt like his story at the end was kind of like a white dude saying, "See, I'm not racist. I have a black friend!"

At this point, even though I think Dave has a strong claim to be the GOAT, I don't think he's the best out there currently. I think Bill Burr's last couple of specials have been better than Dave's.
Petrino1
AustinAg2K said:

ea1060 said:

When Chapelle talks about how great he is, it's usually kind of tongue in cheek. It's usually a joke where he's basically saying, "I can get away with this because I'm famous."

Anyways, I think I've seen all his televised specials, including random YouTube stuff, and I would have to say this was probably his worst body of work. Nothing was really laugh out loud funny, and honestly after watching it yesterday, I don't really remember much from it. The amount of time he spent on LGBTQ in this special was really overkill. Although, I'm not really sure any one joke was super offensive, doing a whole hour of LGBTQ jokes was a bit much. Also, I felt like his story at the end was kind of like a white dude saying, "See, I'm not racist. I have a black friend!"

At this point, even though I think Dave has a strong claim to be the GOAT, I don't think he's the best out there currently. I think Bill Burr's last couple of specials have been better than Dave's.
I genuinely believes he means it when he says hes the greatest. I forget which special it was when he was like "Im so good at this I can say anything I want and you people will laugh regardless." He is right.

Totally agree with your second paragraph, I dont remember much from the special. It seemed like he just kind of made everything up on the fly. He was just freestyling a special with stream of consciousness rambling and stories about his experiences with LGBTQ people. And honestly hes good enough and talented enough where he can get away with that.

I agree, the Daphne story at the end was a bit too much, and seemed forced.
Pepper Brooks
AG
Agree that this one felt very similar to the last couple. However, the joke comparing trans lady parts to beyond meat/impossible burger got a big LOL out of me.
AgPediRPh
AG
"For Norm"
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Space Jews
JimboKearn
Chappelle's still top 3 all-time as far as I'm concerned. He may not be as funny as he used to be, but that's a hell of a tall order.
Gramercy Riffs
AG
The Daphne story wasn't forced, nor was it a bit much, nor was it akin to an "I have a black friend" moment. He told that same story in person at one of his Austin shows, just days after her death. He was visibly upset at the time, and his comments at the end of his last special were genuine.

I'm not exactly sure what people want from Dave anymore. It's like you're all expecting Chappelle Show to play out on stage. His shows aren't like that these days, and that's fine. He's not just up there to make you laugh. He's an entertainer, sure, but that goes way beyond telling jokes. I've never left one of his performances without something new to think about, or a different perspective on an old topic, along with the obvious funny comments thrown in.

Over the last few years, we've seen exactly who he is. If someone wants the 2005 version, there are plenty of episodes to rewatch.

I enjoyed this special as much as any other, for exactly what it was and what it wasn't.
Petrino1
Gramercy Riffs said:

The Daphne story wasn't forced, nor was it a bit much, nor was it akin to an "I have a black friend" moment. He told that same story in person at one of his Austin shows, just days after her death. He was visibly upset at the time, and his comments at the end of his last special were genuine.

I'm not exactly sure what people want from Dave anymore. It's like you're all expecting Chappelle Show to play out on stage. His shows aren't like that these days, and that's fine. He's not just up there to make you laugh. He's an entertainer, sure, but that goes way beyond telling jokes. I've never left one of his performances without something new to think about, or a different perspective on an old topic, along with the obvious funny comments thrown in.

Over the last few years, we've seen exactly who he is. If someone wants the 2005 version, there are plenty of episodes to rewatch.

I enjoyed this special as much as any other, for exactly what it was and what it wasn't.
I like hearing his perspective as well, but I dont think anyone wants to hear him talk about (and make fun of) his experiences with LGBTQ people for an entire standup special. Which is exactly what this special was about and his last few specials on Netflix. Surely he can come up with fresh material? It feels like hes just mailing it in and not even trying anymore.

I will offer a comparison, Chris Rock. His last special "Tambourine" was awesome. Hilarious, introspective, fresh, mature, new, but also that same Chris Rock humor that we have seen throughout his career. Ive watched it several times, and could keep watching it. He and his comedy has matured throughout the years, but he is still laugh out loud funny.

Dave Chappelle is one of my favorite comedians of all time, but I cant remember the last special where I laughed out loud the entire time or wanted to watch it again. All of his netflix specials have been decent, but not great.

For someone who calls himself one of the greats, we havent seen a classic standup special like "Raw", "Delirious", "Bring the Pain", "Bigger and Blacker", "Killin Them Softly" from him since, well, "Killin Them Softly" lol.
SgtBarbarossa
If I remember right, when Netflix made the 4-standups deal with Chappelle he said he just handed them 2 that he'd already recorded. Bam, half his contract fulfilled. He's past the point of caring about being fresh or innovative, he's getting paid and can coast on the good-will he's built up from his past comedies. If anything I respect him more for it.

RikkiTikkaTagem
AG
Maybe I'm wrong but I think Dave is done making mainstream comedy. I think he got tired of people coming up to him doing his bits and ruining them. He got tired of having to be a certain way all the time that wasn't himself and it led him to a bad place during his hiatus. He's in a special place right now where he is making jokes about stuff nobody else can make jokes about (gay and transgender stuff), speaking his mind and being unapologetically himself. Getting paid tens of millions is just a bonus. He's successful enough and rich enough now to select his fan base and basically still make an amazing living doing the comedy he wants to do.
Kellso
ea1060 said:

Gramercy Riffs said:

I like hearing his perspective as well, but I dont think anyone wants to hear him talk about (and make fun of) his experiences with LGBTQ people for an entire standup special. Which is exactly what this special was about and his last few specials on Netflix. Surely he can come up with fresh material? It feels like hes just mailing it in and not even trying anymore.

I will offer a comparison, Chris Rock. His last special "Tambourine" was awesome. Hilarious, introspective, fresh, mature, new, but also that same Chris Rock humor that we have seen throughout his career. Ive watched it several times, and could keep watching it. He and his comedy has matured throughout the years, but he is still laugh out loud funny.

Dave Chappelle is one of my favorite comedians of all time, but I cant remember the last special where I laughed out loud the entire time or wanted to watch it again. All of his netflix specials have been decent, but not great.

For someone who calls himself one of the greats, we havent seen a classic standup special like "Raw", "Delirious", "Bring the Pain", "Bigger and Blacker", "Killin Them Softly" from him since, well, "Killin Them Softly" lol.
Don't speak for everyone.
I enjoyed hearing Chappelle's perspective.
The Debt
Very boring show. Usually clever or delivers some insight. I loved every other special, his TV, and film work.

This ended up waving a white flag to his critics. What a coward.
Madmarttigan
AG
What on earth are you talking about
Formerly tv1113
The Debt
Madmarttigan said:

Closer.

It was a massive white flag to people who have been trying to ruin him.

But if that's not enough, the Clifford and Space Jews schticks were really really flat. It's like he didnt try any of this material out before doing this special. Completely phoned it in.
Petrino1
The Debt said:

Madmarttigan said:

Closer.

It was a massive white flag to people who have been trying to ruin him.

But if that's not enough, the Clifford and Space Jews schticks were really really flat. It's like he didnt try any of this material out before doing this special. Completely phoned it in.

Agreed. I'm a fan of racist and offensive jokes but that Space Jews joke wasn't very funny or good at all. Even the audience didn't really get it and slightly chuckled.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.