Dave Chappelle

33,587 Views | 232 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by LMCane
Psychag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The interview with Letterman on Netflix is very interesting. Very insightful guy.
PatAg
AG
Chappelle joined Joe Rogan's podcast he was doing with Donnelle for about an hour. Dave is just an entertaiing person, might actually get that full podcast in 2021 finally.
dave99ag
AG
PatAg said:

Chappelle joined Joe Rogan's podcast he was doing with Donnelle for about an hour. Dave is just an entertaiing person, might actually get that full podcast in 2021 finally.
BETTER BELIEVE IT, SON!
johnnyblaze36
AG
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

Donnell described Leon Bridges as a folk country singer from Louisiana. Wrong on all three accounts.

edit: How has Joe Rogan never heard of Stubb's when Chappelle tells him he'd just played there two nights in a row? That's seems very strange.
expresswrittenconsent
Fact checking Joe Rogan pod? Lol, why bother, its not like the guy deals in truth.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Grand opening, grand closing.
J182
AG
https://instagr.am/p/CH-rR9znT3g
👽
Azariah
AG
J-Quob said:

Can anyone summarize? I'm not in a spot to listen.
Dan Scott
AG
Basically Dave signed a bad deal with Comedy Central back then for Chapelle Show and now he's pissed about it
PatAg
AG
One interesting thing, Chappelle pitched his show to HBO before Comedy CEntral and not only did they decline they told him "what do we need you for?"

He didn't even really sign a bad deal, from what I can tell. He wasnt a kid, he was 28.
When he left in the 3rd season, whether he was righteous or not, he broke his contract. They still owned all the rights to the show, he didnt see any more money from it apparently. Not from the streaming, they own his name and likeness to keep using it, the name of the show. So when it went to Netflix and HBO for streaming, he didnt get any of the money.

He actually told a neat bit, that he was upset and went to Netflix to let them know. They offered to remove it from the site, and he thought that was great in addition to his previous dealings with them.

He wants people to not watch Chappelle's show as a 'F you" to Comedy Central until they pay him.
I'd say they are kind of doing him wrong, but again he wasn't some young 20 year old kid they took advantage of.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Dan Scott said:

Basically Dave signed a bad deal with Comedy Central back then for Chapelle Show and now he's pissed about it
At the end of the day, it sounds like Dave has the same complaint as Taylor Swift.
Carlo4
AG
So Dave has no rights and can't make money on the show, but is mad he didn't get professional courtesy?

Wouldn't he be mad at Netflix making the deal behind his back?
Petrino1
Dan Scott said:

I keep seeing that the deal was bad for Dave Chappelle, but I don't see how. He was offered $50 million by Comedy Central, and in 2002-2003 that was unheard of for shows like his. It was seen as huge money for Chappelle. He then quits the show because The fame was starting to get to his head, and he had other personal issues going on.

He didn't fulfill his end of the contract, so why is he mad at Comedy Central?
PatAg
AG
ea1060 said:

Dan Scott said:

I keep seeing that the deal was bad for Dave Chappelle, but I don't see how. He was offered $50 million by Comedy Central, and in 2002-2003 that was unheard of for shows like his. It was seen as huge money for Chappelle. He then quits the show because The fame was starting to get to his head, and he had other personal issues going on.

He didn't fulfill his end of the contract, so why is he mad at Comedy Central?
That's not an accurate representation, but ultimately it doesn't matter why he left.
It doesnt sit right that they are making money off the shows streaming rights and he doesn't get any of it though.
johnnyblaze36
AG
Azariah said:

J-Quob said:

Can anyone summarize? I'm not in a spot to listen.
It was the most scorched earth **** I've seen in a long time. He explains how he was basically robbed by Comedy Central, HBO, and netflix.

I get his points and I'm sure I'd be livid in the same shoes but he seems perpetually pissed these days.

edit: I wonder if this was at one of the HOB Houston shows last week? That's what it looks like. He wasn't joking around for 20 minutes straight and then a mic slam.
TXAG 05
AG
He should be mad at his agent for the deal and himself for breaking the contract. Just can't feel that sorry for him. Sounds like a little kid that didn't get his way.
Proposition Joe
I mean, I get his points but he seems to be more interested in complaining about it then actually trying to change it.

We get that the industry is a monster that will eat you alive. This isn't new news.

"he knows if he ever lets go, The pretty machine will swallow him whole"

"He knows if he ever even gets the chance, He'd sell his soul to make the monster dance"

The industry sucks and is full of vultures. So change it. Play the game or don't, but don't reap the benefits of the game and constantly complain while you do it... That's called being a hypocrite.
falconace
Oh the irony. So many of my lib friends have shared this video with trigger warnings and quick summaries of people in positions of power and privilege taking advantage of Dave.

Maybe I'm an *******, but I think it takes a lot of privilege for a guy who is worth tens of millions of dollars to ***** about not making even more money. He makes $20 million each time he releases a Netflix special. He's pissed that he was making $50 million at the time but didn't get the streaming rights which weren't a thing back then. I think many of us would gladly swap incomes with him during the same time period of our careers.

I have made former employers millions and millions of dollars based on ideas that I've had and implemented. I not *****ing that I don't get paid years later. **** for most of them, I didn't get paid extra at the time either. It is just life and I thought it was a good deal when I accepted their offer of employment. Looking back and knowing the impact I had, it would have been nice if I negotiated additional bonuses and things prior to accepting those roles. But just like him, I've been able to leverage my past experiences for bigger, better, and more profitable opportunities that I never would have had otherwise.

Like I said, maybe I'm just an ******* but I don't feel much sympathy for the guy and I'm a fan.
Proposition Joe
Dave is super funny and super intelligent.

He's also kind of a racist and a whiner.
AquaCasaAg
AG
I love Dave's material and have always been a huge fan but can't support him on this. He said he was 28 when he signed the deal...he wasn't a kid by any means. If he hadn't reneged on the contract he would probably have leverage within Viacom to get what he wanted.

Should the accountants also go back and look at forecasted profit for the shows he never completed?
Phrasing
AG
Removed from Netflix

Apparently it was recently removed at his request - article link above. Really bummed - I just saw this thread and was all ready for the rewatch.
boy09
AG
Welcome to the discussion...
Stat Monitor Repairman
This is Daves white whale. Selling himself as the victim is getting kind of old really. He's made that 50 million several times over now.

This is like Seinfield still *****ing that he didn't get paid enough by NBC for Seasons 1-3.
Diggity
AG
falconace said:

I have made former employers millions and millions of dollars based on ideas that I've had and implemented. I not *****ing that I don't get paid years later. **** for most of them, I didn't get paid extra at the time either. It is just life and I thought it was a good deal when I accepted their offer of employment. Looking back and knowing the impact I had, it would have been nice if I negotiated additional bonuses and things prior to accepting those roles. But just like him, I've been able to leverage my past experiences for bigger, better, and more profitable opportunities that I never would have had otherwise.
You the Dave Chappelle of ****ing O&G turbines or something?

Whatever your industry, if you ever get to the point where you can call the bigwigs and explain you don't want them to use your brilliant ideas for monetary gain anymore, go ahead a take it.

Dave had that opportunity, and Netflix agreed.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Dave announces 5 shows in Austin next week.

Still a MEPS level Covid circle jerk. No thanks.
Stat Monitor Repairman

Alphabet people put out the hit on Dave. Wonder if this happened in Austin?
Madmarttigan
AG
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

Alphabet people put out the hit on Dave. Wonder if this happened in Austin?

I thought that was a lesbian couple in the first photograph lol.

Sounds like they are looking for their 2 secs of fame by pestering a celebrity. Eff em
Sex Panther
AG
Phat32
AG
Chappelle gets my benefit of the doubt in this scenario vs whatever the **** that dude claims to be.

Would never film a celebrity like that, and would definitely not go get interviewed about it after.
johnnyblaze36
AG
yukmonkey said:

Chappelle gets my benefit of the doubt in this scenario vs whatever the **** that dude claims to be.

Would never film a celebrity like that, and would definitely not go get interviewed about it after.
Anybody get tickets to one of the ten shows he's about to play this month at Stubb's? I like Joe Rogan's podcast but think his standup sucks. One of the other five nights billed as Dave Chappelle and Friends sounds better.
PatAg
AG
Anytime a recording starts halfway through, and we only get the "victims" information about what caused it

I always call bull****
lazuras_dc
AG
johnnyblaze36 said:

yukmonkey said:

Anybody get tickets to one of the ten shows he's about to play this month at Stubb's? I like Joe Rogan's podcast but think his standup sucks. One of the other five nights billed as Dave Chappelle and Friends sounds better.

A handful of us coordinated on the phone and had a plan for each trying to buy a different day incase one was sold out...was on the second sales opened up and we all struck out. Whether is scalpers using macros or just a F ton of a holes just like us trying to get tickets all at once it was bizarre.
Agree I'm not a huge fan of Rogan standup but would really like to see him in person. Seen chappelle once but would gladly do it again even for that cost. The covid testing thing had me a little reluctant but I guess I don't have to worry about that anymore.
lazuras_dc
AG
Ended up grabbing tix for 1/22 chappelle/rogan. Anyone else been to the December shows ? Or get tix for January?
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
lazuras_dc said:

johnnyblaze36 said:

yukmonkey said:

A handful of us coordinated on the phone and had a plan for each trying to buy a different day incase one was sold out...was on the second sales opened up and we all struck out. Whether is scalpers using macros or just a F ton of a holes just like us trying to get tickets all at once it was bizarre.
Agree I'm not a huge fan of Rogan standup but would really like to see him in person. Seen chappelle once but would gladly do it again even for that cost. The covid testing thing had me a little reluctant but I guess I don't have to worry about that anymore.

I've never liked Rogan's Netflix specials, but I enjoyed seeing him in person a few years ago.
Proposition Joe
Quote:

It's a little of both. For the most part a lot of people don't realize that there's a limited # of tickets and when you multiply your group's setup by 50-100x other groups doing it that.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.