Sanderson Stormlight

95,394 Views | 1014 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by Roll the Bones
Orome
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Are they available now, or are the older books all second hand sellers now?
Lathspell
AG
Orome said:

Are they available now, or are the older books all second hand sellers now?
https://www.dragonsteelbooks.com/collections/leatherbound-books

They will have special runs of signed copies, usually. The Way of Kings was done as a kickstarter with a few tiers. The highest level was both signed and a numbered copy, which I went for the signed copy.
Roll the Bones
AG
FYI for any who have not yet read The Way of Kings, it's on sale in the Amazon Kindle store today.

AgHawkeye
AG
Roll the Bones said:

FYI for any who have not yet read The Way of Kings, it's on sale in the Amazon Kindle store today.

There may be no better entertainment to dollar value in the world!!
Saxsoon
AG
Saxsoon
AG
Finished tress. What a beautiful weird and lovely tale. The characters were wonderful, the narrator is amazing, super duper cosmere aware. The entire final encounter was a great Sanderlanche.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Tress and other cosmere spoilers:

im really interested to see Nalthis and Sel again after this. The tower actually being a rocket ship and the iPads being used shows how much time has passed between the last time Brandon wrote a story for those planets.

I do wonder how far in the future the elantris sequel will be set. Will it be the same characters, or will it be placed centuries in the future?
Madmarttigan
AG
Kind of in a mini book club at work, do you have to understand the cosmere or have read Sanderson before in order to read tress?

Also what are y'all's opinions on it
Formerly tv1113
Lathspell
AG
Really fun video:

EDIT: I should say, I wouldn't listen to his explanations of a book you haven't read because there may some spoilerish informaiton, though very minor.

Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Madmarttigan said:

Kind of in a mini book club at work, do you have to understand the cosmere or have read Sanderson before in order to read tress?

Also what are y'all's opinions on it

I don't think you need to read the cosmere in order to get it, but they will have a much different perspective on the ending than someone who has read all his other works.

I really enjoyed it, got serious Princess Bride vibes. That would be my biggest thing about recommending this, that they enjoy that silly sense of humor that crosses the lines between a children's book, YA sci-fi, and adult fantasy.
hunter2012
AG
Definitely Not A Cop said:

Tress and other cosmere spoilers:

im really interested to see Nalthis and Sel again after this. The tower actually being a rocket ship and the iPads being used shows how much time has passed between the last time Brandon wrote a story for those planets.

I do wonder how far in the future the elantris sequel will be set. Will it be the same characters, or will it be placed centuries in the future?

I finished Tress and thought it was excellent for the reasons mentioned above, what a cool world!

Tress, Secret History and other spoilers Cosmere: I'd bet that it's the same character because the Elantrans are immortal after all. If it needs to be stated the Sorceress is the Elantrian that was on Scaladrial that Kelsier tricked into abandoning their plot to capture the Preservation shard. Neat reoccurrence! Regardless I wonder what part she will have to play in the larger story. I really wonder what level of technology that these other worlds are at or if Tress is way further along on the timeline. How did Charlie know to get on the pirate ship? I guess he was sent to The Rock? How did the Sorceress know that she would get on that boat? Is Hoid the strongest nonshardbearer in the Cosmere now? As far as I know he doesn't have the power of stamps but that's about it at this point.
Saxsoon
AG
Pretty sure this is era 4 given what was said with Sazed releasing the Kandra and that this is clearly now the space age of the cosmere with space travel
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Less than a month until SP#2!
Saxsoon
AG
Based on what Brandon has released on the secret projects

SP2 is Not a Cosmere novel

Sp3 is a Cosmere novel and Hoid is the narrator, and more serious than Tress

SP4Also Cosmere and looks to be Era 4 starring Sigzil. He said to look to Stormlight 5 next year as to how Sigzil ends up where he is
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Saxsoon said:

Based on what Brandon has released on the secret projects

SP2 is Not a Cosmere novel

Sp3 is a Cosmere novel and Hoid is the narrator, and more serious than Tress

SP4Also Cosmere and looks to be Era 4 starring Sigzil. He said to look to Stormlight 5 next year as to how Sigzil ends up where he is

I've read the first 6 chapters of SP4 on his website and it's badass. It's the one I'm looking forward to most.
Saxsoon
AG
I have avoided reading them but i did read Brandon's breakdown after.
KALALL
AG
The first chapters of secret project 4 were awesome. I don't want to wait until October for it.

Have any of yall received your Tress hardback books yet?
JJxvi
AG
No
The Dog Lord
AG
Posting here too since more likely to get opinions than the 2023 Books Read thread.

Just finished original Mistborn and starting Wax and Wayne. My question for those that have read Wax & Wayne is should I leave The Lost Metal for after I read Stormlight, or could I read all 4 Wax & Wayne at once?

I've seen quite a few recommendations saying to wait on #4 since it was just released in 2022, and many view "publication order" as a good guide. I don't actually own #4 yet (waiting for the UK mass market paperback copy to release in June so my set matches), but I'd be tempted to get it on Kindle first.

I own most other Cosmere already, so I could do Wax and Wayne 1-3, short stories, Warbreaker, Stormlight, and then circle back to The Lost Metal if that's advisable.
heddleston
AG
Yeah the order you mentioned works great. The Lost Metal is so much more of a cosmere story, go ahead and circle back to it after you've read everything else.
Chipotlemonger
AG
I would put it off. It's super Cosmere heavy.

I just finished the Tress book the other day. What a fun ride!
maverick2076
That order sounds fine. Of the short stories, fist make sure you don't read Edgedancer until after Words of Radiance and don't read Dawnshard until after Oathbringer.
The Dog Lord
AG
Thanks all! My current planned reading order is:

• Mistborn Era 2 (minus The Lost Metal)
  • Some Arcanum short stories (except Edgedancer)
  • Warbreaker
  • Stormlight 1-2
  • Arcanum (Edgedancer)
  • Stormlight 3-4
  • The Lost Metal
  • Dawnshard and other short stories

I'll be back to this thread later this year...
Saxsoon
AG
I wish I had read Warbreaker before stormlight
Flatlander
Read Dawnshard between Stormlight 3 and 4. It is a Stormlight short story that takes place between books 3 and 4.
Lathspell
AG
It's important to know which short stories. Secret History should be read after Wax and Wayne book 3. It would be fun to read it before Stormlight Book 4, as well.

Reading Warbreaker before Stormlight is not necessary to understand the story, but you get so many fantastic Easter Eggs if you do.

When reading Cosmere books, pay attention to the curses and figures of speech various characters use. It's funny how your brain gets used to hearing Brandon's made up curses on the various worlds that you miss them when they are said on different worlds...
Saxsoon
AG
I actually don't think you need to wait until era 2 book 3 to read Secret History but that is me
maverick2076
I finally got to read Tress. What a great book!
Chipotlemonger
AG
maverick2076 said:

I finally got to read Tress. What a great book!
I loved it as well
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
25 days until SP2 on audio. I believe the ebook gets sent out to kickstarter subscribers on 4/1?

Might be 4/11 for both.
Saxsoon
AG
SP2 is sadly not Cosmere but it sounds interesting
Saxsoon
AG
I wouldn't click on the article to give WIRED the credit but they basically published an article that is unhinged about Sanderson. If you do search it out it is "Brandon Sanderson is your God"

Sanderson responded to it here, but the reporter was welcomed into Sanderson's home, friends, family and took a hot steaming **** all over them, Utah Chinese food, fat shaming people and a myriad of bs

https://www.reddit.com/r/brandonsanderson/comments/1200dzk/on_the_wired_article/

When I usually don't like something I don't spend 5 months of my life writing whatever the **** that article was.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Lathspell
AG
...now I kind of want to read it. What is there about Brandon Sanderson that someone feels the need to **** on? He seems like one of the nicest guys on the planet.
PatAg
AG
Without reading the article, I think the guy knew Sanderson was Mormon and decided to just do a hit piece

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.