***** Oscars 2019 *****

36,707 Views | 385 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by M.C. Swag
Ag Since 83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I had Green Book 3rd of 8, behind BlackkKlansman and The Favourite
GreasenUSA
AG
Green Book was my favorite of all the Best Picture nominees. I was happy with it winning Original Screenplay, but totally surprised to see this. Thought Roma had it for sure. Green Book is definitely deserving. Go see it if you haven't. It will certainly hold up.
Aggies76
AG
I liked it too. Glad it won.
spanky
AG
I'll reserve judgement until I see it
Wicked Good Ag
Solid film but a bit surprising. I had it third not including Roma which I didn't see
Sex Panther
AG
I haven't seen it, and want to... I just have heard almost nothing about it. And definitely hadn't heard anything about it winning.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Good Aggie Hunting said:

Prisoner of Azkaban was such an underrated HP film.
To me, it's when the HP films started getting very good. Chris Columbus' direction for the first two was so mediocre.
oragator
Wait, the oscars chose a relatively mediocre movie with race as a central theme for best picture?

That can't be right.
Jim01
AG
Greenbook?

saw 7 of the 8 Best Picture nominees (still need The Favourite) and of those 7 Roma was my vote. It's not a movie that jumps out at you. It's a technically amazing film with a lot of levels and subtlety to digest.

Oddly there are about 4 or 5 movies that I would of put above some of the other nominees and as high as #2.

- Eighth Grade
- First Man
- If Beale Street Could Talk
- Mary Poppins Returns
MBAR
AG
Sorry but people complaining about a possible black panther win buy Green Book winning is legit awful. It's just not as good as every single other movie that was nominated imo
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
It's kind of becoming an Oscar trend to go for a trendy, weird pick that almost nobody saw and will be mostly forgotten in 10 years time.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
So, conspiracy theory time:

Is Roma's snub because of it being a Netflix movie?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
My guess is yes.
fig96
AG
GiveEmHellBill said:

Good Aggie Hunting said:

Prisoner of Azkaban was such an underrated HP film.
To me, it's when the HP films started getting very good. Chris Columbus' direction for the first two was so mediocre.
You are not alone in this opinion
Bunk Moreland
Sex Panther said:

I haven't seen it, and want to... I just have heard almost nothing about it. And definitely hadn't heard anything about it winning.

This is where I fell. Hope it's deserving. Also sorta glad Roma didn't win. That was the one that got way too much push imo. Was very good but not BP imo.
MBAR
AG
GiveEmHellBill said:

So, conspiracy theory time:

Is Roma's snub because of it being a Netflix movie?

I can't imagine why any other film didn't win except some weird thing with the ranked voting. It's not bad but it's just not that good either. It's the Mayo of the film's that were nominated.
Wicked Good Ag
MBAR said:

Sorry but people complaining about a possible black panther win buy Green Book winning is legit awful. It's just not as good as every single other movie that was nominated imo

It was much better than Vice.
GreasenUSA
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

It's kind of becoming an Oscar trend to go for a trendy, weird pick that almost nobody saw and will be mostly forgotten in 10 years time.
Green Book was an instant classic and easily accessible. Much better than something like Moonlight.
InternetFan02
AG
#WokeHollywood will be melting down...but at least they've prepared themselves for it since the Golden Globes

Bruce Almighty
AG
It was nice when movies like Forrest Gump, Braveheart, Gladiator and LotR were winning. You know, movies that people will still be watching 10 years from now.
Sex Panther
AG
TCTTS said:

Pretty crazy...

Speaking of Chazelle, I rewatched Whiplash this weekend. I've been getting into jazz lately and thought I'd appreciate it even more now.

That movie is flawless. Hate that Shape of Water has a Best Picture win but it doesn't.
Bunk Moreland
Bruce Almighty said:

It was nice when movies like Forrest Gump, Braveheart, Gladiator and LotR were winning. You know, movies that people will still be watching 10 years from now.

Do you have a movie in mind from this year that sort of fits? Closest imo was A Star is Born and I thought it should have won.
MBAR
AG
ATM1876 said:

Green Book had a rare A+ CinemaScore, so it's definitely a crowd-pleaser. I enjoyed the performances but after seeing it a second time just found the whole thing to be old-fashioned and the cultural enlightenment of Viggo's character clumsy and borderline insulting. I can't believe that thirty years after Driving Miss Daisy wins for telling such a similar story that this one wins Best Picture. The preferential ballot should be eliminated. Just wow...

It's such an easy and boring formula. Dude is shown to be racist at the start. By the end he has a black friend. Here's an Oscar for your inspiring movie!

Honestly I liked it and thought it was fine but it's just such a tired gimmick to be elevated yet again.
AquaCasaAg
AG
It was my second favorite of the films after Bohemian Rhapsody. Roma was third.

It is the highest rated movie of the three by a decent margin on IMDB. I don't think there is a parallel with Black Panther which I found overrated.
GreasenUSA
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

Yeah, someone should start making movies like those again. Until then, we have what we have.
InternetFan02
AG
oragator
Seriously, since 2008 we have had a reverse driving miss daisy, a paralyzed person, a poor Indian kid, a deaf person, a gay person, a stutterer, and a story about uncovering child abuse, and in some cases those things overlapped.
I guess it is it's own form of diversity?
PatAg
AG
InternetFan02 said:

not like his movie was going to win
Bunk Moreland
PatAg said:

InternetFan02 said:

not like his movie was going to win

But he got beat out by another movie about race and he's an *******.
rsf0626
Spiderverse deserved to be a best picture nominee... it was incredible and certainly better than most of those movies that were actually nominated
Sex Panther
AG
rsf0626 said:

Spiderverse deserved to be a best picture nominee... it was incredible and certainly better than most of those movies that were actually nominated

MBAR
AG
rsf0626 said:

Hell I don't disagree with this. I enjoyed the hell out of it but the Academy doesn't seem to ever want to honor an animated film with even a nomination.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.