***** Oscars 2019 *****

36,778 Views | 385 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by M.C. Swag
Bunk Moreland
How long do you want to ignore this user?
ATM1876 said:

InternetFan02 said:

He should be mad, not because his movie didn't win but because he's been speaking out about these fairy tale Hollywood racial conciliation movies made by and for white people for thirty years. Hell, he even had a scene in BlacKkKlansman where they talk about how African Americans have been stereotyped in Hollywood movies since movies were first made. This is not a good look for Hollywood...

He's mad because DMD beat Do The Right Thing and now this one beat another of his.

I wonder what Mahershala Ali thinks about the subject and if he thinks his character was a fairy tale Hollywood black man.

And FTR I don't disagree that there is something to that but that's part of a much much larger conversation. I think he's just flat bitter about the irony of it all.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
BK was never gonna win. Lee is a spoiled, entitled, whiny *****
PatAg
AG
He made a good, interesting movie. Should be enough for him, but it isn't.
monarch
S
Spike Lee is a Richard-Head. Useless; anybody running around in a purple outfit like what he wore last night is embarrassing the grape industry. What a joke of a person!
bagger05
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

It was nice when movies like Forrest Gump, Braveheart, Gladiator and LotR were winning. You know, movies that people will still be watching 10 years from now.

I think the problem is that Hollywood makes these movies much less frequently these days. The big blockbusters are now usually part of long running franchises.
BassCowboy33
Green Book was my favorite film of 2018. Ali and Mortenson moved mountains with those performances. Of the BP nominees, the only ones I haven't seen yet are Roma and The Favourite. I've had multiple people tell me Roma is one those, "art for the sake of art" films with little to no depth beyond its visuals. On the other hand, I've heard nothing but good things about The Favourite. I'll hopefully check all the boxes soon.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Mahershala Ali won the Supporting Actor Oscar for Green Book (his second Oscar in the past three years), was in the Best Picture of the year AND the Best Animated Movie of the year.

Plus, he's a shoo-in for an Emmy for True Detective.

Is it safe to say he may be the best actor currently working right now?
nai06
AG
GiveEmHellBill said:

So, conspiracy theory time:

Is Roma's snub because of it being a Netflix movie?
I'd say so. I think there is still a lot of hard feelings based on how it qualified. Netflix will show a film for one week in L.A. County and it qualifies an Oscar as opposed to traditional movies who run a much wider and longer release.
MW03
AG
And, he played point guard for St. Mary's for 4 years. Not relevant, but cool nonetheless.
Broba Fett
Brian Earl Spilner said:

SAVAGE

fig96
AG
GiveEmHellBill said:

Mahershala Ali won the Supporting Actor Oscar for Green Book (his second Oscar in the past three years), was in the Best Picture of the year AND the Best Animated Movie of the year.

Plus, he's a shoo-in for an Emmy for True Detective.

Is it safe to say he may be the best actor currently working right now?
I can't think of anyone consistently doing better work than he is right now.
Bunk Moreland
I think right now it's Ali then Rockwell. Rockwell obviously nailed Three Billboards, lending his voice to F is for Family (and many more as a voice actor), just was W in Vice, coming up in The Best of Enemies due out this spring as well as a FX series about The Broadway star Bob Fosse in Fosse/Verdon.
fig96
AG
Whatever your opinion of Spike, this is pretty great.

TXCityAggie
AG
I was pulling for Roma. I watched it a second time and had much more appreciation for it after another viewing. I'm surprised the Academy went with Green Book given all the controversy around it.
M.C. Swag
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
He turns a half glass of champagne into 100 sips.
MW03
AG
Bunk Moreland
Quote:

If you're discussing the Don Shirley family thing, that falls on me, but Don Shirley himself told me to not speak to anyone,' Vallelonga told reporters after the awards show per The Hollywood Reporter. "He told me the story he wanted to tell. He protected his private life, and all the other things about him, miraculous things about him. He was an amazing man." Vallelonga continued, "He told me, 'If you're going to tell the story, you tell it from your father, me, no one else. Don't speak to anyone else. That's how you have to make it. And also, he told me, 'Don't make it until after I pass away.' So I just kept my word to that man."

Quote:

Vallelonga's explanation contradicts statements made by Don Shirley's nephew Edwin Shirley III, who, along with Don's brother Maurice and other relatives, claims his uncle not only told them about the film pitch, but about his decision to reject the concept as well. "I remember very, very clearly, going back 30 years, my uncle had been approached by Nick Vallelonga, the son of Tony Vallelonga, about a movie on his life, and Uncle Donald told me about it," Edwin told Shadow and Act in December. "He flatly refused."
https://www.vulture.com/2019/02/oscars-2019-green-book-nick-vallelonga-on-don-shirley-family.html

Always 2 sides.
InternetFan02
AG
Quote:

If you're discussing the Don Shirley family thing, that falls on me, but Don Shirley himself told me to not speak to anyone,' Vallelonga told reporters after the awards show per The Hollywood Reporter. "He told me the story he wanted to tell. He protected his private life, and all the other things about him, miraculous things about him. He was an amazing man." Vallelonga continued, "He told me, 'If you're going to tell the story, you tell it from your father, me, no one else. Don't speak to anyone else. That's how you have to make it. And also, he told me, 'Don't make it until after I pass away.' So I just kept my word to that man."
that's awesome...sounds legit...it won best picture so it must be true
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
double aught
AG
She won't be going back.
mslags97
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

Bruce Almighty said:

It was nice when movies like Forrest Gump, Braveheart, Gladiator and LotR were winning. You know, movies that people will still be watching 10 years from now.

Do you have a movie in mind from this year that sort of fits? Closest imo was A Star is Born and I thought it should have won.

Honestly,

I thought the two most enjoyable movies similar to the list above were Infinity War and Fallout. Both, in my opinion, are instant classics in their specific genre's. IW for comic book/action and Fallout for action. The Oscars does not recognize these movies however, except for Black Panther. BP was good but not even close to IW. I honestly wish the Academy would start recognizing movies like these. Both were crazy entertaining which seems like what movies are supposed to be.

I personally liked Green Book, but I was shocked by the win, and I would have selected many others over it. I liked Roma for what it was, but I would not have ever selected it for best picture. It was a beautifully shot film, but it was not nearly as entertaining as many other movies in 2018. This is what I think movies are made for.... I loved it, but I'm not looking to watch it again any time soon.

If the nominated, I probably would have selected The Favourite as my winner. But I honestly think IW or Fallout should be considered and should be the winner. Not saying the biggest money maker or biggest blockbuster should always win, but action should be considered. Those movies did what they set out to do better than any others made in 2018, therefore they should be awarded for that....

Leave the actor awards and the cinematography awards and the editing and the writing awards to reward the technical aspects....
Quad Dog
AG
This article is pretty great.
Quote:

Since its ghastly but predictable triumph at the Oscars, Green Book has been called the "worst best picture Oscar winner since Crash," the latest example of the Academy "pissing on itself on a world stage like Jackson Maine." Not wrong. Yet Green Book was not the worst movie to win at the Academy Awards last night, nor was its victory the night's most embarrassing. That is because Skin won.

https://slate.com/culture/2019/02/oscar-winning-short-film-skin-review.html
Boo Weekley
mslags97 said:

Bunk Moreland said:

Bruce Almighty said:

But I honestly think IW or Fallout should be considered and should be the winner. Not saying the biggest money maker or biggest blockbuster should always win, but action should be considered. Those movies did what they set out to do better than any others made in 2018, therefore they should be awarded for that....

Quick question...I almost rented this the other night bc I have heard nothing but really good things about it but I haven't seen any of the other films in their entirety. Is this something one could enjoy as a stand-alone movie or is it pretty crucial to have watched all or most of the rest first?
Boo Weekley
Quote:

I'm just going to describe the plot now. (Spoilers ahead for a bad movie I hope you never watch.) Skin opens with a portrait of a father, a mother, and their young son, attending backwoods shooting sessions and joyriding a couch tied to the back of a truck. At first, the film reads as an affectionate portrait of a particular flavor of blue-collar whiteness. Then one night at the supermarket, a black man in line smiles at the son, and when the white father sees this, suddenly his Nazi tattoos become clearer. He fires off a racial slur, and the two men exchange words. The father and his Nazi gang then brutally beat the black man nearly to death in the parking lot as his own wife and young son watch, screaming, in a nearby car.

Aside from its cavalier brutality, Skin is, at this point, a familiar but effective story of how racist violence lurks barely below the domestic surfaces of white America. Then this happens: Some time later, the Nazi father falls for a trap in the road and, as his son looks on, is kidnapped and thrown in the back of a van. He's brought to a garage, where a group of black menpointedly including a young boycut off his clothes and hook him up to an IV. Hmm, we think, not going to end well for the Nazi. Then one of the men fires up a tattoo needle. After a long, creepily lit tattoo session, the group dumps the Nazi in the street, and we realizeas he doesthat they have tattooed his entire body so he appears to be dark-skinned. How about that, Nazi guy? The man then goes to his house, where his young son shoots him dead. The camera lingers on the son holding a rifle; he looks scared, but also satisfied with himself, not unlike this film. The end.
OF COURSE it won an award. America doesn't know how to handle a largely tolerant, non-racist society. The demand for it far outweighs the supply.

100% on Rotten Tomatoes. SHOCKING.
Bruce Almighty
AG
NM, wrong movie
mslags97
AG
It would help to have seen the movies prior, which, outside of the second one are all really good, and the second one is decent; but Fallout is great as a stand-alone stand alone action movie. There are some inside "jokes" and sequences, but you won't miss anything just watching it alone.

I would recommend watching the series in its entirety if you are a fan of action movies. Great series!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Apparently, Spielberg was campaigning hard against Roma because it was a Netflix movie and not a traditional theatrical release.

It'll be interesting to see if he does the same with his buddy's movie The Irishman next year.
fig96
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Apparently, Spielberg was campaigning hard against Roma because it was a Netflix movie and not a traditional theatrical release.

It'll be interesting to see if he does the same with his buddy's movie The Irishman next year.
Worth mentioning for those that may not be aware that Spielberg is apparently now campaigning to change the rules, so this isn't too farfetched.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.