***** Oscars 2019 *****

36,777 Views | 385 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by M.C. Swag
TajMaballer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
UncleNateFitch said:

Can anyone make a rational argument to me that black panther was better than Thor ragnarok?

It is the easiest Marvel movie to watch without having seen any other Marvel movie. People can watch Black Panther and enjoy it without having any previous knowledge of the character. For people who are fans of Marvel, they get to see a new chapter of the overall MCU story. New audiences can dive right in.

The performances are also more grounded in reality than Ragnarok. Easier to connect to Killmonger than Hela. Boseman has the gravitas of an actual politician and king.

Wakanda also feels like a real, lived in place. The filmmakers did a better job making Wakanda feel like a real place than most movies do with real cities.

I love Ragnarok. It's my third favorite MCU movie (behind Winter Soldier and Black Panther). Black Panther is just special. I think it 100% deserves a Best Picture nomination.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
HelloUncleNateFitch
TajMaballer said:

UncleNateFitch said:

Can anyone make a rational argument to me that black panther was better than Thor ragnarok?

It is the easiest Marvel movie to watch without having seen any other Marvel movie.
Really?

TajMaballer
AG
Should have said best entry point for non comic book fans.
fig96
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

Hello there said:

As for Best Picture, let's be honest. We all know why Black Panther is there. It's not really deserving, and First Man was snubbed, IMO.

Neither had a shot in hell, but First Man is a FAR better movie.

This clearly shows that the academy has alt-right bent.

The substandard movie that features a racially pure ethno state and is nothing but 2 hours of race baiting ending in a war between races in the sequel gets the nomination while the vastly better movie gets snubbed because there literally isn't enough flag waving.
a) Hollywood leans liberal? What?!

b) Get over it, it's a film about a different culture. Not to mention the final battle wasn't between different races.
Boo Weekley
More Hollywood leftist virtue signaling. Can't wait to hear about all of the preachy political rants at this year's Oscars.

I used to actually enjoy watching the Oscars with the lady but will most likely never watch a single one again just bc Hollywood is so full of itself and has gone so far off the deep end.
rhutton125
AG
I like BP more than Ragnarok. Ragnarok is fun but it isn't perfect by any means. I think it's a distant third behind Hunt for the Wilderpeople and What We Do in the Shadows, too.
Duncan Idaho
fig96 said:

Duncan Idaho said:

Hello there said:

As for Best Picture, let's be honest. We all know why Black Panther is there. It's not really deserving, and First Man was snubbed, IMO.

The substandard movie that features a racially pure ethno state and is nothing but 2 hours of race baiting ending in a war between races in the sequel gets the nomination while the vastly better movie gets snubbed because there literally isn't enough flag waving.

b) Get over it, it's a film about a different culture. Not to mention the final battle wasn't between different races.

I understand your liberal mind can't handle the truth but black panther and infinity war were masterpieces designed to get the collective on the side of Donald Trump and his war against the deep state.

By framing the idea of an ethnostate in a black context, millions of liberals were able to see the vaule of keeping true to the dream of a unified culturally homogeneous nation.

By expanding out of this position and taking in others wakanda was ultimately weakened when the caravan of immigrants showed up at their door.

This movie was a wake up call and couldn't be any clearer if it was written by Q Anon himself.

Thanos is clearly Soros.
wakanda is clearly an idealized version of a racially homogeneous America
Thanos's horde is clearly the Soros funded illegal alien caravan.
Hello there
The fact that Black Panther is nominated, and The Dark Knight wasn't, really rustles my jimmies.
fig96
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

fig96 said:

Duncan Idaho said:

Hello there said:

I understand your liberal mind can't handle the truth but black panther and infinity war were masterpieces designed to get the collective on the side of Donald Trump and his war against the deep state.

By framing the idea of an ethnostate in a black context, millions of liberals were able to see the vaule of keeping true to the dream of a unified culturally homogeneous nation.

By expanding out of this position and taking in others wakanda was ultimately weakened when the caravan of immigrants showed up at their door.

This movie was a wake up call and couldn't be any clearer if it was written by Q Anon himself.

Thanos is clearly Soros.
wakanda is clearly an idealized version of a racially homogeneous America
Thanos's horde is clearly the Soros funded illegal alien caravan.

Your Redstone impersonation is terrible.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
TajMaballer
AG
Hello there said:

The fact that Black Panther is nominated, and The Dark Knight wasn't, really rustles my jimmies.

The Dark Knight not being nominated is a crime, but it changed the Oscars forever. The following year, they changed from 5 nominees to up to 10 nominees. The Dark Knight was sacrificed, so that movies like Black Panther could thrive.

I think we will get more comic book nominees in the near future. Maybe even next year with Todd Phillips/Joaquin Phoenix's Joker movie.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
fig96
AG
I thought the Redstone comment made it pretty clear that it's not?
Duncan Idaho
Redstone has a completely different shtick and target of ridicule
Hello there
Quote:

The Dark Knight was sacrificed, so that movies like Black Panther could thrive.
It was the hero we deserved.
fig96
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

Redstone has a completely different shtick and target of ridicule
He's also occasionally funny, but you make the analogies where you can.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Hello there said:

Basically, Black Panther was nominated because the Dark Knight wasn't.

The Academy expanded the Best Picture category in response to the outcry over TDK.

The funny thing is, Black Panther was the third best comic book movie of the year. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-verse and Avengers: Infinity War were better overall movies. You could even argue that the Incredbiles 2 was better than Black Panther, bumping it down to fourth-best comic book movie of 2018.

The ONE thing Black Panther had that really propelled it was the acting of Michael B. Jordan....who didn't even garner a nomination.
veryfuller
Staff
AG
I don't think you can compare Black Panther and Infinity War.....unless you only watched Infinity War and no other Marvel movies before it. That movie is an amazing piece of work, but only really stands as such if you have the history of the 19 marvel movies before it to build off of. There is a lot of character short hand going on, which as a stand alone film doesn't really work. Its like watching the season finale of a show without watching the previous episodes. It won't work if you haven't been keeping up. Therefore its less accessible to members of the Academy who haven't been watching marvel movies (which is, unfortunately, probably a lot). Black Panther is solid all on its own. It has a great story, with rich characters that have good character arcs. Its production and costumes are amazing. The performances are great (and I still think Michael B. Jordan should have gotten a supporting actor nomination). Ryan Coogler built a world out of nothing that is rich and speaks to a lot of cultural issues going on in our country now in a way that isn't antagonistic. Maybe as a superhero movie (just in that genre) people don't enjoy it as much, but if you haven't been a fan of the genre (like my wife and some of her friends), you can jump in and watch and have a very rewarding experience for doing it. That is why its been getting so much awards heat and why it landed the Best Picture nomination.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
veryfuller
Staff
AG
True. But both the previous were also nominated for best picture. Same with The Godfather and Part II.
Hello there
Fellowship, Two Towers, and ROTK should all have won.
rhutton125
AG
And they didn't have to give 22 heroes screen time.
Gigem314
AG
TajMaballer said:

UncleNateFitch said:

It is the easiest Marvel movie to watch without having seen any other Marvel movie. People can watch Black Panther and enjoy it without having any previous knowledge of the character. For people who are fans of Marvel, they get to see a new chapter of the overall MCU story. New audiences can dive right in.
Same can be said of IM1, Cap1, Thor1, and GoTG1. They were their own stories and you didn't need to know about the Marvel universe to understand them.

Quote:

The performances are also more grounded in reality than Ragnarok. Easier to connect to Killmonger than Hela. Boseman has the gravitas of an actual politician and king.
Yeah bullet-proof super suits, an invisible protection barrier over the whole country, technology that allows someone to remotely drive a car on the other side of the world, and a young girl that knows more about neutrons than Bruce Banner...is so grounded in reality. Come on.

Quote:

Wakanda also feels like a real, lived in place. The filmmakers did a better job making Wakanda feel like a real place than most movies do with real cities.
Wakanda is a cool place and the visual effects of the film were stunning. But in no moment did I ever feel like it was a real place. It had an Asgard kind of feel to it. Very cool, and believable for the Marvel universe. But there are films in the universe a lot more 'real' than BP.

It was a solid film that has its own fit in the MCU. But for it to finally be the first super hero film to be nominated for an Oscar? I think it's very forced.
TajMaballer
AG
Gigem314 said:

Quote:

Yeah bullet-proof super suits, an invisible protection barrier over the whole country, technology that allows someone to remotely drive a car on the other side of the world, and a young girl that knows more about neutrons than Bruce Banner...is so grounded in reality. Come on.

Nothing said here has to do with the PERFORMANCES. The actual acting in Black Panther is phenomenal.
Gigem314
AG
TajMaballer said:

Gigem314 said:

Quote:

Nothing said here has to do with the PERFORMANCES. The actual acting in Black Panther is phenomenal.
What makes the acting any better than Ragnarok or most of the other MCU films? Or The Dark Knight and other super hero films that failed to make the cut of the Oscars?

It just kind of seems like you want to hear yourself talk about the film, but not answer any critiques about it.
Hello there
Not the poster you're talking to, but the performances in Ragnarok are purposely comedic and over-the-top, which was a pretty welcome change for that series. Especially considering the "Shakespearean" dialogue they have to deliver in Asgard.

And Jeff Goldblum being Jeff Goldblum was just pure gold.

There's not much of that in Black Panther.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
G Martin 87
AG
Looks like I need to add The Favourite and Roma to my watchlist. Green Book was in and out of theatres here so fast I didn't have a chance to see it.

Honestly, the best movie I saw all year was Spider-verse.
Hello there
Roma has officially taken the lead as favorite for Best Picture.

https://www.goldderby.com/
TajMaballer
AG
Gigem314 said:

TajMaballer said:

Gigem314 said:

Quote:

What makes the acting any better than Ragnarok or most of the other MCU films? Or The Dark Knight and other super hero films that failed to make the cut of the Oscars?

It just kind of seems like you want to hear yourself talk about the film, but not answer any critiques about it.

"Not answer any critiques about it": I talked about the performances. You brought up different things not related to the performances. I responded with talk of the performances.

I guess I'm not the one who wants to hear myself talk. Which btw, it's a message board. We are all hearing ourselves talk.

In terms of actual performances, I liked the Thor performances in the movie. Very funny stuff, with great moments of heart. The performances in Black Panther were more nuanced with humor, drama, badassery, and heart felt moments. It's a preference.
Hello there
Yalitza's reaction to her nomination.

C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Gigem314
AG
TajMaballer said:

Gigem314 said:

TajMaballer said:

Gigem314 said:

Quote:

"Not answer any critiques about it": I talked about the performances. You brought up different things not related to the performances. I responded with talk of the performances.

I guess I'm not the one who wants to hear myself talk. Which btw, it's a message board. We are all hearing ourselves talk.

In terms of actual performances, I liked the Thor performances in the movie. Very funny stuff, with great moments of heart. The performances in Black Panther were more nuanced with humor, drama, badassery, and heart felt moments. It's a preference.
So did you, which is what I responded to in the first place. Not a big deal, I just find it amusing that you have to side-step so much of it despite being so confident it was one of the best Marvel films of all-time and "more real" than all the others. But when questioned about it, you kind of back off.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
The telling stat for Black Panther compared to the rest of the best picture movies.

it has no Lead Actor, Actress, nor Director nomination.
It doesn't even have a supporting actor/actress/ screenplay or cinematography nod ( you have to get to sound stuff to see it nominated.)

Someone here can probably find it ( and I don't know the answer) but what if any movie has been nominated for Best Picture without any nominations for the ones I mentioned above. I am curious. Maybe it is more than I think and my stat is pointless.

I looked up and in the last 50 years only 4 pictures have won Best Picture without haveing at least an acting nomination are, the last Emperor, Braveheart, Return of the King, and Slumdog. but all of those WON Best director and most won screenplay and/or cinematography awards.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.