*** THE BATMAN ***

220,362 Views | 2111 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Brian Earl Spilner
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TCTTS
AG
Based on this role alone, he could be a phenomenal villain. All for it.
Render
AG
Whatever. I don't care who they cast, as long as the script is worthwhile. I'm so tried of Marvel being the only competent blockbuster-maker nowadays.

fig96
AG
FTACO97
AG
I would have to think that with Reeves starting a new Batman story with a new actor, that WB would be best served to just jettison the Affleck Batman. You've got Aquaman and Flash essentially just starting their careers as super heroes but Affleck was the longest running character (behind Wonder Woman) in terms of how long he's been a super hero. I would hope at some point down the road, if WB can improve their track record, we would end up with another Justice League film with a new Superman and just treat it like the other film never happened.
schmendeler
AG
saw on twitter that DC fanbois have started a petition against pattinson as batman. some people are really sad.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
schmendeler said:

saw on twitter that DC fanbois have started a petition against pattinson as batman. some people are really sad.
I bet if you cross-checked this petition and the Game of Thrones petition, you'd find them pretty much identical.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Batman Returns is one of my all-time favorite comic book films. I love that movie.

While I'm not angry or upset that Reeves is thinking of making his movie with the exact same villains as Returns, I will say I'll be disappointed if this ends up happening because of Batman's extensive rogue's gallery.
Gigem314
AG
fig96 said:

aggie_fan13
AG

the hero we deserve
John Matrix
AG
GiveEmHellBill said:

Batman Returns is one of my all-time favorite comic book films. I love that movie.

While I'm not angry or upset that Reeves is thinking of making his movie with the exact same villains as Returns, I will say I'll be disappointed if this ends up happening because of Batman's extensive rogue's gallery.

Batman Returns is strange because, as a Batman film, it's actually kind of terrible.As a Tim Burton film, it's a masterpiece. Tim Burton does not give a **** about Batman as a character, and it shows. Frankly, other than action scenes and the interaction with Selena Kyle, we find out nothing about him. He might as well not even be in it.

On the other hand, Burton obviously LOVES Catwoman and the penguin. Their arcs and history perfectly fit into the themes Burton explored in Edward Scissorhandd, etc.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Batman Returns knew what its target audience enjoys.

AgfromHOU
AG
I think that's the plan, with only the new Superman up in the air. Hoping they just ignore BvS and JL moving forward.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
AgfromHOU said:

I think that's the plan, with only the new Superman up in the air. Hoping they just ignore BvS and JL moving forward.
I guess I'm one of the few people who actually like BvS; JL had one or two moments that I liked but otherwise it was completely forgettable (and has largely been forgotten, by me, I might add). I also really enjoyed MoS.

If they jettison BvS and JL, fine, but don't jettison what they were trying to set up with BvS - Darkseid. As a villain, Darkseid is every bit as awesome as Thanos. But they need to do the groundwork as Marvel did (when we first saw Thanos at the end of The Avengers, I had no idea who that was). Maybe DC doesn't need to do 20+ films before finally bringing Darkseid to fight against the JL, but also they need to not rush it. Which I believe was probably the biggest problem the DCU had, as they seemed intent on cheating to catch up with Marvel.
bearamedic99
AG
Sidenote- I also like MoS and BvS. Especially for its portrayal of the collateral damage incurred during these fights.
Bruce Almighty
AG
John Matrix said:

GiveEmHellBill said:

Batman Returns is strange because, as a Batman film, it's actually kind of terrible.As a Tim Burton film, it's a masterpiece. Tim Burton does not give a **** about Batman as a character, and it shows. Frankly, other than action scenes and the interaction with Selena Kyle, we find out nothing about him. He might as well not even be in it.

On the other hand, Burton obviously LOVES Catwoman and the penguin. Their arcs and history perfectly fit into the themes Burton explored in Edward Scissorhandd, etc.
The star of Burton's Batman films is not Batman, its Gotham City, and his vision of Gotham is better than anybody else.
Duncan Idaho
fig96 said:

I would be 10000000% onboard with this
fig96
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

John Matrix said:

GiveEmHellBill said:

The star of Burton's Batman films is not Batman, its Gotham City, and his vision of Gotham is better than anybody else.
He definitely had the most Gotham-y Gotham City.

I found the anachronistic cars, architecture, and tech really interesting, though I feel like it would probably feel dated today. I wonder how you could keep that feel but still keep the tech feeling relatively modern?
aggie_fan13
AG
does anybody know what the premise of the film is ?
TCTTS
AG
No one has any real clue yet. All that's been reported so far is that...

A) It's NOT an origin story. We'll be dropped into the action/career of Batman in his prime / mid-30s.

B) It's going to embrace/honor the "detective" aspect more than the other films, with Chinatown apparently serving as one of Reeves' primary inspirations.

C) Batman will be facing off against a "rogues' gallery" of villains, rumored to include The Penguin and Catwoman.

Other than that, it'll probably be a few months until we hear anything more concrete.
aggie_fan13
AG
i wonder if it will batman as detective or just bruce wayne
AgfromHOU
AG
I enjoyed both movies, I just didn't like BvS being the baseline Batman and didn't like what they did to him in JL. I didn't like the direction Snyder was going, but I did like both. I appreciated the superhero drama movie over the superhero comedy movie more than anything.

If that makes any sense
TCTTS
AG
I would imagine it'll be both.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Why no official news yet?
TCTTS
AG
It doesn't start filming 'til January at the earliest. We're likely not going to hear anything official for quite a while.
TCTTS
AG
If I had to guess, I'd say the order of events goes roughly something like this...

SUMMER 2019 - Pattison is officially cast at some point in the next month or two. Christopher Nolan's next movie starts filming in June, so I'm assuming Pattison's Batman deal will be done before he starts on that, but who knows. Either way, once that happens, the floodgates will open for...

SUMMER 2019 - NOVEMBER-ish 2019 - Additional casting announcements (the other leads, villains, etc.), along with a steady drip of rumors as various roles are confirmed.

JANUARY - MAY/JUNE-ish 2020 - Filming/production.

JULY 17, 2020 - The first teaser trailer drops with Christopher Nolan's next movie. Because Nolan's next is also a Warner Bros. film and stars Pattison, I can't imagine a more perfect pairing to debut the first footage. I would bet large amounts of money on this happening.

NOVEMBER 2020 - The second teaser trailer drops, either with Marvel's still untitled movie (11/6) or Dune (11/20).

APRIL 2, 2021 - The final trailer drops with the 10th and still untitled Fast & Furious movie.

June 25, 2021 - The Batman finally hits theaters.
schmendeler
AG
Any good scuttlebutt on the new Nolan film?
TCTTS
AG
I wish. Nothing yet, other than Pattison mentioning something about the script being another mind-*****of a blockbuster, ala Inception. With filming slated to start next month, hopefully some details/set pics start to trickle out soon and throughout the summer...
schmendeler
AG
Thanks!
AgfromHOU
AG
We Got This Covered is reporting that The Batman will not be a prequel, will recast Alfred and Gordon, and will have little crumbs that loosely connect it to the DCEU if they want to do that or not
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

John Matrix said:

GiveEmHellBill said:

The artistry on display in both of Burton's Batman movies was fantastic. Only the Gotham of Batman Begins even came close to what Burton accomplished (and then, mysteriously, they went away from that gothic look for the best two Batman movies ever made).

I loved Batman when it came out in 1989. It was the movie that I most wanted to see, and I laughed at all those yahoos whining about Michael Keaton (and pining for Adam West). With Batman Returns, I enjoyed that sequel up until the moment that Cobblepott's army of penguins waddled out and started launching little rockets off their backs. But that movie did have one of the best lines I recall, delivered with the usual greatness by one of the most under-rated actors, Christopher Walken - "bottom line, if she tries to blackmail me, I'll drop her out a higher window!"
TCTTS
AG
AgfromHOU said:

We Got This Covered is reporting that The Batman will not be a prequel, will recast Alfred and Gordon, and will have little crumbs that loosely connect it to the DCEU if they want to do that or not
Conflicted on this one, as We Got This Covered is one of those sites that maybe gets one out of ten "exclusives" right, and that's usually out of sheer luck. That said, I think most of what they're reporting will end up being true, save for the bit that the movie "may still sow some seeds so that it could feasibly be retroactively connected to the DCEU at a later date." I don't even understand how that would be possible, considering this Batman would be 15-20 younger than Affleck's, a completely different human being, and with a completely different supporting cast. In other words, I think there are facts reported in this article that will end up being true, but these guys are straight up guessing, same as me and everyone else (i.e. never trust We Got This Covered).
AgfromHOU
AG
Yeah, that's why I didn't link their article. I just thought it was decent discussion fodder.

I hope it isn't a prequel, and that they somehow find a way to make Pattinson the Batman of the continuity. Reeves has said in the past that his movie would be DCEU, but would be self contained and without cameos (like Aquaman).
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, but Reeves said that back when Affleck was attached. Remember, there was a short period of time when Reeves came aboard to direct Affleck's solo Batman movie. But when Affleck left, it sounds like that entire concept was tossed, and Reeves started over from scratch. But who knows...
rhutton125
AG
I don't think anyone would - or should - say it's an out and out different continuity. If it's a hit, DC can still use Pattinson and whatever popular villains or side characters in any modern-era sequels and people will be cool with it.

Think about how often Sony are trying to leave the door open for a Venom-MCU crossover, or for Tom Holland to pop up in Spiderverse. I think Venom being in the same universe is idiotic, and would never happen, but you can't blame them for trying.

May as well leave the door open for Pattinson in a future team-up film, just in case.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.