*** STAR WARS: THE RISE OF SKYWALKER ***

747,325 Views | 6770 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SpreadsheetAg
DartAg1970
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The first words spoken in The Rise of Skywalker:

"This will begin to set things right."
Flashdiaz
AG
it's no coincidence in the Ep IX Teaser we see Luke's lightsaber fixed and Kylo's mask being put back together.
The Collective
AG
Flashdiaz said:

it's no coincidence in the Ep IX Teaser we see Luke's lightsaber fixed and Kylo's mask being put back together.

JJ putting everything back together that Rian screwed up
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
If this movie manages to unite prequel lovers, OT purists, and TLJ haters alike, it would be a small miracle and should undoubtedly be awarded some special award in Hollywood.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Flashdiaz said:

Agree - JJ physically stitching his story back together after RJ attempted to demolish it
Flashdiaz
AG
maybe Snoke will come back with robot legs like Maul.
Belton Ag
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

If this movie manages to unite prequel lovers, OT purists, and TLJ haters alike, it would be a small miracle and should undoubtedly be awarded some special award in Hollywood.
That would be a sure sign of the apocalypse, good thing I've got my trip to Galaxy's Edge at Disney booked for before the movie comes.
bobinator
AG
TCTTS said:

Forgot about that. Good point.

Have any of the books or anything ever touched on what "the Ren" is exactly?
I just kind of assumed 'Ren' was a title kinda like Darth with the Sith. Like whoever is the leader of the Knights of Ren is 'Ren' thus 'Kylo Ren'. If one of them kills the leader and takes over they'd be Bubba Ren or whatever.
TCTTS
AG
Bubba Ren.
Rex Racer
AG
TCTTS said:

Bubba Ren.
I want to see this movie.
bobinator
AG
Rex Racer said:

TCT said:

"Y'all seen what Kylo did with the force right? Well that ain't nothin', here hold my beer..."
twilly
AG
Rex Racer said:

TCTTS said:

Bubba Ren.
No you don't. Just a farm boy like his uncle.
TCTTS
AG
SpreadsheetAg
AG
TCTTS said:

Bubba Ren.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
redline248
AG
Well those last few posts are the best things to happen in this thread
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

The longer you stare, the better it gets.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
So true
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Auralnuts has returned with a 12 minute Kylo Ren reaction video to the trailer for Episode IX that is hilarious but also blew my mind with something I didn't notice in the teaser. The last few notes as the title appears are the "hero" version of Ren's theme by John Williams.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Great catch on that. I love stuff like that. One of my favorite panels at Celebration was a musical breakdown of the TPM soundtrack, which pointed out cool things Williams did like that. Stuff I hadn't even noticed before.

For example, we all know about the music in the Naboo parade being the Emperor's theme in a major key, but how about this one --

The repetitive musical cue (the strings) which underlies the choral and horn sections of Duel of the Fates, is actually the same notes as the Force theme, just sped way up and in reverse.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Quote:

The repetitive musical cue (the strings) which underlies the choral and horn sections of Duel of the Fates, is actually the same notes as the Force theme, just sped way up and in reverse.
I'm no musician, cannot play anything ... so this is not something I ever would have picked out without someone telling me ... gonna have to give these a listen today to see if I can hear this as described.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Start with the 3 notes in which the first and third repeat. (@ 0:10)

And then work backwards from there. You'll identify DOTF right away.

Edit: Actually, this saves you the trouble.

Play at 2X speed and jump to 0:24.
bangobango
AG
bobinator said:

We also don't know what Rey actually knew about Luke. Even she says "I thought he was myth" when Finn first mentions him.

I think that the legend being passed around and people thinking "Skywalker" is a title, not a last name, is possible.

Or, they incorporate the comic and Palpatine created Anakin and it's revealed he also created Rey. Then we find out that there are others out there he also created, and he calls these "experiments" Skywalkers.

Of course, that doesn't explain how Anakin ended up with that name.

Also, as far as creating a new order called the Skywalkers that is a combination of Sith and Jedi, I agree that this appears to be where they are heading, but that is a really big risk for Disney when you just think about merchandising and spin-off things. I'll be interested to see if that's the way that they go.

Finally, when this whole thing started, I thought that there was a chance that they have the bad guys not necessarily winning, but at least maintaining control. I thought they'd do that so that they would have a universe to create new material in that has a big bad (think cartoons, comic, TV, etc). Not sure they have the fan equity to go that route anymore.
The Collective
AG
I love Kylo Ren reaction videos. Thanks for posting.
amercer
AG
Three Death Stars is enough big bad guys for this era of the universe.

Honestly, going smaller makes the most sense to me. You can have hero's doing hero ****, and Jedi's doing space wizard **** without having to save the whole galaxy every time.

Something Marvel really figured out was how to make a bunch of small movies in between the giant ones and still tie it all together.
redline248
AG
amercer said:

Honestly, going smaller makes the most sense to me. You can have hero's doing hero ****, and Jedi's doing space wizard **** without having to save the whole galaxy every time.

Something Marvel really figured out was how to make a bunch of small movies in between the giant ones and still tie it all together.
Unfortunately, 9 is about saving the Galaxy from the clutches of the Empi....er, First Order.
Quad Dog
AG
amercer said:

What Marvel does well with their non giant Avengers movies is to make them genre movies. They put their characters in spy, heist, road trip, fantasy, or action movies. Solo was an attempt at a heist movie set in Star Wars. Rogue One is closest to an action movie. So it looks like Star Wars is trying the same thing.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
https://deadline.com/2019/04/star-wars-the-rise-of-skywalker-teaser-clocked-111m-in-first-24-hours-more-viral-than-last-jedi-force-awakens-1202601505/
bangobango
AG
amercer said:

EDIT TO ADD: This is getting OT and is probably more appropriate for other thread, so I apologize and will try not to continue the derail.

I think Disney has to be very careful when changing the formula. I think for a lot of fans, there are certain elements that have to be in the fiction to make it Star Wars. What are those elements? And when you start taking out those elements, are you risking losing a lot of your fan base.

There are things that distinguish Star Wars from other space adventures, like Star Trek. Things like Lightsabers, the force, jedis, the rebels, the empire, etc. I would also argue that there are certain requirements for tone and or beats in the product, too. Which of those elements can you remove or mix and match and not destroy your product?

With Marvel, you can have a kinds of different movies and settings, but b/c what makes a superhero movie a superhero movie is superhero powers. So, as long as you have that in your movie, people will go watch and get what they expected. Imagine the reaction, however, if you made a superhero movie where the hero didn't use any of his powers or skills? That would not do well at all.

Honestly, I think a lot of what Disney has tried to do with this new trilogy is break down some of the fan expectations so that it is freed up to do something more like Marvel. It has just done a horrible job of executing it. In hindsight, it should have either made a more nostalgic trilogy and paid more homage to the old characters, then try to redirect the franchise via other avenues, or rebooted either way far into the future when everyone is dead and gone, or recast the main characters with younger actors in the main roles (Luke, Han, Leia) and made the events take place right after the fall of the empire.
bobinator
AG
A counterpoint: I don't think Disney has to be careful at all.

The Last Jedi was basically a counter-culture of a movie in the Star Wars Universe, the characters did a bunch of stuff the fans absolutely hated, and yet everyone is going to line up again in December for the next one.

I think the only thing that really matters is just making good movies. Everyone has all kinds of wild theories about why the Marvel movies have been so successful, but it's really easy, they're all entertaining.

Rogue One was a really good movie. It didn't have Jedis, or lightsabers (until the very end), only a little of the force, etc. You didn't need to watch a bunch of other movies to get it. Sure, you'd have missed some of the references, but all you needed to understand the movie was in the movie. That's how most of the Marvel movies are.

Solo was not a really good movie. It was fine, but it wasn't anything special. I don't even remember some of the plot beats anymore because it just seemed like a needless fill-in of a backstory of a character we're already really familiar with.
jackie childs
Brian Earl Spilner said:

special award in Hollywood?

that might be deserving of a Nobel
bangobango
AG
bobinator said:

A counterpoint: I don't think Disney has to be careful at all.

The Last Jedi was basically a counter-culture of a movie in the Star Wars Universe, the characters did a bunch of stuff the fans absolutely hated, and yet everyone is going to line up again in December for the next one.

I think the only thing that really matters is just making good movies. Everyone has all kinds of wild theories about why the Marvel movies have been so successful, but it's really easy, they're all entertaining.

Rogue One was a really good movie. It didn't have Jedis, or lightsabers (until the very end), only a little of the force, etc. You didn't need to watch a bunch of other movies to get it. Sure, you'd have missed some of the references, but all you needed to understand the movie was in the movie. That's how most of the Marvel movies are.

Solo was not a really good movie. It was fine, but it wasn't anything special. I don't even remember some of the plot beats anymore because it just seemed like a needless fill-in of a backstory of a character we're already really familiar with.

Let's hold off on how this third one does until it premiers. They are definitely doing the right stuff to try and draw the fanbase back, but if they make many misteps between now and then I can see it underperforming significantly.

And I think the real fallout of something like TLJ is what it does to your products outside the main trilogy. I have still not seen Solo. I don't plan on going to see episode 9 until I get confirmation from fans that it's worth seeing, but I am intrigued by the trailer and what to know how it resolves, but a lot of that is because of my investment in the original characters. If they don't have Luke doing he voice over in that trailer, then I'd probably have little to no interest in this next movie.

And that's really what pisses me off about this whole fiasco, is how much they use the crutch of everyone's investment in Ford, Hammil, and Fisher to carry these movies, and then how they basically exploited that and kind of, in my opinion, took a dump on those fans with TLJ.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
The TexAgs equivalent of 10,000 spoons when all you need is a knife.

Brian Earl Spilner ganked by Staff for posting a spoiler WITHOUT SPOILER TAGS on the Endgame thread.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I didn't.
veryfuller
Staff
AG
That is definitely not a spoiler....its a funny google easter egg where half the news stories disappear when you click on the gauntlet on the right.
First Page Last Page
Page 68 of 194

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.