*** STAR WARS: THE RISE OF SKYWALKER ***

747,741 Views | 6770 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SpreadsheetAg
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Have you guys been getting the Episode IX trailer before Endgame? If so, any crowd reactions?
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
TCTTS said:

Have you guys been getting the Episode IX trailer before Endgame? If so, any crowd reactions?
Yes.... and not much reaction at all. A few murmurs - mostly when she flipped over the ship.

Nothing like when TFA trailers hi the big screen and people were ooohhing and awwwwing and even clapping.
Ulrich
Murmurs when it started, but couldn't read a mood. No crowd noise during the trailer. That was an 8 am Saturday showing though, so a reaction would have been really impressive.
TCTTS
AG
Interesting. Will hopefully be seeing it for myself on the big screen tonight.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Ag Since 83
AG
I think the parent a couple seats down from me said something to his kid at the end of the trailer but I can't remember what.

Personally I find theater audiences tough to read in general about anything, particularly when it comes to silence.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Got some cheers in my opening night showing.
Dekker_Lentz
AG
I took the silence as trepidation. Most of what I could pick up was a person saying to his neighbor. "Here is the Star Wars trailer."

But it was last after a bunch of trailers including Gemini Man and Godzilla.

In my mind Episode 9 marketing needs to lay low while we come off our Endgame high.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I wouldn't worry about that. We won't hear a peep about this again until September at the earliest. IMO.
TCTTS
AG
People went pretty nuts for the Episode IX trailer in my showing. Immediate applause the second the Lucasfilm logo came up, and then an eruption at the end. The biggest applause, trailer-wise, though, was for Hobbs and Shaw. Big cheer for Godzilla as well.
John Matrix
AG
Random Star Wars thought after seeing Endgame-You know, I actually like the Disney wars more than most on here, but after seeing Endgame, I can't help but feel that anything JJ Abrams is going to throw at us in December is going to be a letdown in comparison. Blockbuster, long-form storytellling that Star Wars in many ways originated has been perfected by another franchise, and anything Star Wars throws out there is bound to seem minor and inconsequential.

I just have this feeling that JJ is going to come up with something solid and entertaining, but it's just not going to live up to the blockbuster climate that surrounds it.
PatAg
AG
People did some cheers for when she did her flip, and some murmur when the title appeared. I feel like we are in a different fan society than even 5-10 years ago. Everyone that would cheer at that trailer first time seeing it, has watched it multiple times online already.
Just my take.
Stewade
Staff
AG
John Matrix said:

Random Star Wars thought after seeing Endgame-You know, I actually like the Disney wars more than most on here, but after seeing Endgame, I can't help but feel that anything JJ Abrams is going to throw at us in December is going to be a letdown in comparison. Blockbuster, long-form storytellling that Star Wars in many ways originated has been perfected by another franchise, and anything Star Wars throws out there is bound to seem minor and inconsequential.

I just have this feeling that JJ is going to come up with something solid and entertaining, but it's just not going to live up to the blockbuster climate that surrounds it.

Maybe that could be true for the public at large, but as much as I enjoyed Endgame and the decade of Marvel movies, Star Wars is just on an entirely different level for me personally. There's just way too much nostalgia and my childhood baked into it - Marvel can't compete. They could make the most widely-acclaimed film of all-time (Endgame?) and it will just never be able to move the needle for me like Star Wars does.

So for me (and I don't think I'm alone), no matter how good or bad Episode IX ultimately is, I can't fathom leaving the theater thinking it was "minor" or "inconsequential."
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Stewade said:

John Matrix said:

Maybe that could be true for the public at large, but as much as I enjoyed Endgame and the decade of Marvel movies, Star Wars is just on an entirely different level for me personally. There's just way too much nostalgia and my childhood baked into it - Marvel can't compete. They could make the most widely-acclaimed film of all-time (Endgame?) and it will just never be able to move the needle for me like Star Wars does.

So for me (and I don't think I'm alone), no matter how good or bad Episode IX ultimately is, I can't fathom leaving the theater thinking it was "minor" or "inconsequential."

^THIS

I am unabashedly a SW guy - and I think almost anyone my age is. I was 11 when it came out and it changed my world. It was the biggest thing ever back then and I get how younger people might be more MCU because if it is during that age (somewhere from 8 to 20 maybe when it started for you) and was a huge part of your life for 12 years like SW was for me (for 30+ years now) then that's your thing. It's true for my son and daughter too who both also love SW (because I ingrained them - lol) but MCU is in their wheelhouse and their biggest thing. He is now 24 and she is 21 so from ages 10 and 13 or so that's been their big thing. they appreciate SW but this is their series.

And I really appreciated Endgame - it was the first superhero movie to me to have real emotion, real consequences, real depth. It was great I was seriously "moved" for the first time in ANY superhero movie. But no matter how great it was it will never be SW level for me. And IX will be so emotional for me really. I can't even begin to explain.

Also me and my kids are huge GOT fans - cannot believe we get the culmination of all 3 in the same year. Crazy.
AliasMan02
AG
Stewade said:

John Matrix said:

I love the Marvel movies. Star Wars is IMPORTANT to me.
The Collective
AG
This is me with Star Wars...

canadiaggie
AG
Marvel movies are fun rides, but at the end of the day, they are all really forgettable. I don't mean that insultingly, and the heroes and the stories have been wonderful, but ultimately they aren't significant to my memory.

SW, on the other hand... even if it's ****ty, these movies are permanently seared into my brain.
FTACO97
AG
I was 3 when Star Wars came out. It was a HUGE part of my childhood and I'll always be a huge Star Wars fan, but I don't see Episode IX even coming close to the epic conclusion that Endgame was. I would be glad to be wrong. Loving Endgame and thinking it's the most epic film I've seen in a long time doesn't diminish my love for Star Wars in any form or fashion. Not sure why it has to be a choice?
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
The obligatory "Why not both?" gif.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
FTACO97 said:

I was 3 when Star Wars came out. It was a HUGE part of my childhood and I'll always be a huge Star Wars fan, but I don't see Episode IX even coming close to the epic conclusion that Endgame was. I would be glad to be wrong. Loving Endgame and thinking it's the most epic film I've seen in a long time doesn't diminish my love for Star Wars in any form or fashion. Not sure why it has to be a choice?

It's not a choice. It's just a preference. Anyone commenting on it generally has seen both and is just stating why one is more meaningful to them. Nothing wrong with that.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
In film pantheon, nothing sniffs Star Wars. Not even close.
Liquid Wrench
Have you seen The Librarian series with Noah Wyle?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Nope.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

In film pantheon, nothing sniffs Star Wars. Not even close.
I agree, with this caveat - I was the perfect age when Star Wars came out, 10. Star Wars has been with me for very nearly my entire life.

But as pointed out in an earlier post, the generation of younsters who saw Iron Man when they were about 10 have known nothing but these awesome Marvel movies. Some of the MCU movies have not been as good as others, but the MCU is the biggest cinematic thing they have ever witnessed.

To them, quite likely, Star Wars is something their parents love, something they've seen on TV, and in theaters they've been gifted with one really great Star Wars movie, Rogue One, two fun Star Wars movies, Solo and The Force Awakens, and one awful Star Wars movie, The Last Jedi.
double aught
AG
If someone is a casual Star Wars fan like you are implying, I doubt they think Last Jedi is awful.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I do wonder if the MCU will have the same kind of impact on kids today as Star Wars did in those 2 generations, respectively.

The biggest difference, in my eyes, was that Star Wars movies really felt like an event. And it's not just because they were blockbuster movies, but because you weren't getting multiple movies every year.

The saga went away for decades at a time, and when it was back, it was only every 3 years that you got a movie. It was special. There was a buildup of excitement.

I know I'm entirely too biased, but I just don't think anything has come close to the hype machine that surrounded Phantom Menace. I know the opening weekend BO indicates otherwise, but it almost seemed to transcend just box office. It was all over the news, older generations knew about it, etc.

I think that having to be at a movie opening day or even opening weekend wasn't as much the cultural norm as it is now. People were ok with waiting a week or two to go see a movie. Hence why opening weekend records weren't being broken year after year.

According to BO Mojo's estimated tickets sold, TPM stands at 84M, and Infinity War is at 72M. (And TFA is at 108M.)

So for all of that hype that the MCU was able to gather in 22 movies, it still couldn't match the tickets that TPM sold in its run.

It's certainly possible that Endgame may beat out TPM, but I just don't know if it has that special, event feel for kids today that Star Wars did for us.

Thoughts?
The Collective
AG
double aught said:

If someone is a casual Star Wars fan like you are implying, I doubt they think Last Jedi is awful.

I tend to agree.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I do think that if the MCU did a hard stop right now, and went dark for 16 years, whatever movie they came back with might be able to match Star Wars level hype.

We're talking 2035.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
double aught said:

Well, to be fair, I never said THEY think TLJ is awful; those were my words regarding what I think of the 4 Star Wars movies to be released during the MCU run.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
I think you hit the nail on the head with the reference to the time, ie, years, between Return of the Jedi and The Phantom Menace. That is what I believe drove all the insane hype leading up to TPM. Had Lucas continued making SW movies immediately after Jedi and TPM had come out in 1986, I don't doubt there would have been excitement over its release, but it would not have been anything at all like what we saw in 1999.

Speaking only of the OT, and specifically the latter two of those, there is a huge difference in the world now as the world then. Social media, for one. There was a lot of excitement over the release of those movies. But for TESB, a movie many consider to be among the best ever made, it initially opened in the city of Houston on TWO screens. TWO. The old Westchase theater on Gessner @ Westheimer, and the old Alabama theater which is now, I believe, a grocery store. Imagine the lines to see that movie on its first few days of release. ROTJ was a wider initial release; it came out on May 25, which was a school night. My parents told me that for me to be able to see the movie on opening night, I'd have to be fully prepared for my biology final exam the next day (I had to demonstrate my readiness for the exam via some kind of half-assed review my mom put me through, and I made an A on the test the next day). But there was no advance ticket sales in those days. You just showed up to the theater and waited in whatever line there was, hoping the theater would not sell out before you got to the ticket counter. No one was going to be able to go to see Endgame without having bought tickets weeks in advance.

So will the current generation have the same thoughts on the MCU as my generation did on SW? Who knows? I can't imagine a movie like Ant-Man and the Wasp to be anything that will stand the test of time and be revered 30 years from now, but the one-two punch of IW and Endgame probably will. The overall MCU will likely be something that will endure, as it is something that I doubt we ever see again. Look at DC - they panicked, I think, and tried to catch Marvel without doing all the necessary legwork, and we got a bunch of movies that largely are considered failures, and no enduring DCU. SW has never been quite the same kind of thing given all the time lapses between movies.
twilly
AG
I'm not saying you have to watch the whole thing...but if you have the time, I'd highly recommend it.

The first 10-15 minutes of STAR WARS: Empire of Dreams does a pretty good job of describing the mood of the country and the movie world before Star Wars was around.

It wasn't just a cultural event, is was a feeling of goodness, hope, and dreams that was sadly lacking at the time. It was also the first movie (or entertainment media for that matter) that captivated the world in two senses (sight and touch). The movies, as well as the toys, opened a door to thoughts and feelings that were in very short supply in the late 70's

Name another movie, or even cultural phenomenon, that has increased in popularity over 40+ years?

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I love that doc.

Also, I HIGHLY recommend the book How Star Wars Conquered The Universe, which is a fantastic read, and I just remembered I never finished it.

I gotta get around to finishing that.
agracer
AG
John Matrix said:

It's pretty hard to reconcile that Disney owns both franchises and one has been wildly successful, entertaining, and fun while the other has made money and pissed off a lot of fans. TFA was fun, but you could understand some of the fans poor reaction to another super weapon story and how did Rey get her power (I personally like the movie a lot). Only to crap on the fans with Ep VIII and make a joke out of one of the most anticipated Star Wars movie moments since "I am your Father". JJ certainly has his work cut out for him to recover from the mess he was left with TLJ.

Just imagine if the same people in charge of Marvel had done the SW movies....
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I do wonder if the MCU will have the same kind of impact on kids today as Star Wars did in those 2 generations, respectively.

The biggest difference, in my eyes, was that Star Wars movies really felt like an event. And it's not just because they were blockbuster movies, but because you weren't getting multiple movies every year.

The saga went away for decades at a time, and when it was back, it was only every 3 years that you got a movie. It was special. There was a buildup of excitement.

I know I'm entirely too biased, but I just don't think anything has come close to the hype machine that surrounded Phantom Menace. I know the opening weekend BO indicates otherwise, but it almost seemed to transcend just box office. It was all over the news, older generations knew about it, etc.

I think that having to be at a movie opening day or even opening weekend wasn't as much the cultural norm as it is now. People were ok with waiting a week or two to go see a movie. Hence why opening weekend records weren't being broken year after year.

According to BO Mojo's estimated tickets sold, TPM stands at 84M, and Infinity War is at 72M. (And TFA is at 108M.)

So for all of that hype that the MCU was able to gather in 22 movies, it still couldn't match the tickets that TPM sold in its run.

It's certainly possible that Endgame may beat out TPM, but I just don't know if it has that special, event feel for kids today that Star Wars did for us.

Thoughts?

I agree with everything you say about SW - I've seen several posts like this - it is just hard to convey what Sw meant THEN. And because of that run from 77-83 what it has meant ever since for people that came of age with SW. I turned 11 in 1977. It was the perfect age. SW enthralled me, it is not an exaggeration to say it has been an all encompassing thing ever since then.

Another way to look at things is the Adjusted for inflation chart - it takes the domestic BO number, average ticket price then and extrapolates to level the field.

In that with todays box office you would have

1. Gone with the Wind $1.8B
2. Star Wars $1.6B
3. Sound of Music $1.27B
4. ET $1.25B
5. Titanic $1.22B
7. Jaws $1.1B

In that list the only movies in the top 25 since 2000 are

11. The Force Awakens $974M
15. Avatar $876M

That's it.

Marvel's Avengers comes in at #29 with $692m and IW at #35 with $652M

These movies don't even sniff the territory of SW.

If endgame cracks $1B it would only make it 9th on the list and still about $600M behind SW.

I think that gives a better idea of how huge SW was.

The otherway to really see the difference is number that saw the movie:

-Gone with the Wind was a huge event too. It literally ran for years and years and years in single screen theaters at least for a few showings per week. It was virtually the only thing to see. In 1939 the average movie cost $0.23 and that movie grossed $189M then. Meaning more than 760M people saw that movie - the population of the US at the time was 130M. So more than 5x the US population saw it.

-SW in 1977 grossed $307M on initial release at an average of $2.23 per ticket so 137M people saw it then and another 5M and 30M on re-releases so 172M total.

-The Force Awakens by comparison was seen by 115M people - roughly half of the US population.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
big-time potential spoilers now emerging about Matt Smith's character being a former apprentice of Snoke who willingly gets possessed by the Palpatine's spirit, and said spirit trying to inhabit Kylo Ren as well.
First Page Last Page
Page 69 of 194

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.