*** STAR WARS: THE RISE OF SKYWALKER ***

749,084 Views | 6770 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SpreadsheetAg
bobinator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That's kind of the writing version of the TexAgs bracketology I used to do on the hoops board. We used to compare pretty favorably to the people who do it for a living. I'd lay out the bracketing rules, and then have people rank teams and then I'd fill out the bracket based on the NCAA's slotting procedures. Actually worked pretty well.
TCTTS
AG
That's awesome. One of these days...
Urban Ag
AG
All this talk of time travel, severed hands, secret bases. Palpatine.

Texags Star Wars posters are ruining my childhood.

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

PatAg
AG
TCTTS said:

Which is why, once I've finally got a couple projects off the ground, I might just officially attempt something we've only dabbled with in the past... a legit, original screenplay informed and tested by a message board. Start a thread with a basic plot conceit and parameters, then let people weigh in as the concept and script evolves, ensuring that the story is meticulously considered and air tight. I retain sole writing credit, because I'll be the one doing the actual writing, but we come up with a pay structure for ideas and notes (paid/distributed upon sale of the script) and everyone who contributes also gets their name in a "Special Thanks" section in the credits.

I'm half joking, as there are likely WGA rules that prohibit this, but potentially not, since it's so outside of the box. It's the perfect hybrid. It's not just one person tasked with the entire story, nor is it a committee where everyone has equal say, thus becoming a "too many cooks in the kitchen" scenario.

The "TexAgs Model" will one day be the solution to Hollywood's woes.
This is TCTTS's version of throwing 25 monkeys in a room with typewriters and eventually getting Shakespeare.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
TCTTS
AG
Ha. I've got the perfect sketch-of-an-idea to test this with, too. Like a sci-fi Da Vinci code type thing. It would be so fun to start a thread and brainstorm, but I need to find the time to develop it just a bit more first.

That said, I do have another project I'm working on right now - a TV series - that has me somewhat stuck. I've got like 50% of the pilot figured out, and like 75% of "The Lore" that informs it. My business partners have weighed in a bit, and we've cracked it a little more, but I'm sure the TexAgs hive-mind could have it solved in a matter of days. Part of the problem is that I'm trying to finish a feature length screenplay simultaneously, and haven't been able to devote full brain power to the series, but it might actually be worth running it by TexAgs in the vaguest of terms in the next few days. I need some creative geological expertise, and I feel like that'd be in high supply here.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The Collective
AG
bobinator
AG

Quote:

I need some creative geological expertise, and I feel like that'd be in high supply here.

I took one geology class at A&M and I've seen Dante's Peak and Volcano a few times, I'm basically overqualified IMO.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
bobinator said:

Quote:

I need some creative geological expertise, and I feel like that'd be in high supply here.

I took one geology class at A&M and I've seen Dante's Peak and Volcano a few times, I'm basically overqualified IMO.

Bah!!!! If you haven't seen 2012 then you ain't got no Masters degree like me.

bobinator
AG
Oh I have also seen 2012. But you don't have a PhD like me unless you've seen The Core.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
you win
Flashdiaz
AG
Hmmm. Ian McDiarmid (Emperor) states that the laugh they used was an old one and not recorded recently. Also seems to be downplaying his role a bit starting at the 10 min mark

I'm leaning more to the side that Palpatine isn't 'alive' and will only appear as a disembodied voice or 'robot' form as previously suggested.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Are we thinking Lor San Tekka knew who Rey was and was basically her Obi-Wan?

bobinator
AG
I won't believe anything that anyone in it or that worked on it says publicly about this movie.
Coog97
Flashdiaz said:

Hmmm. Ian McDiarmid (Emperor) states that the laugh they used was an old one and not recorded recently. Also seems to be downplaying his role a bit starting at the 10 min mark

I'm leaning more to the side that Palpatine isn't 'alive' and will only appear as a disembodied voice or 'robot' form as previously suggested.
I think The Emperor is back and in a significant way, regardless of how he may be "constituted." The fact is the good guys (and what's left of The Resistance) need a heavy to defeat, once and for all. Yeah, they're fighting The First Order, but the bad guys need a face. Snoke has been dispatched, Hux has been made to look like a stooge and Kylo is seemingly still conflicted, IMO. I think The Emperor is back and I think they take it all the way back to his role in the origins of Anakin and possibly Rey... and I think he will be the evil that must be defeated to close this story arc out, completing the circle.

And while I think the good guys will win, of course (I can't imagine ending all of this by plunging the galaxy into eternal hopelessness,) I think it will come at a great, great cost. It has to have gravity... this can't end with everyone alive and smiling and teddy bears dancing, singing and playing drum solos on Stormtrooper helmets. That's why I think you'll see many of the main characters ultimately sacrificing themselves for the cause.

Just my two cents.
Batzarro
AG
PAGE 66
thaed137
AG
Just wanted to put my take on the direction they could go with this skywalker name thing. What if we get more into the history of the Jedi/Sith and it is revealed the first force users, that some primitive groups called skywalkers, were a single group and single belief instead of the duality that is the Jedi and Sith. Maybe the Jedi/Sith was started by a disagreement or something within the original order. We have had hints of Kylo wanting to start over and do it better as well as Luke not being happy with the Jedi/Sith so movies seemed to be headed that way.

You could have a moment at the end where Kylo and Rey save the planet/resistance and some primitive kid asks if they are Jedi/Sith and the cumulative moment is they say no, we are skywalkers harking back to not only the name as related to Anakin and Luke but also to the original intent that the original force users had. This would full circle the evolution of force users and tie in with a new generation that gives rise to Skywalkers instead of Sith/Jedi.

*Obviously if there is cannon that contradicts what I am saying then forgive me*
bobinator
AG
Yeah I think that's exactly where it's headed. That's why I think "rise of Skywalker" references both an Anakin origin story to be filled out and some kind of new order to be continued forward.

I think we're going to learn more about the literal rise of Skywalker and see a rise in the legacy of the Skywalkers.

However, I don't think we're going to get any sort of ancient order of the Skywalkers or anything because that wouldn't make a lot of sense to me given what we already know about Shmi/Anakin.

TCTTS
AG
Yeah, good call. Something along these lines sound about right. Instead of the coincidence of a modern, primitive group just so happening to name Rey a "Skywalker," a primitive group before even the Jedi and the Sith name Force users "Skywalkers." Rey and Kylo learn this, and when all is said and done, name themselves/their new order "Skywalkers," based on this knowledge. I dig that.

That said, personally, I don't think Kylo survives. I think it's solely Rey who leads the new order of Force users and gives them the name, thus - in a round about way - finally becoming a "Skywalker" herself.
TCTTS
AG

Quote:

However, I don't think we're going to get any sort of ancient order of the Skywalkers or anything because that wouldn't make a lot of sense to me given what we already know about Shmi/Anakin.

This is a good point as well, but I don't think it necessarily has to work out that way. My last name is Smith, but that doesn't mean I make a living by being a blacksmith. After thousands of years, "Skywalker" could just be nothing more than a name now, once the terms "Jedi" and "Sith" took over.
bobinator
AG
I don't see how it could be an ancient thing but somehow Shmi have the name. That seems like a huge retcon.

I'm envisioning something like this: Remember that kid at the end of The Last Jedi sharing the story of what happened on Crait to his friends? I'm imagining that story has gotten out throughout the galaxy, but like a game of telephone and because it's word of mouth and there weren't a lot of witnesses, some of the details have gotten lost.

So Rey does some heroic stuff in this one, and after the battle, a kid or someone asks her if she's a Skywalker like they've heard of in the stories, and she says yes. Thus 'Skywalker' becomes the term moving forward.
The Collective
AG
bobinator said:

So Rey does some heroic stuff in this one, and after the battle, a kid or someone asks her if she's a Skywalker like they've heard of in the stories, and she says yes. Thus 'Skywalker' becomes the term moving forward.

This is a damn fine prediction.
TCTTS
AG
I hear you, and that's probably the simplest/easiest answer. But at the same time, Rey lived a FAR more remote life than broom boy at end of TLJ. And yet, even Rey knew who Luke Skywalker was. So how would that kid - or someone like him - NOT know who Luke Skywalker was, enough to confuse the name "Skywalker" like that?
bobinator
AG
But Rey is a lot older than Broom boy. Like Luke Skywalker was a legend to Rey's generation, but maybe too far back for the current generation. Things fade from living memory pretty quickly.

I'm not saying it's perfect, but I think it makes more screen sense than somehow having them discover this ancient order that happened to have the same name has Anakin's mom.

But in my prediction this kid/person whoever sees (or hears about) Rey literally doing something that seems like sky walking, has heard of a person (or multiple people) named Skywalker, and thinks maybe Rey is one.
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, I'm coming around on this. That said, Rey is only 19/20 in TFA/TLJ. She's not that much older than broom boy or someone his age (10 or so), but I guess I could buy it if it was someone even younger.
bobinator
AG
We also don't know what Rey actually knew about Luke. Even she says "I thought he was myth" when Finn first mentions him.

I think that the legend being passed around and people thinking "Skywalker" is a title, not a last name, is possible.
mazag08
AG
TCTTS said:

Ha. I've got the perfect sketch-of-an-idea to test this with, too. Like a sci-fi Da Vinci code type thing. It would be so fun to start a thread and brainstorm, but I need to find the time to develop it just a bit more first.

That said, I do have another project I'm working on right now - a TV series - that has me somewhat stuck. I've got like 50% of the pilot figured out, and like 75% of "The Lore" that informs it. My business partners have weighed in a bit, and we've cracked it a little more, but I'm sure the TexAgs hive-mind could have it solved in a matter of days. Part of the problem is that I'm trying to finish a feature length screenplay simultaneously, and haven't been able to devote full brain power to the series, but it might actually be worth running it by TexAgs in the vaguest of terms in the next few days. I need some creative geological expertise, and I feel like that'd be in high supply here.

Do I get to be included if I promise to keep my Uber right wing Hollywood conspiracies and my white supremacy in check?
TCTTS
AG
bobinator said:

We also don't know what Rey actually knew about Luke. Even she says "I thought he was myth" when Finn first mentions him.

I think that the legend being passed around and people thinking "Skywalker" is a title, not a last name, is possible.
You've convinced me. I'm on board.
TCTTS
AG
mazag08 said:

TCTTS said:

Do I get to be included if I promise to keep my Uber right wing Hollywood conspiracies and my white supremacy in check?
As long as none of my ideas aren't misinterpreted as "liberal propaganda," any and all posters will be accepted.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
bobinator said:

I don't see how it could be an ancient thing but somehow Shmi have the name. That seems like a huge retcon.

I'm envisioning something like this: Remember that kid at the end of The Last Jedi sharing the story of what happened on Crait to his friends? I'm imagining that story has gotten out throughout the galaxy, but like a game of telephone and because it's word of mouth and there weren't a lot of witnesses, some of the details have gotten lost.

This is perfect.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
bearamedic99
AG
Batzarro said:

PAGE 66

Name of the production company?
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
bearamedic99 said:

Batzarro said:

PAGE 66

Name of the production company?
This thread is on page 66, which was the order number Palpatine gave to the clones to eliminate the Jedi.
TCTTS
AG
I could be wrong, but I think he understands that. I took his post as wondering if the production company should be named that for the very reasons you listed.
First Page Last Page
Page 66 of 194

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.