*** STAR WARS: THE RISE OF SKYWALKER ***

749,082 Views | 6770 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SpreadsheetAg
AliasMan02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TCTTS said:

Marvel does that, but I can't think of Star Wars ever doing that for a trailer. A shot from a deleted scene might make into a trailer, but never something just for a trailer, as far as I can remember.

Kylo igniting his lightsaber in the TFA trailer comes to mind.

I do think the scene of Rey being pursued feels a little weird. Especially her turning and then just stopping. I had considered that might be just for the trailer.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS
AG
cpsencik04 said:

My wife is confident it's the KOR, descriptions of them from books match the guy shown...

I really don't think it is. But I went full-nerd again and I think I figured it out...

Here are three screenshots I took from the trailer, with the exposure amped up. Notice the figure on the far right of the third image. He looks to be dressed almost identically to the guy Kylo is body slamming. Again, as if they're part of the same clan...

Then I took some TFA screenshots from Rey's vision (again, with the exposure amped up), and there's no Knight of Ren that has that helmet shape (there's also the leaked promo poster from a couple weeks back that features the Knight of Ren and none them have that helmet shape in that image either).

HOWEVER, the figure Kylo kills in Rey's vision (the same figure that's about to kill Rey) DOES have that same helmet shape, but looks to have his veil down where you can see his face. In other words, I'm thinking whoever Kylo kills in Rey's vision is of the same clan Kylo & co are attacking in TROS, which would be pretty cool...

TCTTS
AG
There's absolutely no way that's just for the trailer.
TCTTS
AG
In taking the above screenshots just now and last night, I've analyzed Rey's vision again closely and the evidence for the hand theory really is just so incredibly blatant. It starts with a close up of Rey's RIGHT HAND touching Luke's light saber. Then it transitions to Rey literally walking down the same corridor on Cloud City that Luke does MOMENTS BEFORE HE GETS HIS RIGHT HAND CUT OFF in Empire (we even hear him scream "Noooo!"). From there, Rey "falls" and she's suddenly looking at a hooded Luke outside of the burning Jedi Temple, who places his right, robotic hand on R2-D2 and then we CLOSE IN ON LUKE'S RIGHT, ROBOTIC HAND. That's literally the exact sequence of events - Rey's right hand - Luke getting his right hand cut off - then a blatant zoom in/close up of Luke's robotic right hand. Why else would Abrams be showing us those specific shots/moments?
AgMarauder04
AG
That Rey gon' use it to pimp slap Kylo.
bearamedic99
AG
TCTTS said:

In taking the above screenshots just now and last night, I've analyzed Rey's vision again closely and the evidence for the hand theory really is just so incredibly blatant. It starts with a close up of Rey's RIGHT HAND touching Luke's light saber. Then it transitions to Rey literally walking down the same corridor on Cloud City that Luke does MOMENTS BEFORE HE GETS HIS RIGHT HAND CUT OFF in Empire (we even hear him scream "Noooo!"). From there, Rey "falls" and she's suddenly looking at a hooded Luke outside of the burning Jedi Temple, who places his right, robotic hand on R2-D2 and then we CLOSE IN ON LUKE'S RIGHT, ROBOTIC HAND. That's literally the exact sequence of events - Rey's right hand - Luke getting his right hand cut off - then a blatant zoom in/close up of Luke's robotic right hand. Why else would Abrams be showing us those specific shots/moments?

Jeez, I mistakenly clicked on that spoiler. Is that the page 37 spoiler or a different plot prediction?

TCTTS
AG
I know it's a joke, but you might want to spoiler tag that because of the wording.
Liquid Wrench
I don't know where I am on "the theory." It's intriguing in a lot of ways, but when I look at the evidence I think "everyone has hands and it's not unusual to see hands in movies, we usually just don't talk about them.
TCTTS
AG
It's a small part of the page 37 theory.
TCTTS
AG
For a lot of those other references in that tweet thread, I agree. Some were trying a bit too hard, and just seemed like inconsequential hand shots/gestures. I'm just saying that Rey's vision, specifically, seems pretty blatant.
Liquid Wrench
*not sure why I didn't get the spoiler tag to work this time.

Anyway, I need to rewatch TFA to think about what you're saying.
AliasMan02
AG
TCTTS said:

There's absolutely no way that's just for the trailer.

Not the whole sequence. Just her extra turn to the camera for what looks like no reason.
TCTTS
AG
Ha, exactly. I don't see why anyone is questioning anything about this scene.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG

Well it's a little weird. I have no doubt it is (likely) in the movie some way and not purely promotional but.....allow me to overanalyze. It's kinda my thing.

I think it is probably edited a little different then we will see it in final form. It's a little (overly) dramatic. And one thing is for damn sure that voice over does not go with that scene - and it's likely not even directed at Rey imho. In that sense it is "promotional" in that it is meant to deliver a message other than just how it appears in the movie.

Things that make me go hmmmmmm.....

1. the tracking shot through the desert before the ship comes in is an artistic gimmick - doubtful that would be shown that way in the movie. it could but it's a little pod race-esque. so could be an homage to the master Lucas.

2. She looks wayyyyyy beautiful... almost too beautiful to be in the middle of a desert 6000 miles from anything apparently and looking like a fashion model with perfect makeup.

3. the setup to run is a little odd. maybe she would do that but really ...why? And running ~20 mph vs what 200 mph of the ship is pretty meaningless. you could just stand still and vault over it too (force vault).

4. i don't know what's supposed to happen here but i'm pretty damn sure she did not clear the canopy of that thing. Her center of mass is between her hips (crotch level) and that's not higher than the canopy. Maybe she intends to land on it (and not be squashed like a bug but that seems crazy at the speed of that ship) or just crash through it.

5. Like Rickon in GOT....why not ZIG ZAG mfer.... that ship cannot turn on a dime. Or for that matter lie flat and it goes right over you, the pilot ain't scraping the ground with it and there is clearance room.

who knows. we have no context for it really and.....anyway don't care it's a cool shot but there is a lot to wonder about if not question.

Below is why I say she does not clear the canopy - this is at the apex of her jump. She isn't going up any more at this point.

Anyway can't wait to see it in context.

AgMarauder04
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

Well it's a little weird. I have no doubt it is (likely) in the movie some way and not purely promotional but.....allow me to overanalyze. It's kinda my thing.

I think it is probably edited a little different then we will see it in final form. It's a little (overly) dramatic. And one thing is for damn sure that voice over does not go with that scene - and it's likely not even directed at Rey imho. In that sense it is "promotional" in that it is meant to deliver a message other than just how it appears in the movie.

Things that make me go hmmmmmm.....

1. the tracking shot through the desert before the ship comes in is an artistic gimmick - doubtful that would be shown that way in the movie. it could but it's a little pod race-esque. so could be an homage to the master Lucas.

2. She looks wayyyyyy beautiful... almost too beautiful to be in the middle of a desert 6000 miles from anything apparently and looking like a fashion model with perfect makeup.

3. the setup to run is a little odd. maybe she would do that but really ...why? And running ~20 mph vs what 200 mph of the ship is pretty meaningless. you could just stand still and vault over it too (force vault).

4. i don't know what's supposed to happen here but i'm pretty damn sure she did not clear the canopy of that thing. Her center of mass is between her hips (crotch level) and that's not higher than the canopy. Maybe she intends to land on it (and not be squashed like a bug but that seems crazy at the speed of that ship) or just crash through it.

5. Like Rickon in GOT....why not ZIG ZAG mfer.... that ship cannot turn on a dime. Or for that matter lie flat and it goes right over you, the pilot ain't scraping the ground with it and there is clearance room.

who knows. we have no context for it really and.....anyway don't care it's a cool shot but there is a lot to wonder about if not question.

Below is why I say she does not clear the canopy - this is at the apex of her jump. She isn't going up any more at this point.

Anyway can't wait to see it in context.

Maybe she misquitos into the canopy and we get a new hero?
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
TCTTS
AG
I have no doubt the sequence is trimmed down for the trailer, and that we're missing a ton of context/whatever happens leading up to that moment. But as far as her being too beautiful and all that, do you really think they filmed two versions? One with her "cleaned up" and then the "real" one with her dirtied? That seems insane to me. The only thing I can see being different is that artistic tracking shot you're talking about. It wouldn't surprise me at all if that exact, sweeping shot isn't in the movie, but I'm almost certain everything else will be. Coming from someone who spent way too much time taking and comparing screenshots over the past 24 hours... I think you guys are way overthinking this.
DB Coach
AG
Regarding that scene....who give a sheet, it's awesome!
Zombie Jon Snow
AG

By the way just an observation of something as I as running down a rabbit hole of TFA videos.

The Yoda scene(s) with Luke.

In the context of TFA we see him lightning the tree on fire and presumably burn the books, laugh about it and then scold "young Skywalker"......

At one point he tells Luke those books were old and boring but also that Rey already possesses all the knowledge she needs. In the context of the film after we later find out Rey snatched the books so we think this means that she took the books and Yoda knows it so he is saying she has the knowledge.

But in the context of this theory though about Rey/Luke - Yoda could have meant that quite literally. She already possesses the knowledge innately in her DNA/midichlorians.

AgMarauder04
AG
Personally, I just want her to apex and drag her saber through the canopy
redline248
AG
AgMarauder04 said:

Personally, I just want her to apex and drag her saber through the canopy

Good bet this happens. Sort of a call back to Luke on Endor
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
TCTTS said:

I have no doubt the sequence is trimmed down for the trailer, and that we're missing a ton of context/whatever happens leading up to that moment. But as far as her being too beautiful and all that, do you really think they filmed two versions? One with her "cleaned up" and then the "real" one with her dirtied? That seems insane to me. The only thing I can see being different is that artistic tracking shot you're talking about. It wouldn't surprise me at all if that exact, sweeping shot isn't in the movie, but I'm almost certain everything else will be. Coming from someone who spent way too much time taking and comparing screenshots over the past 24 hours... I think you guys are way overthinking this.

No #2 was just a hmmmmm..... that's noticeable. She looks beautiful a lot but much more made up there than she did on Jakku in the early desert scenes. Who knows maybe she has been doing a cleanse, doing Yoga, and living right now instead of eating those awful rations and living out of a destroyed AT-AT.

redline248
AG
You didn't know Jedi used the Force to keep their makeup in place?
aggiepublius
AG
It will be intriguing where all they go with Rey's origins if that is a major point.

I have only read through the thread once but din't see this anywhere - what bearing, if any, do the events of the Aftermath book trilogy have on the these various theories? Aftermath is supposed to be canon and deals with Palpatine's contingency plans he put in place before battle of Endor and also tell about the battle of Jakku.

I know here has been speculation that Anakin's origins would come into play for the pilot of IX. I always thought the prequels missed the boat.* But knowing how much Joseph Campbell's "Hero with a thousand faces" was supposed to be an influence on the Lucas and the original trilogy, I thought there was a chance that Palpatine was going to end up somehow being Anakin's father. That would recast and really extend the final confrontation in Jedi as it would have a son killing his father to protect his own son. It make the saga very classical in its framing of the myth with echos of Oedipus Rex and other Greek myths.

* Meeza know, Meeza know - they failed in so many ways with those movies. The whole scientific basis of the force went contrary to the entire worldview and fabric of the movie.
redline248
AG
In the original Star Wars, Leia was going to Tatooine to ask Obi-Wan for help, who was there watching Luke, who was there bc his "family" lived there.

In the newest trilogy, Rey is on Jakku by chance (assuming Kylo can be believed, which is certainly up for debate). I wonder how much that bothers JJ, and if he will change it.
Liquid Wrench
Possibly. But remember, our ideas of Jedi training got turned upside down by the prequels, and then thrown out the window by Yoda in TLJ. Luke was probably the oldest trainee ever. Who knows, but from Yoda's perspective it might be all about instinct/force sensitivity/midichorlians, and not necessarily the long life journey leading up to becoming a "true" Jedi like Luke thinks.

C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
redline248 said:

In the original Star Wars, Leia was going to Tatooine to ask Obi-Wan for help, who was there watching Luke, who was there bc his "family" lived there.

In the newest trilogy, Rey is on Jakku by chance (assuming Kylo can be believed, which is certainly up for debate). I wonder how much that bothers JJ, and if he will change it.

Seems to me it isn't something that bothers JJ.... he created it.

The question is whether he did it all along with this ultimate reveal in mind. He's the one who made sure to show her as a child being abandoned there (yet not remembering her parents faces, etc.). It's RJ that made them junk traders and her a nobody - but that wouldn't even bother JJ if he always had this twist in mind. you could say whatever you want about her parents and still go this direction in the end.

We'll see.

bearamedic99
AG
Regarding Rey's jump over the fighter, which light saber Canon are we going by?

A) It'll cut thru the fighter like a hot knife thru butter with no resistance like in OT/PT?

or

B) It'll hit resistance and be ripped out of her grip while her shoulder is wrenched from its socket like the lousy lightsabers of the NT?
redline248
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

redline248 said:

The question is whether he did it all along with this ultimate reveal in mind. He's the one who made sure to show her as a child being abandoned there (yet not remembering her parents faces, etc.). It's RJ that made them junk traders and her a nobody - but that wouldn't even bother JJ if he always had this twist in mind. you could say whatever you want about her parents and still go this direction in the end.

We'll see.

I should clarify what I meant. I wonder if it bothers him that Rian decided to make everything JJ set up as completely random. He never planned to do another movie in this saga, so it is his own fault if he had a specific idea in mind. I just wonder if he expected the next guy to make it meaningful, I guess.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
redline248 said:

Zombie Jon Snow said:

redline248 said:

We'll see.

I should clarify what I meant. I wonder if it bothers him that Rian decided to make everything JJ set up as completely random. He never planned to do another movie in this saga, so it is his own fault if he had a specific idea in mind. I just wonder if he expected the next guy to make it meaningful, I guess.

Ok I get that - but from JJ point of view it doesn't matter (if this theory is true). It can all be retconned. If nobody knew how she was created then what they said was true - from what they knew at the time.
TCTTS
AG
Spoiler tags please. Ha, I feel responsible now.
First Page Last Page
Page 56 of 194

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.