*** STAR WARS: THE RISE OF SKYWALKER ***

740,139 Views | 6770 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SpreadsheetAg
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bobinator said:

TCTTS said:

If any Sith figured out how, it'd be Palpatine.
*going way out into theory world here*

I think this is maybe what Kylo is trying to do in this movie, connect with him somehow.

That could be pretty cool. The one thing that's always bugged me with Kylo's Vader worship is that Vader ultimately turned good again. And surely Kylo knows that. So why does Kylo revere only the bad things that Vader "started"? That never made sense to me. It makes a lot more sense for Kylo to worship Palpatine in that regard.
AgLaw02
AG
Ag Since 83 said:

Canonically it's also been stated (by Obi-Wan to Maul) that Luke is the Chosen One so who the hell knows
That doesn't cannonically establish Luke as the Chosen One. Rather, it cannonically establishes that Obi-Wan believed Luke was the Chosen One.
Render
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

Render said:

Good.

I'm sure 9 will be fine. Enjoyable, yet bland.

But the big thing I'll take away from this whole sequel trilogy fiasco is a feeling of wasted potential.

You started with the OT cast and a good director who loves SW - and the best you could come up with was 3 ultimately mediocre films? Sad.

I love the people that already define a movie before seeing it - insipid fanboy trashing and predetermined slotting. everything is always meh and can be nitpicked as needed to fit that narrative after the fact.

Not at all. I think it will be a fine, serviceable movie, if ultimately disappointing given the opportunity Disney had. That missed opportunity for greatness, and instead taking the easy route and retreading old ground is why I call the sequel trilogy mediocre.

If I'm wrong in my prediction about 9 I'll happily eat crow, but 7 and 8 deserve the "mediocre" label, imo.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
redline248
AG
Edit: replying to the last post on previous page.

Yeah, when I linked it I said I could see Palps showing up in a similar manner. Has Rey mastered the Force enough to realize he's a powerless shadow?
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Render said:

Zombie Jon Snow said:

Render said:

Good.

But the big thing I'll take away from this whole sequel trilogy fiasco is a feeling of wasted potential.

You started with the OT cast and a good director who loves SW - and the best you could come up with was 3 ultimately mediocre films? Sad.

I love the people that already define a movie before seeing it - insipid fanboy trashing and predetermined slotting. everything is always meh and can be nitpicked as needed to fit that narrative after the fact.

Not at all. I think it will be a fine, serviceable movie, if ultimately disappointing given the opportunity Disney had. That missed opportunity for greatness, and instead taking the easy route and retreading old ground is why I call the sequel trilogy mediocre.

If I'm wrong in my prediction about 9 I'll happily eat crow, but 7 and 8 deserve the "mediocre" label, imo.

Still defining a movie you have not seen. 7 and 8 might be valid (your opinion) but 9.......... tbd.
jabberwalkie09
AG
redline248 said:

Edit: replying to the last post on previous page.

Yeah, when I linked it I said I could see Palps showing up in a similar manner. Has Rey mastered the Force enough to realize he's a powerless shadow?

Does that matter? I'm not sure that anything can stop her. I mean, if she wrecks shop in IX we're going to need a new over 9000 meme specific to Star Wars.
TCTTS
AG
I agree that Vader becoming a Force ghost made no sense. That was super dumb. But his final "good" act can be just that. It's not a scale. It's not about erasing past sins or trying to outweigh those sins with good. He did what was right in the end and that's all that matters. It doesn't make up for his past sins, but that's not the point.
PatAg
AG
I wonder if they have the guts to kill Rey in this movie...assuming there is a way for that to happen that makes for a good story.
jabberwalkie09
AG
TCTTS said:

I agree that Vader becoming a Force ghost made no sense. That was super dumb. But his final "good" act can be just that. It's not a scale. It's not about erasing past sins or trying to outweigh those sins with good. He did what was right in the end and that's all that matters. It doesn't make up for his past sins, but that's not the point.

I'll admit that I've gone back and forth on whether Anakin was actually redeemed at the end of ROTJ much for the reasons pointed out, but that's a good point.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Sex Panther
AG
PatAg said:

I wonder if they have the guts to kill Rey in this movie...assuming there is a way for that to happen that makes for a good story.

They bring on Weiss and Benioff already?
jabberwalkie09
AG
PatAg said:

I mean they whacked everyone in Rogue One, so it's not outside the realm of possibility but I think there's really only one way that happens: Kylo and Rey both die and the force dies/is sealed with their death.

And I hate that I typed that because that sounds awful.
Render
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

Render said:

Zombie Jon Snow said:

Render said:

Good.

Still defining a movie you have not seen. 7 and 8 might be valid (your opinion) but 9.......... tbd.

That's true, I haven't seen it. But I saw the teaser, and made a prediction about how I think the movie is going to be. People do that all the time. It's normal. And I even said, "If I'm wrong about 9 I'll happily eat crow".

I understand you don't like fanboys who hate on everything. I don't like them either, and I'm not doing that. I simply made a guess after seeing the teaser. Plus I have 2 prior films to base my assumption on.

If it seemed overly harsh to you - me calling 9 "mediocre" before I've seen it - that was just me being overly pithy. People do that all the time because its a convenient way to communicate.
Flashdiaz
AG
I wonder if Kyle is going to finish what Vader started and kill Sidious for good
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Madmarttigan
AG
Sadly I liked that cast of characters more than the new trilogy but they all got killed off
jabberwalkie09
AG
C@LAg said:

jabberwalkie09 said:

PatAg said:

I mean they whacked everyone in Rogue One,
But that was almost required/foreordained by what we knew going into the movie....

It was ballsy from a movie POV, but it was not ballsy within the context of the story.

Eh, I both agree and disagree. Within the confines of the story it made narrative sense to have such a daring strike come at such a high cost. But I think that they could have found a way to keep some alive if they wanted, especially for a merchandising standpoint.

Now I want to go watch R1 again.
TCTTS
AG
C@LAg said:

TCTTS said:

Almost at the end, he was even trying to convince Luke to join him so they could overthrow the Emperor and rule the Galaxy together, in the typical Sith pattern of killing your master, so killing Palpatine was already on Vader's mind at some point in the future (but most assuredly not as quickly as it came)

Yes, he saves his son for a good reason, because he sees the good in him and does not want it to be extinguished. But he never rejects or renounces the evil in himself.

That is not redemption to me.

I cannot accept that. We will have to disagree on this point.

I'm saying the concept of redemption itself is irrelevant. Vader was a guy who did a lot of bad things who - because of his son - then did a good thing in the end. That's it. Who cares if he was "redeemed"? I have a problem with him becoming a Force ghost not because I think he didn't "earn" it - I don't care if he earned it or not - I have a problem with him becoming a Force ghost because that's not how becoming a Force ghost works (according to how the process had been portrayed up until that point in the story).
Render
AG
C@LAg said:

TCTTS said:

Almost at the end, he was even trying to convince Luke to join him so they could overthrow the Emperor and rule the Galaxy together, in the typical Sith pattern of killing your master, so killing Palpatine was already on Vader's mind at some point in the future (but most assuredly not as quickly as it came)

Yes, he saves his son for a good reason, because he sees the good in him and does not want it to be extinguished. But he never rejects or renounces the evil in himself.

That is not redemption to me.

I cannot accept that. We will have to disagree on this point.

Despite the narrative, SW does not have complex morality or philosophy. The movies were made for general audiences, but the morals were specifically geared for children. (That's not a cut at SW, just being honest.) So of course an adult with adult reasoning will think the morals of SW are lacking nuance. Adults are not meant to feel that the morals are fulfilling, because the morals weren't designed to appeal to adults.
redline248
AG
I'm finally going through my Twitter feed from earlier, and I saw this tweet from someone I follow for football stuff.

Daveintx
Has it already been discussed the use of Leiah's song?
YellowPot_97
AG
Warwick Davis going to come back as an older wiser Wicket?
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Ag Since 83
AG
Ag Since 83 said:

I would heavily feature Rey, Finn, and Poe on screen TOGETHER to try and drive home the point they aren't just going to split them up the whole movie and waste the capital of the relationships built in Episode VII like VIII did.
My post from 4/3

Thank you JJ, good to see this is a theme. Boyega also talked about wanting this before he read the script
GoAgs92
AG
That teaser was a whole lot of nothing...meh
D12Lloyd
AG
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet but could Skywalker, especially as it's referred to in the title, refer to a new Jedi/Sith. Maybe it could be used as a term for someone who embraces both the light and dark side. So maybe Rey embraces both the light and dark and they call that a Skywalker. Just an idea...
PatAg
AG
Sex Panther said:

PatAg said:

They bring on Weiss and Benioff already?
There is no critically and publicly acclaimed book series to use, so I doubt they'd take the job.
redline248
AG
I suggested it could refer the name Rey gives her new order. I didn't think about anyone walking the line between light and dark, though.
Batzarro
AG
Ironic how so many people are already saying JJ is fixing the poor decisions Rian made even though:

1. JJ introduced a main villain of that is the son of Han Solo and yet shares no characteristics with him and no backstory on how he could commit patricide.

2. JJ left out Luke Skywalker completely. With the exception of Leia, original cast is so underutilized that they are almost non-impacts to the story.

3. The entire plot of TFA is a complete rip off of A New Hope. TFA is to ANH as Fast and Furious 1 is to Point Break, (FF1 also almost a scene for scene rip-off except with cars).

4. Introduces other characters like Snoke, Knights of Ren, and Maz Kanata without any connection to anything. It's like a whole trilogy of **** was missed between Episode 6 and episode 7.

All in all I agree that TLJ had bad elements and weaknesses. The strongest elements where everything on Ach-To and perhaps the last standoff on Crait. Mark Hamil crushed it acting-wise and should have lived to fight another day. I'm betting JJ would have killed him off too. It grinds my gears that Rian said "his story was complete in Ep 7" and yet Dominic Toreto gets 8 ****ing Fast and Furious movies.
PatAg
AG
The first response on the official tweet for the trailer is perfect.
TCTTS
AG
GoAgs92 said:

That teaser was a whole lot of nothing...meh

"That teaser that's meant to do nothing more than tease was whole lot of being a teaser."
First Page Last Page
Page 53 of 194

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.