*** STAR WARS: THE RISE OF SKYWALKER ***

748,753 Views | 6770 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SpreadsheetAg
bobinator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Well, given that we know Anakin is described as not having a father, and that he has a midichlorian count that's off the charts, I don't think that's a very big jump to make.

Plus, again, to me the big thing is just the way that he looks at him as he says it.

It's definitely not like definite proof, but I think it at least meets the definition of a suggestion.
redline248
AG
Consider this: Palps hears about Anakin being born miraculously and then says, "that would make a good story about Sith power."
PatAg
AG
Their point is that it could, not that it does for sure
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Maybe they realized that they probably should try the MCU model and not the DCEU model.
TCTTS
AG
Exactly.

I don't get how this is/was being misunderstood. I was simply asking for definitive instances that DISPROVE the theory. That doesn't mean I believe the theory, or that it otherwise HAS to be true. That said, seeing as no definitive instances have been provided, the larger point remains that it could be a POTENTIAL Episode IX plot point. That is all.
Render
AG
Good.

I'm sure 9 will be fine. Enjoyable, yet bland.

But the big thing I'll take away from this whole sequel trilogy fiasco is a feeling of wasted potential.

You started with the OT cast and a good director who loves SW - and the best you could come up with was 3 ultimately mediocre films? Sad.
bobinator
AG
Yeah maybe. It might not tie in at all.

That's just my theory of what "The Rise of Skywalker" means. I think it refers to Anakin Skywalker.
TCTTS
AG
Big fan of this strategy. Hopefully IX ends on a high note, and then let's take a couple years to miss the franchise again (at least theatrically) and get pumped for whatever's next.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
redline248 said:

FFS, now we're going to take all 6 of the first movies and throw them in the trash with a "gotcha" reveal in 9?

Y'all really think it's so complicated?

I fail to see how it would trash the other 6 movies in any way.

It ties things back to them, it makes subtle things from them more important in retrospect, it helps with why TFA was so repetitive if it is ingrained in someone's makeup, it allows for reintroduction of some events and characters from them in a meaningful way (not simply nostalgia but central to the story) and it possibly closes the open threads on some mysteries. The SW universe has always been so tightly woven - and it continues that but in a way that explains why it is that way as well.

imho

redline248
AG
One thing I've learned from my time on the Internet: fans put way more thought and creativity into movies than film makers do.
Render
AG
redline248 said:

One thing I've learned from my time on the Internet: fans put way more thought and creativity into movies than film makers do.
Remember fan speculation for Lost?...
jabberwalkie09
AG
Render said:

Good.

But the big thing I'll take away from this whole sequel trilogy fiasco is a feeling of wasted potential.

You started with the OT cast and a good director who loves SW - and the best you could come up with was 3 ultimately mediocre films? Sad.

I think that the ST could still be salvaged if IX knocks of out of the park, which I don't really think is going to happen but since possible and probable is the theme of the day why not.

TFA laid really good ground work with characters and the state of the galaxy. There's some stuff that is head scratcher worthy in it, like how she suddenly could use the Jedi mind trick, use Luke/Anakin's lightsaber, etc but by in large the universe post OT is well defined.

Everything kind of fell apart in TLJ. Rey faces not much adversity to learn the ways of the Force, and can seemingly do whatever she wants. Finn seems to have regressed from TFA that instead of facing adversity, he's back to running from everything which is a stark contrast to where he was by the end of TFA. Then we have Poe who is supposed to be a great pilot and in TFA was shown to be more competent than he was depicted in TLJ.

That's just a few things. Considering that JJ had provided an outline for VIII and IX but that Johnson decided to not use those either in part or whole, Episode IX is going to face a significant uphill battle to win back the fans trust and to close off the Skywalker Saga in a manner that does the characters and franchise justice. JJ coming back I think gives people hope, but I don't know if he can stick the landing. But this is a consequence of letting the directors being given a pretty broad amount of authority for direction (like Snyder's vision and subsequent DCEU films) versus the here's the broad plan of what we want and you have to play within these bounds (MCU).
Madmarttigan
AG
I got the same old tingles watching the trailer and was almost sucked back in....

Until I heard the palpatine cackle, are you ****ing serious?

Can't they come up with something new you have to be kidding me.
Broba Fett
The page 37 theory is insane. This movie will bomb if that's what the plot revolves around.
bobinator
AG
I think that's true for sure, which is why when it comes to theories I try to think about two things when it comes to whether they're plausible.

1) What would this look like on screen - There can't be some kind of insanely complicated reveal on screen that takes minutes of backstory to fill in.

2) What does it have to do with anything? - Does this theory actually impact the plot of the current movie at all, because if it doesn't and it's mostly just backstory, it's probably not going to happen.

The problem with this movie is we're not really sure what the plot mechanics are because of what all happened in the last movie, so trying to figure out whether or not a theory is potentially relevant is hard to do. Anything could be important in this movie.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Yeah the main problem with 8 is that if you had just killed Kylo off, basically every storyline that was opened up in 7 could have been closed, and you wouldn't need a third movie. They are going to basically have to make this a stand-alone movie where we know all of the characters.
Madmarttigan
AG
Also I will have to add if they are seriously bringing back the emperor again that just ****ing ****s all over the original trilogy and one of the greatest moments of my childhood with Vader's redemption and killing the emperor.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
bobinator
AG
I like the Palpatine laugh. The same way that Luke's legacy is living on, so is the emperor's. I thought it was a nice duality to the "noone's ever really gone" line.

It's another reason why I think Anakin's origins are going to matter.
jabberwalkie09
AG
tv1113 said:

Also I will have to add if they are seriously bringing back the emperor again that just ****ing ****s all over the original trilogy and one of the greatest moments of my childhood with Vader's redemption and killing the emperor.
Didn't someone mention hearing someone at Celebration say almost this in some way?

You don't happen to be in Chicago at Celebration do you?

And what C@lAg said.
Madmarttigan
AG
So honest question are sith able to come back in ghost form like the Jedi? I don't think I've ever seen that before.
TCTTS
AG
If any Sith figured out how, it'd be Palpatine.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Render said:

Good.

I love the people that already define a movie before seeing it - insipid fanboy trashing and predetermined slotting. everything is always meh and can be nitpicked as needed to fit that narrative after the fact.

redline248
AG
tv1113 said:

So honest question are sith able to come back in ghost form like the Jedi? I don't think I've ever seen that before.

Ever seen it happen, or ever seen the discussion? Cuz the discussion has definitely happened more than once in the main star wars thread.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
tv1113 said:

I got the same old tingles watching the trailer and was almost sucked back in....

Until I heard the palpatine cackle, are you ****ing serious?

Can't they come up with something new you have to be kidding me.

^case in point. you know nothing of the context of that - but you've decided already.
Render
AG
jabberwalkie09 said:

Render said:

Good.

I think that the ST could still be salvaged if IX knocks of out of the park, which I don't really think is going to happen but since possible and probable is the theme of the day why not.

TFA laid really good ground work with characters and the state of the galaxy. There's some stuff that is head scratcher worthy in it, like how she suddenly could use the Jedi mind trick, use Luke/Anakin's lightsaber, etc but by in large the universe post OT is well defined.

Everything kind of fell apart in TLJ. Rey faces not much adversity to learn the ways of the Force, and can seemingly do whatever she wants. Finn seems to have regressed from TFA that instead of facing adversity, he's back to running from everything which is a stark contrast to where he was by the end of TFA. Then we have Poe who is supposed to be a great pilot and in TFA was shown to be more competent than he was depicted in TLJ.

That's just a few things. Considering that JJ had provided an outline for VIII and IX but that Johnson decided to not use those either in part or whole, Episode IX is going to face a significant uphill battle to win back the fans trust and to close off the Skywalker Saga in a manner that does the characters and franchise justice. JJ coming back I think gives people hope, but I don't know if he can stick the landing. But this is a consequence of letting the directors being given a pretty broad amount of authority for direction (like Snyder's vision and subsequent DCEU films) versus the here's the broad plan of what we want and you have to play within these bounds (MCU).
I agree. TFA laid a good foundation, despite being a IV clone. TLJ just threw a wrench into everything. Disney management should've guided RJ more.

To me, it seems Disney management was "hands on" with demanding callbacks to sell merchandise, but then was "hands off" with the story. That seems to be the opposite of Marvel, which was "hands on" with story and sparse on comic book callbacks.
jabberwalkie09
AG
tv1113 said:

Darth Bane in TCW appeared to Yoda.

He's not so much a force ghost in that he was only in his tomb. I forget all the details.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
C@LAg said:

palpatine does not have to be alive in the movie.

that is not to say he does not feature prominently.

but his appearances could all be force vision related, especially as they are at Death Star 2 searching for something so would be susceptible to dark side visions, kind of like the cave on Dagobah.

It could also be completely flashback. Or it could be completely voice over. We have no clue.
bobinator
AG
TCTTS said:

*going way out into theory world here*

I think this is maybe what Kylo is trying to do in this movie, connect with him somehow.
PatAg
AG
I think they should look to make stand alone movies in the Star Wars universe. Just good quality movies, doesn't have to be a series or feel like the original trilogy.
I feel like there is going to be a push back against any new series from any franchise, it's been the go-to for studios for over a decade now.
redline248
AG
jabberwalkie09 said:

tv1113 said:

He's not so much a force ghost in that he was only in his tomb. I forget all the details.

I linked that scene a few pages back. Just an illusion
jabberwalkie09
AG
TCTTS said:

Bro. Darth Bane way ahead of Sidious.

jabberwalkie09
AG
redline248 said:

jabberwalkie09 said:

tv1113 said:

I linked that scene a few pages back. Just an illusion

My point exactly. If Bane can appear as an illusion after, nothing stopping Sidious from having the same happen.

Also if if anyone hasn't seen Yoda's arc in TCW, you definitely should make an effort to do so.
First Page Last Page
Page 52 of 194

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.