***Godzilla: King of the Monsters***

48,442 Views | 437 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Capitol Ag
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I was sitting next to a group of what I can only assume were hardcore Godzilla fans. Absolutely freaking out at every major action scene, recognized every monster by name, etc. Was pretty fun to see actually.
Goro Majima
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I was sitting next to a group of what I can only assume were hardcore Godzilla fans. Absolutely freaking out at every major action scene, recognized every monster by name, etc. Was pretty fun to see actually.
I did the exact same thing. I spotted a bunch of really obscure references too.
AGnBCS
AG
So much potential , so much crammed in , so badly executed. I enjoyed it just because I love Big G but damn TC summed it up best . The dialogue was terrible to the point that I'm convinced even Dance is a bad actor now.

Give me more monsters and expand on some of the other cool elements ( the ancient underwater place ) sorry don't want to spoil it .
Goro Majima
AG
AGnBCS said:

So much potential , so much crammed in , so badly executed. I enjoyed it just because I love Big G but damn TC summed it up best . The dialogue was terrible to the point that I'm convinced even Dance is a bad actor now.

Give me more monsters and expand on some of the other cool elements ( the underwater place ) sorry don't want to spoil it .
So it's a Godzilla movie.
AGnBCS
AG
Goro Majima said:

AGnBCS said:

Give me more monsters and expand on some of the other cool elements ( the underwater place ) sorry don't want to spoil it .
So it's a Godzilla movie.

But why can't a Godzilla movie be something more is my point ?
TCTTS
AG
Exactly the question I have. Even having the exact same scenes but with better dialogue would have done wonders for my enjoyment. That's not too much to ask at all.
AGnBCS
AG
It's like they let the DCU guys take a crack at hashing out a story and just figured the action and players could make it great.
Goro Majima
AG
Honestly, can't answer that. But the monster action was just so off the chart that I loved it anyway.
TCTTS
AG
For me, I simply can't connect to the spectacle without connecting to the human characters. It's all just empty pixels and mindless fighting to me otherwise. And that's not meant as a dig to those who CAN enjoy the monster stuff without the humans. I just watch movies for different reasons, I guess, and I needed a captivating story and captivating characters for all those moments and all that imagery to land. But no one's motivations made a lick of sense, and I can only take so many characters endlessly narrating the plot.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Speaking of which.

Am I the only one who, for a split second, thought they were doing a crossover with Aquaman?
jeffk
AG
So is this more or less cringy-but-awesome than Pacific Rim?
TCTTS
AG
Frankly, I found both movies to be pretty boring. And while the action is technically "better" - or at least better-looking - in this movie, even Charlie Hunnam was more interesting than anyone in this movie, and that's saying a lot. His motivations at least made sense, as did most everyone else's. In this movie, however, it's just a bunch of puppets acting the way the plot needs them to act at any given moment, logic or common sense be damned.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Kyle Chandler was in PJ's King Kong, now he's in Godzilla.

And he's in Godzilla vs Kong.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
I watched this with a big grin on my face for its entire duration. That was a whole lot of fun. There was enough plot to keep me focused between the monster scenes. I understood at some level what motivated these characters, but even if I had not, I still would have loved this movie.

No way can Kong even stay on the same field with Godzilla.

I picked up on several things pulled from the original movies that perhaps casual viewers are not going to, most obviously the slim Asian gal who was a twin being a callback to the tiny Asians who would sing to wake Mothra. I also loved that the score included some of the original Godzilla music.

I anticipate sneaking out to see this again next week. Currently this is my second favorite movie of the year, behind only Endgame.
TCTTS
AG
I admittedly argue over varying opinions here more than most, but it's almost always from a desire to make clear WHY I have the opinion I do, and to explain myself rationally and with context, rather than to tell someone else they're wrong. One thing I've NEVER done here is tell someone with a differing opinion than me to "shut up." I cannot imagine being so insecure in my opinion that I feel the need to go off on yours. Have you seen me insult anyone here for enjoying this movie? No. I think it's great that so many of you got your money's worth. Genuinely. I'm not saying, "I can't believe you liked this." I'm explaining why *I* didn't. But yeah, go ahead and be d*ck over a monster movie. Seems like a perfectly reasonable thing to be.
Silky Johnston
Yikes. Didn't mean to hurt your feelings.
TCTTS
AG
The last thing you are capable of is hurting my feelings.
Silky Johnston
Well you seemed pretty ruffled by post.
Urban Ag
AG
Silky Johnston said:

Well you seemed pretty ruffled by post.
jeebus re-read your post.

You literally took a growler all over him.

y'all take this sh** way to serious.
TCTTS
AG
"Shut up, blowhard. Something something Hollywood garbage."

[Explains why telling someone to "shut up" for their opinion of a monster movie is lame.]

"Yikes. I didn't think you'd react so negatively to all the negative things I just said to you."
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS said:

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Congrats to all the badasses who don't give a sh*t about the human characters. We get it. Bad writing is still bad writing, though.

To be fair, the tone of your post here wasn't great. You may not have been trying to insult people, and I wasnt offended or anything, but it does seem to border on insulting or dismissive.

The big difference here are expectations. Me not expecting great human drama in this movie doesn't make me a badass any more than you expecting it makes you a blowhard.
TCTTS
AG
I get tired of people telling me to turn off my brain every time I don't like something, but I admittedly shouldn't have used that tone. Apologies.
TCTTS
AG
And expectations were definitely a part of it for me, even though mine dropped considerably in the 48 hours leading up to seeing it. But based on how measured and considered the last movie was (despite a few missteps), in addition to how awesome the trailers were and how cool/inspired the music in each one was, I was lead to believe this was going to be a cut above the typical monster fare in the human department. Especially considering the cast they managed to land.
Ambres
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Speaking of which.

Am I the only one who, for a split second, thought they were doing a crossover with Aquaman?
My brother kept saying to my son.. "Wait for it.. soon Ultraman will appear and get killed by King G. " For some reason he convince my son that Ultraman was in the movie.

Not sure why folks are getting upset on people opinions. I can respect TCTTS issue with the writing even though it didn't bother me as much.. due to my one caveat to every movie.. did I or my kids enjoy the movie.. if the answer is yes.. then I forgive bad special effect, bad acting or bad writing .. it is why people watch Sharknado. But I would expect people in the industry to have a higher standards.. that is their profession.

I mean the original Godzilla were much much much worse in writing and special effects. But I still remember waking up at 530 in the morning to catch this week Godzilla movie. My brother and I loved this movie because it brought back so many great memory from our childhood.

Bruce Almighty
AG
I thought the movie was ok. When the monsters were fighting each other, it was entertaining and well done. When the monsters weren't fighting each other, the movie was boring, the writing was awful and the acting was worse. This is a movie reminded me a lot of Pacific Rim. Worth watching once, but don't care to watch again. I guess there's a lot of Easter eggs to Godzilla fans, but to those of us that aren't, they're not going to mean anything to us. I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I liked the last Godzilla movie more.
Post removed:
by user
Rex Racer
AG
I could have sworn I saw this at one point.

https://images.app.goo.gl/9J8mYfVjorp7mCsNA
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
This is the correct decision.
John Matrix
AG
I can't argue with really anything TCTTS said in his review, yet I still liked KOTM. It's not the instant classic I thought I t was going to be, but it gets the job done, flaws and all.

For one thing, the family element in this was actually far more involving than in Godzilla 2014. Chandler, Varmiga, and Brown actually make me kind of sort of care, which is actually quite an improvement from the 2014 film. Yet, there is no denying character motivation in this is a mess. Dr. Sarazawa, for example, is actually kind of a terrible character. He goes from believing the we should be Godzilla's pet to criticizing Emma for unleashing these monsters, which is in essence the same thing. His sacrifice, an obvious reference to the original film, also rings hollow.

That being said, the one thing this film had to absolutely get right was love for these monsters, and it pulls that off in spades. King Ghidorah, Godzilla, Mothra, and Rodan are terrifyingly tendered and kind of awe inspiring.

In the end, the whole thing averages out to pretty good, which is par for the monster verse so far. These aren't great films, but they're well-meaning and effective enough to be entertaining.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
BBRex
AG
I saw this last night, and I agree that the monster scenes are great, but what happens in between is not so good. I definitely blame the writers, not the cast. They try to work with what they have.

I still had a lot of fun watching this movie. My wife, on the other hand, nodded off a couple times.
expresswrittenconsent
With a purposeful grimace and a terrible sooooooound
He pulls the spitting high-tension wires dooooooown
zooguy96
Just saw the movie. Thought it was great. Really tied in the original Godzilla movies. Really showed Godzilla's original "attitude".
Tanya 93
This was such a fun movie to see with a group of 10-11 year old boys.

They all laughed me when I cheered when Mothra showed up.

Don't **** with Mothra. She is bad ass.
I do not want people to be very agreeable, as it saves me the trouble of liking them a great deal.

Jane Austen
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Quote:

Don't **** with Mothra. She is bad ass.
Except Ghidora, however that is spelled, vaporized her.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.