***Godzilla: King of the Monsters***

48,350 Views | 437 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Capitol Ag
Sex Panther
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Legitimately amazed at how much this sucked
TCTTS
AG
Ag Since 83
AG
It was pretty bad. Some cool monster fight moments, but really stupid humans and a really dumb villain plan.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
BBRex
AG
I'd argue "too much story, not enough monster fights." KOTM was at its best when the monsters were on screen.
BQCadet
AG
I'd agree that the story was meh and the dialogue was not good. I still enjoyed the movie because all that other stuff was just a vehicle to get me to Godzilla fighting Ghidora. And THAT was incredibly well done
Goro Majima
AG
BQCadet said:

I'd agree that the story was meh and the dialogue was not good. I still enjoyed the movie because all that other stuff was just a vehicle to get me to Godzilla fighting Ghidora. And THAT was incredibly well done
This is correct.
AGnBCS
AG
I'm not arguing that the story was the vehicle to get me to Ghidorrah vs Godzilla. I'm saying with all the money spent why not take the franchise to the next level and give me a great story too.

I mean that could be done right ?
Silky Johnston
Ask the guy that works in Hollywood. It seems like if it were just that easy to take a movie to the next level, then every movie made could and should be masterpieces.
BQCadet
AG
AGnBCS said:

I'm not arguing that the story was the vehicle to get me to Ghidorrah vs Godzilla. I'm saying with all the money spent why not take the franchise to the next level and give me a great story too.

It kind of seems like if it could be done in a Godzilla movie, they would have done it by now. I think the closest they ever came was Godzilla 1985
Solo Tetherball Champ
BQCadet said:

AGnBCS said:

It kind of seems like if it could be done in a Godzilla movie, they would have done it by now. I think the closest they ever came was Godzilla 1985
The Japanese version or the American? The American one is somewhat campy.
hurleyag
AG
Saw this Sunday afternoon and the only word I have for it is intense.
hurleyag
AG
However, a question just occured to me. The bad guys started the movie as essentially wanting the monsters released to restore order, and even wanted it done gradually before KG released them all at once. They seemed to keep this motivation even after the SHTF events and let Emma go when she wanted to stop KG. The question is does the post credit scene show their motive changed to wanting to sell KG DNA?
TCTTS
AG
I can't believe I'm defending the logic of this movie, but they weren't selling anything. They were buying a Ghidorah head, likely to try and recreate Ghidorah in some form or fashion. That seems to fall perfectly in line with their plan/motivation, essentially trying to finish what they started.
hurleyag
AG
I get that they were buying it to recreate it some how, but for what purpose. They essentially did finish their plan of releasing all the monster.
TCTTS
AG
I forgot about the reveal that Ghidorah was an alien and was trying to destroy the planet rather than "restore balance." So, yeah, I don't know. Maybe they don't want Godzilla as the alpha for some reason? Ha, at least I can go back to my position of this movie making no damn sense.
TCTTS
AG
Also, do we need to keep using spoiler tags? At this point, does anyone care? (literally asking)
Sex Panther
AG
I would guess they are going to try and create hybrid ghidora things with his dna, for whatever reason or more likely... Mecha Ghidora

That's dumb as hell but who cares. It's already stupid. Give me a giant three headed robot space dragon.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I just want to know who is the good guy, Kong or Godzilla.
Sex Panther
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

They're gonna fight and realize the true enemy is Mecha Ghidora Lannister after they realize their mom's have the same name
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Lady Mothra-heart will come back and get her revenge.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

The original painted Godzilla as the bad guy. If they go that route with the new one, well, it's not like I've never rooted for villains in movies in the past.

Put me down in the camp that there is no freaking way that oversized ape has a smidgen of a chance against the 'zilla.

The original movie was a fun point of contention between my dad and I. I'm going to spoiler tag this even though the movie is very nearly 60 years old. Godzilla kicked the ever living crap out of Kong in that movie, but when Kong received a jolt of electricity, that apparently evened the odds a bit, and the two went at each other through buildings, power lines, etc, until plummeting off a cliff into the ocean. The point of contention came with what we next saw, and what we didn't see - King Kong came out of the water in the distance, and we never saw Godzilla again. My dad maintained that meant the gorilla won; I said phooey on that garbage. Now apparently that was the US version of the movie; in the Japanese version, I've read that Godzilla roared off-screen to more directly imply his victory.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Put me down for Kong.

USA! USA!
hurleyag
AG
We all know what side Denzel Washington is on!
BurrOak
AG
I finally watched it. I loved it! The human part was ok, enough to get me by anyway. Every time the grey haired Monarch guy with glasses was on screen, all I could see and think of was that he was Happy Gilmore's arch nemesis. I think they tried to cram too much into this movie. Overall I was happy, I watched it for the monsters and was pleased with that. Mothra got shorted on screen time. Definitely wanted to see more of her. I thought the very end scene was pretty cheesy.

The Oxygen Destroyer bomb they used will come into play in a future movie, whether it's Godzilla vs Kong or another one (if that ever even happens). The same bomb was used in Godzilla vs Destroyah, and the bomb was what helped create Destroyah. I'm thinking the Ghidorah head plus the Oxygen Destroyer will spawn the creation of some new monster, and perhaps this will be a new monster villain in Godzilla vs Kong.
TCTTS
AG
Sex Panther said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

They're gonna fight and realize the true enemy is Mecha Ghidora Lannister after they realize their mom's have the same name

"Mothra."

TCTTS
AG
I mean... you move ONE letter and it's the exact same word, in basically the exact same "vs." scenario. And it's another WB blockbuster even. PLEASE do this, WB. All of this crap, from BvS to this, will have been worth it...
dreyOO
Quote:

Also the bad guys are liberal eco-terrorists so that was fun to explain to the kids instead of the generic big corporation/big military bad guys
Ha, nice!

ETA: Tonight is my anniversary and my wife is being cool enough to let me choose the movie. Is it Godzilla or John Wick 3? I'm leaning Godzilla...
Sex Panther
AG
John Wick 3

No question
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Who wins, 1000 John Wick-sized Godzillas, or 1 Godzilla-sized John Wick?
dreyOO
Thanks
HalifaxAg
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Put me down for Kong.

USA! USA!
lol...since when is Skull Island the USA? Talk about cultural appropriation...
BQCadet
AG
If they somehow have Kong being anywhere close to even strength with Godzilla, I will loudly boo in the theatre
hurleyag
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Who wins, 1000 John Wick-sized Godzillas, or 1 Godzilla-sized John Wick?
1 John Wick sized John Wick
Commander Gorn
AG
Just saw it and let me just say, I am maintaining an erection that I fully anticipate to last longer than 4 hours

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.