***Godzilla: King of the Monsters***

48,363 Views | 437 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Capitol Ag
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Refresher.
c-jags
Brian Earl Spilner said:

A theater out of soda? Literally their biggest source of income?

Wow. Sounds like it's pretty terribly run.

Cinemark in Temple had a broken popcorn machine for a few weeks. No popcorn for Shazam or Endgame.

I thought I was ordering a shake at McDonalds.
Baba Ganoush
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I'm staying till the credits are done to make sure.
Buddy of mine saw this last week and confirmed there is end credits scene, but didn't give details. He's the biggest Godzilla fan I've ever met, as we're going to see it tonight, but he enjoyed it. I think the monster fighting was top notch, but maybe it drags a bit when it comes to the human element of the story.
Bruce Almighty
AG
zooguy96 said:

It's Godzilla. You don't go to see it for the "drama" or "storyline". You go to see it to watch huge monsters beat the crap out of each other and destroy everything.

Dumbass reviewers.

I'll agree and disagree with this post. With these movies, you don't go for the drama, but that doesn't mean the story can't be compelling and well done. Look at Transformers. What sets Bumblebee apart from all the other awful films in the franchise? It's the story. Even the 1986 animated movie had a story that made the movie worth watching. Robots, monsters or whatever, destroying **** for two hours gets boring if the story is crap.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
c-jags said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

A theater out of soda? Literally their biggest source of income?

Wow. Sounds like it's pretty terribly run.

Cinemark in Temple had a broken popcorn machine for a few weeks. No popcorn for Shazam or Endgame.

I thought I was ordering a shake at McDonalds.
Several years ago I did an Indiana Jones marathon (all 4 movies) at the AMC in Sugar Land. At the time they were doing some upgrade work in the lobby, and some bozo had cut some water line ... they had no drinks to dispense out of the machines, and while they were selling bottled drinks, they were some strawberry girlie drinks or some such. I managed to enjoy seeing all of those movies despite having nothing to eat or drink - wasn't going to get popcorn if I had nothing to wash it down with.
TCTTS
AG
This is duuuuuuuuuumb.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Ambres
AG
Just got out of the movie.. won't spoil it but will say the following.

1. The monster are awesome and the fights between the different monster are great.
2. If you expect to hear great dialogue.. sorry you will be dissappointed.
3. They capture the lore and the background perfectly.. they added details that only a true Godzilla fan would catch.

Again not going to write more.. since I don't want to spoil any of it.. but will say that this was the kind of movie that I use to love as a Kid and had a great time watching with my sons.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Don't care about any critics. That movie was ****ing awesome.

HUGE cheers at the end in my theater.
TCTTS
AG
Monster action was fine / fun at times. Dialogue/human characters were atrocious. Not campy bad, but straight up bad bad. Absolutely ruined it for me. Could not care less about Godzilla vs Kong after this.
TCTTS
AG
C@LAg said:

Empire - Ben Travis
May 28, 2019

Globe-trotting but not adventurous, action-packed but not remotely exciting, utterly overstuffed and completely paper-thin. Nuke it from orbit.

That's because the staggeringly poor script merely has everyone standing around and explaining the plot and their personal motivations to one another in dialogue so clichd that it goes far beyond winking B-movie pastiche. When characters aren't spouting dramatically inert Monarch-centric exposition that only exists to establish Wikipedia-dump franchise lore, they're somehow mysteriously guessing Godzilla's own intentions. And yet what little character traits are established are inconsistent and routinely ignored

This. So much this.
zooguy96
I didn't watch the original Godzilla movies for human dialogue. I could honestly care less about the human dialogue. Just care if they match the movie more to the original movies.
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, yeah, yeah. Congrats to all the badasses who don't give a sh*t about the human characters. We get it. Bad writing is still bad writing, though.
TCTTS
AG
More than anything, I just felt kind of depressed for Coach Taylor for two hours.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
It's a freaking Godzilla movie.

This movie gave me what I wanted, in spades.

Not to mention it's literally The Godfather next to the likes of any Transformers sequel.
TCTTS
AG
The plot wasn't half bad, though. My point is, it didn't HAVE to have terrible dialogue. I don't know why anyone wouldn't want a more enjoyable experience when it would have been fairly easy to do so by just taking one more pass at the dialogue at the very least. I don't understand excusing laziness / people getting paid to deliver bland, cliched dialogue. Fixing that alone would have done wonders (along with just a bit more character development).
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Legitimately never thought twice about the dialogue. It did its job of moving the plot along. And was even funny at times.
TCTTS
AG
Man, the scene where Chandler/Farmiga argue in front of everyone via the giant monitorsmade me roll my eyes maybe worse than any other scene in recent blockbuster memory. Straight up cringe-worthy. Literally every line Chandler has is either explaining his emotions or explaining something else. All the humans do is explain and explain and explain and it was just mind numbing to me. To each his own, I guess, but I found it all to be excruciating.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The thing I noticed in that scene was that she had a PowerPoint slide presentation ready to go.
TCTTS
AG
Ha, yes! I noticed that as well.
BQCadet
AG
I liked it a lot. They made Ghidora so menacing. Captured the monsters perfectly. Loved Mothra. Rodan was awesome. There was a ton of campy moments, but I still dug it. I just get this bad feeling they are setting up Godzilla to be the villain in Godzilla vs. Kong and I will be pissed if that's the case
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Godzilla was the villain in the original. Not that the originally movie should have any bearing on the new one.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Yeah as soon as she said "for now" I knew that's where they were going. Which I'm glad cause I'm rooting for Kong.
BQCadet
AG
Hell no. There is no way in hell Kong should have a chance against Godzilla. And they have set Godzilla up as the hero in the first two films. How will they explain that he is suddenly bad? Because reasons?
RadAg14
AG
That final scene/shot was amazing
InternetFan02
AG
Great dumb fun summer movie. Kids loved it. Could have used Tywin Lannister better - only had 1-2 memorable scenes. I prefer Kong Skull Island but this was entertaining - lots of knee slapping moments. I was expecting more of a horror/serious tone going in but I hadn't really followed it much.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Quote:

Because reasons?
LeonardSkinner
Appropriate for a 9 year old?

Last movies I saw with him were "Detective Pikachu" and "How to Train Your Dragon 3."
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Yes.

I think there's one f-bomb and one ****.
Saxsoon
AG
Was farmiga playing one of the worst roles I have ever seen her in? Absolutely. I almost wonder if that was the point because she was so off the edge after losing her son. Was some other stuff awful, yeah. But duck those fights were amazing. There were a few scenes that gave me deeper chills than a lot of horror films.
Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2012
InternetFan02
AG
LeonardSkinner said:

Appropriate for a 9 year old?

Last movies I saw with him were "Detective Pikachu" and "How to Train Your Dragon 3."
I'd say it's similar to the recent Jurassic worlds and Kong skull island - if he watched those he can handle this. Scary looking monsters, a few jump scares, and plenty of PG-13 cussing. Stranger things girl likes to drop S-bombs when she's scared...reminded me of the Goonies.

Also the bad guys are liberal eco-terrorists so that was fun to explain to the kids instead of the generic big corporation/big military bad guys
Goro Majima
AG
I watched it late last night and I don't think there's going to be a movie coming out this year that I will enjoy more. As a lifelong Godzilla fan, the amount of times I legitimately got chills were far too many to count.

Plus I caught a BUNCH of easter eggs.
Goro Majima
AG
Saxsoon said:

Was farmiga playing one of the worst roles I have ever seen her in? Absolutely. I almost wonder if that was the point because she was so off the edge after losing her son. Was some other stuff awful, yeah. But duck those fights were amazing. There were a few scenes that gave me deeper chills than a lot of horror films.
I was talking with two strangers I sat next to after. The common complaint critically was the human drama.

Well guess what? I could have done with even less human drama. The only way that movie could have been better to me would have it had been MORE Godzilla.
zooguy96
Goro Majima said:

Saxsoon said:

I was talking with two strangers I sat next to after. The common complaint critically was the human drama.

Well guess what? I could have done with even less human drama. The only way that movie could have been better to me would have it had been MORE Godzilla.

This. So much this. Again, screw the human drama. Go monsters!
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
From a fellow life-long Godzilla fan, your post makes me happy. Tickets tonight at 7:00 PM.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.