*** A QUIET PLACE *** (John Krasinski, Emily Blunt)

35,313 Views | 251 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Joseph Parrish
Rex Racer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
free_mhayden said:

Saw it this evening, thought it was very good but not particularly scary but I'm known to be overly-critical of horror/thrillers.

4) I didn't like how the "downstairs workspace" was alluded to be off-limits because of some big secret just so that they could have the hearing-aid-he-really-loves-me payoff at the end. That whole scene seemed like it was lifted right out of Signs.

I think the father just didn't want the deaf daughter to go downstairs because if she had stepped in the wrong place and made a creaking noise, she would not know that she needed to pause. That's how I took it, anyhow. It wasn't that he had a big secret down there.
schmendeler
AG
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

free_mhayden said:

Saw it this evening, thought it was very good but not particularly scary but I'm known to be overly-critical of horror/thrillers.

1) Because you all but knew Blunt and the baby would be safe, any of the scenes involving those two were robbed a little of suspense because you knew they would get out, just not how.

2) You are 2 weeks away from the due date and you decide then is the time to leave mom alone with a daughter who is being defiant and go teach the boy something that could have been taught a month prior when the baby coming wasn't a real risk?

3) I feel like they built this very detailed environment to live in and did well to still have a life -- but you have a system setup where you are communicating with neighbors and the like... you've got the tech to have full blown surveilance... you are smart enough to start building a hearing aid... So you'd think after a year+ in this environment you would have constructed more than a few rocket/fireworks type setups for when things get hairy after a lantern falling over, etc... that are a little more easily engaged. It seemed like in certain aspects they had to live in survivalist mode, but in other aspects they had plenty of working tech.

4) I didn't like how the "downstairs workspace" was alluded to be off-limits because of some big secret just so that they could have the hearing-aid-he-really-loves-me payoff at the end. That whole scene seemed like it was lifted right out of Signs.

Overall it definitely gets a thumbs up for me, but not interesting/scary/thrilling enough to think I'll ever watch it again. Reminds me a lot of Signs in that it has some intriguing elements and is well acted, but it's something I'll only see parts of again if it happens to be on TBS late at night.
i agree with a lot of this.

i was really looking forward to this movie and while i did very much enjoy it, its not a 2nd watch worthy movie to me personally. i know SIGNS keeps getting referenced here and I'll say that I did watch SIGNS multiple times and I think I enjoyed it more than this.

this movie is def not for everyone btw.

the thought of someone getting pregnant under those circumstances kept bothering me the entire movie for some reason. just doesn't seem like something someone with any common sense would do. again, liked the movie a lot, but not nearly as much as some other people obviously.
they show them praying. a lot of religious people don't use "common sense" when it comes to conception and pregnancy.

*lights match and throws it over shoulder as he walks away*
FancyKetchup14
AG
To be fair, if I were with Emily blunt I don't think I'd have the ability to use "common sense" either.
mhayden
Rex Racer said:

free_mhayden said:

I think the father just didn't want the deaf daughter to go downstairs because if she had stepped in the wrong place and made a creaking noise, she would not know that she needed to pause. That's how I took it, anyhow. It wasn't that he had a big secret down there.

But she was allowed pretty much to go anywhere else she wanted to go... and she was allowed up in her bedroom... but she's not allowed in one of the 1 or 2 most critical rooms when it comes to family safety/suvival? It just seemed like they made it a point for her not to go down there as a setup for what she found down there at the end.

And even that being said.. He'd been making new hearing aids for her pretty regularly -- so why was it some kind of big revelation to her to find them and have that be the "oh he really did love me" moment? It's not like he was keeping the work a secret.

Character finds out that something mysterious from earlier in the film was the key to stopping the alien invasion when certain death seems imminent... "Swing away" in Signs.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

the thought of someone getting pregnant under those circumstances kept bothering me the entire movie for some reason. just doesn't seem like something someone with any common sense would do. again, liked the movie a lot, but not nearly as much as some other people obviously.
This literally bugged me the entire movie. What a stupid decision.
schmendeler
AG
FancyKetchup14 said:

To be fair, if I were with Emily blunt I don't think I'd have the ability to use "common sense" either.
they have a whole pharmacy within walking distance. BC pills in abundance!
Chipotlemonger
AG
Saw it this afternoon. This is an excellent movie. Awesome theater experience, to boot.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Wow, it went even higher than the "revised" $47M projection.

I just love seeing small, original movies like this be hugely successful. Get Out last year, and now this.

This is a huge win for the genre and hopefully means we continue to get these kinds of movies.

Yeah, I mean honestly horror has been the only genre where groundbreaking ideas have been taking place the past couple of years. That, and your indie feelgoods.
snowdog90
FancyKetchup14 said:

I don't know if she's underrated but maybe under appreciated. Great roles in this, Sicario and Edge of Tomorrow.
Agreed. She was also awesome in Looper, one of my favorite movies.
GoAgs92
AG
they obviously wanted to replace their dead kid with another kid...which was dumb, the dad could have carried firecrackers in his pocket lit and threw them...dumb, Dad should have also put some tents near the waterfall so they could live there in relative safety..

Was a good movie but pretty easy to nitpick to death.

schmendeler
AG
GoAgs92 said:

Was a good movie but pretty easy to nitpick to death.

agreed. I've resisted the urge to do so, because the rest of it was so enjoyable.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Hm. Not sure I agree with all of this nitpicking.
AggieOO
This is getting as bad as the walking dead thread.
c-jags
i hate horror and really liked this one.

plot holes aplenty and an abrupt ending, but powerful movie on a shoestring budget.

super happy for John K. as an actor and director. i was worried he was going to be relegated to side roles or comedies (it's complicated, license to wed) but he seems to have hit a stride.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
OldArmy71
AG
Just got back. I enjoyed it. Lots of tension. Excellent acting. Lots of things going wrong all at once, but it's a movie......

I liked Signs better.

I was invited into a Facebook group that talks about movies, and the Leftist writer for the New Yorker wrote this piece (CONTAINS SPOILERS). Pretty wild analysis. https://www.newyorker.com/culture/richard-brody/the-silently-regressive-politics-of-a-quiet-place?mbid=social_facebook_movieclub

Quote:

The one sole avowed identity of the Abbott parents is as their children's defenders; their more obvious public identity is as a white rural family. The only other people in the film, who are more vulnerable to the marauding creatures, are white as well. In their enforced silence, these characters are a metaphorical silent--white--majority, one that doesn't dare to speak freely for fear of being heard by the super-sensitive ears of the dark others.
Sex Panther
AG
OldArmy71 said:

Just got back. I enjoyed it. Lots of tension. Excellent acting. Lots of things going wrong all at once, but it's a movie......

I liked Signs better.

I was invited into a Facebook group that talks about movies, and the Leftist writer for the New Yorker wrote this piece (CONTAINS SPOILERS): https://www.newyorker.com/culture/richard-brody/the-silently-regressive-politics-of-a-quiet-place?mbid=social_facebook_movieclub

Quote:

The one sole avowed identity of the Abbott parents is as their children's defenders; their more obvious public identity is as a white rural family. The only other people in the film, who are more vulnerable to the marauding creatures, are white as well. In their enforced silence, these characters are a metaphorical silent--white--majority, one that doesn't dare to speak freely for fear of being heard by the super-sensitive ears of the dark others.

Holy Jesus... the ridiculous **** that some "intellectuals" will come up with. How can anyone read this with a straight face?
schmendeler
AG
OldArmy71 said:

I liked Signs better.

I was invited into a Facebook group that talks about movies, and the Leftist writer for the New Yorker wrote this piece (CONTAINS SPOILERS): https://www.newyorker.com/culture/richard-brody/the-silently-regressive-politics-of-a-quiet-place?mbid=social_facebook_movieclub

Quote:

OldArmy71
AG
My thoughts exactly. Reads like an Onion piece.
TCTTS
AG
I defend critics more than most on here, but definitely not this asshat.
HeadGames
AG
That "critic" is a joke, should be shunned.

With that being said, I enjoyed the movie a lot. My biggest gripe is that the movie is so quiet(no crap), that I would hear explosions from black panther or what ever next door. Super annoying.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
As expected, Krasinki's career about to skyrocket.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/john-krasinski-plans-sci-fi-thriller-life-mars-quiet-place-team-1101825
Sex Panther
AG
I really think he has something with Marvel going on as well
MEEN Ag 05
AG
Just saw it, really enjoyed it.

Gotta wonder why they were wondering about the aliens' weakness - the fact that they run to the loudest sound they hear is their weakness...

Why would you not have a rope rigged in every room that you could pull on and ring a huge bell outside as a distraction??

Or dig a pit and trap them, or run them over a cliff with a loud noise, Tremors style:

I'll stop there. I'm just thinking that country boys in the south were probably dining on alien gumbo....
KidDoc
AG
Great movie and theater experience glad I saw it.

My few points I'll hide in spoiler tags.

You can't just pop some oxygen into an infant's sealed box. They produce this whole carbon monoxide molecule with breathing and no matter how much O2 you pump in the infant will die.

They totally stole this whole concept from the PS4 game "The Last of Us". The monsters in this were less humanoid but made the same clicking noise and were blind just like the clickers in that game.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Chipotlemonger
AG
:YAWN:
KidDoc
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

:YAWN:
I just don't want parents to try this at home when the sound hunting monsters take over the world!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
AggieIce
AG
Do NOT go see this movie at a mall of any kind
SeattleAgJr
AggieIce said:

Do NOT go see this movie at a mall of any kind
WTF goes to malls anymore?

There is this thing called "Amazon". You should look into it.
Oknows
AG
Went last night. Definitely some things left open for nitpicking, but what a fantastic movie-going experience. Never been in a theater that quiet. Had to stop drinking my bourbon and coke so I didn't have to go to the restroom.
aTmLoKi
AG
Went to see it tonight and loved it...but...

1. Had a lady fall down the steps in the theater and
2. Someone started choking on their popcorn in the middle of the movie.

I kept waiting for a creature to run out and finish the job.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
Saw it tonight. It was enjoyable but like always, the entertainment board greatly overrates it. I'd give it maybe a 6 out of 10. Very original, very well acted, decently suspenseful, but the items to be "nit-picked" mentioned earlier, plus some others (and one that completely contradicts the story's own narrative) are just too much to overcome for me.
TCTTS
AG
If by "the entertainment board" you mean "Rotten Tomatoes" (Certified Fresh at 95%) and "overwhelming enthusiasm from general audiences," then yes, we greatly overrated it.
Mozart Paintings
AG
Yelnick McWawa said:

Saw it tonight. It was enjoyable but like always, the entertainment board greatly overrates it. I'd give it maybe a 6 out of 10. Very original, very well acted, decently suspenseful, but the items to be "nit-picked" mentioned earlier, plus some others (and one that completely contradicts the story's own narrative) are just too much to overcome for me.
Big Cat `93
AG
aTmLoKi said:

Went to see it tonight and loved it...but...

1. Had a lady fall down the steps in the theater and
2. Someone started choking on their popcorn in the middle of the movie.

I kept waiting for a creature to run out and finish the job.

That's awesome.

Saw it last night. It's definitely a heck of a ride.

During one of the quietest and most suspenseful moments, someone down front dropped an "Oh f*** no."

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.