*** A QUIET PLACE *** (John Krasinski, Emily Blunt)

35,405 Views | 251 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Joseph Parrish
Laser Wolf
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I thought it was good, but a few things bothered me.

If the movie was made to show what a parent would do for their kids, why did they leave their youngest kid behind them at the beginning of the movie? It seems like you'd want to keep an eye on him all the damn time.

Also, I didn't get why the deaf girl's hearing aid only made high pitched noises when the monsters were near.
TCTTS
AG
Laser Wolf said:

I thought it was good, but a few things bothered me.

If the movie was made to show what a parent would do for their kids, why did they leave their youngest kid behind them at the beginning of the movie? It seems like you'd want to keep an eye on him all the damn time.

Also, I didn't get why the deaf girl's hearing aid only made high pitched noises when the monsters were near.

To your first point, Blunt's character literally said that she should have carried him. The fact that she didn't haunted her and that's what gave both her and Krasinski's character the resolve to protect their kids at any cost from that point on. Hence why Krasinski died for them in the end.

As to your second issue, did you not see the lights anytime the creatures were around or the TV monitors when the creature was in the basement? Any electronics flickered or became scrambled in their presence. Same with the hearing aid, except in return, when its very specific frequency went haywire, it amplified the signal and had a negative effect on the creatures. Krasinski had tried countless iterations of various frequencies in order to help his daughter and though the latest one didn't help her hear, it was unique enough to somehow serve as a weapon against the creatures.
AGinHI
AG
Damn!
“We don't have a government of the people, by the people, for the people. We have government of the people, by the bureaucrats, for the bureaucrats.”

-Milton Friedman
Josepi
AG
A couple of questions.

Why did they light the fires are night, and who were lighting the other fires? My guess was that it was a way for the families still alive to signal to each other that they were ok. I don't know though.

What did the red lights around the house mean? My guess was that it meant danger, and to be quiet/stay away. My wife thought it meant that the baby was coming.
BassCowboy33
Josepi said:

A couple of questions.

Why did they light the fires are night, and who were lighting the other fires? My guess was that it was a way for the families still alive to signal to each other that they were ok. I don't know though.

What did the red lights around the house mean? My guess was that it meant danger, and to be quiet/stay away. My wife thought it meant that the baby was coming.

1. Yes. It was a "we're not alone" type thing.

2. It meant the baby was coming. With the way they had to live their lives, Blunt couldn't make a phone call or scream. It was a way to relay that information so that the family would be able to "man the stations" so to speak without sound.
schmendeler
AG
I think the red lights were a warning about something at the house. It makes no sense to rig up that whole system for the chance that the baby might come on the one time they were all away. Babies don't come that fast in real life.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Wow, it went even higher than the "revised" $47M projection.

I just love seeing small, original movies like this be hugely successful. Get Out last year, and now this.

This is a huge win for the genre and hopefully means we continue to get these kinds of movies.
500,000ags
AG
I saw it yesterday. It was damn good.

I think Krasinksi can be "simple" in his work sometimes, that's at least what I thought of the Promised Land script and The Hollars. That subject matter was probably too heavy for his style.

A Quiet Place was clean, well-acted, and suspenseful.
FancyKetchup14
AG

Sex Panther
AG
Pretty cool, the daughter is actually deaf. Krasinksi pushed hard for a deaf actress in the part.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/a-quiet-place-john-krasinski-pushed-cast-millicent-simmonds-1100644
BassCowboy33
schmendeler said:

I think the red lights were a warning about something at the house. It makes no sense to rig up that whole system for the chance that the baby might come on the one time they were all away. Babies don't come that fast in real life.

She was on her way to the basement to throw the lights before there was any danger, so that theory doesn't work.

Plus, if the red lights weren't about the baby, how did the dad and son know that a baby was on the way without ever going into the house?
Sex Panther
AG
I think you guys are overthinking the red lights... Danger, Baby, Warning... whatever, something is wrong
schmendeler
AG
Sex Panther said:

I think you guys are overthinking the red lights... Danger, Baby, Warning... whatever, something is wrong

That's exactly my point. You don't rig up that whole thing only for a baby coming. It's a general warning system that happens to also work for a baby coming. It wasn't made for the baby. That's silly.
Rex Racer
AG
BassCowboy33 said:

schmendeler said:

She was on her way to the basement to throw the lights before there was any danger, so that theory doesn't work.

Plus, if the red lights weren't about the baby, how did the dad and son know that a baby was on the way without ever going into the house?

She knew that with the baby coming, there would be noise, and thus danger. Why not flip the lights in anticipation.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

John Matrix
AG
What a fantastic film! This is pretty much a model text on how to build suspense in a film. It's such a simple concept that is taken to its absolute limits in terms of story and execution. It's basically a silent film that plays as intense as the original Alien film.

TCTSS is absolutely Right in describing the birth scene as one of the most intense in recent cinematic history. More than the suspense however, character in theme or just as important in this film. Easily one of the best so far this year.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
schmendeler
AG
I also think this universe would interesting to explore further. Whether from the perspective of another group or family elsewhere in the world, or the story of the creatures' arrival.
TCTTS
AG
After these numbers, I'm sure it'll get a sequel.
Sex Panther
AG
I don't want any kind of sequel or spin off. I completely understand wanting to know more about the creatures, but that isn't what this movie is about... I don't need to know who they are, where they came from, or what this looks like on a global level. The brilliance of this movie was the small, self-contained story of this one family and the concept of not being able to make a sound to stay alive.

I just think less is more in this instance and expanding on it will ruin it.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
My thoughts exactly.
AGinHI
AG
Sex Panther said:

I don't want any kind of sequel or spin off. I completely understand wanting to know more about the creatures, but that isn't what this movie is about... I don't need to know who they are, where the came from, or what this looks like on a global level. The brilliance of this movie was the small, self-contained story of this one family and the concept of not being able to make a sound to stay alive.

These advance beings go around the universe creating life by sacrificing their own after drinking goo. They tire of Earth so they use their goo to create weapons and destroy humanity.

The creatures are the weapons.

Once that story gets fleshed out in a new trilogy, the original movie will be soo much better.
“We don't have a government of the people, by the people, for the people. We have government of the people, by the bureaucrats, for the bureaucrats.”

-Milton Friedman
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
I just don't get why they don't carpet the entire house. Or live near the waterfall. They had zero soundproofing outside of that storm shelter in the barn. Why would you live in a house with hardwood floors?
iceman08
AG
Just saw it today, really impressed. Solid movie, plus the creatures were well done.
TCTTS
AG
Agree 100%.
mhayden
Saw it this evening, thought it was very good but not particularly scary but I'm known to be overly-critical of horror/thrillers.

1) Because you all but knew Blunt and the baby would be safe, any of the scenes involving those two were robbed a little of suspense because you knew they would get out, just not how.

2) You are 2 weeks away from the due date and you decide then is the time to leave mom alone with a daughter who is being defiant and go teach the boy something that could have been taught a month prior when the baby coming wasn't a real risk?

3) I feel like they built this very detailed environment to live in and did well to still have a life -- but you have a system setup where you are communicating with neighbors and the like... you've got the tech to have full blown surveilance... you are smart enough to start building a hearing aid... So you'd think after a year+ in this environment you would have constructed more than a few rocket/fireworks type setups for when things get hairy after a lantern falling over, etc... that are a little more easily engaged. It seemed like in certain aspects they had to live in survivalist mode, but in other aspects they had plenty of working tech.

4) I didn't like how the "downstairs workspace" was alluded to be off-limits because of some big secret just so that they could have the hearing-aid-he-really-loves-me payoff at the end. That whole scene seemed like it was lifted right out of Signs.

Overall it definitely gets a thumbs up for me, but not interesting/scary/thrilling enough to think I'll ever watch it again. Reminds me a lot of Signs in that it has some intriguing elements and is well acted, but it's something I'll only see parts of again if it happens to be on TBS late at night.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Sex Panther said:

I don't want any kind of sequel or spin off. I completely understand wanting to know more about the creatures, but that isn't what this movie is about... I don't need to know who they are, where they came from, or what this looks like on a global level. The brilliance of this movie was the small, self-contained story of this one family and the concept of not being able to make a sound to stay alive.

Agreed. Just throw that money at Krasinski to make movies out of whatever other good ideas he has.
StringerBell
AG
saw it last night. really really enjoyed it.

the youngest child getting taken was shocking. helluva way to start the movie.

wife and i wondered how dumb they had to be to get pregnant through all this, but i guess things happen.

also really liked how the girls' deafness basically ended up saving the day
BassCowboy33
Champ Bailey said:

I just don't get why they don't carpet the entire house. Or live near the waterfall. They had zero soundproofing outside of that storm shelter in the barn. Why would you live in a house with hardwood floors?
From what I gathered, they moved out of the house and into the barn. The only practical purpose for the house was to store their equipment.
Max Power
AG
Got a chance to get out of the house yesterday and go see this, really great, highly recommend.

-Glad they didn't try to make sense of where the creatures came from and give any kind of backstory. The movie was mostly perfect for 90 minutes. No use adding to that and muddying the water.

-I don't think I've ever been to a movie that was that quiet for that long, a theater is where this movie is best seen. Glad I didn't buy popcorn for this one, would have sucked to have been that guy.

-I just really loved the scene where Blunt and Krasinski danced while listening to Neil Young.

-Is it possible that Emily Blunt is underrated as an actress? In a role where she basically said nothing for 90 minutes, she was just outstanding. I might be prejudiced though, because I might love her, Krasinski is a damn lucky man.
FancyKetchup14
AG
I don't know if she's underrated but maybe under appreciated. Great roles in this, Sicario and Edge of Tomorrow.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
TCTTS said:

After these numbers, I'm sure it'll get a sequel.
or maybe prequel if Krazinski wants to be in it
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
free_mhayden said:

Saw it this evening, thought it was very good but not particularly scary but I'm known to be overly-critical of horror/thrillers.

1) Because you all but knew Blunt and the baby would be safe, any of the scenes involving those two were robbed a little of suspense because you knew they would get out, just not how.

2) You are 2 weeks away from the due date and you decide then is the time to leave mom alone with a daughter who is being defiant and go teach the boy something that could have been taught a month prior when the baby coming wasn't a real risk?

3) I feel like they built this very detailed environment to live in and did well to still have a life -- but you have a system setup where you are communicating with neighbors and the like... you've got the tech to have full blown surveilance... you are smart enough to start building a hearing aid... So you'd think after a year+ in this environment you would have constructed more than a few rocket/fireworks type setups for when things get hairy after a lantern falling over, etc... that are a little more easily engaged. It seemed like in certain aspects they had to live in survivalist mode, but in other aspects they had plenty of working tech.

4) I didn't like how the "downstairs workspace" was alluded to be off-limits because of some big secret just so that they could have the hearing-aid-he-really-loves-me payoff at the end. That whole scene seemed like it was lifted right out of Signs.

Overall it definitely gets a thumbs up for me, but not interesting/scary/thrilling enough to think I'll ever watch it again. Reminds me a lot of Signs in that it has some intriguing elements and is well acted, but it's something I'll only see parts of again if it happens to be on TBS late at night.
i agree with a lot of this.

i was really looking forward to this movie and while i did very much enjoy it, its not a 2nd watch worthy movie to me personally. i know SIGNS keeps getting referenced here and I'll say that I did watch SIGNS multiple times and I think I enjoyed it more than this.

this movie is def not for everyone btw.

the thought of someone getting pregnant under those circumstances kept bothering me the entire movie for some reason. just doesn't seem like something someone with any common sense would do. again, liked the movie a lot, but not nearly as much as some other people obviously.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.