*** A QUIET PLACE *** (John Krasinski, Emily Blunt)

35,214 Views | 251 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Joseph Parrish
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I honestly don't understand what you're getting at. It IS a scary movie. I was definitely scared at times. Does that make it a horror movie? No.
mhayden
Flashdiaz said:

free_mhayden said:

And don't get me wrong I thought it was a solid film, but seems like everything these days coming down the pipe is "game-changing!" and "innovative!" and "truly terrifying".
it's called marketing. Do you similarly get upset when you click a 'you won't believe what this girl did' only to find out that yeah, you can believe it.

I think you just proved my point -- when you click on that "unbelievable" link and it's something believable you are going to be underwhelmed, even if what was depicted in the video was good/competent/interesting.

If you market something as "Scariest Movie of the Year" then it shouldn't be a surprise if people come out disappointed or underwhelmed, even if it was a solid movie.

And it's wholly naive to believe it wasn't marketed like that specifically to get the easy-$$$-horror-buff-crowd.

Again, I liked it -- but I see where people came out with a giant "meh".
TCTTS
AG
You're acting as if there's some great chasm between horror buffs and people who enjoy scary thrillers. When the Venn diagram between the two is shared more than it isn't. Besides, I'm soooo sick of horror snobs. People give me sh*t on here for taking things too seriously, but horror snobs make me look like an amateur in comparison. The Witch featured some of the most *horrific* imagery I've seen in years, and I was truly *horrified* more than once in that movie, but I was crucified on here for even casually referring to it as a "horror" movie because it didn't fit this extremely narrow definition of what apparently constitutes one. Horror buffs are as insufferable as Star Wars fanboys when it comes to corrections and technicalities, as evident by this thread. The rest of us don't give a sh*t if it's a "scary thriller" or a "horror movie" as long as its good.
mhayden
You guys seem to be getting really defensive about the movie towards someone who actually thought it was good.

If you cant understand why some "horror snobs" might have left the "scariest movie of the year" with a "meh" then i cant help ya.

Super 8 was as much a "scariest movie of the year" as A Quiet Place.
claym711
AG
It's still beyond ridiculous that people didn't just constantly play loud noises or live near loud noises, and that they just killed the thing with a shotgun.
Fenrir
The loud noises is definitely a bit of a plothole. Never mind how these things would ever hunt in a city as noisy as New York (so is new York safe?) But the shotgun killed it because the noise caused it to expose it's soft flesh. It has something like an exoskeleton armor normally.
Phat32
AG
It's hard to see how any of you enjoy movies. Unfollow.
Joseph Parrish
AG
I just saw this movie last night. It was great. If you still haven't seen this, watch it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.