*** A QUIET PLACE *** (John Krasinski, Emily Blunt)

35,314 Views | 251 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Joseph Parrish
FightinTexasAg15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Finally got around to watching the movie on Redbox yesterday. Really well done movie.
HoustonAg2106
AG
queso1 said:

I did not enjoy this movie. One thing that bothered me was where did they get the electricity?

What else bothered you?
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Watched this a couple nights ago. At first I was bothered by the absolute quiet (even though I knew why everything was quiet). Watching something like this in a theater has to be easier than at home with all kinds of distractions readily available. But once the story and characters drew me in, I got over the quiet and for the most part enjoyed the movie. It was pretty suspenseful, not a scary movie at all though, and there were some eyebrow-raising moments here or there. Solid creature feature. 8/10
tx1c
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Watching something like this in a theater has to be easier than at home with all kinds of distractions readily available.
This is why I made the effort to see it in the theater.
But then I had to be careful with snacks and drink and not make distracting noises.
Raptor
AG
Saw this last night.

Entertaining: Yes
Original: Yes-ish
Scary: No
Suspenseful: Yes

Worth 90 minutes of my time: Yes

Signs was better.
This post is for Cretaceous Level Subscribers only.

Cancelled
AG
HoustonAg2106 said:

queso1 said:

I did not enjoy this movie. One thing that bothered me was where did they get the electricity?

What else bothered you?

Jim and Jim's yell.
chiken
AG
I just watched it. SO. TENSE.
rhutton125
AG
Finally saw it. Noice.

Also saw Babadook. Scarier, but AQP was more tense.
phatpat21
Just finished it. Freaking loved it
Mike Elko
AG
It was a'ight. Entertaining, but some major holes, including a baby that doesn't cry very much.
91_Aggie
AG
Yeah, we just saw it last night (wife and I) and it was pretty darned "meh"

don't see what the hype was.

No real suspense. And didn't get the "tenseness" everyone else keeps talking about.

Essentially it had a gimmick of hardly anyone talking, and was essentially Signs but instead of being killed by water, they are killed with high-pitched sound

Freakin' move near the ocean where waves constantly crash and make noise and you'll be safe
Gramercy Riffs
AG
91_Aggie said:

Freakin' move near the ocean where waves constantly crash and make noise and you'll be safe
I haven't given it much thought, but how do you plan on getting there? What are you taking with you? How do you plan to build a home once you arrive?
mslags97
AG
Don't know how anyone can be this negative towards this movie. It may have holes. It may be "similar" to signs, but it was, in my opinion, and in most others' opinion, extremely well done and fun. And I don't see how you miss the tension at parts.

It was a really good movie. Maybe not great, but really good.
91_Aggie
AG
mslags97 said:

Don't know how anyone can be this negative towards this movie. It may have holes. It may be "similar" to signs, but it was, in my opinion, and in most others' opinion, extremely well done and fun. And I don't see how you miss the tension at parts.

It was a really good movie. Maybe not great, but really good

If you read my post, I said it was Meh. meh, is not "this negative"... it's apathetic.

Again, don't see what all the hype was about... they didn't really create that much tension.

"Oh, no we made some noise. Let's be real quiet and hope nothing gets us. Oh, something is coming. Will it find us.... oh noes... oh, we escaped again" [/TENSION]

It telegraphed everything essentially that was going to happen.

I had my daughters watching it who hate movies with tension and suspense... they really get caught up in the emotion and they just can't watch movies like that... they'll leave the room... but they were like "Oh, that was it... I thought you said this was supposed to be scary and suspenseful"

91_Aggie
AG
Gramercy Riffs said:

91_Aggie said:

I haven't given it much thought, but how do you plan on getting there? What are you taking with you? How do you plan to build a home once you arrive?

lots of homes near the ocean already... but yeah, the getting there might be a problem.. maybe on a boat going down a river... lots of noise on rivers.
Serious Lee
guess you had to see it at the theater to fully appreciate it. i imagine it was the first time that you could hear a pin drop in a crowded theater and that would certainly add to the tension. i watched it at home and thought it was boring as ****
FL_Ag1998
AG
I think most of you saying it was "meh" were in it strictly for thrills and suspense and surprise and tension, etc. That's not the point of the movie. Its not a horror movie in the sense of "let's watch it to be scared!".

The tense, terror-fraught world was simply the setting for watching this family try to remain a family in dire circumstances. Trying to do "normal" things like play board games while also trying to trap food so you could survive. Trying to raise your children with love and laughter while under constant extreme stress. And ultimately, trying to literally bring the next generation into the world while being hunted.

The tender moments....the mom teaching the son math, the dad and son actually talking out loud and shouting under the waterfall, the dad sacrificing himself at the end....those were the point of the movie. If all you got out of it was, "yeah, well, I wasn't scared", then you were watching it for the wrong reason.
PatAg
AG
91_Aggie said:

No real suspense. And didn't get the "tenseness" everyone else keeps talking about.

Essentially it had a gimmick of hardly anyone talking, and was essentially Signs but instead of being killed by water, they are killed with high-pitched sound

You didn't pay much attention if that is what you got from the movie. To be more clear, that's not an accurate description of what kills them.,
91_Aggie
AG
PatAg said:

91_Aggie said:

You didn't pay much attention if that is what you got from the movie. To be more clear, that's not an accurate description of what kills them.,
Well, I know it was a shotgun blast to the head that actually killed them... but it was their "weakness".

but go ahead and be as literal as possible to help prove your point.
91_Aggie
AG
FL_Ag1998 said:

I think most of you saying it was "meh" were in it strictly for thrills and suspense and surprise and tension, etc. That's not the point of the movie. Its not a horror movie in the sense of "let's watch it to be scared!".

The tense, terror-fraught world was simply the setting for watching this family try to remain a family in dire circumstances. Trying to do "normal" things like play board games while also trying to trap food so you could survive. Trying to raise your children with love and laughter while under constant extreme stress. And ultimately, trying to literally bring the next generation into the world while being hunted.

The tender moments....the mom teaching the son math, the dad and son actually talking out loud and shouting under the waterfall, the dad sacrificing himself at the end....those were the point of the movie. If all you got out of it was, "yeah, well, I wasn't scared", then you were watching it for the wrong reason.

then this movie was marketed horribly if I didn't realize this was just a movie about tender moments and self-sacrifice.

From Rotten Tomatoes main page for the movie:
Quote:

In the modern horror thriller A QUIET PLACE, a family of four must navigate their lives in silence after mysterious creatures that hunt by sound threaten their survival. If they hear you, they hunt you.

Quote:

Critics Consensus: A Quiet Place artfully plays on elemental fears with a ruthlessly intelligent creature feature that's as original as it is scary -- and establishes director John Krasinski as a rising talent.

from Wikipedia:
Quote:

A Quiet Place premiered at South by Southwest on March 9, 2018, and was released in the United States on April 6, 2018, by Paramount Pictures. It became a major box office hit, grossing $331 million worldwide and received acclaim from critics, who praised its originality, atmosphere, as well as the acting and directing, calling it a "smart, wickedly frightening good time".

from the Front page of the official "A Quiet Place" website, i.e. the movie makers marketing page:
"The Scariest and Most Innovative Movie of the Year"

From that same page:
Quote:

IF THEY HEAR YOU, THEY HUNT YOU.

In this "mind-blowingly tense"* thriller, a family must navigate their lives in silence to avoid mysterious creatures that hunt by sound. Knowing that even the slightest whisper or footstep can bring death, Evelyn (Emily Blunt) and Lee (John Krasinski) are determined to find a way to protect their children at all costs while they desperately search for a way to fight back. Hailed by critics as "sensationally gripping"** and "heart-pounding"***

So, I ask you Mr. "Iamverysmart guy who understand the nuances of movies better than all you Ugly Americans", if the movie makers market a movie as Horror, tense, suspenseful, and frightening, but then people were supposed to be watching for the reasons you listed, how was anyone supposed to know going in that this was really just a tender-hearted view of a family have tender moments in a world where monsters exist.
FL_Ag1998
AG
Hahaha, my God you're a touchy one aren't you. Quite the complex you have. I never said I was smarter than you, I simply said some of you were clearly watching strictly for the "thrills" and were missing/ignoring/not caring about the overall point.

And what does being an American have to do with my statement? Just curious. You clearly have some deep political issues.
91_Aggie
AG
FL_Ag1998 said:

Hahaha, my God you're a touchy one aren't you. Quite the complex you have. I never said I was smarter than you, I simply said some of you were clearly watching strictly for the "thrills" and were missing/ignoring/not caring about the overall point.

And what does being an American have to do with my statement? Just curious. You clearly have some deep political issues.

Just having fun mostly.

But, People that tell other people they didn't like a movie because they watched it for the wrong reasons do come off as pretentious asses

The movie was marketed as a horror film. All the hype and hubbub about it when it was at theaters was all focused on the suspense and horror.

There was never any mention of it being a delightful tale of a family's struggles while trying to survive monsters.
Mozart Paintings
AG
Good lord time to unfollow this thread
Sex Panther
AG
91 is doing a pretty effective job as marketing himself as a ******bag
**** THE RANGERS

**** GARCIA

ALTUVE IS GOD
91_Aggie
AG
You people take your entertainment opinions very seriously
Geriatric Punk
AG
Sex Panther said:

91 is doing a pretty effective job as marketing himself as a ******bag
I laughed.
Life's an endless party, not a pushcart.
Geriatric Punk
AG
Great concept and execution. It requires some suspension of disbelief to enjoy, but it is a great movie to watch when the kids are napping.
Life's an endless party, not a pushcart.
Phat32
AG
The movie was fantastic. This thread is garbage.
mhayden
I think a few posters do have a point with how the studios continually try and market things as horror simply to get butts in seats, but then on the flip-side will say "well it's not truly a horror movie it's more ______".

A Quiet Place was a solid movie, but it's Thriller/Sci-Fi, not Horror.
TCTTS
AG
Can you explain how it was marketed as "horror," though? Both trailers seem to market the exact movie we got.
mhayden
TCTTS said:

Can you explain how it was marketed as "horror," though? Both trailers seem to market the exact movie we got.

Posted above:

from the Front page of the official "A Quiet Place" website, i.e. the movie makers marketing page:

"The Scariest and Most Innovative Movie of the Year"

TCTTS
AG
And?

"Scary" doesn't have to = "horror." Thrillers can be "scary." Dramas can be "scary."
mhayden
And don't get me wrong I thought it was a solid film, but seems like everything these days coming down the pipe is "game-changing!" and "innovative!" and "truly terrifying".
mhayden
TCTTS said:

And?

"Scary" doesn't have to = "horror." Thrillers can be "scary." Dramas can be "scary."

Yes, I'm sure the movie marketers chose "Scariest Movie of the Year" because they weren't trying to draw in the horror crowd.
Flashdiaz
AG
free_mhayden said:

And don't get me wrong I thought it was a solid film, but seems like everything these days coming down the pipe is "game-changing!" and "innovative!" and "truly terrifying".
it's called marketing. Do you similarly get upset when you click a 'you won't believe what this girl did' only to find out that yeah, you can believe it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.