Fyre Fest debacle

111,552 Views | 586 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by West Point Aggie
k20dub
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Diggity
AG
which goes back to my question from a few pages back....why tell the ****ing story!!!
HoustonAg2106
AG
Diggity said:

which goes back to my question from a few pages back....why tell the ****ing story!!!
I'm sure he regrets saying it, he was probably just trying to paint of picture of how crazy things got.
Diggity
AG
Of course he does...but they knew it was going to be a Netflix doc. What was he thinking?
Cee gee
Post removed:
by user
Jim01
AG
Also shocking is that that guy is maybe the most logical person in the crew. I thought his cruise ship idea was actually kind of genius.

Him: Why build an entire infrastructure on an island that can't even fit lodging for everyone? Rent a portable infrastructure. A cruise ship. Bathrooms, beds, water, dining, laundry. Everything. Dock it off shore and ferry people to the island.

Everyone in charge: Gay! And you're fired.

Jim01
AG
The BJ story was wild but one thing stuck out at me. He says he prepped and used mouth wash BEFORE heading to customs. I'm no expert but wouldn't the mouth wash be better AFTER???
Bunk Moreland
Best not to spend too much time thinking about what goes on in a dude's brain before he is considering blowing another dude so water can be allowed on an island.
dave94
AG
I thought the cruise idea was the pilot guy who learned to fly on a simulator.
s13fenton
Different guys, but yes Andy King was probably the most reasonable and realistic one on the crew. He was the one that told the second in command that he couldn't have suchi on the menu for the catering,
SidetrackAg
AG
TresPuertas said:

easttexasaggie04 said:

Does the whole "Influencer" tag line annoy anybody else like it does me?

Everything about it annoys me. Even more annoying are people I know with 60 Instagram followers who try desperately to be influencers. It's payhetic

What the hell is an "influencer"?
redline248
AG
A puppet master that posts a photo with some product that causes all the little socialite puppets to run out and buy.

For example, Evian gets a dude to admit in a documentary that he was willing to blow another dude for their water, and so now all the gay community runs out and buys Evian to have as a pick up line.
Liquid Wrench
Diggity said:

Of course he does...but they knew it was going to be a Netflix doc. What was he thinking?
He's a gay New York "event promoter," do you really think he didn't know what he was doing by telling a salacious story on camera to get some attention?
trueaggie2782
AG
Social Media Influencer said:

Diggity said:

He's a gay New York "event promoter," do you really think he didn't know what he was doing by telling a salacious story on camera to get some attention?

And now he's getting his own show. I wonder how he was able to pull that...ooooohhhhhhh!
Sex Panther
AG
trueaggie2782 said:

Social Media Influencer said:

Diggity said:

And now he's getting his own show. I wonder how he was able to pull that...ooooohhhhhhh!

Is it going to be like Bar Rescue? Where he comes in to a struggling event and helps them pull it off?

Client - "Everything is falling apart... what do we do?"

Andy - "You know exactly what you have to do"
FincAg
AG
This is a slow 2 hour train wreck.
Liquid Wrench
It's 2 hours of CYA, carefully making sure you know who to blame. No reason to get mad at the cool marketing guys who just try to help people when they're not busy teaching yoga and living their best lives now!
TXAGGIES
Fyre Fraud on Hulu places a little more blame on F Jerry.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
I'm pretty sure the Netflix one was produced by F Jerry.
Counterpoint
AG
Champ Bailey said:

It's true!
Jim01
AG
Overall I liked the Hulu one better. Gave a bit more of a attendee perspective. Also the NetFlix score was just an overwhelming Social Network/NIN rip off. Very tired.
FincAg
AG
Counterpoint said:

Champ Bailey said:

It's true!

Yep, pretty interesting. The **** is the f word.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-features/vic-berger-opinion-cancel-****-jerry-media-789699/amp/

https://www.thedailybeast.com/netflixs-fyre-inside-the-millennial-scam-of-the-decade
double aught
AG
The arrogance/cockiness/hubris required to name your company F*** Jerry is substantial.
Diggity
AG
you just don't get it man. You call it arrogant...millennial's call it irreverent.

this isn't your fathers viral marketing/yoga instructing firm.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
double aught said:

The arrogance/cockiness/hubris required to name your company F*** Jerry is substantial.

Wait till you see their business model. It's just to blatantly steal material and memes posted by actual comedians, and then posting it on their site without giving them any credit.

I didn't realize that they were involved with the festival until the documentary, but I can't think of a more perfect company to market it.
israeliag
AG
FincAg said:

Yep, pretty interesting. The **** is the f word.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-features/vic-berger-opinion-cancel-****-jerry-media-789699/amp/

Thanks for linking. Good article
West Point Aggie
AG
Jim01 said:

Overall I liked the Hulu one better. Gave a bit more of a attendee perspective. Also the NetFlix score was just an overwhelming Social Network/NIN rip off. Very tired.

Agreed!
Make Mental Asylums Great Again!
Hey...so.. um
Watched the netflix version and started watching the hulu version. The biggest standout to me is how dumb every millennial seems with regards to social media. I admit that I am a mellennial, but texags is my only social media other than my LinkedIn i never look at and only have in the event i start looking for a different job.

It blows my mind how influenced people are by people who post on instagram. I am an independent thinker and have always rejected the word of "authorities" based soley on them being the "authorities." Also, FOMO is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard of and am ashamed that it is real.

Netflix show was good and hulu is good so far, but this event in general has left me dumbfounded. I had no clue about this other than I think Jake did a story on the 130 news around the time this started to break.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The Lost
Facebook Sucks said:

Watched the netflix version and started watching the hulu version. The biggest standout to me is how dumb every millennial seems with regards to social media. I admit that I am a mellennial, but texags is my only social media other than my LinkedIn i never look at and only have in the event i start looking for a different job.

It blows my mind how influenced people are by people who post on instagram. I am an independent thinker and have always rejected the word of "authorities" based soley on them being the "authorities." Also, FOMO is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard of and am ashamed that it is real.

Netflix show was good and hulu is good so far, but this event in general has left me dumbfounded. I had no clue about this other than I think Jake did a story on the 130 news around the time this started to break.
You also have to remember the target audience wasn't the average millennial, it was well off kids in NYC (which he had already scammed with his cc). It is a totally different class of person. It's the perfect group to scam considering most of them have been coddled their whole life and aren't really worried about rent/saving up a down payment/etc and believe everyone is good in the world. They just want to keep up with the jones'. This was just random fun side cash. I personally know 0 people who have a lawyer on speed dial ready to sue someone like the kid in the netflix doc. (maybe a divorce lawyer or dui guy though).

You could go to coachella, or any other music festival that has real acts for cheaper than this experience. There is a whole sector of humans with too much money who just want a cool insta pic. It really was the perfect target audience, they just couldn't pull it off.

edit: also user name definitely checks out.
Redstone
AG
Does anyone in the SMI industry have any insight on how the films have impacted their work?
Tobias Funke
AG
The Lost said:

Facebook Sucks said:

You also have to remember the target audience wasn't the average millennial, it was well off kids in NYC (which he had already scammed with his cc). It is a totally different class of person. It's the perfect group to scam considering most of them have been coddled their whole life and aren't really worried about rent/saving up a down payment/etc and believe everyone is good in the world. They just want to keep up with the jones'. This was just random fun side cash. I personally know 0 people who have a lawyer on speed dial ready to sue someone like the kid in the netflix doc. (maybe a divorce lawyer or dui guy though).

You could go to coachella, or any other music festival that has real acts for cheaper than this experience. There is a whole sector of humans with too much money who just want a cool insta pic. It really was the perfect target audience, they just couldn't pull it off.

edit: also user name definitely checks out.

I had no idea what Fyre Fest was until about 10 minutes before I started this thread. But amazingly, I have since found out that two people I know had tickets to the festival (amazing because they are both from Cincinnati, and amazing because I can't believe they admitted it publicly).

One is a gay friend of mine who would LOVE to be considered an influencer, but in reality he's kind of a moron. The other is a super hot, young female bartender.

Pretty much target audience on both sides.
Post removed:
by user
Bunk Moreland
yeah...let's see this bartender and how 'hot' she really is

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.