*** TRUE DETECTIVE (SEASON 3) ***

126,384 Views | 791 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by mhayden
rambo_99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Wait what?! It was very clear in the last car ride scene when he grabbed his daughters hand he had a white hand.

Also at the end Roland is introduced and shakes everyone's hand but purples' daughter. Was it his daughter he lost the entire time. That's why his son got upset when he brought her up. He says at the end "did I lose you"

Was the white hand in the car scene at the end a Hoyt?
rambo_99
Also the thing between their marriage wasn't the case but instead the death of their daughter?

That white hand, no acknowledgment of the daughter to Roland at the end. When playing with grandkids at the end they never acknowledge the daughter. Finally the kids on the bikes as final scene. The easy answer seems too easy here. It means more but I can't piece it together yet.

I feel like purple
rambo_99
Last rambling. Her comment about going full circle for healing - him losing his mind essentially means he'll forget all the pain of his lost daughter and be happy with his grandkids.
astros4545
AG
rambo_99 said:

Wait what?! It was very clear in the last car ride scene when he grabbed his daughters hand he had a white hand.

Also at the end Roland is introduced and shakes everyone's hand but purples' daughter. Was it his daughter he lost the entire time. That's why his son got upset when he brought her up. He says at the end "did I lose you"

Was the white hand in the car scene at the end a Hoyt?

Thought I saw a white hand too
Just took it as weird lighting

I don't think there is anything off with the relationship of the daughter except she doesn't like to visit home
unmade bed
I think if they were gonna do a twist like that (Becca being dead) they would have made it more obvious. Also, what about the scene dropping her off at college? I agree that scene with him riding home with Becca was strange. When he asked her if he lost her, she said no then just said "i haven't..." and "I can't....."

Hard to say what she was going to say, but im assuming she just has a hard time seeing her dad losing his mind so she just stays away.
rambo_99
Watch again. I watched 3x. It's a white hand
AgShaun00
AG
If she was dead who was driving the car?

Also I was hoping they were going to tie it to season one but that was a nice curveball to throw in there.
gonemaroon
AG
I was under the impression she was meaning that she couldn't see her dad losing his mind. It's very hard for a child to watch their parent vanish. Not sure if that is what it meant though
BallerStaf2003
AG
Wheatables02 said:

He was upset about losing his partner. It was the only person in his life at the time that he loved. He was likely done with that girl and he found the love of a dog soon after the fight. The future would show us his only loves were his dogs until Hays reappeared and they resumed working on the case.

"What about us?" he asked when Hays was quitting.

What was the purpose of Tom Purcell being gay then? And why he took it so hard when Roland accused him?

On Reddit they thought Roland was gay and he was mourning the loss of Tom and resigning himself to a life alone.

I'm not sure either way.
BallerStaf2003
AG
BallerStaf2003
AG
Perhaps we are going down the rabbit hole with Wayne's daughter and himmimagining her. Here's an Instagram post where the director explains what happened to Wayne's wife. Clearly Becca is still alive based on his response.

He also discusses how Amelia died.

https://ibb.co/vPJcCCN
The D
AG
When he called his son to pick him up, you can see his daughter in the background at the sons house.
Bunk Moreland
Becca was real and alive and that was her in the car imo. There'd be no reason for the white documentary girl to drive Hays home. She would have driven the other car and the son would have been in the car with dad.
aggiebonzo
AG
https://www.reddit.com/r/TrueDetective/comments/auih2j/for_those_wondering_how_amelia_diednic_answered/
BallerStaf2003
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

Becca was real and alive and that was her in the car imo. There'd be no reason for the white documentary girl to drive Hays home. She would have driven the other car and the son would have been in the car with dad.

Also the hand is just lighter skinned, it still could be Becca's.
Bunk Moreland
Weird that they cut those 2 scenes considering they still went 7 or 8 minutes over time...would have been NBD to push it another 4-5 and leave them in.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
rambo_99 said:

Watch again. I watched 3x. It's a white hand
It's not it's just the lighting. You can see Hays shirt and watch too.

This is really an absurd theory. Nic P. has said it was not an unreliable narrator story. The only things that were in Hays mind were obviously shown in an ethereal dreamy state. His memories were real it was just sometimes they had to be triggered.

there isn't some giant hidden trick here - it is what we saw.
BallerStaf2003
AG
On top of your point, if they wanted to imply it was someone else, they wouldn't have shot Wayne's hand on top over Becca's hand. You could barely see her hand.

Something that important would have her hand prominently in the shot.
Robert C. Christian
AG
How difficult must the lawncare of been at that nunnery for them to hand over Julie to their lawn guy?

"We will let her go with you, just please keep the kudzu from taking over the building. "
BallerStaf2003
AG
Lol! Julie had free will. They gave her freedom, and she went off and married her childhood love.
Joseph Parrish
AG
Did I miss them wrap up the story with the cousin? Or are we just assuming Hoyt's people killed him?
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
The D said:

When he called his son to pick him up, you can see his daughter in the background at the sons house.

Not only that the son says "Dad, Becca came in".
Zombie Jon Snow
AG

The reason Roland doesn't shake Becca's hand is he knows her... he greets his buddy of course. And then the son introduces him to his wife the only person there he has not met before. He doesn't shake the sons hand either btw.
Blindside05
AG
Anybody else notice when Roland and purple were discovering the pink room that purple's image in the mirror in the hall was a younger version?
WES2006AG
AG
They did a lot of that throughout the episode. None of it seemed all that necessary.
Blindside05
AG
At the time I thought it meant he already knew about the room but forgot. Now I don't think so and feel like you do
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Blindside05 said:

At the time I thought it meant he already knew about the room but forgot. Now I don't think so and feel like you do

Oh I enjoyed those subtle little things - like the transition from old to young in the car riding sequences. And there were several other times they did the reflection different. They also did that thing where the younger Hays reacts as if he saw something when the older Hays was thinking about that memory (the door moving when reading to the kids, the bar scene last night when he looks over to where older Hays was).

Just selling that time is a flat circle thing.

Zombie Jon Snow
AG

Nic confirms Becca here - she was alive they just did not have much contact after Amelia died. That's easy to understand given Wayne's lack of social graces and communications skills (not to mention dementia).

BenFiasco14
AG
Thought it was a pretty good finale if not a little anticlimactic. I'll be honest, this season was a little difficult to follow sometimes so forgive me if this seems like a question with an obvious answer...

That scene where dad Purcell walks into that "red room" or whatever, and goes "Julie...?" with Harris stalking up behind him, was that him seeing the pink room that the Hoyts were keeping Julie in and then thats when Tom was killed and then his body subsequently planted to make it look like a suicide?
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
WES2006AG
AG
Yea, he saw the mural that Hays and Roland found in 2015 in the "pink room"

You would have thought that when the Hoyt's moved out they would have destroyed that evidence or at least locked the vault to not make it so easy to enter.
gonemaroon
AG
I was figuring that they maybe just passed away with no relatives younger?
Stive
AG
So totally random and it turns out I was wrong, but I thought the big biker that he was picking a fight with was the primary arm wrestling nemesis from Over the Top back in the '80s. Other than the biker being skinnier, I thought they looked just alike. I was trying to do the math in my head to see if it was even possible when I finally looked it up on IMDB.

The Over the Top guy died in 2003
Max Power
AG
Not the best finale, but not the worst either. I would say I'm about 70% satisfied with the ending after the journey the first 7 episodes the show took us on. I was thinking the reporter was holding something back, but what I thought it would have been was that Julie was dead. I actually think I would have liked it better had it been presented that way, but Hays and West took one more ride together and figured it out.

It might not have tied everything together in a nice bow, but I still enjoyed this season immensely. My favorite was Ali and Dorf, they were so good together. This isn't up to the level season 1 was, but nothing ever will be for me. This definitely helps to wipe away the bad memories of season 2.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
gonemaroon said:

I was figuring that they maybe just passed away with no relatives younger?

Yes.... so Julie escaped on or about 1990 actually. I think she escaped just before her fingerprints were found. And then Tom went on Tv . Explains her confused state when she called in about him not being her dad because she had been drugged for 10 years and fed lies by Isabel (dissociation issues).

Junius said Isabel killed herself shortly after. And then Tom must have visited before it could be changed or whatever so Harris did what he thought he should and killed Tom.

At this point you have to assume big man Hoyt sill knew nothing - but his daughter living down in some basement thing isolated from him and everybody is a little odd. But apparently that's how he handled all this - avoidance, travelling and drinking. And he knew the girl was out and felt it best just to leave it all alone - thus threatening Hays to drop it.

So perhaps with Isabel dead Hoyt just had the place closed up since it was no longer in use. And with Harris getting killed too the only person left that knew anything was Junius. And I think we are led to believe Hoyt died within a few years.

Leaving no heirs it would have just been held in trust by the estate as mentioned. Odd that it sat there that long without being sold off or anything. But I guess that's what happened.

BallerStaf2003
AG
I just posted that like an hour ago.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.