*** TRUE DETECTIVE (SEASON 3) ***

126,431 Views | 791 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by mhayden
Belton Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Roland shot Harris. Maybe wasn't the final "kill shot" but it really doesn't matter, he meant to kill him.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Maybe I just don't think most people realize it was Hays actually.

Still the theory works either way - whether he intended to kill him or not.

Not my theory anyway I was just throwing that out there.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG

Survey on theories... not mine.

Some interesting results you can see after you submit.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScQWflheM0dFfswmbXYNUf9GR3hddH6cZcofAVGvQJsIrEDdw/viewform

Shelton98
AG
Shelton98 said:

Season finale has a iMDB rating of 9.8 (only 55 votes). That's higher than any other episode in any season. So, the odds of it sucking seem to be pretty low.

It's up to a 9.9.... come on 8:00.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Shelton98 said:

Shelton98 said:

Season finale has a iMDB rating of 9.8 (only 55 votes). That's higher than any other episode in any season. So, the odds of it sucking seem to be pretty low.

It's up to a 9.9.... come on 8:00.

Who is reviewing it before it airs?

EDIT - it's pretty meaningless considering anyone can vote - I just gave it a 10 to test it.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
The ratings are hysterical though.

the votes on a scale of 10

1 - 1 vote
6 - 1 vote
9 - 1 vote
10 - 91 votes

the 1 vote is a female over 45...just FYI.
Bunk Moreland
Trying to sneak the ep in between the bigger moments of the Oscars.
ApachePilot
AG
WTF was that
gonemaroon
AG
Looks like we know the entire story
zgood10
AG
Yeah...

I'm glad Hays found Julie though
mazzag
AG
Why would she name her daughter after her mother?
Zombie Jon Snow
AG

Wow.......well that played out pretty straightforward actually.

Very very poignant scene for me - Hays and Julie standing in her front yard - neither one really knowing who they were. Then the payoff I suppose of the dementia with Hays finally solving it and then forgetting all about it.

The story ended up being pretty explainable I suppose. The reveal vis a vis Junius was well done.

With the exception still of how the hell Hoyt had that girl living in his place under his daughters "care" and with Junius and didn't know about it?? that's what he claimed anyway I guess he really could have and knowing it was just an accident and Lucy agreeing to the payoff made it ok to him. But damn still to let Tom Purcell suffer like that and his daughter then killed herself over the girl escaping. Hmmmm..... that part bugs me.

The Mike Ardoin stuff was great - don't know how many of you read that Vanity Fair article I posted but that was basically what it was about. They noticed the name Ardoin on the side of the lawn care guys truck at the shelter and noticed the girl looking out at him several times when talking to Amelia.

All in all a great season I think - it wasn't so much about the crime in the end - it was about the detectives Hays in particular and what it all did to him, how it shaped his life.

Zombie Jon Snow
AG
mazzag said:

Why would she name her daughter after her mother?

I'm thinking she doesn't know that's her mothers name - perhaps it was at the suggestion of Mike. They alluded to the fact that Mike recognized her, but I'm not sure she recognized him. And he probabaly told the nuns about her to keep her hidden and the ruse of her dying to further protect her.

Bunk Moreland
Liked it
RABAg04
AG
"Head Shi**ing Birds"
mazzag
AG
I suppose but I assumed he filled in the gaps for her once she trusted him. And together they convinced the nuns to protect her. Her mom was the POS that did this to her.
mazzag
AG
And his son kept the address so even though dementia helps his dad, he may look into it for the documentary lady. We'll never know I guess.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
RABAg04 said:

"Head Shi**ing Birds"

or

"thank god it was you that hit me, instead of that wooly mammoth you're ****ing"

lol - that scene was a WTF though.... Roland just wanting to get his ass kicked????

RABAg04
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

RABAg04 said:

"Head Shi**ing Birds"

or

"thank god it was you that hit me, instead of that wooly mammoth you're ****ing"

lol - that scene was a WTF though.... Roland just wanting to get his ass kicked????

He fought pretty well too, for a gimp on one leg
claym711
AG
What a fizzle of a finale after such a fantastic season. Total snoozer.
BallerStaf2003
AG
mazzag said:

And his son kept the address so even though dementia helps his dad, he may look into it for the documentary lady. We'll never know I guess.

Oooh that's a good point. That's what's going to make the story whole. His son believed in him enough to keep it.
BallerStaf2003
AG
Time is a flat circle.

It seemed like Lucy's dad looked a lot like Tom Purcell. Julie looked like her mother. So nuts!
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
More Roland greatness:

"What if someone catches us?"

"We're old and confused."

and

"you cyclops mother****er"
benchmark
AG
I thought it was great. Nice twist at the end!
Shelton98
AG
"If you don't want to live with it.... ****ing don't!"

Roland West's chain smoking voice was one of my favorite things about this season.
oragator
The beauty of the ending, beyond the fact that he solved it but she got to live free. But are we 100 percent sure it's her?

Loved the full circle to the kids on the bikes, and then him just disappearing in the jungle to end it.
BallerStaf2003
AG
Yeah it's definitely her.

And like a previous poster said, his son will connect the dots with the woman from the documentary.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Oh my other favorite Roland line.....saw it coming a mile away, in fact I said it right before he did, but it was perfect..... Ridin in the car with Hays talking about the Hoyt place and that it is vacant now and he wants to go check it out.

Hays says "Well I guess you're lead detective now, Lieutenant"

<pause and a glance at Hays>

Roland "You're goddam right I am"

BallerStaf2003
AG
So why did Roland pick that huge fight and cry to the point where a dog comforts him afterwards? Is it because he was upset about Tom's death?
proc
AG
The show cut short on me. After Greenland, and the family reunion, he was with Amelia in the bar in 90, what happened there?
Bunk Moreland
proc said:

The show cut short on me. After Greenland, and the family reunion, he was with Amelia in the bar in 90, what happened there?

He told her he wanted to marry her and they walked off together. Then it cut to a brief scene of him in the jungles of Vietnam disappearing into the lush green wild
Complete Idiot
It was a final scene left open to interpretation. He was a hard to find man, Amelia did her best.
Wheatables02
AG
He was upset about losing his partner. It was the only person in his life at the time that he loved. He was likely done with that girl and he found the love of a dog soon after the fight. The future would show us his only loves were his dogs until Hays reappeared and they resumed working on the case.

"What about us?" he asked when Hays was quitting.
Objective Aggie
AG
I know what Stephen Dorff's next role should be:

Southlake
Loved the show. Couple items:

Surprised that little Lucy did not recognize Hays after she literally ran into him recently at the church.

Hays knocked Amelia's book off the table and it just happened to fall open to the page where Amelia wrote about Mike's love for Julie. Hays closes the book and then has a vision of Amelia explaining the rest of the story which was his demented mind figuring the rest of the sequence. Interesting.

And:

What the hell happened to Amelia???

Be a lot cooler if we knew, man...

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.