*** TRUE DETECTIVE (SEASON 3) ***

126,395 Views | 791 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by mhayden
MSFC Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So in the diner scene, the cousin (Dan) has an oh sh*t moment when a guy walks through the door. I paused it make out who it was, but couldn't tell. Probably nothing, but was interesting.
TCTTS
AG
Boo Weekley said:

TCTTS said:

Aggie12B said:

duck79 said:

In 1980 wasn't the glass eye in his left eye? If that was the same guy it was the right eye in 90
The one-eyed black man at Amelia's book signing is a different one-eyed black man than the one from 1980.
Of course TexAgs can't tell them apart.
Oh I get it...bc Texags (aside from you and a couple others) is racist right???? LOL! No one in Cali would make such a dumb/ignorant mistake!

I definitely thought the guy in this ep was a different actor but was wondering if they were trying to portray him as the original one eyed black dude who had just changed a lot over the years like some people do. But yeah, they don't look much alike, aside from similar skin tone and having one eye and being country AF.

This forum has been peppered with light, inadvertent racism as long as I've been posting and you're blind if you can't see that. It's also been joked about for as long as I can remember, and I was simply playing into that. Then, while getting your panties in a bunch, you managed to highlight yet another TexAgs staple: assuming that because someone mocks one thing they must be on the complete opposite side. In this case, thinking no one in "Cali" would make such a dumb/ignorant mistake. Of course there are racist in "Cali." Of course certain liberals have their own brand of racism, and I wasn't at all suggesting otherwise. Because, again, it was nothing more than a JOKE.
Boo Weekley
TCTTS said:

Boo Weekley said:

TCTTS said:

Aggie12B said:

duck79 said:

In 1980 wasn't the glass eye in his left eye? If that was the same guy it was the right eye in 90
The one-eyed black man at Amelia's book signing is a different one-eyed black man than the one from 1980.
Oh I get it...bc Texags (aside from you and a couple others) is racist right???? LOL! No one in Cali would make such a dumb/ignorant mistake!

I definitely thought the guy in this ep was a different actor but was wondering if they were trying to portray him as the original one eyed black dude who had just changed a lot over the years like some people do. But yeah, they don't look much alike, aside from similar skin tone and having one eye and being country AF.

This forum has been peppered with light, inadvertent racism as long as I've been posting and you're blind if you can't see that. It's also been joked about for as long as I can remember, and I was simply playing into that. Then, while getting your panties in a bunch, you managed to highlight yet another TexAgs staple: assuming that because someone mocks one thing they must be on the complete opposite side. In this case, thinking no one in "Cali" would make such a dumb/ignorant mistake. Of course there are racist in "Cali." Of course certain liberals have their own brand of racism, and I wasn't at all suggesting otherwise. Because, again, it was nothing more than a JOKE.
lol, ok

By definition, I am not even sure racism can be "inadvertent", but carry on. In Hollywood...most are going to naturally have an insanely broad definition of "racism".
RC_57
AG
MSFC Aggie said:

So in the diner scene, the cousin (Dan) has an oh sh*t moment when a guy walks through the door. I paused it make out who it was, but couldn't tell. Probably nothing, but was interesting.
I caught that too, but chalked it up to paranoia on his point
Bunk Moreland
Agree. I think the point is that he's on edge.
emtes
AG
Did I mishear or is Hayes Jr splitting the sheets with the tv show lady?
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, they were definitely hooking up. I love that Hayes Sr. already knew.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
RC_57 said:

MSFC Aggie said:

Or he has a lot of enemies and debts - he is a drug user - might have been unrelated but someone he did not want to talk to.

Boo Weekley
RC_57 said:

MSFC Aggie said:

I thought it possibly could have been some Hoyt guy or something but it kind of looked like an ordinary dude right? I think I need to re-watch last night's episode this wk.

I thought the actor who played Dan knocked it out of the park as a sketchy paranoid tweaker. Also...Scoot McNairy is killing it on this show imo.

The acting is great overall imo, but McNairy and Dorff are starting to steal the show imo. I guess I knew Ali would do well, but these guys are really surprising me with their acting chops. Hope to see them in more stuff in the future.
duck79
AG
TCTTS said:

Boo Weekley said:

TCTTS said:

Aggie12B said:

duck79 said:

I posted the original comment and didn't even think about the racial undertones until I read your reply which I thought was pretty funny because yes that that reads badly. Yes the actors didn't look the same but I was thrown off because they made specific mention of a guy with a glass eye and I thought it was random to have another guy with a "foggy" glass eye at a book reading 10 years later. Sorry for getting the board started on a non important tangent.
PooDoo
AG
TCTTS said:

I also love it when certain posters are CONVINCED they're right, and argue 'til they're blue in the face (whoever that was saying there's no way the kids could pass notes through the "peephole"), and sure enough, that's exactly what they were doing.

I was CONVINCED by the fact that it would be next to impossible for the kids to be passing notes. It would be possible if that was an unfinished closet but Will's closet was painted with base molding and two rows of 1x4's to support a closet rod.
You don't see that without studs. A stamp sized note isn't going to make it through a finished wall with studs.

Maybe if there was a wire hangar or dowel rod they would use to fish the note through the hole... but then why would a couple of latch key kids need to be passing notes? Think the mom was home enough to keep them locked in their rooms? Sure didn't sound like it.

bobinator
AG
Maybe the kid wrapped the notes around a pencil and pushed them through? This is my favorite rabbit hole though.

"I've analyzed the blue prints for this house, and no way..."
Nagler
AG
I've seen some goofy **** argued about on this board but the notes passing issue takes the cake.

The kids are passing notes, yes most walls it would fall in between, just assume this is a ****ty house in Arkansas and it has thin walls or the closet was added later and was done half-assed or whatever but Lord, lets move on to the serious question, What is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?
Boo Weekley
PooDoo said:

TCTTS said:

I also love it when certain posters are CONVINCED they're right, and argue 'til they're blue in the face (whoever that was saying there's no way the kids could pass notes through the "peephole"), and sure enough, that's exactly what they were doing.

I was CONVINCED by the fact that it would be next to impossible for the kids to be passing notes. It would be possible if that was an unfinished closet but Will's closet was painted with base molding and two rows of 1x4's to support a closet rod.
You don't see that without studs. A stamp sized note isn't going to make it through a finished wall with studs.

Maybe if there was a wire hangar or dowel rod they would use to fish the note through the hole... but then why would a couple of latch key kids need to be passing notes? Think the mom was home enough to keep them locked in their rooms? Sure didn't sound like it.

I'd bet < 3% of Hollywood could even begin to change a tire, so I'll cut em some slack on not knowing what basic wall construction entails.
Max Power
AG
So another fun episode, big things are happening, but I have so many questions for the next 2 episodes.

Several things I'm wondering:
-What names did Hays give his son to look up? Who other than the usual suspects would he ask his kid about trying to locate?
-What did Hays and West do that they haven't talked about yet? My gut is they killed Harris and disposed of the body. Perhaps they make another trip to the barn.
-I don't remember what happened to Tom after 1990 ever being discussed, was it? The last scene is pretty damning that he gets killed, but I'm just blanking right now as to whether they specifically have said anything about him post-1990.
-The one-eyed black man seemed to make a whole lot of noise, would that make much sense if he was working for Hoyt? If there's a massive cover up by the elites in this area he doesn't seem very discreet to be on the payroll.
-What is the interviewer holding back? This is bugging me like crazy, she's withholding something. What good is she doing with this interview of a man battling Alzheimer's?
-Did Amelia figure something out and get killed before doing the second book? We know she's dead, we don't know why, and she only had the one book out if I remember. What if the secret isn't in the first book, but in her research for the second?
-How did Julie escape, who helped her? That is a bank vault of a door that kept her locked up, there is no escape from that by a kid.

I think Harris walked up on Tom with a stun gun. In the music during the credits it sounds like there was electricity, I don't think that's coincidental.

But I am really enjoying season 3, they got me hook, line, and sinker.
Malcolm52
AG
Great episode, really getting into the meat of things now.

I hope they address why security/Harris just let Tom break in and wander through the house and waited until he conveniently found they creepy pink dungeon before apprehending him.

Also, if the Hoyt crew just wanted the girl, why kill the boy? and maybe he died accidentally, but why leave the body in open with those dolls?
Zombie Jon Snow
AG

....more questions...

What did Tom see?
A picture maybe that included the Hoyt family and Julie?

So do we assume Julie actually went to the Hoyt house before being abducted and not just meeting in the field???
cuz the pink room seemed well known to her to draw it, or is that based on them telling her she would live in a pick castle?

Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Malcolm52 said:

Great episode, really getting into the meat of things now.

I hope they address why security/Harris just let Tom break in and wander through the house and waited until he conveniently found they creepy pink dungeon before apprehending him.

Also, if the Hoyt crew just wanted the girl, why kill the boy? and maybe he died accidentally, but why leave the body in open with those dolls?

You don't want to chase him down outside - especially if you want to kill him - too much possibility of being seen. If you let him in and track him on the cameras you can surprise him. Which is exactly what Harris did. Contain the scene, erase the tapes, dispose of the body and car, nope never saw him.

Assuming that's the plan. We are assuming here Harris has done a lot of dirty work. He isn't going to panic and just chase him down outside. Let him in where you can control the scene and limit exposure.

All assuming he is going to kill him - there is no way you can't right?

I think the boys body was left specifically for the pacification of Julie - she said something on the phone call about he was just resting there. they convinced the young girl he was still alive. Now why they left him there and did not come back and clean it up - who knows - maybe they did not have the opportunity.

PooDoo
AG
Why would they need to hide Tom's murder? The tapes show him breaking in with a pistol which would be enough to justify self defense.

Hoyt security will probably be arrogant during the investigation and gets disappeared by Purple and Roland.
Bunk Moreland
Yeah I originally predicted hays/Roland did Dan but now thinking they do Harris.
Southlake
When Hays was being interviewed by the girl, it seemed like he might have been playing her a bit because she knows stuff that he wants to learn. He hinted at this during his conversation with his son where Hays also revealed that he knew about the affair his son was having, almost like, "Dad still has a few chops left"

Also, didn't Harris seem a little Gay when he told Hays he had a nice body? Could that be related to the homosexual accusations against Tom at Hoyt before he ultimately got fired? Hmmm...
Max Power
AG
I don't think it's coincidence, I think there's a good chance Tom and Harris have seen each other at the bar.
Belton Ag
AG
PooDoo said:

Why would they need to hide Tom's murder? The tapes show him breaking in with a pistol which would be enough to justify self defense.

Hoyt security will probably be arrogant during the investigation and gets disappeared by Purple and Roland.
Don't want cops snooping around Pedo Manor if you can help it, even if you think you can get away with killing Tom.
bobbranco
AG
TCTTS said:

Aggie12B said:

duck79 said:

Yes you are part of TexAgs.
TCTTS
AG
What if it's TOM who kills Harris? They've been alluding pretty heavily that it was Hayes/West who killed Harris, but what if that's just misdirection? After all, we only saw Harris GRAB Tom before the credits, not kill him, but what if there's a struggle, and Tom ends up killing Harris instead? It's just weird that there's been absolutely no mention of Tom post 1990, and if he died in 1990, surely someone would have brought that up by now?
Bunk Moreland
Was going to say earlier Tom is the latest to not know where he is in 3rd timeline.

The interviewer chick keeps alluding to so many people surrounding the case being dead so I just assume he'll die but I don't mind a Tom kills Harris, gets Roland/hays to help dispose of body prediction.

Would lead credence to old man hays telling Roland that Hoyt showed up and said he knew what they did.
bobbranco
AG
It's Arkansas. Somebody is going to be fed to the hogs.
InternetFan02
AG
One of the creepiest moments of season 1 was the 5 horsemen photo found in the girl's house

I got the same creepy vibes last night with the photo of the 2 ghosts at halloween in the preview for episode 7

LHIOB
AG
Im going to say that Hays daughter dies young. Thats what sends him over the edge. In his flashback she wasnt in the garden with Amelia and their son.

I do love watching shows and saying "damn! TexAgs nailed it again!"
irish pete ag06
AG
Only going to read replies to my post to avoid spoilers. Is this season any good? I thought season 1 was phenomenal. Season 2 was hot meh.

I'm about to finish Narcos, Is this worth watching next?
Aggie12B
AG
irish pete ag06 said:

Only going to read replies to my post to avoid spoilers. Is this season any good? I thought season 1 was phenomenal. Season 2 was hot meh.

I'm about to finish Narcos, Is this worth watching next?
Hell yes it is worth watching.
Belton Ag
AG
TCTTS said:

What if it's TOM who kills Harris? They've been alluding pretty heavily that it was Hayes/West who killed Harris, but what if that's just misdirection? After all, we only saw Harris GRAB Tom before the credits, not kill him, but what if there's a struggle, and Tom ends up killing Harris instead? It's just weird that there's been absolutely no mention of Tom post 1990, and if he died in 1990, surely someone would have brought that up by now?
The filmmaker lady in this last episode mentioned Tom as one of the many people involved in the case who ended up dead.
Btron
AG
Nagler said:

I've seen some goofy **** argued about on this board but the notes passing issue takes the cake.

The kids are passing notes, yes most walls it would fall in between, just assume this is a ****ty house in Arkansas and it has thin walls or the closet was added later and was done half-assed or whatever but Lord, lets move on to the serious question, What is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?

We'll never know. The GC signed a non-compete before constructing the Purcell's house.
Stive
AG
Awesome.
duck79
AG
LHIOB said:

Im going to say that Hays daughter dies young. Thats what sends him over the edge. In his flashback she wasnt in the garden with Amelia and their son.

I do love watching shows and saying "damn! TexAgs nailed it again!"

Sorry if this was stated. Is it possible instead of dying young that she was also taken in 90 due to the fact they Hays was getting close? After she is taken it leads to Amelia hurting herself and Hays losing it. To protect him, the son now just tells Hays she is in LA.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.