*** TRUE DETECTIVE (SEASON 3) ***

126,520 Views | 791 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by mhayden
Max Power
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Season 1 and 2 both have the powerful preying on the weak at the center of it all. I think there's someone at Hoyt Foods that manipulated Lucy into thinking the best thing for her kids was to get them away, that or the priest is at the guy. Could the parishioners be the ones spreading the rumor of a black guy in a nice car?
BowSowy
AG
Was there any significance to the reporter showing the remains of the cousin?
FancyKetchup14
AG
I think mainly just eliminating a potential suspect for the viewers.
PooDoo
AG
Im hoping the one eyed black guy will end up like...
ETXAg05
AG
I think it was said that many of the people in/around the investigation have mysteriously ended up dead. I think that was part of showing the cousin's remains. Lucy is dead, the cousin is dead, etc. Maybe someone is covering their tracks.

Seems like it is pointing to Lucy having a role in things and Hoyt foods being involved as well.
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
Screencap from the preview of the next episode.
Noblemen06
AG
Malcolm52
AG
Could there be some surprise guest appearances?!
TCTTS
AG
If Rust Cohle actually shows up, I will lose my mind.
The Debt
Arkansas isnt far from Louisiana
benchmark
AG
I was trying to identify the white guy ghost in among the Vietnamese. Hays actually touches him and says "sorry". Could he be one of the feds working the case with them? He's wearing a suit and tie...big ears...
Aggie12B
AG
ETXAg05 said:

I think it was said that many of the people in/around the investigation have mysteriously ended up dead. I think that was part of showing the cousin's remains. Lucy is dead, the cousin is dead, etc. Maybe someone is covering their tracks.
This season is set in Arkansas. All these people who have mysteriously ended up dead MUST have had dirt on the clintons
FancyKetchup14
AG
I'm not sure if I'm the only one, but that scene creeped me the hell out.
TCTTS
AG
mhayden
Why would they not be in the same universe?

That's a fun gimmick for fantasy and sci-fi stories crossing-over, but two seasons of a detective show sharing the same reality is pretty standard I would assume.
Belton Ag
AG
I hope season 3 ends with Rust Cohle and Wayne Hayes meeting each other at Comet Ping Pong Pizza. Pizza is a flat circle.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag said:

It's a black guy and white woman, not the other way around.

Yeah but she is such a light complexion of a black lady... from a distance next to a black guy she might look white.

just something i thought of when he said that.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
couple of interesting (maybe) things in that connecting the S1 and S3 dots.....

1. notice the hands on the original vic in S1 Dora Lange

2. In S3 at some point the 2015 reporter Elisa told Hays about how people on the internet have been compiling analogous cases together in a database and that the straw dolls left near Will's body could be a "sign of pedophile groups like the Crooked Spiral."

this is likely all tied much more together with S1 then we thought.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
blazer18 said:

Did Mrs Purcell drop the "children are supposed to laugh" line while talking to the teacher? Pretty sure that was in the note that was sent to the Purcells.

Zombie Jon Snow
AG
blazer18 said:

Did Mrs Purcell drop the "children are supposed to laugh" line while talking to the teacher? Pretty sure that was in the note that was sent to the Purcells.

I also found her use of the word Pickaninny odd - she called the teacher a "Pickaninny *****".

it's a derogatory racial slur for a small black child.

Just really odd to use toward an adult.

PooDoo
AG
Not odd if someone is trying to insult the adult.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
PooDoo said:

Not odd if someone is trying to insult the adult.

I can think of worse ways to insult a black adult though. And more common.
Old Tom Morris
Zombie Jon Snow said:

blazer18 said:

But she'd seen the note before she made that statement. So it could just be the note ****ing with her head and her realizing that, yeah, her kids had a pretty ****ty existence at her house.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
agreed. i was just posting the photo to corroborate that it was in the note.
expresswrittenconsent
Zombie Jon Snow said:

blazer18 said:

I also found her use of the word Pickaninny odd - she called the teacher a "Pickaninny *****".

it's a derogatory racial slur for a small black child.

Just really odd to use toward an adult.

Only if you think this uneducated trailer trash knows what it means and doesnt just know its racially insensitive.

Also, "boy" has been an insult for whites of all ages to call adult black men since at least the Jim crow era. Not quite the same obviously, but a similar vein maybe.
Southlake
When Hayes was hallucinating the VC with the white guy in the suit, I believe the white guy is one of the detectives who pulled up just before the Claymore mine exploded at the end of the last show.

Maybe those were all the guys Hayes thinks he killed?
Zombie Jon Snow
AG

Sorry....I never saw this if it was posted way back in S1.....

equally funny and a little disturbing!! lol.

expresswrittenconsent
Awesome
Bigfootisreal
PooDoo said:

And to make a long post longer... I can't believe how much I'm liking Steven Dorff. I get a real John Travolta from Pulp Fiction vibe when he's in a scene. Like this dude's career is about to get revived.

Dorff is killing it in S3. I think he is out shining Ali by a good bit, and that is saying something.
Old Tom Morris
Bigfootisreal said:

PooDoo said:

And to make a long post longer... I can't believe how much I'm liking Steven Dorff. I get a real John Travolta from Pulp Fiction vibe when he's in a scene. Like this dude's career is about to get revived.

Dorff is killing it in S3. I think he is out shining Ali by a good bit, and that is saying something.
Agree. I think Ali is at times overdoing the quiet mumble-mouth stuff. I get that it's mostly that the character is just naturally quite/awkward/has-a-lot-pent-up, but Dorff just seems more realistic to me.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG

Not sure everyone is aware - and perhaps we need to be extra careful about "Spoilers" the next few days but......

Episode 5 "If you Have Ghosts" is up and available on HBO Go and HBO Now.

*They did this apparently because of going head to head with the Super Bowl Sunday night.

So you can go watch it now using whatever subscription login you have for your provider.

Not sure if we need to treat this as spoiler material until Sunday night?????? Not everyone watches things via streaming even if available.

I have not watched it yet and may not until tonight or tomorrow.
Belton Ag
AG
Since Dish is a huge steaming pile of ****, and HBO is a bunch of chode-licking azzholes, I've had to buy HBO Now . But I'm going to wait to watch this episode and will be avoiding this thread until then.
Southlake
These actors are just outstanding, however Ali is literally playing three roles. Noticed last night how excellent his make up is to show his facial skin at 3 different times.

Even the make-up are outstanding.
OldArmy71
AG
I watched it. Good parts; slow parts. Lots of filler. Very good acting at the end.

When they play the tape of Julie, she seems to be accusing her father. She talks about "seeing him on the television...the man who pretends to be my father." It can't be as obvious as it seems. It has to be some sort of misdirection. Wasn't it suggested that Purcell is not her real father? Maybe someone now with the police or DA (she saw him on TV) has somehow suggested to her that he is her biological father and used that as a way of ingratiating himself with the two kids.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.