*** TRUE DETECTIVE (SEASON 3) ***

126,562 Views | 791 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by mhayden
aggiebonzo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
ConsolTigerAg92 said:

Meat packing company owner is a suspect. Lost his daughter so created the foundation paying for the reward. Maybe he wanted a replacement for his daughter.
Did you happen to see a certain "theory" on Reddit too?
mhayden
If it's like Season 1 we're going to have 10,000 complex theories and it's going to end up being some random dude.
ConsolTigerAg92
AG
Wow! What are the odds two people on the entirety of the internet watched the show and came up with a similar suspect. Unbelievable! Thank you for alerting me to this amazing coincidence. And your emoji... so funny! I bet you are really popular. Everyone loves an *******.
aggiebonzo
AG
Geez guy I was just making joke! You're the one that seems fun at parties!
Old Tom Morris
free_mhayden said:

If it's like Season 1 we're going to have 10,000 complex theories and it's going to end up being some random dude.

I'm getting this vibe. They are being mysterious about who was wrongly convicted, so it's like finding out who that is will be the "reveal" of a familiar character while the real killer will be random and late. Which I'd actually be totally fine with. The show is about the cops/characters involved more than the climax of the solve like other mirder mysteries. which is good with me
mhayden
Old Tom Morris said:

free_mhayden said:

I'm getting this vibe. They are being mysterious about who was wrongly convicted, so it's like finding out who that is will be the "reveal" of a familiar character while the real killer will be random and late. Which I'd actually be totally fine with. The show is about the cops/characters involved more than the climax of the solve like other mirder mysteries. which is good with me

Agreed. I loved Season 1 but very much because of the acting, dialogue and setting. I found the actual story to be rather hollow.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Shelton98 said:

cclearman said:

yeah, there was something ominous about their conversation in 1990 (Ep 3) that made it seem like they knew something / covered something up.

also, the description of a brown car with a black man and white woman....she's pretty light skinned? and she was with a guy in one of the first episodes (outside the town hall meeting). didn't get a look at his car

she was in San Fran in the late 60s / early 70s and got into "some bad stuff".

I was feeling like he ended up covering for her and she's involved...somehow.
I don't think she'd write a book about it if she was involved.

I think she's playing ph because he is the main investigator and she's trying to lead him away from the fact it's her and the white guy in the brown sedan who done it. Ends up marrying him and writing a book about it to cover her tracks.
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
It's a black guy and white woman, not the other way around.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag said:

It's a black guy and white woman, not the other way around.

Maybe the witness is dyslexic?
Nagler
AG
What did his ghost wife say at the end?

Something about being worried they'll find what he left in the woods?
Max Power
AG
This episode did nothing but confuse me.

-There's a farmhouse off the map that the police don't know about? It's not tiny, inconspicuous, it's pretty large, and also has power...in a small community that isn't just an unknown entity.
-The dice appear to be for a game like D&D, if the kids are out playing D&D wouldn't there be books or notebooks to go along with it? Who is the dungeon master for their game? Where are the notebooks?
-West has remained close with Tom, seemingly the one who got him into AA. The story focuses on Hays, but I definitely feel this case is just as big a deal to West, even though he's not the focal point. But given where each of them is in 1990 there is going to be a point of divergence between them, West on an upward trajectory, and Hays on a downward one...why?
-Woodard's bag, I'm guessing it's weaponry to go after the guys that beat him up. He's never let go of Vietnam or the loss of his family, time of revenge.
I think Lucy is an enigma here and is perhaps involved. She and Tom are obviously very unhappy. She ends up dying Vegas before 1990. What if she has plans to run away with the kids and an unknown man? Maybe the son dies after a struggle and falls/hits his head and dies. Mother places him in the cave in the pose, they kidnap the daughter. Perhaps she is the white woman in the sedan. I don't recall them completely investigating her alibi during this ordeal. She hasn't done much of anything but place blame on Tom during this whole thing and be standoffish, Tom seems happy to assist and provide information, even as he's under duress.
AirplaneAg09
AG
After the first three episodes I'm still not sure how much we're supposed to trust when it's being told from Hays' perspective. Waiting for some for Roland's memories to contradict Hays' at some point even if he's telling the IA guys something different.
Blindside05
AG
free_mhayden said:

Old Tom Morris said:

free_mhayden said:

Agreed. I loved Season 1 but very much because of the acting, dialogue and setting. I found the actual story to be rather hollow.

I didn't think season 1 was all that hollow. Unless I'm misremembering, wasn't the killer a Tuttle? It was discovered he was a nephew or something of the governor and also related to the head of that church organization which linked back to the very beginning with the task force that showed up
Sazerac
AG
They made it seem like Woodards bag may have held a small body...
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
cclearman said:

Yea I agree that's what they were trying to make it seem but I think most people saw through that.
Shelton98
AG
cclearman said:

I'm thinking there's an automatic rifle in that bag.
Old Tom Morris
Yeah, I was thinking small arsenal. seemed to have structure like weapons would. Next step in the town tearing apart. First it was the publication of the dolls being given on Halloween, which scared the hell out of everyone (empty streets). Now they are violently turning on each other
PooDoo
AG
Yeah, I think we're about to see where all the bodies the reporter mentioned came from.
Squirrel Master
AG
We watched the first 3 yesterday an definitely enjoying it. I'm on board with the theories about the wife and/or her ex/sidepiece/baby daddy being involved.
mhayden
Blindside05 said:

free_mhayden said:

Old Tom Morris said:

free_mhayden said:

I didn't think season 1 was all that hollow. Unless I'm misremembering, wasn't the killer a Tuttle? It was discovered he was a nephew or something of the governor and also related to the head of that church organization which linked back to the very beginning with the task force that showed up

Something along those lines - and maybe it was my own fault but I felt like it built up this whole Carcosa/YellowKing type thing that never really had much of a payoff at all.

Again, not to say I thought it was bad - I thought it was excellent -- just for different reasons.
Shelton98
AG
Old Tom Morris said:

Yeah, I was thinking small arsenal. seemed to have structure like weapons would. Next step in the town tearing apart. First it was the publication of the dolls being given on Halloween, which scared the hell out of everyone (empty streets). Now they are violently turning on each other
Yep. And if they are trying to emulate season 1, then they're going to have some kind of action packed filming sequence similar to Rust's undercover fiasco in the projects. This would be the perfect place to do it.... Big Chief the Ex-Military Scrap Man sets up in an elevated, defensible position in town and starts picking off the rednecks who wronged him. Purple Hays and his partner figure out a way to sneak up on him.... PH tries to talk him down... unsuccessfully.... partner drops Big Chief... partner becomes hero and moves up in ranks with State Police.
Stive
AG
How many episodes does this season have?
Shelton98
AG
Stive said:

How many episodes does this season have?
Belton Ag
AG
Quote:

-The dice appear to be for a game like D&D, if the kids are out playing D&D wouldn't there be books or notebooks to go along with it? Who is the dungeon master for their game? Where are the notebooks?
Hayes specifically says to West "I have everything from this game except for his dice." 1980 Hayes has the notebooks, etc. so it was probably in the house.
Southlake
Main takeaway was the boy was found with his hands together in prayer exactly like his First Communion picture.
BowSowy
AG
cclearman said:

yeah, there was something ominous about their conversation in 1990 (Ep 3) that made it seem like they knew something / covered something up.

also, the description of a brown car with a black man and white woman....she's pretty light skinned? and she was with a guy in one of the first episodes (outside the town hall meeting). didn't get a look at his car

she was in San Fran in the late 60s / early 70s and got into "some bad stuff".

I was feeling like he ended up covering for her and she's involved...somehow.
That guy she was with was white
gomerschlep
AG
Man, I really liked the first two episodes, but Ep3 didn't do much for me. I kinda feel like nothing really happened except the Indian guy got beat up...
PooDoo
AG
That communion picture was supposed to be the big reveal but they used that photo in the trailers so I was expecting it.
PooDoo
AG
I was thinking about the person currently in jail.... they say his kids are trying to get him released.

That's got to be the trash guy, right?
mazzag
AG
I thought they just said his family? So maybe parents of one of the teen boys?
Old Tom Morris
PooDoo said:

I was thinking about the person currently in jail.... they say his kids are trying to get him released.

Yeah, they said kids in the last episode, which does indicate trash guy is a pretty strong possibility. I'm guessing whatever altercation is about to happen between trash guy and the rednecks may result in them making him the primary suspect in the kids going missing -> you've got this oddball trash guy that everyone is already suspicious of anyway and then he goes and attacks the locals. So it ends up pretty convenient for the politicians/prosecutors to sell him as the killer to the town/jury even if there isn't really any evidence other than he saw the kids that night.

But they continue to be mysterious enough about it that maybe it's more of a surprise.
Stive
AG
I think that's a solid play out of the possibilities.

There's also something that looks like a landmine that goes off in the previews and a shot towards Hays, his partner, and some other officers. I think that's going to be the trash-guy twisting off.

Max Power
AG
Old Tom Morris said:

PooDoo said:

Yeah, they said kids in the last episode, which does indicate trash guy is a pretty strong possibility. I'm guessing whatever altercation is about to happen between trash guy and the rednecks may result in them making him the primary suspect in the kids going missing -> you've got this oddball trash guy that everyone is already suspicious of anyway and then he goes and attacks the locals. So it ends up pretty convenient for the politicians/prosecutors to sell him as the killer to the town/jury even if there isn't really any evidence other than he saw the kids that night.

But they continue to be mysterious enough about it that maybe it's more of a surprise.
The longer I let it digest the more I think court of public opinion is going to convict Woodard, and then it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. Perhaps either Hays or West plants evidence at the urging of the powers that be in order to get this case closed quickly. It would also explain the divergence of their characters at some point after 1980 and before 1990, one willing to tow the line, the other isn't.
PooDoo
AG
https://instagr.am/p/BtEPSP8Aixz
expresswrittenconsent
Anyone recommend a good TD s3 podcast? Looking for something that dives deeper than the ringer podcast mentioned a few pages back.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.