*** TRUE DETECTIVE (SEASON 3) ***

126,345 Views | 791 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by mhayden
Al Bula
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Really pleased with the first two episodes. While season 2 was decent, this blows it out of the water.
bam02
AG
Ali is awesome. Knew he would be. The make-up and acting of the 75 year old Ali is incredible.
Silvertaps
AG
GREAT 2 episodes. This will be a fun few months!
FancyKetchup14
AG
Good first episode. Great pacing and good ending. I'm sold. Feels a lot like season 1. The paper dolls reminded me of the bird cage latticeworks in S1. Curious where this goes.
Stive
AG
Loved it!

Had a similar feel to season one but enough difference that it didn't seem like a copycat.

Btron
AG
Stive said:

Loved it!

Had a similar feel to season one but enough difference that it didn't seem like a copycat.

I'm in and the first two were great. But this is a straight up copy cat. Im ok with that, because S1 was a great ride. But this has A New Hope being season 1 and The Force Awakens as season 3 feel to me. I do like the three timelines, knowing truths of the future but need to see how they play out n the past.
Teddy Perkins
AG
Solid opening to the new season. Based on the street signs at the end of episode 2, that was the Purcell's house that was burnt down, right?
Silvertaps
AG
Teddy Perkins said:

Solid opening to the new season. Based on the street signs at the end of episode 2, that was the Purcell's house that was burnt down, right?
That's how I understood it as well.
Al Bula
AG
Once I realized the show takes place in NWA, I was playing "Spot the Arkie" reference. It happened in episode 2.
AirplaneAg09
AG
Really enjoyed the first two episodes last night. Random thoughts I had:

-Were the teenagers playing with Will or Julie's bike that night while getting drunk at the Ranger tower? Is that where Ali found it after that kid threw it down?

-When the film crew mentioned the wife's book to Ali the first time I got the impression that the book didn't paint him in a good light for some reason. Ali made some comment about how good of a job she did that stuck out to me.

-I'm not sure if Ali's daughter in LA is dead or what, but think Ali maybe did something on the first or second time through the case that split them apart. Maybe something to do with the wife's book.

-I thought they handled the underlying race stuff pretty well. The first couple of mentions had me wondering if that was going to become some huge theme throughout the show but I thought the scene between Ali and Dorff blatantly addressing it was telling. I'm sure it will be a reoccuring theme but I think the war veteran stuff is gonna be more impactful on the characters.

-Love that they got back to the gritty setting, music, cinematography, etc.
Stive
AG
AirplaneAg09 said:

Really enjoyed the first two episodes last night. Random thoughts I had:

-Were the teenagers playing with Will or Julie's bike that night while getting drunk at the Ranger tower? Is that where Ali found it after that kid threw it down?

-When the film crew mentioned the wife's book to Ali the first time I got the impression that the book didn't paint him in a good light for some reason. Ali made some comment about how good of a job she did that stuck out to me.

-I'm not sure if Ali's daughter in LA is dead or what, but think Ali maybe did something on the first or second time through the case that split them apart. Maybe something to do with the wife's book.

-I thought they handled the underlying race stuff pretty well. The first couple of mentions had me wondering if that was going to become some huge theme throughout the show but I thought the scene between Ali and Dorff blatantly addressing it was telling. I'm sure it will be a reoccuring theme but I think the war veteran stuff is gonna be more impactful on the characters.

-Love that they got back to the gritty setting, music, cinematography, etc.
I got the impression that it was definitely the kid's bikes (at least one of them) but later on when the bike he finds is extremely far away from that tower and on the same path that led to the bodies I got confused.

I think his daughter is dead or excommunicated over something. The son and DIL seem to be covering up something about her (unless they're just really tired of dad asking about her).

The Debt
Stive said:

Loved it!

One is a murder investigation this one is more of a missing child (yes I realize the brother is dead, but theres the suspense of saving the missing child that S1 didnt have).
PooDoo
AG
Silvertaps said:

Teddy Perkins said:

That's how I understood it as well.

It looked like most of the town is boarded up and abandoned.
PooDoo
AG
bam02 said:

Ali is awesome. Knew he would be. The make-up and acting of the 75 year old Ali is incredible.

Who is this Ali? His name is Purple Hayes!
FancyKetchup14
AG
I really need a gif of Ali 'pouring one out' for McQueen.
WES2006AG
AG
Are we not getting a new episode this coming Sunday because we got 2 yesterday?
ApachePilot
AG
Loved the start of season 3. Season 1 was so damn good I was afraid they would never get close again to that magic. This feels like a season 1 start.
Shelton98
AG
WES2006AG said:

Are we not getting a new episode this coming Sunday because we got 2 yesterday?

Episode 3 airs on 1/20.
Btron
AG
PooDoo said:

bam02 said:

Who is this Ali? His name is Purple Hayes!

I know you are joking with purple Hayes but can we start calling the characters by their character names and not there real names.
Ali= Wayne Hayes
Hogties
AG
Really enjoying this season. No idea where this is going but I'm along for the ride.
astros4545
AG
Loved the comment when he was talking in the bar with Amelia

"Don't tell me you're a Democrat."
Pignorant
AG
For sure some alluding to stuff that happened in Season 1 was in the episode 2.
oragator
Solid ratings so far.

https://www.vulture.com/2019/01/true-detective-season-3-premiere-ratings.html

Ali is just so good in this, as is his wife. That scene at the bar between them was so natural.

Hope it can continue this quality.
PooDoo
AG
Who do y'all think went to jail?
Ervin Burrell
AG
PooDoo said:

Who do y'all think went to jail?

All signs point to the father of the two kids that went missing which makes me feel like there'll be a twist and it's not him.
Southlake
Justin sighting!
astros4545
AG
Who put the peephole?

Uncle or brother? Or dad?
JD Shellnut
AG
astros4545 said:

Who put the peephole?

Uncle or brother? Or dad?

I'm guessing uncle. Dude already left his skin mags under the boys mattress. I just don't see the kid doing it.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Guessing the uncle had a lil pedo thing for the niece

Or at least that's what the director was trying to infer from the peep hole.
PooDoo
AG
I don't think it's the dad. During the interview he said his wife got them the big break with the info about the doll. Like they got someone with the Halloween doll/ghost reveal.

Did the uncle say he lived where they found the prints at Walgreens?
JD Shellnut
AG
PooDoo said:

I don't think it's the dad. During the interview he said his wife got them the big break with the info about the doll. Like they got someone with the Halloween doll/ghost reveal.

Did the uncle say he lived where they found the prints at Walgreens?

Back in 80 uncle was living in Missouri, I believe. Prints were found in Oklahoma in 90.
TCTTS
AG
Finally had a chance to catch up and I'm totally in. Nothing will ever come close to the greatness of season one - McConaughey and Harrelson are untouchable (McConaughey, in particular, was iconic as Rust, and one of my favorite TV characters ever) - but I'm totally fine with Pizzolatto & co going back to what works and hitting the same basic beats again. A new mystery keeps it fresh regardless.

This franchise weirdly feels like the Ocean's Trilogy to me. 11 was a classic, 12 was totally different and kind of sucked, but then 13 went back to its roots, doing what it did best, and was almost a cover or a remix of the first go-around. That's what season three feels like here. A remix. Except that I have a feeling the added/third timeline in this iteration is going to end up being crucial, and will ultimately take the events in a new direction. All I know is that even though it all feels familiar, I'm still super into it.

Also, I know everyone is really into Ali, and deservedly so, but I'm more surprised by Steven Dorff. His accent is subtly great, and it's cool seeing him as a genuine, middle aged man for the first time, as opposed to the slowly aging rock star vibe he's had for the past 20 years or so. I will always miss the philosophical complications of Rust and Hart, but I really like the duo we have here.
BenFiasco14
AG
First two episodes were great, I'm in. Already like it way more than season two. Should be fun!
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
Leggo My Elko
AG
I enjoyed the first 2 episodes quite a bit, one thing that kinda bothers me is we have already been told it's not solved and the wrong person was convicted. Guess we'll have to see how they decided to handle the story having already put that in. It does suggest the writers are confident in the story they are telling.

I'm also happy to see the actor that plays the Dad, Scoot McNairy, I think he's great as well as Ali. I love the character he played in Godless.
PooDoo
AG
Yeah, I was surprised I was not annoyed by Dorff when he was on screen. Just slightly distracted by how short he is then wondering if the propped him up on boxes while they were filming Blade.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.