*** MARVEL CINEMATIC UNIVERSE *** [Staff message on OP]

3,355,041 Views | 27148 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by C@LAg
Whos Juan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
I didn't have a problem with Michael Clarke Duncan playing Kingpin or Jamie Foxx as Electro. Guess I'm just naive that I don't automatically assume non traditional casting is made because of some liberal PC 'hey look I have a black guy' pandering. I'll just sit over here and get stoked for bad ass actors suiting up for roles everyone else thinks they have no business being in.

So much this. Nobody cried PC when Sean Connery played an Egyptian/Spaniard in Highlander or a Russian submarine commander in The Hunt for Red October, and the guy didn't even bother speaking in a different accent for those roles.
scubasteve304
AG
Well I did have a major issue with them making Red a black guy in Shawshank. I mean Morgan Freeman? C'mon. He added nothing. Should've been kept white like the book. Total stunt casting.
TajMaballer
AG
That makes sense, but he does say "reworking" implying a different direction. From my understanding Donald has been voicing MM for a few months now. I wouldn't be surprised if they just met with him about potentially playing the part or getting his opinion on it. Still, I'll wait for a more reliable source than Chance to release any casting news.
BigRobSA
quote:
quote:
I didn't have a problem with Michael Clarke Duncan playing Kingpin or Jamie Foxx as Electro. Guess I'm just naive that I don't automatically assume non traditional casting is made because of some liberal PC 'hey look I have a black guy' pandering. I'll just sit over here and get stoked for bad ass actors suiting up for roles everyone else thinks they have no business being in.

So much this. Nobody cried PC when Sean Connery played an Egyptian/Spaniard in Highlander or a Russian submarine commander in The Hunt for Red October, and the guy didn't even bother speaking in a different accent for those roles.
I thought Connery's role as The Spaniard in Highlander was laughable. That came out when I was a kid, though, so not too worried about it back then. I didn't even see it until the early 90's. THfRO, though, Connery did a good job, but yes, I thought that role was miscast, too, even though Connery is one of my favorite actors. He can't NOT do a Scottish accent it seems, like Mark Wahlberg and Matthew McConaughey always sound like themselves.

Thought Jamie Foxx was ridiculous as Electro, in general, regardless of being black. MCD was in Daredevil, not exactly a huge fan following for that back then, so I don't think anyone gave a dang about black vs white in that role. Hell, the whole movie was/is forgettable.

And it's okay for you to be naive. Maybe it'll let you enjoy what looks to be a crappy movie (the new FF) when it comes out.

Pro Ag
AG
As long as the character has no back story tied to their race or ethnicity it shouldn't matter and I don't care.

I think Donald Glover could do it, but agree with those that away he is now too old for it if he is going to be playing it with the Avengers.
Whos Juan
AG
quote:
MCD was in Daredevil, not exactly a huge fan following for that back then, so I don't think anyone gave a dang about black vs white in that role.

So the PC motivation of the casting decisions is relative to how much you care about it. Got it.
redline248
AG
If Peter Parker was black, Mary Jane wouldn't be his love interest, if you know what I'm sayin
Bruce Almighty
AG
quote:
THfRO, though, Connery did a good job, but yes, I thought that role was miscast

You take that back!
Ganondorf
AG
Spider-Man just needs to be snarky and witty. I don't really care what he looks like otherwise. He just can't be Jaden Smith.

Johnny Storm being black is a big move if they keep him and Susan as siblings because it would be kids from an interracial marriage most likely, or adoption. No major problem with it but they'll obviously have to being it up on the movie.
Ganondorf
AG
quote:
If Peter Parker was black, Mary Jane wouldn't be his love interest, if you know what I'm sayin

They could cast a girl Sir Mix-a-lot would be proud of.
Whos Juan
AG
BTW, all this talk about Donald Glover for the role and nothing about Italian Spiderman?
MooreTrucker
AG
quote:
Johnny Storm being black is a big move if they keep him and Susan as siblings because it would be kids from an interracial marriage most likely, or adoption. No major problem with it but they'll obviously have to being it up on the movie.
I agree with this. Making Johnny Storm black is about more than just "hey this guy is a good actor". There are a lot of good actors out there that are white. Or find a black actress to play Sue. As it is, it involves a change in the back story of two of the major characters.
jeffk
AG
It'd be funny if they just never addressed the differing races of Sue and Johnny.

Maybe even have other characters make subtle jokes about it and have those fly over the siblings' heads.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Just to break into the discussion here:

(Marvel related because he's Drax the Destroyer) Latino Review is reporting that Dave Bautista has been cast as The Kurgan in the Highlander remake. No one WILL EVER top Clancy Brown's iconic portrayal in the original, but I think Bautista is a great choice. Dude is on a roll right now.
wangus12
AG
I'm excited to see Bautista in the new Bond film
TexasAggie_02
AG
quote:
It'd be funny if they just never addressed the differing races of Sue and Johnny.

Maybe even have other characters make subtle jokes about it and have those fly over the siblings' heads.
it could be like the Vacation movies. except with different actors that are different races each time.
TajMaballer
AG
Damn, were y'all this salty during the last FF movie when Jessica Alba and Chris Evans were siblings? Or does that not count cause those movies were bad?
FL_Ag1998
AG
quote:
Just to break into the discussion here:

(Marvel related because he's Drax the Destroyer) Latino Review is reporting that Dave Bautista has been cast as The Kurgan in the Highlander remake. No one WILL EVER top Clancy Brown's iconic portrayal in the original, but I think Bautista is a great choice. Dude is on a roll right now.
redline248
AG
quote:
Damn, were y'all this salty during the last FF movie when Jessica Alba and Chris Evans were siblings? Or does that not count cause those movies were bad?
Jessica Alba is hot so she can be whatever she wants.
fig96
AG
quote:

Considering they dyed her hair blonde and that she doesn't have especially distinct Latin features to start with, not a really good comparison.

Also worth noting is that Jordan was also one of the bigger roles in Chronicle, which was directed by FF director Josh Trank. It may be a case of him really liking the actor as well as an attempt to be "cool" by the studio.
LeonardSkinner
quote:
quote:
THfRO, though, Connery did a good job, but yes, I thought that role was miscast

You take that back!

And he's not Russian. He's Lithuanian by birth, raised by his paternal grandfather, a fisherman.

It's a little known fact that all Lithuanian fishermen speak with what most would consider a Scottish accent.
jackie childs
quote:
I think he's tied up with Hitch 2: Son Of A Hitch
that's well done right there
jbsj9698
AG
quote:
And he's not Russian. He's Lithuanian by birth, raised by his paternal grandfather, a fisherman.

It's a little known fact that all Lithuanian fishermen speak with what most would consider a Scottish accent.

BigRobSA
It's like in both "300" movies...all of the Greeks sounded like Brits. I've known numerous Greeks from Greece. Not a single one had a British accent.
R0GUE
AG
quote:
It's like in both "300" movies...all of the Greeks sounded like Brits. I've known numerous Greeks from Greece. Not a single one had a British accent.
To be fair, I doubt real Spartan soldiers from 500 B.C. would sound anything like the Greeks you know either...
Bruce Almighty
AG

jeffk
AG
Next you shmucks are going to tell me that Moses sounded nothing like Charleton Heston.
BigRobSA
quote:
quote:
To be fair, I doubt real Spartan soldiers from 500 B.C. would sound anything like the Greeks you know either...
Which would be better....probably less gay-sounding.

Or maybe more, if 300 was an indicator.
fig96
AG
quote:
Next you shmucks are going to tell me that Moses sounded nothing like Charleton Heston.
No...he sounded like Val Kilmer. With a bit more of a stutter.

LeonardSkinner
quote:

We should just cast Daniel Day Lewis in the role, somehow that guy will figure out exactly what Moses sounded like.
Saxsoon
AG
And become Middle Eastern in the process.

And we have officially moved off of Marvel discussion
Bruce Almighty
AG
Spider-Man will be black and Daniel Day Lewis will play his father.
jeffk
AG
quote:
Spider-Man will be black and Daniel Day Lewis will play his father.

PERFECT.
AgMarauder04
AG
quote:
Spider-Man will be a black WOMAN and Daniel Day Lewis will play his father.

FIFY?
Saxsoon
AG
But still called spiderman
First Page Last Page
Page 27 of 776

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.